As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I think we broke PushFight

SparePartsSpareParts Lord of the God KingsRegistered User new member
I broke down and picked up a copy of PushFight the other day, and @Mongrel Idiot and I have been playing it all evening. He started out kicking my ass, then I got some chicken in me and staged a comeback. Now, I think, we're pretty evenly matched; perhaps too evenly. For the last half hour or so we've been stuck in what appears to be a stalemate - so much so that we've started openly discussing our strategies with one another just to see if there's a way short of accidental buffoonery for one player to get the better of the other. I say "appears to be a stalemate" because the nature of the game (up to two moves and a mandatory push per turn) means that the actual mechanics of a stalemate may play out over quite a few more moves than a similar stalemate in, say, Chess.

So here's a picture of the situation:

KByYjEO.jpg

Mongrel, who is brown here, managed to get his pieces lined up against one of the rails. It seems that brown can now continually cycle his pieces through that position without ever really giving it. White, meanwhile, can dance and dicker round the rest of the board, but can't get in a position to force brown away from the rail without also, himself, losing.

Have we managed to break the game, or are we just missing some elegant strategic nuance that'll bust this position wide open?

Please support your argument with specific examples from the text.

Weaver wrote:
The toilet is not a shower. The shower is the big toilet next to your "shower".

Check out our podcast about board games and bullshit at www.mildlyalarming.com.

• InkhandInkhand Registered User regular
    Having never seen this game before, all I can say is that DeepMind is your only hope. If it can win at Go, it can win at blocky-pushy.

• pushfighterpushfighter President at Brettco, Inc. Willard, MORegistered User regular
    I would try this approach.

7d0fzzvqwwt1.jpg

• SparePartsSpareParts Lord of the God Kings Registered User new member
    Holy crap, that's a response from the actual creator of PushFight.

I need to get a board set up and play around with this some more. Thanks for the reply!

Weaver wrote:
    The toilet is not a shower. The shower is the big toilet next to your "shower".

Check out our podcast about board games and bullshit at www.mildlyalarming.com.
  • pushfighterpushfighter President at Brettco, Inc. Willard, MORegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    If you like, you and your buddy can team up to figure out the next turn for red. Post a pic after you place the anchor to finish your turn.

pushfighter on
    edited May 2016
    All for fun. :-) Also, the app is out on Android and Amazon. The iOS version should be out anytime. It's free.

pushfighter on