As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Ah, dammit.
    Someone tell me something that is wrong with this game.
    I can't afford a 360 right now, I really can't.

They already have. Textures pop-in like in Halo 2.

And the controls for the Mako are somewhat weird and not that great!

But what about the dialogue? Plotting? Credible spectrum of moral choices? Characterisation?

Graphics and combat really do not matter much to me, but I'd kill for a genuinely well-written RPG, and there hasn't been one in quite a while.

Xagarath on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    You can sleep peacefully, Xagarath. The moral choices, characterization, plotting, etc. are all pretty fucking solid as far as I can tell.

There are TONS of points where I wish I wasn't playing such a goody two-shoes Paragon, because the opportunities to be a real cock ass are plentiful and well-suited. Hell, even as a nice Paragon, I've had to pull my asshole card to put someone in their place. In fact, it's hard to avoid getting points in your opposing side from time to time. Its not all that common for the appropriate choice to be morally ambiguous. And there are times where you simply have to go against your grain in order to make things work the way you want them to.

Right now I'd say I'm 90/10 in the Paragon/Renegade scale.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would recommend dumnping points into Charisma/Intimidate early as they are actualyl useful. Not in every case but certainly more than other games I've played.

Accualt on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Ah, dammit.

The only thing I can think of is that it's not officially out yet.

Oh, and some of the plot points made me hate BioWare's writers.
    Virmire. You'll understand when you get there. Holy fuck.

These are big spoilers, so if you don't have the game, don't read it. So Taramoor, I just want to know why?
    I just beat Virmire. What did you not like about it? So far I'm pleased. It was a pretty epic moment. You had to choose who lives or dies, for sure, but that didn't bother me since I didn't like Kaidan. :P You also find out why Saren is doing what he's doing, and it's not that black and white. I was worried for a moment, though, that you'd actually kill him at that moment. Luckily, you don't, so I get to keep chasing his ass.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    Ah, dammit.

These are big spoilers, so if you don't have the game, don't read it. So Taramoor, I just want to know why?
    I just beat Virmire. What did you not like about it? So far I'm pleased. It was a pretty epic moment. You had to choose who lives or dies, for sure, but that didn't bother me since I didn't like Kaidan. :P You also find out why Saren is doing what he's doing, and it's not that black and white. I was worried for a moment, though, that you'd actually kill him at that moment. Luckily, you don't, so I get to keep chasing his ass.
    That's one thing I wanted to ask about the game. Just how expendable our your party members? Because I want to know just how careful I have to be to make sure the people I like don't kick the bucket.

Dragkonias on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, Is anyone tried being a total asshole?

If so, can you whip out a pistol on random people to scare them?

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ah, dammit.

There are a few ways to prevent one of the scenes on Virmire.. one plot based, one character based.

Birudojin on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I know everybody thinks it's like, the most boring class EVER, but I still would love some sentinel impressions

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    I... I think I'm at the end of the game. I'm 25 hours into it, and 20 of those hours has been side-quests and exploring. I'll give an update on the length after I beat the part I'm at, but according to the journal and what's going on, as well as an achievement I unlocked, it definitely looks like I'm at the end...

Edit: Oh, and for the record in terms of side content, I explored every inch of the galaxy and the planets, as well as doing all of the side quests.

Dashui on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I already know who I'm using in my party.

Wrex and Garrus.

Unless there's some awesome as fuck character that I don't know about yet, those two bastards are being dragged across the galaxy with me.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think I want to use everyone if I can, just to see how they react to different things.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I probably will on other playthroughs.

It's just that I love the look of the Krogan and Turlians and since Wrex and Garrus seem like they'll A) Have an animosity from the get-go over the whole genophage thing and B) Seem to have totally different personalities I'm expecting it to be like a Buddy Cop movie in space.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    I probably will on other playthroughs.

It's just that I love the look of the Krogan and Turlians and since Wrex and Garrus seem like they'll A) Have an animosity from the get-go over the whole genophage thing and B) Seem to have totally different personalities I'm expecting it to be like a Buddy Cop movie in space.

Indeed.

I have a feeling that Wrex may in fact be Getting Too Old for this Shit.

august on
    edited November 2007
    so who's joe pesci

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I... I think I'm at the end of the game. I'm 25 hours into it, and 20 of those hours has been side-quests and exploring. I'll give an update on the length after I beat the part I'm at, but according to the journal and what's going on, as well as an achievement I unlocked, it definitely looks like I'm at the end...

Edit: Oh, and for the record in terms of side content, I explored every inch of the galaxy and the planets, as well as doing all of the side quests.
    So I take it not many planets are as lengthy as Feros? Because I was expecting at least a hand full of them to be of the same caliber. Feros is the first place I've been to since I left the Citadel and it surprised me just how much stuff is going on there. I realize some planets/locations are very small and only host a few very specific things to do on them.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not to sound like a broken record... but... Infiltrator specializations? Huh, huh? No amount of trivial information can sate my vast hunger for Mass Effect knowledge, NEED MOAR. Well, except for the story-line, I don't want that spoiled for me. I already clicked a few too many spoiler tags, but immediately hid the achievement list after opening it. Last achievement list I read was Bioshock's after play the game for the first three hours. I couldn't kick myself in the nuts hard enough to atone for that sin...

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited November 2007
    so who's joe pesci

Shepard.

Humans are always getting fucked at the drive-through.

august on
    edited November 2007
    Yep. That was the ending. I just beat it. That was about 24 and a half hours total, and nearly 20 of those hours were side quests.

If you just jump straight for the main missions, you can beat it in five or six hours. It was an INCREDIBLE finish, though, and there is a lot of replayability with the choices you make. But still, short game for a Bioware game. I'm looking forward to the sequel now.

Also: awesome end credit music.

Dashui on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am going to take my sweet, sweet time with it

bruin on
  • AmbivalentAmbivalent Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I was really hoping for a really long campaign to keep me busy for months.

Ambivalent on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yep. That was the ending. I just beat it. That was about 24 and a half hours total, and nearly 20 of those hours were side quests.

If you just jump straight for the main missions, you can beat it in five or six hours. It was an INCREDIBLE finish, though, and there is a lot of replayability with the choices you make. But still, short game for a Bioware game. I'm looking forward to the sequel now.

Also: awesome end credit music.

So uh, was it good?

bruin on
    edited November 2007
    So when playing with Wrex I'm assuming when he kicks ass everyone will be saying the he is in Effect.

I am the first person to make this connection.

august on
    edited November 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I am going to take my sweet, sweet time with it

I took my sweet, sweet time with it, too. :P I did every side quest I could find, explored every inch of the galaxy, and then did the main quest. All in all, 24 and a half hours.

I will say this, though, there weren't that many morally ambiguous choices. I chose the Paragon route, and the "good" choices ended up with good consequences.

It's still one of my all time favorite games, and I'm pining for the sequels. The ending was incredible, and the end credit music? They definitely like to give homage to the 80's. :P I will most certainly replay the game with different routes, two, three, or more times. But at least now I have time to focus on beating other games, such as Crysis and Assassin's Creed coming out this week.

Dashui on
    edited November 2007
    august wrote: »
    So when playing with Wrex I'm assuming when he kicks ass everyone will be saying the he is in Effect.

I made that joke in the last thread, actually.

SO MUCH FOR NEW JACK SWING

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    august wrote: »

I made that joke in the last thread, actually.

SO MUCH FOR NEW JACK SWING

Dag ya'll.

august on
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    25 hours of gameplay including a majority of side quests? That is really disappointing.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    not really.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've learned to mistrust all gameplay time estimates from people in these forums.

I took 12 hours for Episode 2, and 22 or so for Bioshock. There were people getting like 3 hour playthroughs first time through for those.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For bioware? I think it is.

I haven't played Jade empire or KOTOR II tho, a bulk of my bioware experience is in the infinity engine.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I dont care about a games length as long as

A: There is no bullshit filler to pad the game out

B: It isn't too short that it doesnt develop the gameplay fully

Portal perfected both. Certain other games fail on one or both of them.

bioshock is another game that got it nearly about right.

22 hours, 220 hours or 20 minutes i dont care. fun is fun.

The_Scarab on
  • WordsworthWordsworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There's no way the main story (minus sidequests) is only 6 hours.

I think you accidentally played Assassin's Creed!

Wordsworth on
    Xbox LIVE: Wordsworth IV
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Guys, I... I won an ebay auction for a copy.

I spent more than I told myself I would, but it wasn't as much as some of the auctions I saw go. It should get mailed tomorrow and I should have it midweek.

DarkPrimus on
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Only 4 hours long? Well, there go my plans to buy it.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • WordsworthWordsworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Hey now guy, it's still going to be fantastic.

Wordsworth on
    Xbox LIVE: Wordsworth IV
    edited November 2007
    To Scarab and Wordsworth: It really wasn't that long. Six hours was about right for the main campaign.

But here's the thing, it felt perfect. It didn't drag on and there wasn't any filler. And you're not going to see everything your first time through. You're going to play it again with different classes, genders, squads, and choices. And you'll do it all the side quests again to see how the choices you make, as well as your class, origin, and gender, effect them. I know I'm going to play it at least two more times.

Well, more like six, as I've said, but it's a FANTASTIC ride and you ARE going to do the side quests and you ARE going to want to play it over and over again. You can spend over 100 hours with this game and still feel pleased with it. It's in my top ten, and I can't wait to jump in again.

Dashui on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I couldn't help myself. After hearing about K-Mart breaking the street date I simply couldn't resist the urge. And now I have Mass Effect.

It's good.

Javen on
    edited November 2007
    hate you javen

the reason I am not upset about the length is

a. I don't necessarily believe that's the whole length.

b. I don't care if it is, because once I'm done playing it, I'm going to play it again. and again. and again. and again.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    hate you javen

the reason I am not upset about the length is

a. I don't necessarily believe that's the whole length.

b. I don't care if it is, because once I'm done playing it, I'm going to play it again. and again. and again. and again.

The catch is that I won't have a 360 until tomorrow.

Javen on
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Well, more like six, as I've said, but it's a FANTASTIC ride and you ARE going to do the side quests and you ARE going to want to play it over and over again. You can spend over 100 hours with this game and still feel pleased with it. It's in my top ten, and I can't wait to jump in again.

I have never played a game I own more than once. Except for multiplayer, that is. It's just the lack of any real moral choices, technical problems and length really dampened my enthusiasm for the game.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I have never played a game I own more than once. Except for multiplayer, that is. It's just the lack of any real moral choices, technical problems and length really dampened my enthusiasm for the game.

I never get this. Maybe it's because I grew up gaming on a Mac, but what kind of person has the time and money to never revisit a game ever?

God, I played Deus Ex for the better part of a year.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
This discussion has been closed.