As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PAX South 17] It's Over. See You Next Time

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited January 2017 in Social Entropy++
2tu9euG.png

This is tomorrow. We still don't know the dates! Stuff is happening! All hands on deck!

What is PAX South?
PAX South is the 4th installment of the (now) quarterly gaming convention started by Penny Arcade and now jointly run by them and ReedPOP/Reed Exhibitions.

When is PAX South 2017?
January 27 - 29, 2017

Where is PAX South 2017?
PAX South will be held, once again, in the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, TX.

Why is PAX South 2017?
Because Southerners love gaming, too. And also its comparatively cheaper to go there rather than the other PAXes depending on where you're coming from (i.e. New York)

Let's talk about PAX, baby!

Goose! on

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Guess I'm getting badges again

I dunno what my work situation will look like by next year so Megan and I may be begging for couches

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm thinking I might buy tickets to this this year

It's probably super unwise to take two trips so close together between this and East

But at South I'd definitely have more time for shenanigans with forumers

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Aww jeeze I was hoping for some more time so I could try to scrape some money together.
    But at this point there's no guarantee I'll have the funds for this, this year so I guess I'll be passing on badges.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    South takes a while to sell out usually, you should have time.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, even 3-day passes took I think a few days to sell out.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    According a search, South should be January 27th-29th

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Dang, doesn't quite line up with my birthday this year. Close enough!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Let's talk about all the good things

and the bad things

PAX may be

• Options
    Let's talk about all the good things

and the bad things

PAX may be

So will next year's 90's song be 'I Want to PAX You Up'?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow at 5 PM ET so I'm hoping that the tickets go on sale relatively earlier in the day.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Hopefully there will still be three day passes when I can afford them.

I know it was slow last year, but that might change.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2016
    For sellout information, the @SkeleVader spreadsheet

zerzhul on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    zerzhul wrote: »
    For sellout information, the SkeleVader spreadsheet

So that's why I haven't bothered going to Prime since 2013 :rotate:

Sells out so fast, dang.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I have set up my twitter alerts on Official PAX, Robert, and Jeff too.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Tickets haven't even gone on sale yet and I'm looking at the potential of sharing a room with 4 other people.

Ugh.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Very nice, was just looking at hotel deals on Priceline when Khoo confirmed the date over twitter. Jan 27-29th it is!

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Yep yep.

• Options
    A lot of airlines seem very keen on sending me from Salt Lake to Los Angeles on my way to San Antonio, for some reason. And all the return flights either want to get me out of bed at bullshit-o'-clock that morning, or else arrive too late to catch the train home from the airport that night.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    I booked a room at the Riverwalk Plaza Hotel through Priceline for 89/night. It's free cancellation so I'll see if I find a cheaper/better option tomorrow via OnPeak

• Options
    edited May 2016
    It looks like I can secure a room at the same place I stayed the last two years for around $120/night - the Best Western Plus Sunset Suites Riverwalk. Only 0.4 miles from the convention center, pretty decent wifi, pretty great breakfast, waffles shaped like Texas. That's for a room with two double beds.

It's a pretty good price compared to all the stuff actually on the Riverwalk, but I sure wouldn't mind cutting it down further. Anyone interested in sharing a room? I'm planning to arrive on the afternoon of Thursday the 26th and depart on the morning of Tuesday the 31st, so the five nights in between are all available, but I'm OK with it if you just want to share the room for the nights of the convention or whatever. Also I won't be expecting anyone to share a bed unless they're cool with it.

Edit: Fixed Date
    Edit Edit: Actually, I think I'll shift that to arrival on Wednesday the 25th and departure on Monday the 30th. More people seem to be around to hang out before the show than after.
    Edit Edit Edit: Shifting the dates made all the rooms with two beds disappear. These rooms, in my experience, have had super comfortable couches though. So if you're desperate enough for a place to stay that you don't mind that, let me know, and we can negotiate something pretty rock-bottom cheap!
    Edit Edit Edit Edit: Hahahaha what the butts, it's trying to book my return through North Carolina now!
    EDIT x5 SUPER EDIT COMBO: Customers stopped coming in to work long enough for me to actually book this crap. I'll arrive 4PM on the 25th and leave 8PM on the 30th.

Desert Leviathan on
  • Options
    I think Tuesday is the 31st?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'll probably just stay at the drury again if only so I can be across the street from the esquire again and have an excuse to go there because god damn their cocktails and food are good.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    I think Tuesday is the 31st?

That is correct! I was on Priceline in the first place booking for another event, and mixed up the days.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    OK, screw it. next year I'm staying at the La Quinta across the street from the convention center. I'm going to get an employee rate, dang it!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Sooo... PAX South D&D. I want to make it a thing that I do. And I have a whole lot of lessons to apply from last time.

1.) Shorter adventure. Having seen my 1.5 to 2 hour adventure balloon into a 4.5 hour adventure, I've got a much better sense of how much to prepare.
    2.) Hard cap on player numbers, first-come first serve. That giant eight-player-table was more than a little unwieldy.
    3.) Multiple sessions available. Even with that giant table, I heard some folks still missed out.
    4.) Maybe stick a post-it inside my DM screen reminding me not to cuss so much in the hotel lobby, in the event we use the same venue.
    5.) Strongly encourage sign-ups in advance, so I can make custom characters for anyone who can't make their own, instead of handing out pre-generated ones.
    6.) Snacks. I should never leave a D&D table hungry enough that Denny's sounds like a good idea. (I'll still go to Denny's though, it's practically a tradition at this point).

Current plans:
    - 5E
    - 5th level to start.
    - Feats are in play. Alternate humans are also in play.
    - Alternate class stuff from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is good to go.
    - Alternate stuff from the Elemental Evil pdf. is mostly OK too. Except those birdmen guys. They introduce a lot of complications to dungeon design.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    8-player D&D was baaaaaaaaaaaaananas

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I did enjoy letting everyone check to see if they could read the the thing

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    I booked a room at the Riverwalk Plaza Hotel through Priceline for 89/night. It's free cancellation so I'll see if I find a cheaper/better option tomorrow via OnPeak

Do they charge up front?

I'm a little too broke right this second to drop a few hundred bucks on a just in case room, unfortunately, but if I can just put a reservation down and see what they've got tomorrow I might do the same

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    :cry: this is the thing I am most sad about

I guess depending on what happens with this Singapore job

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Holy shit! All the flights from Atlanta to San Antonio are pretty expensive!

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    jesus christ khoo, calm the fuck down

we ain't havin' a run on texmex or barbecue, it'll be ok

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    The best part was the hotel staff wanting to join in!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Also, We are going to make sure Mellow Pax is a thing.
    I'll be looking for an appropriate rooms online so folk can just hang and play consoles or board games as an alternative to bars.
    Def open to help too!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    My most economical option might be to take a roughly twenty four hour bus ride

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I put it on a credit card, and it hasn't shown up on the website yet.

Goose! on
  • Options

Now I double regret not hanging out with the group and skipping karaoke.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Speed Racer
    Won a tshirt by getting the highest score of the hour* at Cumulus.
    Yall can't handle my tetris game.

*Day.

I got a silver fuckin medal that says otherwise

I haven't forgotten this.
    Which manner of Tetris is your jam?
    I would like to get it and play some multi with you if possible. Relive my glory days of dueling people in calculator Tetris in high-school.

Ahhh to be young again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    my favorite is tetris DS

i think they did tetris axis at the tournament

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Is this the year? The year I become an Omeganaut?

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Wait. Wait. What?? No Sandra at South? Oh nooo! :cry:

Goose! on