As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We are all tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free of this [Election]

19495969798100»

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i'd never really thought of hockey as a rich person sport. hockey equipment is pretty goddamn expensive...

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I think that the exact moment that thug became the "polite" way of calling someone a McGriddle (seriously, Weekend Update with Colin Jost and Michael Che is so good) is right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFYuwWCqmeU

Before that it was always used (in the instances I had seen/heard) to refer to pretty much anyone who was angry/violent/confrontational, but absolutely more towards black men. After that? God damn, thug was all over social media referring to Sherman. Now it's a near-constant find/replace for the N word.

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I live in Phoenix, on a golf course. Golf courses in a desert are like the definition of unsustainable.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    i'd never really thought of hockey as a rich person sport. hockey equipment is pretty goddamn expensive...
    Fuck yeah it is.

Especially if you're a goaltender.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Anybody who likes golf should find a copy of The Art of Coarse Golf, by Michael Green.
    The Coarse Golfer: One who normally goes from tee to green without touching the fairway... one who has to shout "Fore" when he putts.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    I live in Phoenix, on a golf course. Golf courses in a desert are like the definition of unsustainable.

Golf courses in the desert are a testiment to man's hubris.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i'd categorize tennis as a snooty rich-person type sport.

equestrian, certainly. anything involving horses that doesn't also involve a rodeo clown, generally.

jai alai.

hm...

formula 1 is totally a rich guy sport. it's like fancy european nascar!

field hockey? the only person i ever knew who played field hockey had an orthodontist and a dentist for parents.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Richard Sherman was definitely where it started to get big

His response to that was so heartbreaking too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPSiOCC8nvc

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Golf courses in deserts are about as bad as Roman vomitoriums where everybody eats and then pukes so they can eat more, and Roman vomitoriums weren't even a real thing

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Frisbee golf

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Truth.
    ac6mubidp8c9.jpeg

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Paladin wrote: »
    Frisbee golf

Frolf, Jerry!

KalTorak on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i'd categorize tennis as a snooty rich-person type sport.

equestrian, certainly. anything involving horses that doesn't also involve a rodeo clown, generally.

jai alai.

hm...

formula 1 is totally a rich guy sport. it's like fancy european nascar!

field hockey? the only person i ever knew who played field hockey had an orthodontist and a dentist for parents.

formula 1 is the richest of rich people sports

the cars start at $2.5m, but you'll be spending several times that on maintenance and equipment

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    My dad worked at a golf course so its his fault I know how to golf and have two sets of clubs in my house (both hand-me-downs from him buying/being gifted new clubs). I doubt I'd know how to golf if it weren't for that.

Opty on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I mean it's pretty easy to know "how" to golf. The rules aren't very complicated. I've never actually golfed but I know the rules through cultural osmosis.

That's not really what I'm talking about, I mean that I cannot hit the ball and make it go up in the air

that puts you on par with most golfers. I wouldn't worry about it

for business people a lot of things go down on the golf course so it's turned into a bit of a requisite skill

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Truth.
    ac6mubidp8c9.jpeg

Well this is obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    I've been to the driving range a few times.

And I used to play mini golf all the time.

Put together, that's pretty much golf, right?

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
    I know how to play golf but I hate it. there's no consistency at all and you can have a terrible round for no real reason. it's very antithetical to my preferred sport of swimming which is very input in - output out. you work hard - you swim faster.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Driving range is fun. Just let me hit them balls with impunity. Real actual golf is torture.

Maximum on
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Wait has nobody mentioned lacrosse yet

Lacrosse is the epitome of rich kid sports

It's especially galling because it was invented by native Americans

And now it is primarily played by spoiled white kids

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Jars wrote: »
    I know how to play golf but I hate it. there's no consistency at all and you can have a terrible round for no real reason. it's very antithetical to my preferred sport of swimming which is very input in - output out. you work hard - you swim faster.

I prefer to use golf as a quick divination for how my weekend is going to go.

A tee off where the ball sails straight down the fairway and has good position = I've used up all my luck for the weekend, someone has surely hit my car in the parking lot and not left a note

Farangu on

lacrosse is big here because this is the area it originated from

that said learning to play lacrosse is even more agonizing than golf

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

I totally mentioned lacrosse.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I totally mentioned lacrosse.

i guess butler did not come lacrosse your post

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

I had several friends who played hockey in high school. Their parents were doctors, a surgeon, a judge, a lawyer and a business owner. I guess I had one friend who's parents were not wealthy, but his parents spent a significant amount of time volunteering for the club, which helps lower the overall cost.

Aside from the equipment being expensive, you also have to pay for ice time and most weekends during the season or during club season you will have games and tournaments out of town so you also include travel and hotel costs.

It's not exclusively a rich person sport, but it's probably one of, if not the, most expensive team sports.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

Truth.
    ac6mubidp8c9.jpeg

But the hazards are much more interesting.

jiu0y8zy71rg.jpg

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Golf being a game for the wealthy is patently false. A vast majority of golfers use discount or used equipment on public courses which there are a hell of a lot more of in the world than country clubs. It is very much a working class activity.

Yeah
    I go golf, when I can
    I make $16/hr, I used to make 11 when I golfed frequently

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I go to the driving range with my brothers occasionally.

It's a fun way to pass a few hours and sometimes I even hit the ball past the 100 yard marker.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    My golf experience pretty much taps out at Top Golf. And I'm terrible at it

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
This discussion has been closed.