As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Eurovision 2016 - finals are today, come one and come

1789101113»

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    UUUURGH.

THAT WAS SOME STEAMING BULLSHIT.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, how they presented the votes sucks

It was a stellar show, Sweden

But whoever is in charge really needs to reconsider how that stuff is done

Platy on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I think the biggest change needed would be to show how many audience votes are available either by having a fixed set of votes for each % of the vote or just displaying what's left in the pot. As it stood last night it was a bit random "This country gets 39 votes, the next gets 43 for some reason etc"

That said, I do like the idea of having audience votes in a big lump at the end, the turnaround was really exciting compared to previous years where it was effectively all over after about 20min of voting

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I think the biggest change needed would be to show how many audience votes are available either by having a fixed set of votes for each % of the vote or just displaying what's left in the pot. As it stood last night it was a bit random "This country gets 39 votes, the next gets 43 for some reason etc"

That said, I do like the idea of having audience votes in a big lump at the end, the turnaround was really exciting compared to previous years where it was effectively all over after about 20min of voting

The audiencevote works exactly the same as the jury vote with each country giving out points from one to twelve. It's just the presentation that's different.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

The audiencevote works exactly the same as the jury vote with each country giving out points from one to twelve. It's just the presentation that's different.

Sure, I get why the numbers looked odd, that's where I think it could be improved by making the tiers fixed or something, so for example, tally all the votes into one big pot, then the top ones get an equivalent of one to twelve points, basically make the audience vote into the 43rd jury vote, but awarding a total of I don't know, around 400 points or so. It'd make it a bit more comprehensible because you could see how many votes were on the table like you can with the jury votes.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    It certainly drew attention to the fact that there were some countries which received almost no points from the jury but were "saved" by the audience vote

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I kinda love the fact Poland went from last to the top half.

I personally think the jury vote was bonkers

Austria's song was certainly not the third-worst in the contest

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Space pirate lord Dracula back from the brink!

I wonder where the Polish migrants were all these other years when Poland either didn't get out of the semi-final or the Polish entries ended up near the bottom

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2016
    Tynic, where you are, this might be the most important moment in your country's history

I couldn't actually watch it
    by the time I had time to sit down and view, eurovision had shunted the video over to youtube, where it was region-blocked. And logo don't have it on replay. I'll try bbc iplayer maybe.
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Huh, that's weird

The semis aren't a youtube stream, and they still work fine

Edit: Just watch the semis anyways - they're typically better than watching the finals, if you ask me

totally disagree, they almost always ramp up the costumes and insanity for the finals. Semis are like a warmup, usually much more boring.

I didn't watch the finals but uh

Did Australia enter something different than they did in the semis?

Because they were one of the worst performances in either qualifying round

i um
    I didn't like the song, but you've got to be kidding me. It wasn't exactly thrilling but there were definitely much worse.

tynic on
    tynic wrote: »
    Tynic, where you are, this might be the most important moment in your country's history

I couldn't actually watch it
    by the time I had time to sit down and view, eurovision had shunted the video over to youtube, where it was region-blocked. And logo don't have it on replay. I'll try bbc iplayer maybe.
    Huh, that's weird

The semis aren't a youtube stream, and they still work fine

Edit: Just watch the semis anyways - they're typically better than watching the finals, if you ask me

totally disagree, they almost always ramp up the costumes and insanity for the finals. Semis are like a warmup, usually much more boring.

I didn't watch the finals but uh

Did Australia enter something different than they did in the semis?

Because they were one of the worst performances in either qualifying round

i um
    I didn't like the song, but you've got to be kidding me. It wasn't exactly thrilling but there were definitely much worse.

Yeah, Australia certainly had the axtual singing part down pat, only the presentation was super boring.

yeah i wish we'd actually gotten into the spirit of things and done something ludicrous.

Oh, I think Australia's stage show during the final wasn't that bad

It had the weird holograms and I don't know how they did those, remember

The Mantiz wrote: »
    I know politics has always been a part of Eurovision, but this is too blatant for my taste, and I'm actually pretty sad that the voting ended this way.

I want my Eurovision to be silly and fun.

:/

if you can utilize a global platform to make a trenchant political point, you should fucking well do it.
    For once it might make Eurovision something other than a massive waste of money.

The whole show seemed rather muted this year. Really only Russia, the robo-dance-battle, "Peace, Peace, Love, Love" and whoever was responsible for the stage had ESC-worthy performances.

I haven't seen it yet, I just put the BBC stream on in the background now.

I think that's one thing I don't like about this semi-final/final format. You get kind of a teaser of the actual act, but you don't really get to see people pull out the stops unless they make it to the final.

tynic wrote: »

I haven't seen it yet, I just put the BBC stream on in the background now.

I think that's one thing I don't like about this semi-final/final format. You get kind of a teaser of the actual act, but you don't really get to see people pull out the stops unless they make it to the final.

It was the same Tony Stark/pre-crime hologram thingy as in the semi.

People say Ukraine shouldn't have been allowed to enter this song because it is too "political"

But

The lyrics deal with the singer's family history, there is just no way to stop this

What if a singer from Israel would enter with a song dealing with her family's history during the Holocaust

Luckily we're well past the point where most people in Germany would feel fucking offended by this

People say Ukraine shouldn't have been allowed to enter this song because it is too "political"

But

The lyrics deal with the singer's family history, there is just no way to stop this

What if a singer from Israel would enter with a song dealing with her family's history during the Holocaust

Luckily we're well past the point where most people in Germany would feel fucking offended by this

and who the hell gets to judge what is 'political'

and if you (general you, not Platy) think censoring content in order to present a boppy, poppy upbeat image of a unified Europe isn't a political act, I have a Potemkin village to show you.

Also, you can't prevent an entry just because it is sung by a member of a minority which is indigenous to a currently occupied territory

What are those ideas people have

so I'm catching up slowly and man
    Czech republic song is like someone said "what if we took the most boring bits of every Celine Dion non-hit

also shut up, Graham Norton

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Id rather see the audiences votes per country and see the judges votes lumped together

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Lotta people haven't really registered what's happening on the Ukraine/Russian border and it's creating some dissonance with the song drawing attention to it.

The no political thing was put in place to stop countries just sniping at each other at the content for mundane things, I don't think they were thinking about how wars and invasions were going to be addressed when the rule was put in place.

• The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm fine with songs having a political theme, and I have no problem with having Ukraines song in the Final. I just feel like Australia lost the first place to an inferior song because the people of Europe choose that to make a statement.

It is a tough subject and an overall shitty situation, but I just have a really bad taste in mouth about how the voting ended.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    All political statements aside, I can't possibly feel bad about losing to a song containing the phrase "rivers of blood"

Stealing some alliteration from Simon and Garfunkel and throwing in a weird reference to Facetime just doesn't have the same impact.

Also, the "best" songs usually don't win the contest

Occasionally they do, but more often they don't

She sat on a big cube for most of it!

I mean I get that the song needed to presented simply (especially with that mad arm bling threatening to take over) but sitting down while cracking out a big song just seems super lazy.

(Sorry I am just going back and catching up on the thread since I watched it 12 hours out of sync that you guys)
    It's Blake!

I was also excited to see me on tv as well!

Retro-commentary is the best commentary

edited May 2016
    I had to go out halfway through watching so I am also needing to finish my catch up.
    ... hmm I was going to go for a run too.

update: Croatia is a giant bird that wants to be Sinead O'Connor

update 2: Holy shit, Russia. Some real Triumph of the Will vibes happening here.
    (I missed the first semi so a lot of this stuff is new to me)

tynic on
    edited May 2016
    In a surprise twist, Latvia has sent a young Chris Evans to compete.

edit: regardless of how much you like the Ukraine song (and I actually think from a composition perspective it probably is the best overall piece of music, though that's very unlikely to factor in much to the voting), the staging is gorgeous.
    But not as bonkers and fun as Russia though.

double edit: If i was the UK entry, I'd kidnap Graham Norton and force him to eat his own patronisation.

tynic on
    I think this was my favourite Eurovision tweet.

ANV_0875.jpg

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Also, the "best" songs usually don't win the contest

Occasionally they do, but more often they don't

Lordi!

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Peace Peace Love Love! (and a man in a hamster wheel)

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko