As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stellaris Thread

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
edited May 2016 in Social Entropy++
This game seems fairly popular so let's get a thread going for it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Stellaris is a 4X empire-building game in a space setting from Paradox, known previously for their notoriously dense and historically accurate grand strategy games set in historical periods of Europe. To describe the game in terms of other things, Stellaris is like Crusader Kings and Master of Orion had a baby and then watched a lot of great sci-fi shows together as the baby grew up, and also the baby was much more streamlined and accessible and better tutorialized than its dad, Crusader Kings... this analogy is getting away from me but you get the point.

Here's a giant bomb quicklook of it for more detail on what the game actually plays like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmX5TElLns

I don't have this game yet because money's tight but I'm super into it, so post tales of space politics adventures for my enjoyment.

Also there's multiplayer! @Dubh is trying to organize some! But similarly to Civ 5 multiplayer it takes a pretty significant amount of time coordination so here's a spreadsheet Dubh made for people to cross-reference when they are available for a hypothetical multiplayer game!

BahamutZERO.gif
BahamutZERO on

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Must not be THAT popular.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    quiet, you

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I kinda want a velvet worm monarchy with a velvet worm royal family and velvet worm princess, but I'm not really down with slavery and having -10% army damage from being pacifist also sounds unappealing

Platy on
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I just lost my first game of Stellaris after like 6 hours. Turns out trying to remake xenomorphs, including the repugnant trait then not really building up much of a military is a bad idea. Basically every race I encountered I hated me but was cool to just ignore me. at least they were until one decided to declare war with a fleet 10x the power of mine and wipe me out.

Now i'm playing the prefab militarist humans.

10% damage penalty just means you need to bring 10% more troops

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    How's it fare compared to GalCiv2?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Started playing this yesterday. My people are the Otaga Covenant, a race of religious pacifist mushrooms bent on scientific advancement and gradual expansion.

The only other empire I've seen so far is my immediate neighbors, the Otaga Hegemony, a race of materialist warlike mushrooms bent on being a real pain in my ass.

Zellpher on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    quiet, you

I brought this to life for you!

10% damage penalty just means you need to bring 10% more troops

You also receive less opportunities for weapon research and I don't wanna get stomped by Space Prussia

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Im pretty mad I still wont be home for an hour to get my space on

Well not really but ive been thinking about this all day

icGJy2C.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    This game is super rad

I wish I had more time to play it but it's real neat

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Started a few games yesterday and was lucky that I looked at the clock when I did, just before 1am. One more turn...

This game seems great so far

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    okay there still is the voucher. I have an important question: can I be a space turtle space pirate society?

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I refuse to get tired of the soundtrack.

Also getting a kick out of the fact that I found this large complex system called Sol, where the third planet featured a bunch of pre-spaceflight nation states in a global war between two blocs and just on the verge of developing atomics...

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    qhxkFaI.jpg

stellaris mods are real

edited May 2016
    Jars wrote: »
    okay there still is the voucher. I have an important question: can I be a space turtle space pirate society?
    I don't think you can make a truly anarchic society, the three ethos axises you can pick among when making your civilization are militarist-pacifist, individualist-collectivist, and materialist-spiritualist, but you'll always have a powerful government of some kind in charge of it.
    http://www.stellariswiki.com/Ethos

Space pirates sound like they would be at least militarist. The way the ethos selection works is each ethos axis has 2 levels in each direction or neutral, and you get enough points to get either one level towards one of the ends of each axis, or one axis to level 2 and one axis to level 1 with the last axis at neutral. Also you can just not spend all the ethos points if you'd rather not use them all.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Countdown to the Mass Effect mod pack, aka "when Stellaris is truly complete"

6F32U1X.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Army damage penalty is literally just a damage penalty to your troops fighting in the surface of a planet.

It's not actually a hugely significant penalty.

As for pirates, I'm thinking Fanatic Individualist, Materialist, and I dunno maybe Military Republic?

Edit: Actually I guess it'd have to be Direct Democracy

Maddoc on
    I don't think you can make a truly anarchic society, the three ethos axises you can pick among when making your civilization are militarist-pacifist, individualist-collectivist, and materialist-spiritualist.
    http://www.stellariswiki.com/Ethos

Space pirates sound like they would be at least militarist. The way the ethos selection works is each ethos axis has 2 levels in each direction or neutral, and you get enough points to get either one level towards one of the ends of each axis, or one axis to level 2 and one axis to level 1 with the last axis at neutral. Also you can just not spend all the ethos points if you'd rather not use them all.

Ethos selection is one step and that leads to the actual possible government choices (like direct democracy versus indirect democracy versus some kind of monarchy, etc).

A straight-up True Scotsman style anarchic society would probably be one of the advanced government types, which makes sense because that kind of society would take some work to build.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I guess you could do Fanatic Individualist, Militarist, Military Republic for Pirates too

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

stellaris would feel empty if you tried to mod it with mass effect's universe

there's not enough of it

I was thinking inidividualist for pirates but individualists hate slavery
    I guess if you're a civilization of romantic noble pirates as opposed to dirty cutthroat asshole pirates

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

there's not enough of it

Who says you have to only play with Mass Effect stuff

6F32U1X.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    asshole turtles, definitely

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

there's not enough of it

Who says you have to only play with Mass Effect stuff

that's just what I assumed you meant when you said mass effect mod pack

like someone's gonna do a full star trek mod pack and it's gonna be real as shit, or a star wars eu one

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Hello, as a friendly Eckspor, and representative of the Eckporers' Society, I am pleased to meet every member of this galactic community

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    I was thinking inidividualist for pirates but individualists hate slavery
    I guess if you're a civilization of romantic noble pirates as opposed to dirty cutthroat asshole pirates

Guess you could also do Fanatic Materialist, Militarist

That also opens up some other government options like Military Dictatorship, which allows you to have larger navies. Also you can build larger ships.

pirates are such a weird mishmash of tropes, sometimes there's a pirate king, sometimes they democratically vote on stuff

BahamutZERO.gif
    I just had pirates break off from my faction and they ruined my shit

edited May 2016
    Materialist is also kind of a weird ethos in this, because you think "Materialist space empire" and you immediately think of some innately greedy space race or something

But then actually it's the super science ethos?

Like, fortunately both the greedy and the scientific advancement concepts behind it fit my empire thematically, but it's still weird for applying it to some other concepts

Maddoc on
    I think it's more "materialist" as in "no religion, please no"

Looking at the wiki, it seems like any ethos can pick do a megacorporation-style government, but only societies with a materialist bent can choose to be a science-above-all-else type government.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Yesterday I made a race with the 5 cost +20% habitability ability.

Then found 3 gaia worlds right outside my starting sector.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    Yesterday I made a race with the 5 cost +20% habitability ability.

Then found 3 gaia worlds right outside my starting sector.

lmao

Ahahahahahahahahaha, just had the "Comet Sighted!" event.

Can't be a proper Paradox game without that one...

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    my plan for making a pirate republic is to go fanatical individualist and use the direct democracy government type where everyone votes on every piece of legislation ever

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    This is a good game

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I got this today, my science turtle empire is tootling along at a steady rate.