As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I love geoguessr but I can't play it because I get addicted and stay up all night roaming through Siberian villages.

Though if you do it in real life they give you weird names like Tikhaya smert' and nazoylivoye dum

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Bird fact: chickadees are cute.

5eca5815138aa0c6556702562077b220.jpg

Bird nest fact: so are their nests.

Chickadeenest_zpsyrguzkab.jpg

This one was built in a box on a nesting trail I monitor. It's a giant pile of moss with fur sprinkled on top. It was built in less than a week, since I had checked one week and the box was empty, and the next, there it was. This was taken a couple weeks ago. Last weekend when I looked there was a chickadee sitting in the middle of it, no doubt brooding some eggs. Couldn't actually see the eggs, since she (I'm guessing she) hunkered the heck down and glared at the giant monster that disturbed her instead of flying away. I shut the box again and left her alone.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Would something like that cause her to abandon the nest?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I love geoguessr but I can't play it because I get addicted and stay up all night roaming through Siberian villages.

Though if you do it in real life they give you weird names like Tikhaya smert' and nazoylivoye dum

i am actually super surprised at how close I got on some of these maps

trying to differentiate south american countries via posted signage will always fuck me up though

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Israel was once upon a time going to be in Uganda, in a place that is not actually Uganda, but is Kenya in the present day.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Zoel wrote: »
    Israel was once upon a time going to be in Uganda, in a place that is not actually Uganda, but is Kenya in the present day.

Im not sure if that would have been better or worse than where it is now

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

Same but northern Norway, for some reason that game loves dropping me there.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys

Probably not. When I shut the box and I stepped away and back but still close enough that I could see if she flew away, waited a couple minutes, and she didn't. Chickadees are not shy little creatures. They are not going to be permanently scared off by such mere things as a giant monster.

From the literature I've read, the one time that checking the boxes might cause problems is after the eggs have hatched and the nestlings are a couple weeks old, checking then might make them leave the nest prematurely, before they're fully fledged. Other than that, they do mention that some species will keep sitting on their eggs when the boxes are open and checked, and the important thing is not to try to pick them up because they might break some eggs fighting back. It seems mean to do that anyway.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Far from shy, I would describe the local chickadees as pugnacious and rude

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Interesting fact: Insects look really cool close up.

microsculpture.net/

honovere on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    @Butler For Life #1 and @BugBoy really need to see that.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    That is cool as heeeeeeeck

I hope the exhibit travels, because I want to see it!

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I was really impressed when I saw those photos, but seeing how they're taken was something else.

Exhibitng them next to the actual specimens is a really cool idea and I'd love to see it for myself!

An exhibit like this is going to create future entomologists for sure

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Mayabird wrote: »

Probably not. When I shut the box and I stepped away and back but still close enough that I could see if she flew away, waited a couple minutes, and she didn't. Chickadees are not shy little creatures. They are not going to be permanently scared off by such mere things as a giant monster.

From the literature I've read, the one time that checking the boxes might cause problems is after the eggs have hatched and the nestlings are a couple weeks old, checking then might make them leave the nest prematurely, before they're fully fledged. Other than that, they do mention that some species will keep sitting on their eggs when the boxes are open and checked, and the important thing is not to try to pick them up because they might break some eggs fighting back. It seems mean to do that anyway.

According to the vets at the local wildlife shelter I volunteer at, which is run as part of our local humane society, almost every single song bird will have no problem return to a disturbed nest unless it's destroyed. Even moving the physical nest or replacing it with an artificial nest, and going as far as handling the chicks/eggs, would generally not be a problem.

This is, of course, not true across all songbirds, but for the majority you'll see in America it should be true.

Fun fact: Canada Goose doesn't care who's chick it is, they'll raise it as their own. When we get Canada Goose chicks we just take it to the location it was found and just let it go and step back and a mother goose will claim the chick. If we don't know where it was found we'll just go to one of the local marshes and a new mother will appear for the chick, all pissed off that we're bothering her chick.

Veevee on
    Checked again and the nest is still active. Brooding chickadee hunkered down again and waited for me to leave.

Probably thinks it scared off a giant monster twice. Best parent ever.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

you should see what they blogged about you

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

you should see what they blogged about you

actually, I believe they just tweeted

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    groooooaaaaaaan

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Now a great example of the Wikipeida trap is
    Codename Steam
    I really wanted to know why was Fox female and named Fox not Zorro a Really bizarre case of do you really have it in the idea of can you really how onto a name and the rights of something from the early 1900's
    Or Calafia I really had never heard of her or the books she came from before and well it's an interesting read
    Or how Oz is really a very complex story with far more to it than you think

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    TRUE BIRD FACT

Grandma names also make perfect chicken names!

Doris:
    JWMLDWe.png

Mabel:
    MoDXARK.png

Beatrice:
    M1ObdNGl.jpg

broken image link
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    How about Betsy, Eleanor, Mabel, and Martha?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)

Betsy:
    Gxby54Ll.png

Eleanor:
    5Qji3Xml.jpg

Mabel:
    Already up there, sitting on puppies.

Martha:
    Google search is dominated by pictures of Martha Stewart and her recipes for cooked chicken, so you'll have to use you imagination for this one. Good chicken name though!

broken image link
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    hey! Mabel only sometimes sits on puppies!
    12391766_10153298359562475_6072041431237129537_n.jpg?oh=89bcb20c8f69d8c28d78474f34dcf356&oe=57D28109

... oh wait, different Mabel.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

you want a photo of Eleanor?

iarssf82mszy.jpg

Well, ok....I guess I did used to call her a chicken

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    What-Hand-Wedding-Ring-Best-Wedding-Ideas-And-Inspiration.jpg

Why do we give gifts during courtship, and what makes a good gift? In 2005, University College London mathematicians Peter D. Sozou and Robert M. Seymour modeled the question with a game. The male begins by offering one of three gifts — valuable, extravagant, or cheap — depending on how attractive he finds the female. After he offers the gift, she decides whether to accept it and mate with him. Afterward, he decides whether to stay with her or seek another partner.

Each is trying to judge the intentions of the other. She must decide whether he wants a serious relationship or only a brief encounter, and he must decide whether she’s really attracted to him or only wants the gift.

According to the courtship game, the most successful strategy for the male is to offer an “extravagant” gift that’s costly to him but intrinsically worthless to the female. This tells the female that he has resources and values her highly, but it protects him from coy fortune-hunters.

“By being costly to the male, the gift acts as a credible signal of his intentions or quality,” write Sozou and Seymour. “At the same time, its lack of intrinsic value to the female serves to deter a ‘gold-digger’, who has no intention of mating with the male, from accepting the gift. In this way, an economically inefficient gift enables mutually suitable partners to be matched.”

(Peter D. Sozou and Robert M. Seymour, “Costly But Worthless Gifts Facilitate Courtship,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B 272, 1877–1884, July 26, 2005.)

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My brother's girlfriend named her chickens Kiev, Goujon and Nugget

My brother's girlfriend named her chickens Kiev, Goujon and Nugget

I see the rule works in reverse, too.

broken image link
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

you want a photo of Eleanor?

iarssf82mszy.jpg

Well, ok....I guess I did used to call her a chicken

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    An interesting thing I heard about the other day
    The Great Smog of 1952 or Big Smoke was a severe air-pollution event that affected London during December 1952. A period of cold weather, combined with an anticyclone and windless conditions, collected airborne pollutants mostly from the use of coal to form a thick layer of smog over the city. It lasted from Friday 5 December to Tuesday 9 December 1952, and then dispersed quickly after a change of weather.

Although it caused major disruption due to the effect on visibility, and even penetrated indoor areas, it was not thought to be a significant event at the time, with London having experienced many smog events in the past, so-called "pea soupers". Government medical reports in the following weeks estimated that up until 8 December 4,000 people had died prematurely and 100,000 more were made ill because of the smog's effects on the human respiratory tract. More recent research suggests that the total number of fatalities was considerably greater, at about 12,000.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @DaMoonRulz i am sorry but my pop culture is failing me and i have no idea what that gif is?

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's weird to read about huge pollution events which were just not seen as a big deal at the time

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    An interesting thing I heard about the other day
    The Great Smog of 1952 or Big Smoke was a severe air-pollution event that affected London during December 1952. A period of cold weather, combined with an anticyclone and windless conditions, collected airborne pollutants mostly from the use of coal to form a thick layer of smog over the city. It lasted from Friday 5 December to Tuesday 9 December 1952, and then dispersed quickly after a change of weather.

Although it caused major disruption due to the effect on visibility, and even penetrated indoor areas, it was not thought to be a significant event at the time, with London having experienced many smog events in the past, so-called "pea soupers". Government medical reports in the following weeks estimated that up until 8 December 4,000 people had died prematurely and 100,000 more were made ill because of the smog's effects on the human respiratory tract. More recent research suggests that the total number of fatalities was considerably greater, at about 12,000.

There was a show in BBC called The Supersizers Eat...
    For 6 shows they ate the food and lived the life of someone from that era the six being the Wartime of WW2, Restoration period in the 17th century, Victorians in the late 19th century, Britons living in the 1970s, the Regency period of 1789 - 1821 and the Elizabethan era

This is the one from the 50's
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5KSx3WmHQQ
    It does talk about how bad the smog was in London during that era and what they did fix it

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I love that show.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    What-Hand-Wedding-Ring-Best-Wedding-Ideas-And-Inspiration.jpg

Why do we give gifts during courtship, and what makes a good gift? In 2005, University College London mathematicians Peter D. Sozou and Robert M. Seymour modeled the question with a game. The male begins by offering one of three gifts — valuable, extravagant, or cheap — depending on how attractive he finds the female. After he offers the gift, she decides whether to accept it and mate with him. Afterward, he decides whether to stay with her or seek another partner.

Each is trying to judge the intentions of the other. She must decide whether he wants a serious relationship or only a brief encounter, and he must decide whether she’s really attracted to him or only wants the gift.

According to the courtship game, the most successful strategy for the male is to offer an “extravagant” gift that’s costly to him but intrinsically worthless to the female. This tells the female that he has resources and values her highly, but it protects him from coy fortune-hunters.

“By being costly to the male, the gift acts as a credible signal of his intentions or quality,” write Sozou and Seymour. “At the same time, its lack of intrinsic value to the female serves to deter a ‘gold-digger’, who has no intention of mating with the male, from accepting the gift. In this way, an economically inefficient gift enables mutually suitable partners to be matched.”

(Peter D. Sozou and Robert M. Seymour, “Costly But Worthless Gifts Facilitate Courtship,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B 272, 1877–1884, July 26, 2005.)

So, this is interesting but it seems quite flawed. All participants know they're playing a game. One which does not have the consequence of marriage--happy or no--at the end.

And of course it ignores all of the aspects of a relationship that exist outside of the gifting process. None of these people know each other. Things like life plans, positions on cultural issues, and personality compatibility are void.

It does seem to scratch the surface of the courtship gift though. From what I understand the practice of giving engagement rings is a modern marketing development that has its roots in the centuries-old practice of men (or their families) literally buying women. And of course you can interpret the ring in many ways. Perhaps this ring indicates that the buyer is very wealthy and thus thinks little of the expense. Perhaps the converse is true: the buyer thinks so highly of the recipient that they sacrificed a great deal to purchase it. Ultimately the ring itself is of little practical value. It cannot assist either person in any job or task. It looks nice, and in a pinch could be sold for some monetary value, but the real worth of the ring is in what it symbolizes.

tl;dr Engagement rings are rather odd things any way you slice it.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's weird to read about huge pollution events which were just not seen as a big deal at the time

It's because the past was insanely terrifying and any sort of weather better than "paratroopers" got shrugged at

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    My Dad made a bug hotel:

mYOASmS.jpg?1

MLhFAth.jpg?1

o8Mt48r.jpg?1

Gnqtf24.jpg?1

jwsBehn.jpg?1

Bee occupancy already quite high.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Why

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Why

Bees are great for home gardens.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Why

Insects are SUPER important, man. If bees die, we die. And bees ain't doing so well...

This discussion has been closed.