As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DOOM

MeldingMelding Registered User regular
edited May 2016 in Social Entropy++
I tries to think of a clever title. It didn't work.

2gm4aZwh.jpg

It's been everything.

books
lgQwkROh.jpg

a movie
QyqJEsyh.jpg

a comic
4KlAtrTh.jpg

and now i guess a video game.

A pretty good video game, where you shoot guns at guns and stuff. Enough of us are playing it that we should meet here and complain about how there's 3 fucking dimensions now, and that it doesn't look like something i drew on my 7th grade binder.

Let's get to it!

Melding on

• Options
    Complaint one: there is only like 13 levels? That's barely more than the share version i got from a box of cereal in the 90s, what the fuck?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Disappointed this is not a Doctor thread.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Doom has also been a comic

727284ac38a097f7ea7a7504642cbf0e-650-80.jpg

That is all

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm going to make the controversial statement and say

I really liked Doom 3

it's a good action horror game.

However the new Doom is clearly the game they should have made and though I have not played it, I can tell I'll like it better than Doom 3.

Just shit loads of monsters coming at me whilst I make it rain with a chaingun.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I found this used today for $45 so I bought it

And I just beat Uncharted 4 so I will probably check this out tomorrow

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    This game is so good you guys

This is how you start the game

https://youtu.be/x_d54SejEHA

And it only gets better

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I like when
    "I'm Doctor Probablygonnabetrayyou and we should work together."

And you smash the screen. No thanks you Polito Wannabe

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Complaint one: there is only like 13 levels? That's barely more than the share version i got from a box of cereal in the 90s, what the fuck?

You could speed through a lot of classic Doom levels in like 20 minutes. The new Doom's levels can take an hour or more.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

You could speed through a lot of classic Doom levels in like 20 minutes. The new Doom's levels can take an hour or more.

you can do most of them in under 10, but there's 32 of them. That's more than 13!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There were only 27 in the original doom. Three of them were secret, too.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The first ten minutes of Doom--from cold open to late title card--are maybe the best first ten minutes of any video game

I cannot stress enough how fucking elegant it is, and how smart every design decision is, and how much fun I had playing through the entire goddamn thing

I am utterly baffled by the stuff surrounding the game, though. Like why are SnapMap and multiplayer two different modes you have to launch in? Why do they have two separate progressions? Why does multiplayer have some unique weapons? Why does SnapMap not have all the weapon mods or allow you to carry more than two weapons? Why are the crosshairs different? Why does the movement feel slightly different, so slight I can't be sure what's even different at all?

And how did all of that happen when the campaign is maybe the most perfect representation of Doom you could make in 2016?

I don't know

But holy god damn the more I think about it and the more I play it the more I think Doom might be the most brilliantly designed shooter I've played in years

And that's not even taking into consideration how clever and elegant the things they do with the narrative and the Doomguy and his whole motivation and how they communicate that to the player in simple and effective ways that correspond to how the player feels!

Fucking DOOM you guys!!!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Question about the campaign (I've only watched the early minutes of this)
    Does the game keep up the running gag of Doom Marine actively shunning Mysterious Guy Who Is In Constant Radio Contact With You? Because that joke was amazing.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    e2vlo8nxn7vx.jpg

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I want to play this game but I don't think I want to pay full price for it.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I want to play this game but I don't think I want to pay full price for it.
    Me, talking about anything.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    You can always get it in green man if you feel like grey market

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    @Indie Winter that gif is 10 megs dude

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't do PC. My laptop is not a gaming machine at all.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Question about the campaign (I've only watched the early minutes of this)
    Does the game keep up the running gag of Doom Marine actively shunning Mysterious Guy Who Is In Constant Radio Contact With You? Because that joke was amazing.

The doomGuy never has time for anyone's shit. Corpses, demons, npcs helping you, he spends the entire game knowing what has do be done and he does it. It definitely captures the forward-momentum "force of nature-no bullshit" aspect of the badass fps guy mythos. That being said I wouldn't describe him as a dick, it's more that the bullshit and politics and such of everyone around him talking to him he has zero interest in. I'm gonna spoiler tag the next part, but it's made clear through that first intro, and just describes the setting, no narrative plot spoilers:
    this is a universe that runs on hell energy. Ie, they mine hell for resources, energy, etc. so people are largely pro-hell. This is not only hilarious, but means that everyone doesn't want you to damage hell too badly. DoomGuy don't play none of this shit. He's basically giving the finger to the entire civilisation built on hell energy and tech. So in the minds of everyone but him, he's a jerk. But from his and the audience perspective, THESE ARE FUCKING DEMONS. You kill them and stay the fuck out of hell.

That's why it works. The humour isn't in the dialogue, it's in the hilarious juxtaposition between our own understanding and feelings about Hell and the kind of "corporate-helping people grow" view of hell that everyone has in this future. It's delightfully cheesy without being "jokey", it's more like 80s dystopia silliness from RoboCop or something

Honestly if you don't want to pay full price for it and have other games just don't, it'll be there, and you're buying it for the campaign so you're not going to be worried about the multiplayer community dissapearing. But if you're remotely interested you definitely should buy it when the price is right for you

Prohass on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I don't do PC. My laptop is not a gaming machine at all.

While PC is ideal, it looks and feels sublime on consoles too

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Oh hey, my local Redbox has this in stock. It may be time to Brock Sampson my way through hell.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    e2vlo8nxn7vx.jpg

Why is there an apostrophe in that?!

:bigfrown:

• Options
    Hmmm... I could Redbox it...

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    e2vlo8nxn7vx.jpg

not sure if joking, but it was intentional.

check out frisky dingo on hulu

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Yeah this game is great

The intro is hot fire right into the mix it sets it up so well and thrust you right in.

The movement gunplay and maps are so goos flow around effortlessly trying not to get murdered.

I slapped that bad boy on nightmare at its a lot of fun because the arenas are kinda like puzzlea except you get set on fire for failing

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I gotta see if ati dropped some drivers/mess around with the settings however. Its 100% awesome and still feels fast as hell at a steady 30fps but Im curious how it feels at 60.

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I know a lot of folks don't care for them, but Gamestop is doing a 50% trade in bonus if you trade games or accessories towards Doom. I decided with the cancellation news to get out of Disney Infinity and it bumped my figures from $180 to $270 (I'm pretty sure I made a profit on Infinity given how many of my figures were used/sale purchases).

Great game. I think I'm only about an hour in, but I've loved every second of it.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So is there jumping? I was strangely hoping they would do this new version and keep the no jumping from the original.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So is there jumping? I was strangely hoping they would do this new version and keep the no jumping from the original.

there is a lot of jumping but its good

• Options
    There should be no jumping and no Y axis aiming.

• Options
    There should be no jumping and no Y axis aiming.

This is a game that recreates the feel of Doom expertly

that doesn't mean its beholden to every design decision of the original

One of the best things this game does is fairly vertical combat arenas and it would be a lesser game without vertical aiming or jumping

• Options
    I was just making a joke.... GEEZE

• Options

sorry

I have seen a lot of people say this with complete seriousness so I can't tell

• Options

sorry

I have seen a lot of people say this with complete seriousness so I can't tell

GEEEEEEZE

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    e2vlo8nxn7vx.jpg

It's an ironic doom.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I would actually love the game if they did that but I certainly don't consider it a mandate or anything.

It would just be really cool and nostalgic.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    If you're feeling really nostalgic, here's a 50 min documentary explaining the creation of, the gameplay of, and the Legacy of DOOM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A4-SVUHQYI

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    If you're feeling really nostalgic, here's a 50 min documentary explaining the creation of, the gameplay of, and the Legacy of DOOM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A4-SVUHQYI

Nah. I'd just go play it again!

• Options
    It would be cool if they somehow made it a playable mode after you beat the game. Nostalgia mode with original graphics and controls.