As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    actually, now that I think about it, KoTOR is about 25 hours long too. and I've never just blasted through it, but I'm sure you could probably knock it out in about 6 if you didn't do anything but get the star maps.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I never get this. Maybe it's because I grew up gaming on a Mac, but what kind of person has the time and money to never revisit a game ever?

It's more like my lack of time prevents me from replaying games. Also, I remember pretty much everything from the games I play. Nothing is "fun" anymore when you know exactly what's going to happen. I tried playing Baldur's Gate 2 over again, and just found myself clicking the "next" button in every dialogue, because I've seen it all before.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey guys with game. How are the AI? Good enough for a bajillion replays or lots of scripting.

I obviously don't have the game and haven't read any of these spoilers that are everywhere, so please try to skimp on direct game references unless you're really vague.

Hopefully it's good.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    hate you javen

the reason I am not upset about the length is

a. I don't necessarily believe that's the whole length.

b. I don't care if it is, because once I'm done playing it, I'm going to play it again. and again. and again. and again.

B is most certainly true. As I've said, you are going to want to play it again. And again. And again. And again. And as I've said, you're going to probably do all the side quests and do them again to see the differences in choice, and so the average length will be 25 hours if you explore and pursue everything.

You can say I'm wrong, of course, that the main campaign is not six hours long, but I did beat it, and you will, too. And you'll see that I'm right, but you're not going to care, because it was an awesome journey and you will go through it all over again.

The only thing I didn't complete were two scavenger hunt side-quests (you don't get them from anyone, they just pop up the first time you find a special item). I was close to beating them, and would have if I built up my decryption and electronic skills earlier, as certain debris or anomalies on planets required a certain level of decryption and electronic. You get those items from those debris of anomalies, and I was about three away from getting the total for both.

Edit: I just want to say, I'm not complaining about the length. I think it's perfect. There was no filler and it was precise and to the point. It didn't drag on. And it kind of promotes extra playthroughs, you know? A 60 hour game is going to be a lot less compelling to play again than a 25 hour game, I'd think.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    GenericFan wrote: »
    Hey guys with game. How are the AI? Good enough for a bajillion replays or lots of scripting.

I obviously don't have the game and haven't read any of these spoilers that are everywhere, so please try to skimp on direct game references unless you're really vague.

Hopefully it's good.

Uhh the enemy AI was pretty generic, and I really only got to experience the real basics of commanding a squad but it seems like your party members are pretty capable on their own, but if you take the reins you can really pull off some techy shit. I never *had* to give my party any orders to get through a specific part (probably due to me not having progressed very far yet) so it might swing a tad on the easy side, but like I said, I never really made it past the early stages of the game.

Javen on
    edited November 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    GenericFan wrote: »

Hopefully it's good.

Uhh the enemy AI was pretty generic, and I really only got to experience the real basics of commanding a squad but it seems like your party members are pretty capable on their own, but if you take the reins you can really pull off some techy shit. I never *had* to give my party any orders to get through a specific part (probably due to me not having progressed very far yet) so it might swing a tad on the easy side, but like I said, I never really made it past the early stages of the game.

Things will get more difficult as you fight more challenging opponents. You'll definitely bring up the squad ability menu and utilize their abilities later. But yes, they're pretty good at handling things on their own. They don't run into walls or shoot the ground like they used to in demonstration footage. :P

Dashui on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wait, this game is actually short for an RPG?

That's fucking awesome. I know it'll probably piss off a lot of people, but I have so many other games I'm playing as well. I was hoping for something around 20-30 hours.

The Sneak! on
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you gave me a game like ME that had and endless amount of planets to explore I would never stop playing it.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    also, isn't there downloadable content planned with this game?

you know, better downloadable content than "here's an extra planet that is basically a phat lewt store and then we forgot about downloadable content altogether"

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think it's supposed to be story advancing stuff that bridges the gap between the first and second game.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    For bioware? I think it is.

I haven't played Jade empire or KOTOR II tho, a bulk of my bioware experience is in the infinity engine.

KOTOR II is not a Bioware game

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WordsworthWordsworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you gave me a game like ME that had and endless amount of planets to explore I would never stop playing it.

People say you shouldn't go around liming everything but I just agree so hard.

Wordsworth on
    Xbox LIVE: Wordsworth IV
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The thing that sucks about this releasing next week is that it comes out at the same time as Rock Band, meaning I'm not going to be able to sit down and actually play the fucking game for more than 30 minutes before either the fiancee or friends want to play Rock Band.

The Sneak! on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    The thing that sucks about this releasing next week is that it comes out at the same time as Rock Band, meaning I'm not going to be able to sit down and actually play the fucking game for more than 30 minutes before either the fiancee or friends want to play Rock Band.

I'm definitely going to sneak mass effect in any time the whole crew isn't around. Rock Band actually comes out first though, technically, since the 20th is the street date and it should have already shipped days before hand.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
    edited November 2007
    apparently mass effect already shipped too.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    And I'm gonna hold off on any speculations about length until we get more than one person's impression.

Although seriously durandal, 12 hours for episode 2? 22 for Bioshock? Do you crouch walk everywhere?

It didnt even take me 12 hours to beat Half Life 2

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    For bioware? I think it is.

I haven't played Jade empire or KOTOR II tho, a bulk of my bioware experience is in the infinity engine.

KOTOR II is not a Bioware game

ok.

I have yet to play the game, so my opinion is subject to change but If I hear "exploration" and bioware in the same sentence my mind wanders to things like baldurs gate 1 & 2. My mind then conjures up a completely unrealistic number of hours of gameplay for side quests.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    So I just beat the game in 22 hours 45 minutes. I'm starting a new game right away with that neat function where you can use your previous character (levels and all) from the start.

After beating it and having the best time of my life I recalled that question: "Can a video game make you cry?"

Almost. The story is so goddamn compelling. Go fuck yourself Star Wars.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But you know that there are still going to be people (including some who will post in this thread) who that just isn't enough for.

devoir on
    edited November 2007
    meh

25 hours is pretty good. it'll take me more than two days to beat because I go outside from time to time.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It doesn't matter how long the game is, as long as all the time spent is quality.

And if you beat the game and want to play it again, well then, that play time just doubled.

DarkPrimus on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    And I'm gonna hold off on any speculations about length until we get more than one person's impression.

Although seriously durandal, 12 hours for episode 2? 22 for Bioshock? Do you crouch walk everywhere?

It didnt even take me 12 hours to beat Half Life 2

Man dammit I take my time. I also play on the highest difficulty from the word go.

Okay, and like 30 minutes of that was
    Hopping around the White Forest Inn or whatever looking for the traps I knew must be around there somehwhere. It was as I was looking for another box to stack in order to get on the roofs that I accidentally triggered it.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited November 2007
    I like the replayability, so I'm not too fussed about the length of time for the first play through.

I'm curious whether those who have played through it already skipped dialogue at all via subtitles.

devoir on
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    I like the replayability, so I'm not too fussed about the length of time for the first play through.

I'm curious whether those who have played through it already skipped dialogue at all via subtitles.

Still don't believe that if you take the time to explore and do side quests, it's 25 hours long? :P No, I didn't skip any dialogue or even use subtitles. The subtitles kind of detracted from the cinematic quality. It took around six hours, maybe a little more, to beat the main missions and, as I said, that's with all the dialogue playing their course.

But yes, it's a game where you're going to want to play it again, and do the side missions all over again to try out different results. I'm going play it a second time using the same career (you can do this, and stats and equipment carry over) except I'm going to be an ass and do different romance subplots.

Dashui on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    25 hours and you did everything? Seriously?

I'm 12 hours in and have only visited three solar systems, plus the citadel. I've only completed one story line quest since leaving the citadel and have a ENORMOUS list of side missions to do. Of course I have been reading every little piece of backstory they give, which is a lot, and have been rather extensively exploring each planet I land on to make sure I find all of the deposits, crash sites, artifacts, etc that aren't listed on the map from the get go. I can't imagine wraping this up in 25 hours with all of the stuff in my journal right now, maybe in thirty. I'm not saying you dind't beat it in 25 I just, man, that seems fast for doing all of the side stuff based on what I've picked up so far.

I'd be able to tell you more if the wife would stop kicking me off for Guitar Hero. So annoying.

Accualt on
    edited November 2007
    The answer is simple, Accualt.

devoir on
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    The answer is simple, Accualt.

:lol:

Wordsworth on
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, since everyone seems to be gushing about the game, my earlier comments were... hasty.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So about the Kmart street-date breaking thing. Did any other stores also start selling it in reprisal, so as not to lose out on potential sales?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    harvest wrote: »
    So about the Kmart street-date breaking thing. Did any other stores also start selling it in reprisal, so as not to lose out on potential sales?

All signs point to scattered street date breaking that was quickly fixed. I wouldn't bother looking too hard. I didn't hear about other stores either.

captaink on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Someone should, like, gear up to make a new thread pretty soon.

I don't think I will be as I'm steering clear of ME threads now anyway.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Ah, dammit.
    Someone tell me something that is wrong with this game.
    I can't afford a 360 right now, I really can't.

The only thing I can think of is that it's not officially out yet.

Oh, and some of the plot points made me hate BioWare's writers.
    Virmire. You'll understand when you get there. Holy fuck.

These are big spoilers, so if you don't have the game, don't read it. So Taramoor, I just want to know why?
    I just beat Virmire. What did you not like about it? So far I'm pleased. It was a pretty epic moment. You had to choose who lives or dies, for sure, but that didn't bother me since I didn't like Kaidan. :P You also find out why Saren is doing what he's doing, and it's not that black and white. I was worried for a moment, though, that you'd actually kill him at that moment. Luckily, you don't, so I get to keep chasing his ass.
    Seriously huge plot spoiler ahead.
    My charm/intimidate was not high enough, and Wrex died. So fuck BioWare.

That's all.

Taramoor on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ah, dammit.

These are big spoilers, so if you don't have the game, don't read it. So Taramoor, I just want to know why?
    I just beat Virmire. What did you not like about it? So far I'm pleased. It was a pretty epic moment. You had to choose who lives or dies, for sure, but that didn't bother me since I didn't like Kaidan. :P You also find out why Saren is doing what he's doing, and it's not that black and white. I was worried for a moment, though, that you'd actually kill him at that moment. Luckily, you don't, so I get to keep chasing his ass.

That's all.
    Yeah, I learned with kotor that Persuade is the most essential skill you can learn. Always.

Javen on
    edited November 2007
    Ah, dammit.

That's all.

Oh man those are some big spoilers some of you dudes really might not wanna click that one just as a heads up.

Wordsworth on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Great, I come back from a fantastic weekend of LAN gaming goodness only to find people not only already playing the game but having finished it already in UNDER 10 HOURS.

And graphical problems? I knew that it would have the patented UE3 texture pop-in but hearing other stuff really put me off.

So the messiahs of gaming is just a "good game"? Great, thanks a lot guys.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    No, it's a "great game".

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Target I work at got some copies of Mass Effect today! :-o I open a box and saw "Do not sell until 11/20." and I picked the case up and it was ME!

:D

Regicid3 on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    Great, I come back from a fantastic weekend of LAN gaming goodness only to find people not only already playing the game but having finished it already in UNDER 10 HOURS.

To be fair, you could beat the Fallouts in like 20 minutes each. Long as that 10 hours doesn't encompass like 80% of the game, I don't mind.

Docshifty on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I must be a slow gamer. I've only beaten 2 planets (if you count the Citadel, not count Eden Prime which more or less "intro" material) and just started scanning/searching the galaxy and I'm at 9 hours or so of gameplay according to my most recent save file.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This could be one of those weird game time counting things. Does it count when you're in menus, doing crap with your squad? Or if you've got non-interactive cutscenes (sure, most dialogue is in-scene, but there's got to be 'movie-like' stuff) and other times when you're not in control of your character and they might suspend the clock?

25 isn't unreasonable, you can usually beat most games in well under that timeframe, and it is near KotOR's duration (and Taris took some people 6 hours).

My question: do they handle the translation of alien races, or do any of them work like KotOr with repetitive alien speech and then subtitles? I heard someone said something like "most of the aliens have an electronic twinge to their voice because they're being translated by a computer" or something, which I thought would be cool, but maybe people have other related experiences to share about that.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
This discussion has been closed.