As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    MadPen wrote: »
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    Holy...

Hearthstone masters korea quarterfinals has ssanebong running freaking miracle druid against his opponent who has midrange shaman.

Oh that's sad. I thought I invented miracle druid :(

Not to be mean or rude or anything here, but nobody "invents" a deck, not really. Not even Reynad with Zoo. :P

Deck archetypes exist as "templates" of sorts, and then you have various people iterating and innovating on that core template. So even though Reynad claims he "invented" Zoo, it was really just an iteration/innovation of the current existing "Aggro Warlock" at the time. And yes, it was a HUGE leap forward and forever shifted the direction of Aggro Warlock, but even then, other people came along later and added other innovations and iterations.

Even if you think, I've created this cool niche deck, chances are someone else has as well, I mean. Even if it's not popular on ladder, even if no one else runs it. To be completely fair, Miracle Druid has existed in the past in various forms. Malygos usually being the most popular form (using Auctioneer to cycle for Malygos+Moonfires/Living Roots as a finisher).

Even deck archetypes that don't even EXIST yet, still aren't a single person's idea. I could be like "yo man, I'm gonna play AGGRO PRIEST", but I guarantee you other people have had similar ideas and tried similar decks.

I'm not trying to put you down or anything, simply trying to put things in perspective a bit. Deck archetypes are this sort of weird collaborative mind-share effort, even if you don't realize it at the time. :P

Yeah, I was *sort of* kidding. I mean, especially for me. Miracle Druid isn't that far out there. Also...I did try aggro priest :) Could not make it work.
    Ketherial wrote: »
    what's the "miracle" for rogue, druid, any class really, referring to? maly and small spells doing big damage? i originally thought it meant that you needed a miracle to have all the right cards to pull an otk with rogue.

So, my perspective on this is that is that miracle rogue is called that because you're losing, losing, losing, and then, bam *miracle* you win. The mechanics of that are through the auctioneer. So now a class can be called that just by running two auctioneers and kind of building the deck around them. Even if you don't have that "miracle" turn like rogue can have.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Interesting. Does LHS have a ban phase as well?

Only watching off and on, but I've heard them talk about bans, yes.

Yeah, each player brings four decks and one gets banned out. Seems most are banning warrior and rogue a lot. Shaman and warlock have been having a great showing this tournament, along with warrior and rogue. I don't think I've seen one Druid or Hunter deck this tournament.

You won't because Druid isn't really competitive. The nerfs to ancient of lore and keeper were dumb

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Holy...

Hearthstone masters korea quarterfinals has ssanebong running freaking miracle druid against his opponent who has midrange shaman.

Not to be mean or rude or anything here, but nobody "invents" a deck, not really. Not even Reynad with Zoo. :P

Deck archetypes exist as "templates" of sorts, and then you have various people iterating and innovating on that core template. So even though Reynad claims he "invented" Zoo, it was really just an iteration/innovation of the current existing "Aggro Warlock" at the time. And yes, it was a HUGE leap forward and forever shifted the direction of Aggro Warlock, but even then, other people came along later and added other innovations and iterations.

Even if you think, I've created this cool niche deck, chances are someone else has as well, I mean. Even if it's not popular on ladder, even if no one else runs it. To be completely fair, Miracle Druid has existed in the past in various forms. Malygos usually being the most popular form (using Auctioneer to cycle for Malygos+Moonfires/Living Roots as a finisher).

Even deck archetypes that don't even EXIST yet, still aren't a single person's idea. I could be like "yo man, I'm gonna play AGGRO PRIEST", but I guarantee you other people have had similar ideas and tried similar decks.

I'm not trying to put you down or anything, simply trying to put things in perspective a bit. Deck archetypes are this sort of weird collaborative mind-share effort, even if you don't realize it at the time. :P

Yeah, I was *sort of* kidding. I mean, especially for me. Miracle Druid isn't that far out there. Also...I did try aggro priest :) Could not make it work.
    what's the "miracle" for rogue, druid, any class really, referring to? maly and small spells doing big damage? i originally thought it meant that you needed a miracle to have all the right cards to pull an otk with rogue.

So, my perspective on this is that is that miracle rogue is called that because you're losing, losing, losing, and then, bam *miracle* you win. The mechanics of that are through the auctioneer. So now a class can be called that just by running two auctioneers and kind of building the deck around them. Even if you don't have that "miracle" turn like rogue can have.

The Miracle nomenclature comes from Magic The Gathering. There was a deck called Miracle Gro, which took advantage of a card that got bigger the more cards you played (it was Green, hence fertilizer nomenclature). This got ported into Hearthstone with the first Miracle Rogue decks using Questing Adventurer for a similar concept (hence pun on the name). Eventually people realized that QA isn't that great but playing lots of cheap cards around the Auctioneer they were using to draw all the cheap cards works super well, so that became the deck archetype but the name stuck.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Holy...

Don't feel too bad

I once "invented" some kind of mathematical algorithm and felt like all baws mode until I re-learned the exact same thing in calculus 2 a few months later. It still doesn't take away from the fact that you came up with the idea, or at least a big part of it

There are cases though where you've been fed scraps of the idea in your exposure and so "coming up" with the idea is more so just the culmination of said information and it's not AS original as coming up with it 100%

But, it's still legit deck building if you put something together
    It's one reason I rarely netdeck. I like figuring stuff out. i.e. My C'Noth druid deck is just beasting it... in casual at least. ^_^'

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Just opened my second legendary of the expansion: Herald Volazj. Not sure if there's a use for him in competitive decks, but it beats a Boogeymonster.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I could be like "yo man, I'm gonna play AGGRO PRIEST", but I guarantee you other people have had similar ideas and tried similar decks.

you rang?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    playing a game against mage and i've got a 7/1 flamewreath on turn 5. instead of pinging it, he plays servant of yogg (for shits and giggles i assume). it casts shadowstep on itself. marvelous! he emotes. he eats 9 damage from flamewreath and flametongue.

next turn, he pings the flamewreath and plays servant again. 1 damage moonstrike thing to his face. marvelous! hahahaha.

never play that dude.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Yeah I had Yogg shadowstep himself yesterday too but he first milled me out of cards and effectively destroyed himself, it would be nice if vanish and shadowstep fizzled instead of destroying the minion. I still won the game though as Yogg wiped my opponents board and gave me double Force of Nature. I also had 3 different lethal combos in hand just in case.

• KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Decided to play Arena because why not and went 0-3 with Priest (It was Priest, Hunter, Druid). Got Deathwing DragonLord in my pack. At least that was nice.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yogg is exciting and funny and often can turn losing games into even ones as a hail mary.

Servant of Yogg just trolls the shit out of you constantly.

yeah, yogg is great. i think he almost always nets positive.

servant of yogg though? that dude sucks.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Yesterday I dropped Yogg at 8 health. He wiped out my opponent's dominating board and summoned all three animal companions for me for lethal.

Then he pyro'd me in the face.

The Old Ones giveth, and the Old Ones taketh away.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I love you too Druid Cthun player:
    5fxlli6mypu2.gif

He was mad that his Mulch gave me Arch Thief.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    I am watching Reckful stream. He is currently singing "Kiss from a rose". What on earth am I doing?

I broke down and crafted N'Zoth. He seems to be in a ton of decks right now. Built both a Wild and Standard deck for the Priest, whom I lovingly call "Father Death."

sig.gif

I am dangerously close to dusting Boom so that I can craft Yogg. I will only get burned if Blizzard decides this whole Standard thing isn't working out for them.

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Kolosus wrote: »
    I am dangerously close to dusting Boom so that I can craft Yogg. I will only get burned if Blizzard decides this whole Standard thing isn't working out for them.

That will never happen. But even if it does, you can always just craft him again.

That said... don't dust him.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    yeah, yogg is great. i think he almost always nets positive.

Fucking garbage card. Ran it for a few days and never once got a positive effect from the battlecry.

Yogg himself, though. Had a guy play him the other day...and he was going to lose the next turn anyway, but it was awful. It 1) killed itself 2) buffed several of my minions, 3) discarded his whole hand, and 4) killed him from 9 health (without card draw). Not one bad thing happened to me. Ouch.

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular

Yeah, I've played that card exactly once. He killed himself with Dragon's Breath even though there were 4 other targets for the spell. Never again!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Oh god Forsen's aggro pirate weapon deck. New pirate cancer meta incoming.

Donnicton on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The one time Servant of Yogg-Saron was played against me he cleaved to clear my board.

BabyRage.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    finally got to use elemental destruction to my advantage and got to heal with hallazeal (SP?) and a lightning storm

AND I harrison'd a doomhammer

all against the same shaman too. that was a good back and forth game. I could tell he had bloodlust in hand (a mix of how he was playing and also him mousing over his cards after he ended his turn) when I cast ED, I was def dead otherwise, and he even 'well played' after I cast it. sure enough a couple turns later he used it to clear.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Well holy shit

GM6DF18.jpg

First ever double legendary pack. Didn't have either of them too.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
    Oh yeah, that reminds me. I had a zoo game where both Peddlers gave me Shifter Zerus. On turn 7 one of them turned into neu Mukla, letting me develop the 5/5 and play a banana immediately.

Those bananas are real useful in zoo, let me tell you.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited May 2016
    Well holy shit

GM6DF18.jpg

First ever double legendary pack. Didn't have either of them too.

Sweeet. I think they definitely turned up the legendary ratio. I've received 10 legendaries in less than 100 packs, and 3 of them are golden. That's pretty nuts considering that about matches my stats for every other set combined, except for those maybe out of 400 packs.

Mukla is pretty decent in Miracle Rogue. Considering him for Antonidas as well. He'd replace "You want it, I got it". Tough call...the discover mechanic is pretty hard to beat.

MadPen on
  • Spy112Spy112 VancouverRegistered User regular
    I am so tired of shaman decks... I think they match up really well against my death rattle hunter. Seems they can play such powerful cards with overload but without the drawback of lowercystals next turn cause the next card is low cost cause it's overload. I just can't ever get control in these matches.

Shaman seems to be on top in my books at the moment. Sucks cause I never play them :(

I have beaten a shaman, kiff inform the men

• ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    So I'm getting the hang of card cycling at a super basic level. Playing my level 1 heroes is tough but even at level 10 with a deck made for card cycling I can do well. Just beat a pally with my lock at 2 hp. Nice turn around after he had me down below 10 hp.

steam_sig.png
    God, BGH is still so good against some decks....and just a "lol you lose" top-deck against others. Pretty fucking torn about it. Which I guess means they did a good job with the nerf.

• VinnyRollsRoyceVinnyRollsRoyce United StatesRegistered User regular
    Old gods must have been the best update ever! I've been playing Hearthstone for a couple of weeks now so I can't wait till I get better at this game.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Druid is so removal-starved that it probably still wants BGH in its roster. Which sucks because Druids already has a bunch of five drops that are all but mandatory.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    BGH is really good against pretty much all of the cthun decks and some of the dragon decks. BUT it is pretty bad against the aggro decks except maybe zoo due to the sea giants and the broken as hell 7/7 for 4. Actually maybe I should just be throwing at least one into every deck...

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    God, BGH is still so good against some decks....and just a "lol you lose" top-deck against others. Pretty fucking torn about it. Which I guess means they did a good job with the nerf.

BGH is still druid's best removal option, I think. Which is super sad! That class is in a sorry state at the moment.

Messed around with a bunch of decks this weekend and consequently slid from Rank 8 to 12. Back to my priest - considering dropping to 1 Northshire because without Velen's Chosen, Circle or Nova it is really hard to get a lot of draws off it. Put in two Twilight Elders because 3/4 is a good stat line in the current meta. Kept two C'Thun's Chosen, because you need to have a 10 attack C'Thun by turn 7 for Vek'lor vs shaman, and you ain't got time to faff around healing with Hooded Acolyte (though she's still there, haha). Running 2x Excavated Evil for shaman as well, clearing out troggs, totems and spirit wolves is a huge deal right now. Agree that 2 Doomcallers is the greediest, subbed one for Cabal Shadow Priest who always has a target thanks to Brann, Call of the Wild, Flamewaker, aforementioned shamans and so on.

2 PW:S
    2 Northshire
    2 SW:P
    2 Beckoner of Evil
    2 SW:D
    1 Brann
    2 Disciple of C'Thun
    2 Twilight Elder
    2 C'Thun's Chosen
    2 Hooded Acolyte
    2 Excavated Evil
    2 Twilight Darkmender
    2 Entomb
    1 Cabal Shadow Priest
    1 Justicar Trueheart
    1 Twin Emps
    1 Doomcaller
    1 C'Thun

Twilight Darkmender is probably my favourite card? Quite apart from being healbot on steroids, 6/5 means she takes out bear druids and Vek'lor without a scratch if you've got Justicar up, and she's a primo PW:S target. Excavated Evil followed by her is such a huge swing turn. Definitely don't regret having all that removal, pays off big in control match ups. Also I think C'Thun coupled with the Molten nerfs has swung the handlock matchup in Priest's favour? Freeze mage is much closer now too. Conversely, Miracle Rogue feels like it runs roughshod this list, to the point where bringing back Auchenai + Circle might be necessary (probably over Hooded Acolyte and Elder?).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I think you would not be wrong to include BGH in this meta. The issue is whether BGH is better than other removal at your disposal and teching in different kinds of cards, like Ooze/Harrison Jones for weapon removal.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    man, alex still annoys the hell out of me. 15 damage is just way too ridiculous. i mean, what's the point of this back and forth at all if he's going to hit me for 15 damage on turn 9, then kill me on turn 10?

what bad card design. i feel like even yogg-saron, which is just like, "fuck it hail mary motherfuckers!" is better card design than alex.

I feel like Doomcaller is a bit greedy for many of the C'Thun decks. I put Ragnaros in the 8 spot and have been much happier with the immediate effect. Never once have I needed to Rez my C'Thun, and the 2/2 is negligible at that point in the game, IMO.

sig.gif

edited May 2016
    man, alex still annoys the hell out of me. 15 damage is just way too ridiculous. i mean, what's the point of this back and forth at all if he's going to hit me for 15 damage on turn 9, then kill me on turn 10?

what bad card design. i feel like even yogg-saron, which is just like, "fuck it hail mary motherfuckers!" is better card design than alex.

Lost to Freeze Mage? She's definitely rough but she's really slow, so she generally only gets value against other control decks.

3cl1ps3 on
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular

Alex doesnt' show up nearly as often in decks anymore besides freeze mage. She is really slow so unless you have a kill next turn or board clear and use it to heal you back up, she won't be played that optimally. Plus with all the healing being thrown around she's not a bad option to counterplay against Reno.

That's the other aggressive side of the game though. Can one decimate an opponent by T9 - T18 before they get around to playing their OTK combos? That's where draw plus planning comes into play. As much as decks infuriate me (like mill rogue) its actually pretty fun to race the clock and see if you can outduel someone.

That's why you see Alex designs and others in this game. New ways to kill with old ways of playing cards. I don't think alex ever gets nerfed though.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I kind of wish you could heal yourself to over 30, and not just with armor.

edited May 2016
    I hope everyone who was so upset at getting force roared every game asks for Doomhammer + rockbiter to get the axe, its' the same problem at 3 less mana

Roz on
This discussion has been closed.