As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TOURNEY ON...AGAIN] Team Fortress 2 Penny Arcade Tournament TWO!

RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
edited April 2021 in Games and Technology
Rules:

Elimination style gameplay.
First Round
For the first round, teams will play 3 rounds of each map. Best of three wins. If the map timer runs out, then the winner of that match is determined by Sudden Death. The Sudden Death timer will be extended to give teams a lot of time to determine a victor. If both teams should turtle and no victor, they must play the same level again with the same rules.

Semi-Finals

Teams will play either Gravelpit or Dustbowl. Both teams will get a shot at attacking. If your team successfully attacks, and defends then you win. If it comes to a stalemate the match will be decided by playing 2Fort. First team to get 3 captures wins, otherwise the match is decided by sudden death as explained above (if time should run out).

Finals

The victors of the semi-finals will match off on Hydro. The first team to clear the map and gain total victory wins. This match will continue until a clear winner can be determined. Prepare yourselves for a marathon matchup! The losers of the semi-final will also get to play each other on Hydro for the glory of 3rd place (or second loser).

Date and Time:

Post what times are more convenient for you to play. Most likely, the matches will be on the weekends and late fridays. Maybe thursdays if it can work out. When you post to sign up, please post your times for Friday, Saturday and Sunday when you are available.

Signups and Teams:

Post if you wish to participate, also please include your steam name and link to your steam page. People who post on the first day will have a greater chance of being a captain. Each team will be assigned a captain. How this will work is basically the person with the most time spent on the Steam client (AKA Steam Rating) and/or Team Fortress 2 (along with how good you are) will be assigned a team to organize. After each team is assigned a captain, and whenever sign ups are done they get to choose who they want to be on their team via draft. How this will work is the captain will post on this thread who they want in their team from the sign up list, the who they choose will go in order. Team 1 chooses ONE person, then team 2 chooses ONE person etc. After the draft is done, it is wise to make a group on the steam community for your team to keep your members in check. After that, based on the times people have, we will set up which teams fight.

OR if you guys think this is too confusing. We could just have team randomly generated and team sizes determined by the number of players. The list will be posted once signups have ended. Once teams are posted I suggest you get together over Steam community (you can even make a group for your team to better organize). Choosing a captain is up to you, but it is suggested to have one for interfacing with the administrators. Tournament administrators are not able to be team captains, and cannot make decisions when their team is invovled. There are no class limitations.
Further details about team sizes and makeup will be posted tomorrow once signups are over.

Server

We would need a server to play these matches, Im going to ask one of the people who owns a PA server to see if we can hold our matches there.

The team numbers mean nothing, any team might go up against any other team.
ladder.png
Image Courteous of Alabaster Slim!

Captains:I made it so that for every 6 people that I record their stats here someone from the group will be made captain.
Team 1 : Captain-Ash-Housewares--Engineer/25.1/2,467
Team 2 : Captain-dougfunny78--Pyro/18.4/4,633
Team 3 : Captain-
Team 4 : Captain-
Team 5 : Captain-
Team 6 : Captain-
Team 7 : Captain-
Team 8 : Captain-

Free Agents:
These are people who are up for grabs by the captains.
Their stats will be included by their name, which will be which character they use the most/average kills/average damage.
-Riokenn--Scout/8.1/1,512
-TickTickTickBoom-
-Corbius--Solider/5.1/1,012
-J_L--Scout/8.1/1,482
-DrIanMalcolm--Heavy/9/1,504
-Italax--Medic/8.2/1,497
-Morninglord--
-RandomEngy--Solider/16.1/2,801
-agoaj--Engineer/10.1/1,661
-An Innocent Civilian--Sniper/9.4/1,872
-aesur--
-TheLumberjack--Solider/7.1/1,358
-Hotlead Junkie--
-Karrmer--
-AfroJ--Demoman/6.8/1,073
-[SCT] Sheer Gibberish--Medic/7.2/1,198
-AlabasterSlim--Scout/7.3/1,202
-*Boom*SithDrummer!--Demoman/11.2/1,886
-Bama--Solider/13.5/2,389
-QuestionMarkMan--Engineer/18/2,321

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
Riokenn on

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm still scarred by the clusterfuck the last one turned out to be

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • CobaltredCobaltred Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would like to play!

Steam handle: TickTickTickBOOM

I never post, but I see most of you guys on the [PA] Servers regularly. Good stuff. I think I hold my own pretty well.

Fridays: after 7 EST.
    Saturday: Whenever. Preferably not saturday night
    Sunday: Available, but not during Patriots games (usually 4-7 or 8-11 EST)

Edit: Request to make the Finals something other than Hydro. 90% of the time on the [PA] Servers this ends in sudden death because of the chokepointed nature of the map setups.

Cobaltred on
  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ill play.

Steam id: Corbius

Best times: Thursday nights are normally free, Friday nights are better.

Saturday's are totally free, Sundays except from 4:30 to 9:30.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • J_LJ_L Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd like to try and play this time round, steam handle is J_L.
    I live in the UK so i operate on the old GMT, shouldn't be a problem though.
    I haven't played all that much TF2 lately, but this should be a good excuse to get back into it.

J_L on
    Got A Penny?[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    EvE: Vetitum/Venitum
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm interested. I had a great experience last time, but I understand Zzulu's point as well. SteamID : DrIanMalcolm

I'm pretty much open Friday night, and all day Saturday and Sunday

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Steam: Ash-Housewares

I'm good for all times Sat/Sun.
    I'm on PST( -8 GMT)

Ash-Housewares on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm, in and I'm on GMT. Sat/Sun would probably be best for me as well, between 7-10 GMT.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm in if it starts after the 19th. Else I can't join the first matches. I'm in Sydney time. It's 9:52am at the time of this post, for example. If this is too difficult to organise I don't mind sitting out.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm in, again.

Steam: RandomEngy

What happened to the round robin idea? Some teams just got crushed first round and didn't get to play much. Also we probably shouldn't set the tournament structure until we figure out how many teams we're going to have.

I'd also volunteer for captain.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm up for it.
    Steam: agoaj

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm in
    Steam: musanman
    Nick: An Innocent Civilian (or Civi)

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    im down.

steam name: aesur

best times: sat/sun or any other day before 1 pm pacific. Also any days after 10 pm pacific.

I dont want to be a team captain so dont make me one despite my amazing stats.

aesir on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm in for this!

Steam ID - TheLumberjack

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am so in.

Steamid - kevingrfoster

I usually play a rocketjumping soldier or cautious medic

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sounds like a party. Steam id is Karrmer, I shoot rockets at peoples faces.

Karrmer on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Steam ID : dougfunny78

Best times: Weekday/end nights, basically 4:00PM to 10:00PM PST.

I'm ready for some SNEAKY GUY GAEMS

doug_grammar on
  • AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm down.

Steamid : AfroJ

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Merton BlaskMerton Blask Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ID should be 'its10notx' (or maybe '[SCT] Sheer Gibberish', forget which.)
    Monday through Thursday I'm free in the evenings and nights, weekends I work late.

I am a Medic.

Merton Blask on
    It would be like if the Queen woke you up every morning. Too special.
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sign me up.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !Sign

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sithdrummer
    SithDrummer
    Typically a demoman but I don't think it's a great idea to compare avg kills and damage, nor just on one class. Considering TF2 is a far different and more flexible beast than TFC, it's hardly uncommon for lots and lots of class switching during the tourney, or within individual matches.

Weeknights except Tuesdays are fine for me after 9PM EST. Weekends are fine though preferably not nights.

I'm also echoing RandomEngy's desire for a round-robin type tournament. Single elimination is pretty poor.

SithDrummer on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bama
    I'm good pretty much all afternoons-nights (US central), except for Mondays and Wednesdays when I don't get back from class until about 8:30pm.

Bama on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I updated my first post with two captains that have been picked by their ranks as well as free agents the captains can pick. But not at the moment, only when we have all 8 captains then we can start the draft.

Does anyone know who I can talk to who owns one of the PA servers to see if we can use one of those servers to hold this tournament?

Riokenn on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    would you mind putting 'Hotlead Junkie' next to my steam id so people know who I am? Thanks

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Does anyone know who I can talk to who owns one of the PA servers to see if we can use one of those servers to hold this tournament?
    bombardier
    jonxp
    Job_41:25

SithDrummer on
    edited November 2007
    Although it may say that I'm a soldier mostly, I jump around and can fill almost any role needed (except sniper).

TheLawinator on
    edited November 2007
    Although it may say that I'm a soldier mostly, I jump around and can fill almost any role needed (except sniper).

Well yeah, I don't expect people to go as their most used character during the matches. I just put it there to show what character you have used the most is all.

Riokenn on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    QuestionMarkMan
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questionmarkman

I'm free mostly at night during the week and all during the weekends

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited November 2007
    Where do you find these stats for average damage and kills and such?

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960788766/stats/TF2

I don't see any averages there though.

Karrmer on
  • MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/musan/

I suggest we try to do these tourneys in one day, not spread over three. Round Robin games are also a good idea.

Musan on
  • Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    steam id is the same as the forum name
    I'm good whenever pretty much... although fridays are less good for me unless it's past like 11pm server
    most played class: medic
    average points per life: 3.37
    average damage: no idea

Dance Commander on
    edited November 2007
    I'm sorry, I just realized I can't do this on my own. I cancel this little tournament and im sorry to everyone giving them false hope in doing this. :( This is hard work than I thought it would be. I really just don't have the time. If anyone would like to continue where I left off that'd be dandy but I can't do this right now. Im sorry once again.

Riokenn on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm in!

Edit: Spy/132.10/.92

...I suck...

Shade on
    edited November 2007
    Nobody has to set this stuff up alone! I say we all help out.

TheLawinator on
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I just realized I can't do this on my own. I cancel this little tournament and im sorry to everyone giving them false hope in doing this. :( This is hard work than I thought it would be. I really just don't have the time. If anyone would like to continue where I left off that'd be dandy but I can't do this right now. Im sorry once again.

A pity. I was just about to sign up too. But maybe it was kinda a bad time in general, with thanksgiving coming up.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I, too, would like to know how you obtained those stats, even if it's not going ahead.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited November 2007
    Thats easy Flippy D, I just looked at peoples Steam ID and went to their TF2 stats and averaged up their kills from each class they played as. Same goes for the average of the damage.

And yeah, with Thanksgiving coming up, I kinda....yeah. :(

Riokenn on
    edited November 2007
    Averaged with what? I'm only seeing the most kills, most damage, etc. No number for total deaths, total kills as that class, etc.

Karrmer on
  • Eff-ehEff-eh Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good tourney.

Eff-eh on
  • falsedeffalsedef Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    In the game menu itself, you can look up a bunch of different personal stats.

There's a button that's suppose to erase stats, but it's not working when I try it, and boy am I trying hard

falsedef on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I'm still scarred by the clusterfuck the last one turned out to be

So nice.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png