As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DOOM

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I'm going to make the controversial statement and say

I really liked Doom 3

it's a good action horror game.

However the new Doom is clearly the game they should have made and though I have not played it, I can tell I'll like it better than Doom 3.

Just shit loads of monsters coming at me whilst I make it rain with a chaingun.
    I liked Doom 3.

I had some pretty cool speakers for my computer at the time.

I was playing a night, in the dark, with the sound cranked waaaay up. I was creeping along, as you do in that game, and my center channel fell off my monitor and landed on my keyboard.

I almost shit myself.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    It would be cool if they somehow made it a playable mode after you beat the game. Nostalgia mode with original graphics and controls.

They should do the original levels just with the new graphics and engine. That would be a blast.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if this has a new game+?

Or some hacks? I would love to go through this again with everything unlocked and not have to bother with exploration on a harder difficulty.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Double post

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    It has console commands

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That gif on the first page with the action figure 100% sold me on the game.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think this game does as good a job characterizing Doomguy as Wolfenstein did BJ Blazkowicz

And they did it while still keeping Doomguy silent

He does not care about anyone's shit, at all, in the slightest

Rip

and

tear

6F32U1X.png
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Huh, I knew it had a console but for whatever reason didn't think to look up any commands. Apparently most of the old cheats are console commands

There's also one that makes enemies only be killed by glory kills.

I cannot believe how good this game is

This is a classic-id quality game from a version of id without any of those classic people

6F32U1X.png
    keep in mind it disables achievements on that save

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2016
    IDDQD and IDKFA do anything?

Yes I still remember those from heart.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    IDDQD and IDKFA do anything?

Yes I still remember those from heart.

I don't know if the cheats work, but there ARE achivements named after those

6F32U1X.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Which game was it where IDDQD insta killed you?

Heretic or Spear of Destiny?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Man, I haven't played a Doom game in forever. I think the last one I played was on the SNES and I rented it from a grocery store.

May pick this one up when it goes on sale, just to have another steam game that I'll never actually get around to downloading, let alone playing.

Idspispopd and idnoclip don't work sadly.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Question about the campaign (I've only watched the early minutes of this)
    Does the game keep up the running gag of Doom Marine actively shunning Mysterious Guy Who Is In Constant Radio Contact With You? Because that joke was amazing.
    Yes, but they also drop the ball on it quite a few times where you're just stuck waiting for exposition. Being able to skip them via Doomguy tantrums would have been appreciated.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Here is a thing about the music

https://youtu.be/ua-f0ypVbPA

I would not listen to this music outside the game, but when you're in it it's SO GOOD

6F32U1X.png
    So, sequel speculation
    I'm guessing Dr. Hayden sends you to Hell at the end, as a means of keeping you far away. Following that, and given his Mars facility is wrecked/everyone is dead, I imagine he'll take his operation back to Earth and shit will go wrong again, causing an Earth invasion and Doomguy will either return via that, or Hayden summons him back as a last resort. Cue Hell on Earth.

If they're really bold, they could have bonus game/episode/dlc/expansion that chronicles Doomguys exploits and escape from Hell inbetween the two games; call it "Thy Flesh Consumed" or something to the like.

Stuff I'd like to see in a sequel.
    -Two-fer glory kills: Like, if you have two guys staggered, you can slam their heads into each other
    -Brass Knuckles: If you're back on earth, it'd be neat to find some brass knuckles as an homage to the original. Maybe they give different glory kill opportunities?
    -Coop: Self explanatory. Imagine if there were multi-person glory kills.
    -Arachnotrons: Now that the Spider Mastermind has come and gone, lets see these little bastards.
    -Arch-Viles: By far the most devious enemy in Doom II. I'm not sure how you make them 100% as big as fuckers as that without having corpses to ressurect. Maybe he pops demons out of staggered states? You could just make him a summoner I guess, but we already have the Summoners. Unless you wanted to make him a boss one of those.
    -As mentioned, an ability to Doomguy your way out of exposition and cutscenes. (By being a big asshole and breaking something).

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this has a new game+?

Or some hacks? I would love to go through this again with everything unlocked and not have to bother with exploration on a harder difficulty.

You can replay missions from the menu and you keep all your weapons and upgrades.

Does this have the kind of secrets where I should be pressing X on every inch of every wall

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Does this have the kind of secrets where I should be pressing X on every inch of every wall

as far as I've seen no

• nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I just picked this up from Redbox. I'm really excited to give it a shot. The enthusiasm for this game on the Bombcast was infectious.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Hayden's chest and abdomen are in the shape of the baphomet head from end of doom 2, so aside from him being satan ( s hayden ) they could send u to earth in next gam and u fight him at the end. full on doom2 recap

obF2Wuw.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Here is a thing about the music

https://youtu.be/ua-f0ypVbPA

Fuck that is brutal. Going to go find the soundtrack and draw lots of skulls.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    This game seems to be everything David Jaffe wishes he could do

6F32U1X.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Oh I didn't know there were threesome minigames in Doom

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Remember Drawn to Death

Was that quietly canceled or something

Remember Drawn to Death

Was that quietly canceled or something

Has a 2016 release window. I imagine we'll see more at E3.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried to play multiplayer on Xbone?

I can't seem to find anyone to play with.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    True story.

I have been unable to replay the original Doom and Doom 2.

Doom I just had the usual shareware copy of back in the 90's, but I did pick up a full copy of Doom 2 from a friend when it came out. I played that intensely for hours a day for what must have been a couple of weeks. Playing it and working my way through levels, needing to redo most of the later ones several times over, was very compelling to me, but was unknowingly stressful as well. Some time after I had finished the last level, and had re-done it several times over for entertainment, I decided to give a go at replaying the whole thing.

I didn't even get through the first level. I just...couldn't play it. Not again. I wanted to, but I I couldn't make myself do it for more than a couple of minutes. Playing it as I did had stressed me out too much. Ever since then, any attempt to play a variant of Doom has failed.

There have been a few other games over the years that have produced a similar result.

man I am bad at finding these secrets

6F32U1X.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    It would be cool if they somehow made it a playable mode after you beat the game. Nostalgia mode with original graphics and controls.

I've got some good news for you
    You can find original Doom levels hidden in every level and once found, they unlock the entire original level to play from the main menu

And they're really hard

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    OK.. Now I might buy it. I've got $50 in my psn wallet.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    man I am bad at finding these secrets

me too. luckily the upgrades are largely unimportant. the base guns are good enough to handle everything anyway.

edited May 2016
    I'm like less than ten minutes into this game and I'm already stuck

Where the hell is the blue keycard

Oh okay, I didn't realize that body was hiding on the other side of that crate

UnbreakableVow on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    My favourite thing is kicking a corpse off a glory kill into a fireball

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Perfect thread title

Also GOTY (so far)

Nah, this game isn't doing anything at all for me

Ah well, only lost $15 on it

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    This fucking game fucking rules.

Holy fucking shit.

I'm about halfway through, and loving absolutely every second of it.

Fuck. FUCK. I'm so fucking happy about this game.

8406wWN.png