As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blade Runner Owns.

Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplaceShe crawled right inRegistered User regular
I don't know why my other thread about this isn't working but my love of this movie conquers all. Blade Runner is an awesome ass movie. I bought the blu ray box set today and the Final Cut looks so good. It is so pretty doggs. The acting is so choice. Sean Young is super cool and robotic and Deckard is a perfect dickish protagonist in the vein of Sam Spade. Rutger Hauer is like fucking Lucifer in this movie. He owns. This movie owns. Here is a sexy ass pic to get you pumped about this movie. DAMN I LOVE THIS MOVIE.

yPhCV9G.jpg

Let's talk about blade runner and ridley scott and philip k. dick.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I love the look.

Gvzbgul on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I haven't ever watched the entire film, but what I saw of it is pretty good. My wife watched it and said it was boring though. Should I divorce her? y/y

JtgVX0H.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Blade Runner is a good-looking movie

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i hate the version with the narrations. burn that version.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Please do not run with sharp objects.

YL9WnCY.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    I haven't ever watched the entire film, but what I saw of it is pretty good. My wife watched it and said it was boring though. Should I divorce her? y/y
    Nah, it is a pretty boring movie.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I do not enjoy watching Blade Runner

it is better in theory than in practice

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I really like the tears in the rain monologue and the amazing cityscapes
    the rest of the film has all sort of run together in my memory

wait is there a new blade runner film being made...?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I should watch that version tonight, I've never seen it.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Unfortunately yes @BahamutZERO . But this aint about that

Objectively, YES it's kind of boring but if you just enjoy the visuals your first time I found it is quite easy to get caught up in the story. Don't overthink it, just savor the giant clouds of smoke Holden produces in the opening scene and go from there.

Clint Eastwood on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    never seen it

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I love the look.

Book had some weird religious undertones that I vaguely recall not agreeing with.

Something like androids couldn't really be people because only God can give you a soul.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular

It's fucking dogshit, don't watch it. just don't

@PikaPuff it's real good bud. If you like scifi anyway. if you dont then uhhhh you probably won't like it and should exit this thread for your own wellbeing

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

theatrical release

the ending was tacked on by studio execs and it is rubbish

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Blade Runner is a movie that is not for everyone.

edited May 2016
    is it on netflix. i have a netflix

edit- oh hey it is. 'theatrical version'. guess i'll give it a go some time. finally. (usually when I search for a movie I'm interested in netflix doesn't have it so. yay)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    It is, however, for me.

JebusUD wrote: »
    I love the look.

Book had some weird religious undertones that I vaguely recall not agreeing with.

Something like androids couldn't really be people because only God can give you a soul.
    And it was inspired by Phil thinking about sociopaths.

I love the look.

also deckard is explicitly an android in the book

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    You're a dedicated man. Dry me.

Poorochondriac on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    we can't go one page without mentioning a young Edward James Olmos, who wins the all-time award for lines spoken to coolness ratio

we can't go one page without mentioning a young Edward James Olmos, who wins the all-time award for lines spoken to coolness ratio

steve mcqueen, beat takeshi, charles bronson and toshiro mifune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHepKd38pr0

Five seconds in. The blu ray (I am not a plant) looks so fucking vibrant and incredible here, but let's talk about this shot and what follows.

Deckard eases back into his insanely comfy looking chair. He begins enhancing the photo. The focus of the scene is the tv console, but look around it. Bottles. Paintbrushes. Pens. Junk on top of the screen. The lights sent into the back of his insanely comfy looking chair. This entire sequence, the first...thirty seconds or so. You can draw a direct line from this scene to the Nebuchadnezzar scenes in the first Matrix movie, and surely a bunch of other sci fi movies. Every aspect of Deckard's apartment, and frankly of the entire movie, is so carefully considered, so lived in, that it leaves me speechless. Visual art is rarely this good, I think you have to savor it when you can. This is a perfect opportunity.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I love the look.

It's been a while since I've read it but I don't remember that at all.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    is it on netflix. i have a netflix

edit- oh hey it is. 'theatrical version'. guess i'll give it a go some time. finally. (usually when I search for a movie I'm interested in netflix doesn't have it so. yay)

DON'T WATCH THIS VERSION. Find a DVD rental store, hell I'll buy you the final cut if you're actually interested. Do NOT watch the theatrical version of this movie. it is SO BAD!!!!!!! I'm being hyperbolic but just barely. It completely bastardizes what the director and cast were trying to get across.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Deckard is explicitly not an android in the book, u wot m8

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh another decade of not watching it i guess

jCyyTSo.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I love the look.

It's been a while since I've read it but I don't remember that at all.

Yeah wait what

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Blade Runner is one of the few movies on this dumb planet where my opinion of it has never wavered. It's a masterwork.

Y'all remember the Blade Runner PC game? Surprisingly good, that one. Multiple paths, where you didn't know which one you were on for a while. One playthrough, someone might be a replicant. Next playthrough, they're not. You never quite know, even if you've heard the story before. It's preeeetty great at blending mechanics with themes.

PikaPuff wrote: »
    ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh another decade of not watching it i guess

I'm serious dogg, I'll buy you a copy if you want to see it. PM me. I love this goddam movie.

Just watched the bit where he guns down ol' Snake Tat. The entire bit where she's running through the storefront corridor while he shoots at her was pretty clearly the entire inspiration for the first bit of Mass Effect 3: Citadel, which is neat in retrospect.

Also the old song playing when Olmos meets up with him afterward is about as melancholy as it gets.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I, like many others on this forum, saw Blade Runner after I had already ingested Shadowrun, RIFTS, Netrunner, and God knows how many other 'cyberpunk' mediums.

Blade Runner is still the best.

Also, YOUNG ADMIRAL ADAMA! FIGHTING CYLONS BEFORE HE FOUGHT CYLONS.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Coinage wrote: »

yeah I forgot a not in there because my dumb reptile brain

Rachel is over at Deckard's apartment again. He is pretending to be asleep, then actually asleep. One of my favorite scenes of the whole movie honestly. He doesn't want to answer her questions, and then he's unable to. She brings him back to life, so to speak, while going through his stuff and playing his piano. ALSO: mad respect for the chest hair. Why is harrison ford so good looking?

mj8wD8k.jpg

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Blade Runner is a movie I always pay close attention to and that keeps me enraptured all the time.

Also let's talk about how the FINAL DIRECTOR'S CUT that ridley put out is bullshit

Coinage wrote: »

Yes

at the same time the real point is that whether or not Deckard is an android DOES NOT MATTER.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    you don't become a big star in hollywood by just being a good actor
    or at least it's a lot less common

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Blade Runner is a movie I always pay close attention to and that keeps me enraptured all the time.

Also let's talk about how the FINAL DIRECTOR'S CUT that ridley put out is bullshit

You're out of your mind. the final cut is the best one

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Well, I never thought I'd be here, on the internet, telling @Clint Eastwood that his opinions are shit. But sorry, Clint, your opinions are shit.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Oghulk wrote: »

You're out of your mind. the final cut is the best one

Ridley's inclusion of the stupid unicorn scene completely eradicates what the actual moral of the story is attempting to get across with literally everything that occurs in the movie and is completely out of place relative to the rest of it.