As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good Bye East, now the staking for west

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    Our plan is to open PAX West panel submissions and PAX 10 submissions early next week. After that will come PAX South badge registration set for May 17th, and sometime after THAT will be PAX West registration.

Be strong!

Wait, am I understanding this... I can relax regarding PAX West badges until after May 17th?

I am having difficulty comprehending the idea of an actual timeline coming from an official staff member.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    So whats this about Club PA having early pass purchasing? This is a thing? How soon prior to official sales can you get them?

noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    So whats this about Club PA having early pass purchasing? This is a thing? How soon prior to official sales can you get them?
    It was something that happened in previous years; ClubPA doesn't offer it anymore.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

It is a non-guaranteed thing that has been going on since Prime 2014. It has usually popped up a couple months before tickets go on sale to the public and you only have about a week or so to make your purchase. I'm sure there are little caveats that need to be met to be eligible & if too many people sign up just for the tickets it will probably be taken away. I am not a Club PA member and this info is just gathered from observations.

IhtGIyi.png
  • solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    Our plan is to open PAX West panel submissions and PAX 10 submissions early next week. After that will come PAX South badge registration set for May 17th, and sometime after THAT will be PAX West registration.

Be strong!

Wow, I'm pretty sure that's the most specific PA has ever been about when PAX West badges will go on sale. Someones getting fired! Thanks. I'm wondering why PAX South badges are going on sale so early, though.

xg81x9uysw01.png
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    solomon123 wrote: »
    I'm wondering why PAX South badges are going on sale so early, though.
    Agreed! That's incredibly early for a January show!

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    solomon123 wrote: »
    I'm wondering why PAX South badges are going on sale so early, though.
    Agreed! That's incredibly early for a January show!

Robert mentioned that they are having an issue where South & Aus are filling up their shows, but not until very late. This makes planning very hard. So I assume a reason they are launching South tickets so early is to allow people more time to buy them and also when West sells out crazy fast they will be able to point to South and say they still have tickets available to that Pax. That should help boost the early sales a bit.

IhtGIyi.png
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    We didn't want West ticket buyers getting panic attacks when we start tweeting about PAX South badges going on sale. Occasionally, very rarely, we are nice people. Or maybe someone is getting fired....

As far as why South Reg is so early, it's a newer show and it doesn't sell out quite so fast making it less of a priority to get badges available early. When PAX West/Prime was a young whippersnapper show, it took a while to sell out as well (if it ever did), and as such we'd open up registration for it a lot earlier than we do now.

SkeleVader wrote: »

Robert mentioned that they are having an issue where South & Aus are filling up their shows, but not until very late. This makes planning very hard. So I assume a reason they are launching South tickets so early is to allow people more time to buy them and also when West sells out crazy fast they will be able to point to South and say they still have tickets available to that Pax. That should help boost the early sales a bit.

Ah I hadn't heard about that. Makes sense then. Thanks for the explanation!

• megashubmegashub Registered User new member
    We didn't want West ticket buyers getting panic attacks when we start tweeting about PAX South badges going on sale. Occasionally, very rarely, we are nice people. Or maybe someone is getting fired....

As far as why South Reg is so early, it's a newer show and it doesn't sell out quite so fast making it less of a priority to get badges available early. When PAX West/Prime was a young whippersnapper show, it took a while to sell out as well (if it ever did), and as such we'd open up registration for it a lot earlier than we do now.

Really appreciate the visibility. Thank you, David. I know that trying to wrangle an event of this size and popularity is a herculean task and that solving tough challenges around venue capacity and ticket sales (fairness) are often full of compromises, no-win situations and long-term, strategic planning.

I'm curious if you can share any thoughts or ideas PA has around ways to make access to PAX less painful going forward.

As a consumer trying to vie for tickets, the competition gets stiffer every year, and improvements in both automation and counterfeiting are only making it harder to get a fair shake. I understand there's no silver bullet to this problem, and I don't think it's realistic to expect one.

Once again, thanks for the dialog.

• cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Be strong!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

And my work thanks you and my F5 thanks you!

cbellevie on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    megashub wrote: »
    I'm curious if you can share any thoughts or ideas PA has around ways to make access to PAX less painful going forward.

As a consumer trying to vie for tickets, the competition gets stiffer every year, and improvements in both automation and counterfeiting are only making it harder to get a fair shake. I understand there's no silver bullet to this problem, and I don't think it's realistic to expect one.
    Sadly, I can't share much you don't already know. As long as there are significantly more people who would like to attend PAX West than the number of people we can fit in the buildings, there will always be frustrated people.

• MarioManiacMarioManiac Registered User regular

Be strong!

Why are you giving advance notice of when PAX South 2017 badges are going on sale? I thought you didn't send tweets out til literally the moment they went on sale. At least that's how it was for PAX East.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!"
    signature_zpsh4qstnbp.png
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/MarioManiac
  • CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular

Be strong!

Why are you giving advance notice of when PAX South 2017 badges are going on sale? I thought you didn't send tweets out til literally the moment they went on sale. At least that's how it was for PAX East.

Khoo has talked a couple of times that PAX South buyers tend to wait a long time to buy tickets, which makes it harder to plan the event - there's been complaints from some people that bigger devs aren't showing up at South and it may be because PAX can't give them numbers (PURE SPECULATION THROUGH OBSERVATION! There's nothing official I have on that, but it would make sense). South is still pretty small - there were tickets still on sale the day of the event - so they're trying to boost early sales. I have a feeling that they will be doing something like what they just did with Aus (if you buy your tickets and hotel early you get a discount etc) to try and boost registration.

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Be strong!

They don't give advance notice for PAXen with high demand. South doesn't have that problem yet. Additionally it needs more sales earlier to help show planning (so they can tell convince exhibitors to show up). So by announcing the date South can get some hype and make a nice spike early on to get the numbers rising.

I'm happy for the announcement, but South and West tickets going on sale (relatively) close to each other is gonna murder my wallet. First world problems I guess, :P

edited May 2016
    I'm happy for the announcement, but South and West tickets going on sale (relatively) close to each other is gonna murder my wallet. First world problems I guess, :P

That was my first thought, tbh.

And then I remembered... I was already planning to enforce for South again. xD

edit

AH!! PANIC!

I just noticed the dates of a class I agreed to go to in NY...
    May 18-19... And the 20th will be on an airplane.

Luckily, JetBlue has Wifi on their flights... But... during my class...

I may have failed my watch already :'(

I must ensure all friends/family are aware of my situation.

The Aviatrix on
  • celycely Registered User regular
    I'm not sure when it happened, but the PAX West website has been updated with 2016 dates and the "Registration Opens Soon" blurb. This doesn't actually mean much since they've already said badges won't go on sale before May 17th, but thought people would like to know regardless.

rqUHgCM.png
  • LobstarLobstar Nades All Day East-SideRegistered User regular
    Hey! Its after May 17 now!! I wonder if they go on sale today ...

• Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
  • RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    g90onaz0gjst.jpg

But surely passes will go on sale today. Please?

tw787Xr.png

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Ha, I'll laugh when it's not until June.

• XshinobiXshinobi Registered User regular
    Will they announce the sale dates prior? Like they did with South?

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Xshinobi wrote: »
    Will they announce the sale dates prior? Like they did with South?

Nerp.

South was special, because they need to boost advance ticket sales.

Am I remembering correctly that last year was pretty quick after when we first really expected them to drop? Last year felt like it was much less stressful and involved much less camping out than the 3 years prior.

• DapperPumpkinDapperPumpkin Registered User regular
    cbellevie wrote: »
    Am I remembering correctly that last year was pretty quick after when we first really expected them to drop? Last year felt like it was much less stressful and involved much less camping out than the 3 years prior.
    Yep, like this year, last year they also gave us a few weeks where they guaranteed that we didn't need to be on alert. However, last year they also put them on sale on a Thursday at noon when previous years they did Wednesday in the morning, so try not to look too hard for patterns 8-)

• Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    so begins the stakeout of F5ing for badges, good luck everyone

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
    cbellevie wrote: »
    Yep, like this year, last year they also gave us a few weeks where they guaranteed that we didn't need to be on alert. However, last year they also put them on sale on a Thursday at noon when previous years they did Wednesday in the morning, so try not to look too hard for patterns 8-)

Yah, not trying to look for patterns, more wishful thinking that we will not have to wait weeks, which leaves me feeling really crappy about it all and takes me a month to recover. Of course, come PAX, forget all that ;-)

Well, the dates, sooon, and countdown timer are up on the website. That tends to mean soon is sooner than most would like...

Id put money on this week or next, as the last week of may has a US stat holiday is I am not mistaken. They never seem to go on stat holiday weeks, and at the end of May we are hard up on the 100 days to West.

That said, watch it be June.

Attendee:
    It's past 1 PM now, is it safe to leave the computer?

tw787Xr.png

• I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »

it is never safe...

ZYseqtZ.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »

No US PAX has gone on sale after ~1PM PST. Take that for what you will.

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Lazorz wrote: »
    It was something that happened in previous years; ClubPA doesn't offer it anymore.

What are you talking about?!?!?! The emails and link for early access went out in March of this year.... Maybe you just missed it? Or are trying to 'Keep it a secret' still???

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
    Id put money on this week or next, as the last week of may has a US stat holiday is I am not mistaken. They never seem to go on stat holiday weeks, and at the end of May we are hard up on the 100 days to West.

How much money? :p

I hope it goes up before the end of May, gives me plenty of time to plan but I'm thinking more than likely it'll happen in June. Either way, I'm still grateful for the window they gave us for when badge sales could potentially go up. I'm happy I don't have to be vigilant throughout March/April/May entirely.

Be ready for your notifications to go off since BYOC for south is now open.

tw787Xr.png

• larry365larry365 Registered User regular
    Good luck everyone!

How much money? :p

I hope it goes up before the end of May, gives me plenty of time to plan but I'm thinking more than likely it'll happen in June. Either way, I'm still grateful for the window they gave us for when badge sales could potentially go up. I'm happy I don't have to be vigilant throughout March/April/May entirely.

Its Canadian money - fairly sure you won't want it. The window is great. Makes me much calmer xD

Attendee:
    Such minimal chatter of anticipations and worries.

WHERE IS THE HYPE?! Have people just not expected badges to go on sale until next week?

Such minimal chatter of anticipations and worries.

WHERE IS THE HYPE?! Have people just not expected badges to go on sale until next week?

We were all too busy hitting F5 all morning?

I have been quietly staking out the PAX Twitter all day....

This discussion has been closed.