As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Hyper Light Drifter] is on a CO-OP mission

12346»

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    About west boss:
    I can definitely see the West boss being an aggravatingly long slog without the shotgun and the reflective sword upgrades. There just aren't a lot of good opportunities to get damage on him otherwise.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    About west boss:
    I can definitely see the West boss being an aggravatingly long slog without the shotgun and the reflective sword upgrades. There just aren't a lot of good opportunities to get damage on him otherwise.

He does two dashes and then pauses, two dashes and then pauses. Later, it's 3. It's very easy to multi-dash in during the pause get off the "hold x" sword attack, and then dash out. I don't think you could do it without multi-dash, though. Then during his other attacks, you just blast away with the pistol.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    About west boss:

I beat the West boss without either of those things.

Granted, it took me a lot of tries, but all I really needed was the charge swing.

I was less referring to possibility and more to the fact that, to my memory, he didn't leave a lot of wide openings to tack on damage. So it helps to be able to get damage out of one of his attacks and have a thing that can tack on 4 points of damage with one trigger pull.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Question: Is there a point of no return in this?

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    obviously if you had a harder time with one than the other, that's not something I can just say you're wrong about

but if I were to recommend a play order to someone coming to the game, I'd probably say east>north>west

that's just as much due to the enemies you fight though, those in the west are way tougher than any of those elsewhere

overall I think the game is pretty well-balanced, it's just that the shotgun is clearly so much better than every other gun, even the one you get five minutes before the last boss

Hm, I'm finding the shotgun to be the worst weapon so far. Best is the one you get from west imo!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Question: Is there a point of no return in this?

No. Even after you beat the game your save is in a place you can go back to exploring the world.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    About west boss:

He does two dashes and then pauses, two dashes and then pauses. Later, it's 3. It's very easy to multi-dash in during the pause get off the "hold x" sword attack, and then dash out. I don't think you could do it without multi-dash, though. Then during his other attacks, you just blast away with the pistol.

His dashes are the key to defeating him, since you know where he will always be when he ends his dash, so you just have to dash in the same direction as him and you've got a bunch of free hits.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    obviously if you had a harder time with one than the other, that's not something I can just say you're wrong about

but if I were to recommend a play order to someone coming to the game, I'd probably say east>north>west

that's just as much due to the enemies you fight though, those in the west are way tougher than any of those elsewhere

overall I think the game is pretty well-balanced, it's just that the shotgun is clearly so much better than every other gun, even the one you get five minutes before the last boss

Hm, I'm finding the shotgun to be the worst weapon so far. Best is the one you get from west imo!

there are only 3 enemies in the game it can't kill in a single shot

I do like the west gun a lot but it locks you for a second and the knockback has pushed me off cliffs

I think it should have done 3 damage instead of 2

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the patch yesterday addressed some issues with the game:

Added frames of invincibility to dash
    Warp pads now refill health kits
    Achievements for Dash challenge + Soccer
    for KB+M: can now choose option for KB direction dash
    Sped up heal several frames
    Adjusted various room scenery/hitches across the world
    Fixed Alt Drifter dash catch
    Fixed a credits crash
    Can now go to full credits again after you beat the game through “credits” menu option

Oh man, not having i-frames on the dash screwed with my head so hard. It's one of those things like mapping "jump" to the bottom button on the controller or having "start" bring up the menu: it's been done so many times that it's just part of the language of game inputs. If you have a button that makes your character go ZWIP, they should be invulnerable for all or most of that ZWIP.

I'm not sure how i feel about invincibility frames for the dash, i'm afriad it'll make the game too easy.

But, hey, i'm happy about the soccer minigame giving a cheevo.

• MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Just won.
    Question:
    Curious what the deal with the interaction near the skeleton in the monolith room is? There's some potential interaction, but I never unlocked it. I found maybe 2/3rds of the monoliths and guess I'd have to find them all.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Just gets you another outfit, one that gives you an additional point of health.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm ok with invincibility frames, but have them only be a few at a certain point in the dash. If you make it for the whole dash, you're pretty much invincible.

Beat the final boss.

i was honestly underwhelmed, I expected
    at least two phases to the boss. it felt easier than it should've been!

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I just finished this! It's the first video game I've played in a while (not counting casual N64 with the gf and friends) and I really loved it. The music, the combat, the environmental storytelling, it all just felt really transportive.

It's funny to read through this thread and see how many people mention the grenades being important and barely anyone mentioned the charged sword attack. I remembered to use the grenades maybe 3 or 4 times, but used the sword spin constantly. Towards the end I barely even used the single slash, I would just dash and bait enemies to come close to me or just get up in their face and use the sword spin. Overall I probably had the most trouble with the West boss and the Scythe miniboss.

Now I kinda want to go back and find more keys and unlock the battle arenas.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Hyper Light Drifter now has local co-op if that is your kind of jam. No achievements while co-oping.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Fixed a credits crash
    Can now go to full credits again after you beat the game through “credits” menu option

Does this game still run like shit on a powerful computer?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote: »

Fixed a credits crash

Does this game still run like shit on a powerful computer?

it never did for me

but if you're talking about the 30fps cap then probably yes

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    This just hit PS4 and XB1. It's good. That's all for now.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna start playing this today. Are there any suggestions or tips I should know ahead of time?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    Grove wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna start playing this today. Are there any suggestions or tips I should know ahead of time?

Always remember that if you're getting frustrating you can return to the town and explore a different territory.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Just take your time to get used to the pace of combat. It's much more deliberate than you'd expect.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Awesome, thanks for the tips!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

get the multi-dash as soon as you can afford an upgrade

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

get the multi-dash as soon as you can afford an upgrade

And then the upgrade that lets you deflect projectiles with your sword after that.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I gave up in the first dungeon when I got lost breaking the boss seals. Is navigation in this game still impossible?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The map seemed pretty good to me. All the paths and whatnot are on the surface layer, and the underground layer shows all the links and exits. If you know where you want to go on the map it's pretty simple to find a route.

I dunno, the map didn't really serve much purpose other than providing a general sense of the environment, but describing the navigation as "impossible" is fairly absurd.

Also, there is no "first" dungeon.

• RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular

Don't go west right away.

• Only JonOnly Jon Registered User new member
    edited June 2017
    This was on sale for the PSN so I grabbed it; Has anyone experienced some pretty fierce slowdown in this game for the PS4? It's not about framedrops because the game still runs smoothly, only at 25-75% speed in certain rooms or areas. :confused: I can hardly find any mentions of this issue?
    And since the game is so mercilessly based on timing... Yeah.

Only Jon on
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I never had an slow down at all on the PS4 :/