As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOVIE] Who Ya Got?

19495969798100»

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    My problem with the new Ghostbusters and why I'm waiting for accurate reviews (say from someone who was skeptical going in but got won over) before seeing it is because the marketing has been really bad. The trailers have done nothing to sell me on it.

Then again, Spy's trailer did nothing to sell me on it and that movie was really good, so I'm hoping Ghostbusters 2016 can pull it off but I'm not spending money on it without some assurances.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Batman
    He doesn't have to review it but by releasing a statement that he's refusing he is drawing attention to the fact he isn't going to review it.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    If Rolfe took that stand on all Hollywood remakes that's be better.

But then again that's like 80 percent of their output currently.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    well, I made it through half of that "won't review Ghostbusters" video until I got to his reason for refusing, and it's super dumb

the problem is, it has the same name as the original, which he claims is it "trying to sweep the original under the rug as if it didn't happen" and will just confuse people because now when you look at IMDB there's "Ghostbusters (1984)" and "Ghostbusters (2016)"

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Look

Dates are hard

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    In hindsight they really should have treated this as a sequel/spin off set in the same universe as the first two.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Oh man. Even if I don't think the movie looks all that great. How amazing would it have been if they had called it

The REAL Ghostbusters?

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Superbat
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    well, I made it through half of that "won't review Ghostbusters" video until I got to his reason for refusing, and it's super dumb

the problem is, it has the same name as the original, which he claims is it "trying to sweep the original under the rug as if it didn't happen" and will just confuse people because now when you look at IMDB there's "Ghostbusters (1984)" and "Ghostbusters (2016)"

Sounds like the kind of reasoning you get when you start at "I don't like this" and try to work backwards from there to justify it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mansuper
    Thats stupid

that said I do sort of hate when reboots use the exact same name

not that much though

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    edited May 2016
    I have a lot of annoyances towards franchise titling. But Ghostbusters is not even close to the most egregious.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Manbat
    Any minute now he'll declare that he's not going to play the new Doom for the same reason.

Superbat
    Thats stupid

that said I do sort of hate when reboots use the exact same name

not that much though

Yeah, like, it's a valid thing to complain about. But not as a basis for boycotting a movie or refusing to review it or whatever, it's nowhere near that BIG of an issue.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Probably got burned out trying to understand Battlestar Galactica, or Point Break, or Doom, or any other number of properties that have done the exact same thing.

forumsig.png
    Mansuper
    My beloved mortal kombat is the worst

the ninth game is called Mortal Kombat

the tenth is Mortal Kombat X

X, the letter

Not X, the roman numeral

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Superbat

X, the letter

Not X, the roman numeral

Um, I believe it's pronounced "Mortal Kombat Cross"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Mansuper

X, the letter

Not X, the roman numeral

No, its X

There are multiple interviews with Ed Boon where people call it Ten and he's like "no no, please, X"

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Superlarlarbatman
    Did you think a franchise that takes every opportunity to replace every hard C with a K would fail to use the letter X instead of its Roman numeral?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    If Rolfe took that stand on all Hollywood remakes that's be better.

But then again that's like 80 percent of their output currently.

the man is just taking a principled stand against our sequel and reboot culture

they don't make true originals like bride of frankenstein and star trek v anymore

bugss2.jpg
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Shoulda called it Mortal Kombat Ekks.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    One of my pedantic things on the radio show is to only ever refer to sequels as their numbers. I'll throw in the subtitle, but otherwise I'll always add the number. Thor 2- Dark World or whatever.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Superbat

X, the letter

Not X, the roman numeral

No, its X

There are multiple interviews with Ed Boon where people call it Ten and he's like "no no, please, X"

(I was doing a joke)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Mansuper
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Did you think a franchise that takes every opportunity to replace every hard C with a K would fail to use the letter X instead of its Roman numeral?

oh if any franchise was gonna do it it should be this one

its still very dumb (mostly in a good way)

Superbat
    Gustav wrote: »
    One of my pedantic things on the radio show is to only ever refer to sequels as their numbers. I'll throw in the subtitle, but otherwise I'll always add the number. Thor 2- Dark World or whatever.

That's not a bad thing--after all, there's nothing to indicate the order of the Captain America films since they don't have numbers. I like that they don't have numbers because the movies work fine either as stand-alone films or as part of a larger canon that includes non Cap-focused movies, but if you want to watch the Captain America movies, it's good to know the order. Be weird to watch Civil War and then Winter Soldier.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Superman
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I do wonder how many people are just earnestly against a new version of Ghostbusters, because I'm sure there are those people

I'm trying to imagine the response to a version of this movie that stars Bill Hader, Jason Sudeikis, Will Forte, and Tim Meadows, and I suspect it would be less negative!

But I don't understand people being way way way into Ghostbusters in general, it seems like a singular inexplicable cult phenomenon

It was a massive hit, it's got a number of beloved comedians, and it has a bunch of technobabble and cool costumes. It's not really that inexplicable that people would gravitate to it the way they have.

I mean, it's a pretty good movie anyways, which helps

This discussion has been closed.