As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stellaris Thread

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    show my your galaxies

i've got a rebellion state in a neighbouring territory and have 2 of the advance starts kind of close to me

LETS GO

gR7czAW.jpg

edit: I am the sovereign mith-fell states btw

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So this looks rad. Is it a bit more accessible than Crusader Kings because I had a real fuckin hard time trying to learn that game.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh I forgot the 4th ethos axis, xenophobia vs. xenophillia

BahamutZERO.gif
    So this looks rad. Is it a bit more accessible than Crusader Kings because I had a real fuckin hard time trying to learn that game.

from what I've watched of it in the quick look and such it seems more accessible, but I haven't played it myself to confirm that.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

If you are at all familiar with 4x games it is way easier to get into than a ck or EU. Even if you aren't I would say it is still the easiest Paradox game to learn I have played.

Kane Red Robe on
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    It's definitely closer to civ 5 than CK2 in difficulty.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    This seems like a cool game

How much is it

I am lazy

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

The tutorial's pretty good at walking you through the first steps in a way that's integrated into the gameplay, as opposed to a bunch of disconnected scenarios.

It's complex so far but that's as much the setting as the gameplay. At least from what I'm seeing so far, it lowers you into the pool gradually as opposed to Crusader Kings' chucking you in the deep end. (Or Victoria II's bolting anvils to you and then chucking you in the deep end.)

40 united states quatloos

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    This seems like a cool game

How much is it

I am lazy

Forty buckeroos

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    This game is relaly fookin good

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    30 on gmg

how do I kill people. my blue lasers are not killing people, should I use mining lasers instead

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I went into this one pretty blind, which has been fun. Led to excellent moments like one, maybe an hour in: "Hmm, I'm pretty comfortable in my star system, here. Got some orbital platforms, got some buildings. I've scoped out my two neighboring systems, but I wonder how big this thing is. Lemme just give the ollllll' scroll wheel a spin, and OH MY GOD IT GOES ON FOREVER."

edited May 2016

Its a easier to play europa 4 with an emphasis on building your species/sandboxing in a large environment instead of europe and the new world. And even in eu4 you can spend a lot of time early fighting huge wars and trying to not die to france. This games a lot less pressing and the mechanics are streamlined

CkII was also about personal relationships and territory claims which are confusing as heck since I had never heard of de jure (I spelt this wrong didnt I) before ckII at all but well it was a thing!

The game still only has a eh tutorial but everything seems relatively straight forward or laid out and it doesnt have nearly the same feeling of overwhelmingness (disclaimer I played to many 4x paradox games) or a vicious fail state.

You can also min/max the hell outa these games but you dont have to and if anyone says im wrong im to busy building a federation.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited May 2016
    Oh fourty doll hairs? That's not too bad

Can I run it on a piece of shit laptop

Or in ubuntu

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    It would be cool if they had more options for starts in expansions like starting as a pre-spacefaring race that is uplifted by a more advanced empire that your homeworld is now a part of, and then being a vassal of that group or plotting to rebel and splinter off or overthrow the race that uplifted you.

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited May 2016

Or in ubuntu

Yes on Linux I guess? I'll have to try that out now that I'm dual booting.

Tallahasseeriel on
    Oh shit actually yeah this does run on Ubuntu

A game I can actually play on my desktop????

Now I just wonder if it will make my graphics card explode in the process or something

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg

Or in ubuntu

let me hyperlink that for you http://store.steampowered.com/app/281990/

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I watched the first twelve minutes or so of this giantbomb quick look and yup I want dis real bad.

Man linux steam downloads are real slow.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think I can only play with a spiral galaxy

Cause it looks SO COOL

6F32U1X.png
    I wasn't even paying attention when I made the galaxy. Usually I restart a whole bunch and mess with the settings but I'm trying for a whole hog commitment here for a while

icGJy2C.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm reading a lot of reviews that suggest that things kind of fall apart in the midgame and were very mixed on the endgame.

Anyone gotten far enough to have a comment on that?

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm reading a lot of reviews that suggest that things kind of fall apart in the midgame and were very mixed on the endgame.

Anyone gotten far enough to have a comment on that?

It does become a bit blah once everyone is boxed in.

It's a little like civ 5 vs beyond earth in that you can't relate to the various nations the way that you would in a historical setting, so the diplo game is a bit dry.

Paradox games tend to fall off during the mis and late game and is something they seem to strugfle with

icGJy2C.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna start up a new game in Ironman. I'll come back to my first civ later but I kind of want to try a more aggressive civ out for a bit, might as well try that without a safety net.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So far my only concern is that diplomacy seems about as good as it is in any other 4x

which is to say the AI won't trade shit unless you're willing to pony up ten to a hundred times more than you'd receive in return

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    how effectively can I roleplay as the yeerks is my main question

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So far my only concern is that diplomacy seems about as good as it is in any other 4x

which is to say the AI won't trade shit unless you're willing to pony up ten to a hundred times more than you'd receive in return

I really, really wish that "common enemy" was a stronger bargaining chip

If we're at war with the same enemy, and that enemy is stronger than either of us, the AI should be falling over itself to make deals

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Real hankering for this game. At 30 on gmg its tempting, but, no.

Might start watching the run button LP for my fix. Game is so pretty.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm probably not going to pick this up until I have time to play it (never), so I'm just here for vicarious stories about homocidal space bunnies.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    This game is ripe for additional content, too

but I'm loving what we have so far

finally getting a hang for expanding my empire and fleet power
    had a durp moment earlier where I realized space ports increase my force limit

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    2235 and i've got five planets, with a couple more ready to be settled nearby, plus once I get the tropical habitation tech that'll add maybe 5-6 more all within my current boundaries.

My empire is going to be incredibly dense.

Aistan on
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Started over with imperial space foxes. I accidentally forgot to make armies when I did my first invasion. oops.

Ended up bombarding the darn planet for an awkwardly long time until I got boots on the ground.

My favorite thing so far in this play-through was infiltrating an alien world. These foxes are not so good at subterfuge and they kept messing up and having to cover their tracks like some grim comedy. The story blurbs on notices are pretty great.

Zellpher on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I spent like two hours making two different races before I even started the game

One was evil space squids with a penchant for xenoslavery, and the other are intended to be my ideal Cool Alien Friends

And then I started the game and my space-dino-mammals are an indirect democracy and literally the first three empires I meet, surrounding me on all sides, are plutocratic hegemony assholes who encroach on my borders at every opportunity and smush against my core worlds

I'm pretty sure the only reason I survived long enough to get where I am is because half of them were at least somewhat pacifistic, and the other half hated each other

But now my president has established a frontier in a separate spiral arm and I've made that my first real sector of space, and now I feel a lot safer having that to fall back to in case shit goes down on the inner arm, which it looks like it might if my new mushroom friends don't like my avian allies-of-convenience

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    playing as the friendliest peaceful mushroom men and nothing has been difficult so far except gaining influence. I'm at a point where i don't have enough to replace my rapidly dying-of-old-age dudes and im making... +1 influence? the only ways i can see to get it are -fully upgrading- a main building, which i don't even have the possibility of yet, or starting rivalries that i do not want to do.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Played a good bunch of this over the last couple days. It's really, really good. I think I've had way ore fun with it than CK2 so far.

As others have already mentioned my biggest issue is the really bland diplomacy and weird AI shenanigans. They're the usual mix of being very random and unhelpful unless you offer them way too much, and typically uninterested in co-operating at all unless they're in dire trouble (and even then not always...)

I just wish 4x games would start working more on making the AI interesting and divergent and the diplomacy considerable more engaging than just some trade options and nothing more.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm xenophobic and my two neighbors are xenophobic so not a lot of diplomacy going on right now

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Here's my little space turtle empire:
    9cYRHMI.png

I appear to be in the galactic boonies, I've got my two neighbors shown there, but otherwise it looks like most people are clustered towards the center of the galaxy, and I'm all the way out here on a spiral arm.