As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone doing a PAX West Proxy this year?

MarioManiacMarioManiac Registered User regular
I'm looking to expand my collection of pins and have never participated in a proxy before. Does anyone know if Frostbyte (or anyone else) is doing a West Proxy this year? And I know these are for those not in a group. But can someone briefly explain pin groups to me and how that works. I hVe no idea how they are run. Thanks. Not sure if I wanna join one or just use a proxy.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!"
signature_zpsh4qstnbp.png
https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/MarioManiac

• Options
    misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    In pin groups there's (generally) one person for each PAX: Aus, Prime, East, and South. There are a couple of 'enthusiasm' levels for groups - casuals, who try to get requested pins for their group but don't guarantee anything, and full-time insane people, who collect 4 (and sometimes more) copies of each pin, one for each person in their group and extras to trade. Both groups will (usually) get Limited Edition pins like the current run of Polygon pins, and time-sink pins like panel pins/giveaways for playing a game/doing an experience, etc..

A proxy on the other hand will only buy where they can obtain everything all at once. They won't buy LE pins as there's a 2 pin per person restriction, and they won't go through the line multiple times to circumvent that. They won't do time-sink pins because it's usually one per person, and they can't go through the line 30+ times to get one for each person. They'll only do core sets, and other things that can be outright purchased, so probably nothing like the Chonku machines for Behemoth since they're random.

Personally I would recommend joining a group. In the few years I've been in a group, there's only been one example of someone not going to their PAX for the year, and in that case I found a friend who was going and asked them to pick me up the pins I wanted. I'm also in a casual group so I don't feel like there's enormous pressure on me to get everything, especially time-sink stuff (not that Aus is really that difficult compared to the US PAXes).

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Pin groups can also come with added stress, and proxy allows for a more open "fend for yourself" type with purchase pins. I used Frostbyte as a proxy for East 2015. More info on proxies will probably go up closer to Prime/pin drop.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    Ok thanks for all that info, it really helped. I think I'm gonna join a group for this year's PAX West. Where can I go about joining one?

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!"
  • Options
    Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    Post in the community 3.0 thread. @darkinfero is in charge of setting up pin groups there.

• Options
    I just saw that. Thanks Sammy.

• Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    I will no longer be proxying.

• Options
    MadkineMadkine AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for the previous proxy's @Frostbyte , you've been a blessing for a large number of us. Given the ridiculous amount of pins you need to acquire as a result I can understand your decision to not continue.

Madkine on
  • Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    Madkine wrote: »
    Thanks for the previous proxy's @Frostbyte , you've been a blessing for a large number of us. Given the ridiculous amount of pins you need to acquire as a result I can understand your decision to not continue.

I appreciate that. It has nothing to do with the workload I've always been happy to do it. I'm selling off my collection and stepping out of the community.

• Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Frostbyte wrote: »
    I appreciate that. It has nothing to do with the workload I've always been happy to do it. I'm selling off my collection and stepping out of the community.
    Please take some time before coming to any hasty decisions. You're obviously a great Pin Pal and the community would be worse for losing you.

Clix on
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Imsorad wrote: »
    Please take some time before coming to any hasty decisions. You're obviously a great Pin Pal and the community would be worse for losing you.

It's true. You've been a great help to many of us since this game started and without asking for payment. It's your choice what you want to but I'd hate to think you were giving up something you enjoyed. If it does come to that though, For what it's worth I'm gonna miss you man. :)

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    AsphoronAsphoron Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    @Frostbyte I have used your proxy service twice now, and you have been more than I could have asked for both time. I'll be sad to see you go.

• Options
    pakopakopakopako Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Imsorad wrote: »
    It's true. You've been a great help to many of us since this game started and without asking for payment. It's your choice what you want to but I'd hate to think you were giving up something you enjoyed. If it does come to that though, For what it's worth I'm gonna miss you man. :)
    I still hope to see @Frostbyte at a future PAX. One of these years you will see me wearing pants!

• Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I will no longer be proxying.

Nooooooooooo!

• Options
    ajetog@gmail.comajetog@gmail.com WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Thinking of proxying for a few at West. Will know how many I can help when the pin list for West comes out.
    Seems like there will be good number of pins available.

• Options
    limedragonflylimedragonfly Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I was going to proxy for a group missing a West member, but they're since covered, so I might also be able to proxy for a few people. Like ajetog above, will wait until pin info is released to firm up deets.

• Options
    agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Ditto the previous two comments. Especially if you're in the Brisbane area I'm sure I could grab some paid pins for people.

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • Options
    misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Now that the pins are out, is anyone willing to proxy this year?

• Options
    Yup, I can if you like. Don't think I can do time-sink pins though. :)

• Options
    OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    Looks like @misskass and I are in the same boat again this PAX, it does not seem our West member is going since he has not responded at all :-(

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    OpSteel wrote: »
    Looks like @misskass and I are in the same boat again this PAX, it does not seem our West member is going since he has not responded at all :-(
    People in pin groups I will be able to help you out.
    Aussies best to go with the others who are coming.
    @OpSteel I will help you out send me a message.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    kaylene109kaylene109 Registered User new member
    I may be able to help out with the core set and polygon pin, just likely not time sink pins. Send me a PM if needed.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    The list of purchase pins (thanks to thx42):

PAX West 2016 Set (PA) - $30
    West 2016 LE (PA - Merch Lite, Sheraton) - $15 (LE 1500)

Destiny Set (Bungie - 439, WSCC 4N) - $44
    Deathclaw (Bethesda - 1102, WSCC 4N) - $10
    Emily (Bethesda - 1102, WSCC 4N) - $10
    Dark Brotherhood (Bethesda - 1102, WSCC 4N) - $10
    Brutal Legend (Double Fine - 106, WSCC 4N) - $15
    Hexipal (Double Fine - 106, WSCC 4N) - $15
    Construct (Runic/Perfect World - 133, WSCC 4N) - $15?
    Thimbleweed Park (Terrible Toybox - 848, WSCC 4N) - purchase (assume @$15)
    Child’s Play 2016 (Child’s Play - WSCC 4, North Lobby) - $25 (All proceeds go to Child's Play Charity)
    N7 Mass Effect (Think Geek - SKY9, WSCC 4) - $10
    Mega Man (Think Geek - SKY9, WSCC 4) - $10
    Behemoth Chicken Foot (The Behemoth - 1501, WSCC 4S) - $15 price confirmed
    Ballonicorn (We Love Fine - 7411, WSCC 6) - $15?
    Claptrap (We Love Fine - 7411, WSCC 6) - $15?
    Armello Logo (League of Geeks/PAX Aus Roadshow - 6211, WSCC 6) - $15 (cash only)
    Samurai Punk (Samurai Punk - 6214, WSCC 6) - $15
    PAX Aus Roadshow Koala (Surprise Attack Games/PAX Aus Roadshow - 6312, WSCC 6) - $15 price confirmed
    Cthulhu Swim (Kris Straub - WSCC 6, Bandland) - $15
    LRR Tugger (LRR - WSCC 6, Bandland) - $10
    FoxTrot Qunicy (Bill Amend - WSCC 6, Bandland) - $15 price confirmed
    CW Lovebug (Katie Rice - WSCC 6, Bandland) - $15?
    MC Frontalot Final Boss (Scott Kurtz - WSCC 6, Bandland) - $20 price confirmed
    Owl Bear (Worldbuilders - Cards Against Humanity) - $15?

With this list, I can get the 2 sets and 1 of each pin into a USPS Priority medium box is $13.45 (US only) comfortably.
    for smaller lists of pins, (say 16 pins max) small box $ 6.80 (US only)

Message me with a list/count and your mailing address. Prepayment can be made via my Paypal account.

Aussie folks, I can have someone hand carry home orders. Hopefully...

ajetog@gmail.com on
  • Options
    The deadline for ordering pins is Tuesday 8/30. (Need Wednesday to organize and pack for leaving Thursday.)

• Options
    The list of purchase pins (thanks to thx42):

PAX West 2016 Set (PA) - $30
    West 2016 LE (PA - Merch Lite, Sheraton) - $15 (LE 1500)

Destiny Set (Bungie - 439, WSCC 4N) - ?
    Deathclaw (Bethesda - 1102, WSCC 4N) - $10
    Emily (Bethesda - 1102, WSCC 4N) - $10
    Dark Brotherhood (Bethesda - 1102, WSCC 4N) - $10
    Brutal Legend (Double Fine - 106, WSCC 4N) - $15
    Hexipal (Double Fine - 106, WSCC 4N) - $15
    Construct (Runic/Perfect World - 133, WSCC 4N) - $15?
    Thimbleweed Park (Terrible Toybox - 848, WSCC 4N) - purchase (assume @$15)
    Child’s Play 2016 (Child’s Play - WSCC 4, North Lobby) - $25 (All proceeds go to Child's Play Charity)
    N7 Mass Effect (Think Geek - SKY9, WSCC 4) - $10
    Mega Man (Think Geek - SKY9, WSCC 4) - $10
    Behemoth Chicken Foot (The Behemoth - 1501, WSCC 4S) - $15 price confirmed
    Ballonicorn (We Love Fine - 7411, WSCC 6) - $15?
    Claptrap (We Love Fine - 7411, WSCC 6) - $15?
    Armello Logo (League of Geeks/PAX Aus Roadshow - 6211, WSCC 6) - $15 (cash only)
    Samurai Punk (Samurai Punk - 6214, WSCC 6) - $15
    PAX Aus Roadshow Koala (Surprise Attack Games/PAX Aus Roadshow - 6312, WSCC 6) - $15 price confirmed
    Cthulhu Swim (Kris Straub - WSCC 6, Bandland) - $10?
    LRR Tugger (LRR - WSCC 6, Bandland) - $10?
    FoxTrot Qunicy (Bill Amend - WSCC 6, Bandland) - $15 price confirmed
    CW Lovebug (Katie Rice - WSCC 6, Bandland) - $15?
    MC Frontalot Final Boss (Scott Kurtz - WSCC 6, Bandland) - $20 price confirmed
    Owl Bear (Worldbuilders - Cards Against Humanity) - $15?

With this list, I can get the 2 sets and 1 of each pin into a USPS Priority medium box is $13.45 (US only) comfortably.
    for smaller lists of pins, (say 16 pins max) small box $ 6.80 (US only)

Message me with a list/count and your mailing address. Prepayment can be made via my Paypal account.

Aussie folks, I can have someone hand carry home orders. Hopefully...

We have assuie folks willing to help here.
    like cooper and limedragonfly, astroboy who are coming to west.
    The price for destiny pins will be about 40-45 dollars fyi.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    Yeah, as darkinferno mentioned, we're definitely happy to mule some back to Aus :)

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Someone check the numbers, but I think a full set of Purchase Pins is $370, yes?

• Options
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Someone check the numbers, but I think a full set of Purchase Pins is $370, yes?
    Over 500

My Pin collection