As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ark: Survival Evolved] Current PA Server Closing 6/6, Long Live the New Server

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Good news! I went back to the cave and the beetle was just sitting there waiting for me, got him out fine!

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Just got this yesterday so Joining the server to learn a bit.

50433.png?1708759015
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Just got this yesterday so Joining the server to learn a bit.

If you have any questions just let us know. We are just about 3 weeks away from new server!

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited May 2016
    Patch notes for this week:
    Upcoming Version: v241, ETA: May 17
    - Added The Center Official ARK Mod/Map as Free DLC
    - Added new 100-player 'The Center' Official Servers
    - Improved Non-TrueSky Sky & Lighting (+ SM4/Mac/Linux)
    - Significant server PhysX & Networking optimization
    - Added option for PvE Servers to disable building around critical resource node regions
    - You can now pickup and toss Dodos & Dung Beetles. Rejoice!
    - Fixed the huge stall/lock when you "Transfer" a bunch of items at once
    - Arthropluera "Turret" AI mode option: won't move and will only used ranged attack against targets.
    - Added server option to override per-Item Crafting costs
    - Added server option to override the loot tables for each kind of supply crate
    - Added server option to limit number of members in Tribes. Default: no limit.
    - Warmap now dynamically shows the mini-map texture of whatever level you're playing on (even with Mod maps :)
    [MORE NOTES TO COME]

Some interesting changes. Hopefully the 'Official' version of The Center also works with the small memory footprint build they are promising for this week as well.

Soon I can reinstall the server with updated stuff before anyone is settled.

MuddBudd on
    Picking up Dung Beetles seems super handy for getting them out of the caves after taming them!

How much do I want shark bodyguards if I decide to go swimming to the underwater caves?

I had another fun adventure.
    I decided to tame a Direbear while my wolf cub was growing.
    It charged me, I ran away, shot it in the face with more tranq darts, it turned and ran, I chased it, shooting more tranqs at it..
    Then I had one of those fun rubber band moments..
    Suddenly found myself INSIDE the dire bears model.. and it ate me.
    And then my body clipped into water, I assume below the terrain level, and all my gear was lost forever.

Every time I get a wolf, bad things happen.

If you are going to one of the underground caves you want to be at least riding one of those sharks. Or something anyway. Stuff spawns down there you need to be able to kill it or outswim it.

SutibunRi wrote: »
    Picking up Dung Beetles seems super handy for getting them out of the caves after taming them!

How much do I want shark bodyguards if I decide to go swimming to the underwater caves?

I had another fun adventure.
    I decided to tame a Direbear while my wolf cub was growing.
    It charged me, I ran away, shot it in the face with more tranq darts, it turned and ran, I chased it, shooting more tranqs at it..
    Then I had one of those fun rubber band moments..
    Suddenly found myself INSIDE the dire bears model.. and it ate me.
    And then my body clipped into water, I assume below the terrain level, and all my gear was lost forever.

Every time I get a wolf, bad things happen.

You own a quetz now don't you?

Stand on the quest, shoot the bear from above. Wait.

edited May 2016
    Ruins are coming to official, along with survivor notes, whatever those do.

RZ3wnFf.jpg?1

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/357286532029519592/

I wonder if they tweaked any of the ruins with The Official Center map. Also wondering if the areas around the obelisks got prettied up a bit (they are a bit bland)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU7ydI1N1No

-edit-

Hmmm, I have an idea.

MuddBudd on
    So, whoever's got control of the server..
    Do not let the it update until they get a hotfix out, it breaks fliers, their saddles/platforms dissapear and you can't access their inventory.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/357286532032345918/

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    241.1 seems to fix those issues, but if it was set to auto-update or something, it's been suggested to roll back server saves to before said patch took effect.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    edited May 2016
    Huh, well this is a thing.
    The Center has a difficulty of 5 compared to The Island which is a max difficulty of 4, and a max dino level of 150 vs. 120.

Do we want dinos at 150 or should I set it to 4 so we're at the traditional cap?

-edit-

Additionally, if you downloaded the old center mod, you should manually remove it. Instructions here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/357286663669685743/

MuddBudd on
    Is the server down? or do I have to wait for it to get a 241 patch before I can get back in thanks to auto updates?
    I can't find it in the browser.. and more fun, nothing I uploaded is showing up in single player, I wanted to explore the Center a bit.

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I'd be fine with them spawning at 150

steam_sig.png
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Is the server down? or do I have to wait for it to get a 241 patch before I can get back in thanks to auto updates?
    I can't find it in the browser.. and more fun, nothing I uploaded is showing up in single player, I wanted to explore the Center a bit.

I wasn't seeing it earlier either but it looks like there's another tiny update out now and when I checked after that it popped up.

steam_sig.png
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Server is updated and back up.

PierceNeck wrote: »

Anyone else? I like the idea of stronger dinos but the concept of having to start up the Spino breeding again is a bit daunting.

Man I knew I'd get burned on that.

MuddBudd wrote: »

Anyone else? I like the idea of stronger dinos but the concept of having to start up the Spino breeding again is a bit daunting.

I'd actually prefer if we start out at normal, and then if we feel the need after we get settled, bump it up to 150.

Kalnaur wrote: »

I'd actually prefer if we start out at normal, and then if we feel the need after we get settled, bump it up to 150.

I like this idea.

Let's say if they bump the official island up to 150, I'll do it then.

Plus it would suck for everyone to be suddenly outclassed on their max dinos while trying rebuild.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    ...does this not work for anyone else? Because I just tried to go into singleplayer to build a quick storage room to store all my shit before the server move, and it returns me to main menu. Freaking hell, I need to store my stuff and walk the last of my guys to the obelisk!

Steam ID: Right here.
    You need to actually download The Center DLC off the DLC page to get it to load a single player game.
    I'm unsure what I need to do to actually get my ark uploads to be downloadable in single player though, my SP characters see nothing in the obelisks.

edited May 2016
    You need to actually download The Center DLC off the DLC page to get it to load a single player game.
    I'm unsure what I need to do to actually get my ark uploads to be downloadable in single player though, my SP characters see nothing in the obelisks.

I'm seeing this too, and not just in single player. Hmm...

Also all the dinos I parked in my Singleplayer Center map are gone, lovely.

-edit-

This might be the fix.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/357286663670325420/

Looks like the way the map is set up now transferring between different maps takes a bit of work, they don't work off the bat.

MuddBudd on

-edit-

This might be the fix.

Looks like the way the map is set up now transferring between different maps takes a bit of work, they don't work off the bat.

To be clear, if I've never even used "The Center" map I downloaded as a mod, would I still need to do this?

-edit-

This might be the fix.

To be clear, if I've never even used "The Center" map I downloaded as a mod, would I still need to do this?

Yes. If I understand it correctly, you now have TWO Obelisk inventories. The Island, and The Center.

They did this because they gave The Center difficulty 5 (I assume this is why, anyway)

So that fix is literally copying your 'The Island' inventory and renaming it so The Center obelisks can see it. You don't need to do it until you are ready to move in two weeks or so.

Then I also assume that any time you load new things into the Island inventory, you need to "update" the Center Obelisk inventory if all your stuff is already saved in "The Island" single player.

Then I also assume that any time you load new things into the Island inventory, you need to "update" the Center Obelisk inventory if all your stuff is already saved in "The Island" single player.

Yes. If you end up moving stuff between the two maps more than once, you'll have to keep shutting down the game and copying stuff. Better to do it all at once.

If you have stuff stored outside the obelisk in The Island Singleplayer, You may want to move it to The Center singleplayer.

Yes. If you end up moving stuff between the two maps more than once, you'll have to keep shutting down the game and copying stuff. Better to do it all at once.

If you have stuff stored outside the obelisk in The Island Singleplayer, You may want to move it to The Center singleplayer.

I have about 7 safes worth (so around 1050 individual stacks of items) and I'm not even done moving everything (I have about 3 more cabinets of things, and 3 fridges full of food items of various types). So that would take a while. I'll have to see if I have the time to do that, basically. I had stockpiled a lot of stuff.

Found a dev post on it.
    The Center - Uploads and Downloads
    This will effect PLAYER-DEDICATED SERVERS, NOT OFFICIAL SERVERS
    An issue was recently brought to my attention regarding the ability to upload and download data via Obelisks on The Center. Unfortunately due to a change we made with how save-data works, you wouldn't have been able to download data from The Island. This was an oversight on our part.
    What we are going to do is revert that change and unify the systems for the next patch - however this means that any data you upload right now on THE CENTER (not The Island) will be lost. So if you plan to play The Center, keep your characters and your dinos - do not upload them as they will be lost!
    To make this easier to understand:
    Right now it's:
    The Island -> The Island or The Center -> The Center
    We are going to change it so that it's:
    The Island + The Center -> The Island + The Center
    but this means any data currently stored in the obelisks on The Center will be lost!

So being only on "The Island", I'm right as rain.

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    So the stuff/dinos I've already uploaded to the ob are safe? Not from SP, but from the server.

And I thought we could only have 100 individual stacks of stuff uploaded. Not 1000?

steam_sig.png
    So being only on "The Island", I'm right as rain.

Yeah sounds like the solution here is to wait until they fix it.

• GashikGashik Office Communist Registered User regular
    Hmm, good to know. I was going to start moving the stuff I stashed in singelplayer over to The Center, but now I'll just wait.

• azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Presumably you could just keep renaming a single save file too (i.e. mystuff1, mystuff2, mystuff3) then just rename them one at a time for transfers vs moving shit back and forth to single player vaults

e: when's the new server open for xfers? I need to log in and move a few more walls and such (I just converted all of my stockpiles into metal and greenhouse structures, to hell with actually moving that much raw material) before uploading my guy

azhais on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to remind people I have stockpiled all the freebies across the island, a few items including BPs from deep sea chests, and even fireworks and beer for an end of server party, since my place is right across the water from Red Ob. It would basically be a raft ride over to upload ourselves. I just want to know when/if we want to have a server wide get-together.

Exploring The Center on foot, with a level 1 character does not work so well.
    But I did find a small piece of what appears to be a ruin in the side of a cliff.
    I want to remind people I have stockpiled all the freebies across the island, a few items including BPs from deep sea chests, and even fireworks and beer for an end of server party, since my place is right across the water from Red Ob. It would basically be a raft ride over to upload ourselves. I just want to know when/if we want to have a server wide get-together.

Fireworks and Beer? This can only end in tears... I'm in!

Exploring The Center on foot, with a level 1 character does not work so well.
    But I did find a small piece of what appears to be a ruin in the side of a cliff.

Fireworks and Beer? This can only end in tears... I'm in!

I also encourage naked drunken fistfights while under the influence, though it probably shouldn't be to the death since not everyone is in the same tribe.

edited May 2016
    To give you a rough timeline...

May 27th: I'll start a new thread with details on the new server/season so people know what to do ahead of time.
    May 28th - June 4th: I am on vacation and won't really be playing, but will try to check in on the thread once or twice a day to answer any questions.
    June 5th: The new server will open and you can transfer yourself over. This will also be the start of the first event, which will be explained in the new ARK thread.
    June 6th: The old server dies.

I would suggest having everything ready to go, including uploading your survivor, by the end of the 5th.

MuddBudd on
    All these Center patches and fixes. I love seeing this all done before we switch.
    Current Version: v241.4
    Note: As of v241.4, we have set all Official PvE servers to have 25% Auto-Claim duration, for faster unclaiming/demolishing of abandoned bases, and 50% Replenish Prevention Radius for Resources, to help resources replenish faster and more reliably on PvE.
    * Fixed Dino PvE Auto-Claim time multiplier to use a separate commandline value (?PvEDinoDecayPeriodMultiplier=1.0) rather than the Structure Auto-Claim time multiplier.
    v241.3
    * Fixed ocean spawners continually overflow spawning on TheCenter
    * Fixed case where you could improperly use Vault drops
    * All Official PvE servers now have 0.25 structure decay time and 0.5 structure resource blocking radius multiplier
    v241.2
    * Fixed various TheCenter structure placement, teleport, collision issues, dino difficulty curve, and dino spawns
    * TheCenter clients now work properly on Mac
    * Fixed general case where you could place structures within world geometry
    * Generated shadow distance field data for the rest of TheCenter world geometry meshes (sorry for the large one-time update!!)
    * Saved some RAM on non-ShaderModel5 platforms by discarding unneeded distance field data
    * Reduced Wild Compy HP and Damage by 50%

To give you a rough timeline...

May 27th: I'll start a new thread with details on the new server/season so people know what to do ahead of time.
    May 28th - June 4th: I am on vacation and won't really be playing, but will try to check in on the thread once or twice a day to answer any questions.
    June 5th: The new server will open and you can transfer yourself over. This will also be the start of the first event, which will be explained in the new ARK thread.
    June 6th: The old server dies.

I would suggest having everything ready to go, including uploading your survivor, by the end of the 5th.

Then I suppose if we're going to get together to celebrate the end of the world, the 5th is when we should do it. That's a Sunday.

I'd love it if some of the old players signed in to hang out too, like @Mudzgut, @WIckedkarma, and such.

I found a few nice places on The Center, didn't go for any of the big Ruins, just little ones.

One Had:
    A Pond full of Beavers just outside.
    A large hole leading into a cave*
    Sweet Arches.
    Metal rock spawn just up some stairs.
    Close to some large ruins.

The Other:
    Nice large raised flat outside area. only reachable via base or fliers.
    View of the beach.
    No Friendly Beavers.
    Sweet Arches.
    Much closer to Blue Obelisk.

*About 5 feet into the hole it auto-dismounts you from your flier** and then you get to fall to your death and get devoured by dozens of snakes and spiders and centipedes.
    **And you can't mount fliers in the cave to get them out.

The server will allow flying in caves. You kind of have to or you'd never get out of some of them.