As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Network upgrade questions

ZythonZython Registered User regular
Ok, so I have a Steam Link, and I like it, but it stutters on occasion. The Steam Link itself is connected directly to my router, but my PC is connected wirelessly. Specifically, with this card. I'm considering getting a pair of Powerline adapters to get a wired connection. However, I'm also using this router, which is pretty old. My question is this: would I get better streaming performance by upgrading my router, getting the adapters, or should I do both? Thanks.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
Steam: pazython

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Since you're streaming on a local network which connects through your router over Ethernet, the router isn't going to be responsible for much; the router's built-in switch is the part that's responsible trafficking data around and not actually the router itself, and that is a low-level, cheap process. Powerlines are probably going to much more noticeable, especially if you're currently connecting through older wifi tech prone to bandwidth and interference issues.

Still doesn't hurt to look into a new router/AP if you use wifi a lot, though.

Zxerol on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    The only issue I see is that that router only has 100mbps ethernet on it. Powerline is probably 200mbps, which means you won't get the full impact.

If you want a new router, I suggest this http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-Wireless-1300Mbps/dp/B00BUSDVBQ

steam_sig.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    a quick google shows that steam in home streaming by default caps at 30mbit speeds, so even 100mbit on the router will be fine.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    haha well silly me! Ignore me.

I mean... unless you want a new router. 8-)

steam_sig.png
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    wunderbar wrote: »
    a quick google shows that steam in home streaming by default caps at 30mbit speeds, so even 100mbit on the router will be fine.

Huh. So neither would do anything for my streaming performance?

Edit: Or would the powerlines still provide added stability?

Zython on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Always go wired when you have the option. Particularly if you're gaming. While the theoretical max bandwidth of any current wireless is higher than any single application, you're always going to have to deal with signal interference other devices, and walls, and it having to resend packets because of collisions and stuff.
    I'm personally also skeptical of powerline ethernet. I know for a lot of people it works just fine, and if you're in a situation where you can't just run an ethernet cable, it might be your only option, but you're at the mercy of the quality of the wiring in your house.

steam_sig.png

Always go wired when you have the option. Particularly if you're gaming. While the theoretical max bandwidth of any current wireless is higher than any single application, you're always going to have to deal with signal interference other devices, and walls, and it having to resend packets because of collisions and stuff.
    I'm personally also skeptical of powerline ethernet. I know for a lot of people it works just fine, and if you're in a situation where you can't just run an ethernet cable, it might be your only option, but you're at the mercy of the quality of the wiring in your house.

Well, I live in an apartment, so I don't have a whole lot of options available.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Just pick up a 100-150 foot spool of Ethernet and run it under the carpet around the edges of your rooms. You can get it dirt cheap off newegg.

Its a billion times less headache than dealing with wireless.

I've been there and done that, trust me its worth it.

Doenst power only work if your input and output are on the same breaker? I'm totally ignorant on power line networking, but I know the Ethernet option will be cheaper than it.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Usually powerline will only work if you're on the same breaker box. But it's only the main breaker that is the limiting factor, so houses with additions can run into problems, but apartments almost never will.

Note the almost. As mentioned above, the quality of your wiring plays a fair role. I use powerline in clients' homes all the time when they don't want to run Ethernet, and it works great. I'm also using it at home to extend my network downstairs and I'm only losing around 10% bandwidth, which is far better than I was doing with just the router.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I live in an apartment too. I just run it along the edge of the wall, behind desks and stuff.

steam_sig.png

I live in an apartment too. I just run it along the edge of the wall, behind desks and stuff.

The issue is really that to route it from my office to my media center, I would have to route it through/by the hall closet, which could be awkward. I don't know, I'm not too thrilled about running an Ethernet cable for that much length. At that point, I could just directly plug my PC in to my TV with an HDMI cable of equal length. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that I don't think it's for me.

I'm going to try out the powerline. Worst case is that it doesn't work well and I just return it to Amazon.