As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV]Thread: Life Advice: Listen to AJ. He is the Light

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2016 in Social Entropy++
I was going to make a big OP about Sabado Gigante but I changed my mind.

Instead let's talk about summer television... When all of the regular shows take a hiatus and we're stuck with whatever crap they decide to air. It's not at bad as it used to be at least. This summer at can look forward to:

Preacher - AMC
Another Period - Comedy Central
Aquarius - NBC
The Astronaut Wives Club - ABC
The Briefcase - CBS (this one looks especially disgusting)
Bullseye - Fox
The Carmichael Show - NBC
Clipped - TBS

... A bunch of other bullshit.

Most of this garbage most be around long fortunately.

I'm actually kind of interested in Preacher...

Raijin Quickfoot on

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    yo if you aren't watching UnREAL, you're fucking up

also i can't wait to see how crazy season two of wayward pines gets. that show was a hidden gem last summer.

also there's difficult people on hulu and lady dynamite on netflix

also also mr. robot!!!!!

ya completely whiffed this dang op, steve

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Preacher!
    0621.png

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    ah yes

bigger cheese

my favorite tv show

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    CAN we look forward to Preacher, though

Can we

6F32U1X.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    preacher is 100% not for me

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    CAN we look forward to Preacher, though

Can we
    It has gotten some pretty positive buzz from press previews and is being compared to a Tarantino TV show so

Yes?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i don't know if the preacher show is going to be good but i'm eagerly anticipating the chance to talk at length about the preacher comic book

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    For anyone curious as to how Castle handled it's series finale, here's a quick transcript of literally the last two minutes:
    Castle and Beckett are in their apartment, happy that it's all over (the writers had reached into a hat and pulled out the name of a random character from a single episode in the middle of the season and decided that person was the main villain behind everything).

Beckett is in the bedroom while Castle is in the kitchen. Suddenly, he realizes that part of the plot doesn't make sense and tries to mention it to Beckett...except he is instantly shot in the chest by the real villain that was suddenly in the apartment somehow. It turns out the real villain was a different random character from a single episode earlier this season! Except this one was supposed to be dead.

Beckett enters the room and exchanges gunshots with the villain, killing him. Except then it reveals Beckett has been shot as well as her chest is covered in blood and she collapses.

Castle and Beckett crawl towards each other as they are both bleeding out. As they finally reach each other, the camera pans away as we hear voice clips of when Castle and Beckett first met. The camera pans to an empty version of Castle's apartment.

Then suddenly there is a ten second clip with a "7 Years Later" subtitle that shows Castle and Beckett still in the apartment and raising three children together. The end.

Presumably if the show had been renewed then they wouldn't have shown the tacked on "7 Years Later" clip and Castle would have survived his gunshots while Beckett presumably died from hers. The empty apartment presumably meaning Castle moves into his PI office full time or something.

However, with the way it aired, people have basically broken into two camps:

1. They somehow survived the gunshots and got a happily ever after. The shot of the empty apartment is meaningless.
    2. They both died, as indicated by the shot of the empty apartment, and the "happy ending" was just in their heads as they faded away (and/or it was some sort of afterlife).

https://youtu.be/kPnlQTi8heM
    Fox is on some weird shit, you guys

6F32U1X.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

Like, reviews about TV shows or reviews of movies that were on tv and then transcripted or what

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/kPnlQTi8heM
    Fox is on some weird shit, you guys
    I

Hrm

I appreciate what they are going for and how batshit weird it is

But that didn't really make me laugh at all

CYpGAPn.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Like, reviews about TV shows or reviews of movies that were on tv and then transcripted or what

I'm guessing reviews for individual episodes of TV shows, because who the fuck would read those?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I did not know those exist

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    There are lots of reviews of individual TV episodes. I sometimes read them.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Jeez

It's like none of you have ever even heard of LOST Points

Son of Zorn is another Lord & Miller show

maybe this is the first one to not really work

6F32U1X.png
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    It feels more Adult Swim than Fox

I'm interested to see what critical reception is

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I would be very curious to see a full episode of Son of Zorn

and I do really love Cheryl Hines

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    yo if you aren't watching UnREAL, you're fucking up

also i can't wait to see how crazy season two of wayward pines gets. that show was a hidden gem last summer.

also there's difficult people on hulu and lady dynamite on netflix

also also mr. robot!!!!!

ya completely whiffed this dang op, steve

I was going for NEW shows!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Wait - is The Astronaut Wives Club coming back for a second season? I thought they just did the one? My wife would be thrilled if they did a season 2...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Is that not new?

Fuck! AJ was right! I did blow it!

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The Last Ship is coming back this summer, and it's enjoyable enough. Heck of a cliffhanger from the last season, so I'm curious as to how it will shake out.

sig.gif
    Jane the Virgin is DEAD TO ME!

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    My boss says, "No dice son, you gotta work late"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Coinage wrote: »

I read them after I've watched the episode, to glean details i might have missed or to see if other people agree with my interpretations (not all shows, just stuff like Mad Men )

Jane the Virgin is DEAD TO ME!

Holy shit! Nevermind! I'm back in completely!

tynic wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »

I read them after I've watched the episode, to glean details i might have missed or to see if other people agree with my interpretations (not all shows, just stuff like Mad Men )

I enjoy reading reviews of shows I really like. A good critic can break down exactly why a show is so good in a way that I'm never quite able to articulate and I find that really satisfying. The AV Club's TV Classic reviews were usually my go-to but most of the critics I liked aren't there anymore.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    TV reviews are good for dissecting the nuances of The Americans, and reliving the joys of seeing someone comeuppance'd on Survivor

Poorochondriac on
    edited May 2016
    John Teti's reviews of the final season of Mad Men on AV Club were essential to me figuring out what the hell that show was trying to say

Speaking of, today is the 1-year mark from the finale

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I regularly read reviews of all the superhero shows I watch, as they're generally written by someone who knows more about comics than me and can save me from having to Google all the one-off character names and references

Clarkson, Hammond, and May's new show is going to be called "The Grand Tour"

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Clarkson, Hammond, and May's new show is going to be called "The Grand Tour"

Oh no
    Baby James May.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    It's a boring name.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I read AV club reviews to see if I either think the reviewer is full of shit or they have the correct opinion. I believe they also helped turn me on to watching Crazy Ex Girlfriend (which I thought by name and marketing campaign would be awfultastic) and Unreal.

Honestly Tarantino is as usual being a douche with that comment.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    the bachelorette premieres on the 25th and ohhhhhhhhhhhhh my god these boys

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's a boring name.

It does make sense though because apparently the whole thing is essentially one big road trip with a different country each week.

On the other hand I am disappointed that they weren't allowed to use Gear Knobs

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well now I am curious about these fantasy league of the boys in the Bachelorette
    Are they full of analytical discussions or?

It's a boring name.

It does make sense though because apparently the whole thing is essentially one big road trip with a different country each week.

So they decided to take the best part of Top Gear and just make the entire show that? Good call.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's a boring name.

So they decided to take the best part of Top Gear and just make the entire show that? Good call.

Remains to be seen if they can stick the landing, but that's the pitch I've heard.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.