As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    The problem with that line of thinking is...well. There is an overload cost for everything here.

Flamewreathed faceless is OP. No doubt about it. It probably should have a slight rebalancing.
    Feral spirit isn't really super powerful. Two 2/3s at 3 mana 2 overload isn't incredible really given that on turn 4 you either need to drop one of your subpar statted "fix overload" cards or it's just a 2 mana drop on turn 4.
    Golem is slightly above normal (given that it's a 3/4 totem at 2+1 mana). If it's just its stats the Golem is just slightly better than the Neutral Twilight Elder (which puts it at "Desirable, but hardly OP"). Its strength is that it enables Tunnel Trogg, Thing from Below and (Less importantly) Unstable Elemental and other Totembuff cards.

Overload allows you to frontload, but overtime it really messes with your high-end non-overload drops. It's no coincidence that there is no Shaman C'thun deck.

There is Eternal Sentinel and Lava shock, but they're just two cards and they pay a fair amount in stats compared to other cards of their rarity and cost.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    aggro shaman was not at all the worst or second worst class/deck last patch
    It's no coincidence that there is no Shaman C'thun deck.

i mean it probably has to do with there being no unique cool tools shaman get for running c'thun, much like how there's no c'thun paladin

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Cantido wrote: »
    I really dont like the fact that there is a meta, but it would only be a mistake if it were any other genre. "Okay, we're going to make Ryu garbage and Cammy invincible for two years and then swap..."

Um, that kind of happens? Fighting game characters see power go up and down between releases in the franchise/major updates.

See Metaknight being great initially in Smash Bros. Brawl, then trash in the next Smash, Diddy Kong going from a joke character in Brawl to unstoppable before being nerfed, Ivy being decent in Soul Calibur, insanely good in some of the sequels, brought back in line in the sequels after that . . .

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I really dont like the fact that there is a meta, but it would only be a mistake if it were any other genre. "Okay, we're going to make Ryu garbage and Cammy invincible for two years and then swap..."

Um, that kind of happens? Fighting game characters see power go up and down between releases in the franchise/major updates.

See Metaknight being great initially in Smash Bros. Brawl, then trash in the next Smash, Diddy Kong going from a joke character in Brawl to unstoppable before being nerfed, Ivy being decent in Soul Calibur, insanely good in some of the sequels, brought back in line in the sequels after that . . .

Regular patching and updating is a trait of this generation and its consoles.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Power swings seem natural to me, but I've grown up with Blizzard games and Mobas.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think a fully even power level is the goal, but game balance is bloody difficult.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    If any company deserves recognition for being good at balancing games, it's the company that made Starcraft.

That said, CCGs are a pretty different beast, especially with expansions. It's like if Starcraft introduced 2-3 brand new units per race every year.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Well, Blizzard basically said they aren't going to change cards anymore due to the new standard rotation. People complaining about a 4 card combo doing 20 damage, r u kidding me?

edited May 2016

Regular patching and updating is a trait of this generation and its consoles.

Revisions and updates to arcade fighting games were a thing well before this generation. PS2/Old XBox era Soul Calibur had regular revisions that tweaked character power levels in the arcade.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Shaman had all of that except Flamewreath last patch as well, but was still the worst or second worst class. That list I linked earlier on the page has only 5 WotOG cards.

Imo, it's dominance is more about all the other classes being significantly nerfed. Paladin and Druid lost a lot of their class cards and they were the major midrange decks last patch. Zoo has been forced back into a more aggro style than midrange. Patron lost Death's Bite which was enough to force them to drop Patron and essentially rebuild the deck. Shaman became the best midrange deck because everyone else fell off while Shaman's power level stayed the same.

Shaman terribleness was grossly exaggerated. They still had a tier 1 aggro deck. They weren't priest or hunter

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Well, Blizzard basically said they aren't going to change cards anymore due to the new standard rotation. People complaining about a 4 card combo doing 20 damage, r u kidding me?

People have always complained about >10 damage from hand in one turn, because it feels bad to lose to. The Doomhammer also represents another 12 damage on its own.

So basically enough damage to kill someone at full health!

But yeah we should probably accept our new reality for the next year, it's extremely unlikely Blizzard will change anything until the next set rotation occurs.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    I've got 300 wins as shaman prior to OG. I like the class a lot, it has great tools. It was damn near where it needed to be with Tunnel Trogg and Totem Golem, and Hallazeal + Thing from Below were poised to shore up that midgame. Flamewreathed Faceless is a gross over-correction. Like, Thing from Below is a 0 mana 5/5 taunt, and no one is talking about it, that's how dumb Flamewreathed is.

Similarly, I don't think anyone ever has complained about Grove Keeper specifically - just that silence is a powerful, not particularly fun effect that should be changed to either remove buffs or ignore wording, but not both. 2/4 is a bad statline for 3 mana, let alone 4 mana. 2/2 for 4 is just... I mean, Flamewreathed is 7/7 for 4*.

This isn't even comparing Mulch and Hex, Earth Shock and Grove Keeper, Sentinel and Innervate, Rockbiter and Feral Rage, Swipe and Lightning Storm, weapons and... Savage Combatant I guess?

Ah, the salt is so real.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    zoo warlock is disgusting. id rather play against secret paladin

• imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    hey yeah let's give a class with near infinite resources a card that lets its one drops trade with 6 drops.

Roz wrote: »
    Shaman had all of that except Flamewreath last patch as well, but was still the worst or second worst class. That list I linked earlier on the page has only 5 WotOG cards.

Imo, it's dominance is more about all the other classes being significantly nerfed. Paladin and Druid lost a lot of their class cards and they were the major midrange decks last patch. Zoo has been forced back into a more aggro style than midrange. Patron lost Death's Bite which was enough to force them to drop Patron and essentially rebuild the deck. Shaman became the best midrange deck because everyone else fell off while Shaman's power level stayed the same.

Shaman terribleness was grossly exaggerated. They still had a tier 1 aggro deck. They weren't priest or hunter

i think one thing to remember when discussing things that are bad, is that a lot of classes still have niche, narrow toolkits even if they're good at their niche

i would still say that the shaman toolkit was terrible pre-patch, even though shammy aggro was great. and as a result you could make the argument that shaman as a whole is doing poorly.

it's the same reason i keep slagging off rogues - yeah, miracle is still a good deck right now. but as long as blizzard keeps designing rogue the way they are, a miracle style deck is the only kind of rogue deck that can be good, and when it is good feels borderline exploitative. as opposed to something like warrior, which has a nice, well-rounded toolkit that enables multiple deck archetypes to exist within the class

liEt3nH.png

i think one thing to remember when discussing things that are bad, is that a lot of classes still have niche, narrow toolkits even if they're good at their niche

i would still say that the shaman toolkit was terrible pre-patch, even though shammy aggro was great. and as a result you could make the argument that shaman as a whole is doing poorly.

it's the same reason i keep slagging off rogues - yeah, miracle is still a good deck right now. but as long as blizzard keeps designing rogue the way they are, a miracle style deck is the only kind of rogue deck that can be good, and when it is good feels borderline exploitative. as opposed to something like warrior, which has a nice, well-rounded toolkit that enables multiple deck archetypes to exist within the class

Rogue is obviously designed to throw out multiple cards a turn. It makes sense since it fits with their WoW design but it makes it really tough for them to not gravitate towards combo decks.

Steam Profile
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    hey yeah let's give a class with near infinite resources a card that lets its one drops trade with 6 drops.

I just beat a hyper aggressive zoo list with double doomguard, double sea giant, double soulfire, he spent every turn ignoring my minions and going face

One turn he only had a 1/1 on board so he power overwhelminged it twice and domed me, then got 2 more PO from peddlers

I won with 1 HP

they're also petrified of breaking rogue so they try as hard as they can to not print more cheap spells and keep trying to print Expensive Mans like Anub or the C'thun guy

and then it fails because the rogue core toys are the same

liEt3nH.png
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    This aggro zoo totem Bloodlust Shaman madness is, uh, absolutely unstoppable. I'm enjoying it. And I'm especially enjoying mirror matches of it.

Yes, it's shameless netdecking. But hey, for the first time ever, I'm enjoying playing Shaman.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    idk, there are lots of shaman but I have yet to feel like I couldn't do anything to stop them. certainly not more than I feel against any given class that draws well when I draw badly.

not worse than a solid secret pally or zoo draw

we can compare all day but the fact is it's not exactly like force/roar. there are a bunch of differences, it's just the current Most Annoying Card Combo. there will always be one, there will always be a class that threatens the most from an empty board, etc.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Old gods must have been the best update ever! I've been playing Hearthstone for a couple of weeks now so I can't wait till I get better at this game.

I've been playing for just over a year now, and I also can't wait until I get better at this game. Any day now...

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    Old gods must have been the best update ever! I've been playing Hearthstone for a couple of weeks now so I can't wait till I get better at this game.

I've been playing for just over a year now, and I also can't wait until I get better at this game. Any day now...

It'll happen. My wife was playing for a long time and couldn't ever get past rank 15. All of a sudden, something clicked and now she's pushing rank 5 every month.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Somehow I feel like it is way easier to hit higher ranks than before. Pretty much no matter what I play I still manage to win more than I lose. Not sure if it's because everything is balanced or people can't play well if they aren't told what to play.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Somehow I feel like it is way easier to hit higher ranks than before. Pretty much no matter what I play I still manage to win more than I lose. Not sure if it's because everything is balanced or people can't play well if they aren't told what to play.

Teach me your secrets! I've been stuck around 10-12 for over a week now and it's getting super fucking frustrating.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think a fully even power level is the goal, but game balance is bloody difficult.

it's difficult for a game to be both balanced and interesting

If they ever get nerf gadgezstan into the ground, the rogue class will be fundamentally broken from the ground up. It's terrible design on so many levels, because Auctioneer probably shouldn't work the way that it does, and the card existing limits design space - plus it was already nerfed for spare parts which weren't even a big part of the rogue class.

I would not want my classes future to hang on whether or not a neutral minion with an overpowered ability gets changed. I feel for you :(

MNC Dover wrote: »

Teach me your secrets! I've been stuck around 10-12 for over a week now and it's getting super fucking frustrating.

Honestly i've just always been assuming that they have "it", with it being whatever card is going to wreck you at any point in time. Most people are just slamming down their OP cards and not holding much back, it basically always lets you plan for worst case scenario and will usually put you ahead when they don't have it.

Its probably why I have the hardest time against freeze mage. They DO always have "it" and there isn't a whole lot of counterplay to freezes other than playing a different deck with more spells.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Tempo warrior has been working great for me ranks 15 to 6, only matchup that seems really bad is Dragon priest which has too many taunts and ways to steal kill low dmg minions.

Lots of games it might feel like your digging for an answer but every card synergizes so well it usually helps. Only pulled cursed blade once and I was going to lose any way.

PSN SeGaTai
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I'll add another endorsement for tempo warrior (rank 6 so far). Very fun to play and has reasonable matchups against much of the field. I've had trouble with control warrior and other heavy control decks that can run you out of threats, but against aggro and other midrange you're in a good position.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    How critical is Malkorok to the Tempo Warrior build?

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    He's really handy. I'm sure you could find an alternative but you'd be taking away a lot of power. If you have the black knight, he could go in that slot. Otherwise you could try nef or ysera for late game power at the cost of tempo.

Malkorok can be any 6 drop. He's sometimes slightly over costed and sometimes blowout value (Doomhammer/Gorehowl/etc.). Not particularly better than Sylvanas though.

Malkorok can also cause you to be in very bad situations if it gives you a cursed blade, sometimes it may be better to just go with another big beefy thing.

Aggro Shaman was certainly a strong deck last patch, but it was also the only deck the class had. It's a problem when your opponent knows 28/30 of your cards at the mulligan screen because you only do one thing and basically only have one list.

• KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Kibler just pulled the infamous Prep -> Coin. It was awesome.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Malkorok can also cause you to be in very bad situations if it gives you a cursed blade, sometimes it may be better to just go with another big beefy thing.

There are 20 standard weapon cards. Which means you have a 5% chance to draw cursed blade. If there is a problem with Malkorok, thats not really it. Its the same thing with shredder occasionally dropping a doomsayer and wiping your board and that did not stop players from running shredder.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Think I'm going to stop playing HS until Agro Shaman is phased out. This is ridiculous.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    How critical is Malkorok to the Tempo Warrior build?

I subbed in Obsidian Destroyer. He's been ok, a big threat that has to be dealt with. I've considered switching for Sylvanas, Gorehowl or a Spellbreaker though

djFindus on
    Aggro Shaman was certainly a strong deck last patch, but it was also the only deck the class had. It's a problem when your opponent knows 28/30 of your cards at the mulligan screen because you only do one thing and basically only have one list.

the plight of shaman - they only have one tier one deck list

while at least 3 or more classes have none

• MummBrahMummBrah Registered User regular
    It's just so hard to complain about aggro shaman, and even moreso about zoo, because they're such HONEST decks in the same way old face hunter was

They either blow you out quickly or they lose

And you know the ladder is gonna be filled with them so you already know how to tech any ladder deck against them

As long as I don't have to deal with the complete garbage of secret pally on ladder I'll take these lame - but honest - decks any day

*curves out, dumps hand, plays divine favor, continues to dump hand*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.