As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blade Runner Owns.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I'm an android

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Well, I never thought I'd be here, on the internet, telling @Clint Eastwood that his opinions are shit. But sorry, Clint, your opinions are shit.

I will fight you with my hands.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Well, I never thought I'd be here, on the internet, telling @Clint Eastwood that his opinions are shit. But sorry, Clint, your opinions are shit.

I will fight you with my hands.

The changes to the Final Cut of Bladerunner completely undermine the entirety of the film. Ridley Scott should have known better than to take an easy cash grab by declaring the 'correct interpretation' of a timeless classic that he created, let alone taking the money for the reboot / prequel / sequel horseshit that is coming out soon.

You're bad and you should feel bad and man, just enjoy Blade Runner as the quixotic, suggestive, and questioning film it always was.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    rutger hauer as a metaphor bot is the antithesis of everything i am down to my soul

i treat blade runner like a screen saver

put it on mute and look at it for a few seconds before doing something else with my tv

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    In a similar fashion, I am going through The Warriors (which apparently I bought the 2008 Director's Cut Version, which adds nothing other than shitty 'comic book transitions').

Christ All Mighty.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I'm doing that right now! I'm not even giving this prequel sequel business the time of day. The man filmed the unicorn scenes before, they're not brand new Star Wars Special Edition Han Steps On Jabba's Tail additions. If you don't like those scenes I have no issue with that but the final cut is so good.

i love the warriors so much

the fact the film incited actual gang violence, thus hurting it from becoming as big as it could be makes me love it more

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i accept the unicorn scene because if you never talk to anyone else about blade runner or never thoroughly rewatch the movie and pick it apart shot by shot, you might not pick up on certain things otherwise

edited May 2016
    Rutger Hauer is punching a nail through his hand. This scene is fucking excruciating

E: the impact when Deckard hits him in the head with that pipe is sickening

Clint Eastwood on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Deckard is explicitly not an android in the book, u wot m8

I quite liked the themes at the end, thinking back to the book. The androids are murderous sociopaths, they don't care if anyone lives or dies...

But that's part of why Deckard shouldn't get hardened to killing them. Because despite everything, they're living things, and the ability to sympathize with the inherently unsympathetic is part of what makes us human.

Androids don't dream of electric sheep. Humans do. And it's dreaming of sheep, electric and otherwise, that makes them human.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Dick is one of my favorite authors and I have never seen blade runner. Guess I should change that, huh?

Seems like this thread has more votes for the final cut, I'll go check Amazon.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that is weird what happened to your other thread clint

BahamutZERO.gif
    I won't profess to understand anything about how webforums work but yeah.

The final cut is my favorite but the Director's Cut is good too. Its audio mastering is completely fucked so I recommend the final cut if the option is available.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Blade runner put me to sleep the one time I tried to watch it. To be fair I was 12 or 13 and it was like... 1 am. But it put me right asleep.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    You have to AT LEAST have access to cigarettes to properly enjoy this movie.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I do remember it having a very methodical pacing, not an action movie even if there's some action scenes

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I don't really like the unicorn scene, but I can easily believe that it was Ridley's intention to have it from the start. Apparently the unicorn horn wobbled and it had to be fixed digitally.

Oh, also the shot with the dove flying in the rain. I kind of prefer it flying in sunny weather. The dove was meant to fly in the rain but they couldn't get it to do it. So they had the dove fly in sunny weather instead.

Both the unicorn and the dove are examples of Ridley's film being compromised. The lack of a unicorn made the question of whether Deckard is a human or a replicant a little fuzzier than intended, and the dove flying in a sunny shot made it more optimistic than intended. And it was purely for technical reasons. Couldn't include the unicorn scene because the the wobbly horn looked goofy. Couldn't get the dove to fly in the rain so a sunny shot is used. Both of these change the film away from what was intended and I'm ok with Ridley fixing these problems once the technology became available. Even if I like the sunny shot or the more ambiguous film. It doesn't really bother me much because as I said earlier, I find most of the film boring, but the visuals alone are enough to keep me hooked.

the soundtrack is, uh, REALLY good.

credits rolling now. movie owns

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

I coulda been smokin in the boys room. You don't know my super cool guy 12 year old life!

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Blade Runner is my all time favorite movie. I have the Japanese movie poster of it in my room.

I was at a party last saturday night, and for the first time in years I got to have one on one time with some random girl there.
    We talked for a while, and she asked me what my favorite movie was.
    Maybe I was a little buzzed, but explaining Blade Runner to someone you just met and are crushing on is a really hard thing to do!

Oh well, at least I've seen things...

PSN: BillyIdle_
    Just pick a different movie next time. Something uncomplicated. Maybe a marvel movie

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Just pick a different movie next time. Something uncomplicated. Maybe a marvel movie

Pan's Labyrinth.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular

I could always talk about Samurai Cop...

PSN: BillyIdle_
    just talk about how "bruce wayne, why are you dressed up like batman?" is one of the greatest lines in film history

that got me a weird as hell threesome once

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Blade Runner is so good Leon Thomas did two episodes of Renegade Cut on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jecaUK7jRU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls7U0XrsinE

Mwx884o.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Blade Runner? I hardly know her!

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    But anyway Blade Runner is an amazingly satisfying movie from an aesthetic point of view. It was the 3rd movie I bought on Blu-Ray, after 2001 and Lawrence of Arabia.

however, never make the mistake of trying to talk about how insane the cast of red sun is with someone who ain't know shit about dick

charles bronson and toshiro mifune vs alain delon

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Blade Runner is really good

It is dark and moody and claustrophobic

There's like a whirring engine or industrial fan in the background of every single scene in a way that very subtly adds tension to every moment, even when the actual content of a scene isn't particularly tense

And yet in spite of that it feels very slow and sleepy and dreamlike

It's a movie I'm only in the mood to watch once in a blue moon but I love it

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Hypothetically I think turning blade runner into a franchise could work, if you approached it like an anthology series

Every movie Deckard is called in to solve some weird new case that intersects with weird new cyberpunk ideas, with little to no connection to the previous films aside from Deckard himself

Realistically though I 100% expect the new movie to be a completely unnecessary expansion of a story that was already complete in an attempt to cash in on blade runner's popularity

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Blade Runner is definitely a movie you have to be in the mood for

A very specific mood that involves seared neon, cigarette smoke, and gazing slightly downward into the abyss

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Give me the 10 Cloverfield Lane of Blade Runner.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Blade Runner is definitely a movie you have to be in the mood for

A very specific mood that involves seared neon, cigarette smoke, and gazing slightly downward into the abyss

Fortunately thats me most days.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Blade runner put me to sleep the one time I tried to watch it. To be fair I was 12 or 13 and it was like... 1 am. But it put me right asleep.

That's my exact experience with Blade Runner - I tried it twice in high school, fell asleep both times. I should try again now that I'm old as dirt.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I love blade runner

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Nah.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The one time I tried to watch this I had a flu and had been awake for like 30 hours so I feel asleep towards the beginning.

I've been kinda afraid to try watching it again for years.

I own the final cut though.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Deckard being a replicant would make the movie way lamer

so he's not one

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Deckard being a replicant would make the movie way lamer

so he's not one

Deckard definitively being one thing or the other makes the movie lamer. It should be an open ended question that makes you uncomfortable and really reflect on just how meaningful the difference between replicants and humans is anyway

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    hey did you guys ever see reanimator