As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the Dawning of the Age of [X-Men: Apocalypse]

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Didn't they already do the Phoenix stuff in the third movie?

Not really.

Jean had like a dark more powerful side that made her lose control and was called "The Phoenix" but it isn't at all like the phoenix so presumably they are planning on taking another shot at it.

it was implied to be the phoenix force, but x3 was such an incomplete movie that it barely counts

Eh.

It was implied to be just a dark and powerful part of Jean and not an outside force. That's a very "early 00's" way of dealing with weird comics stuff so

Quire.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I would say they should continue the current trend and do an X-Men vs. X-Men movie, but that's pretty much every X-Men movie anyway.

Although

A movie version of the Massachusetts Academy (probably replacing Frost as headmaster with Mystique) could be really rad

A New Mutants vs. Hellions movie, essentially

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I would say they should continue the current trend and do an X-Men vs. X-Men movie, but that's pretty much every X-Men movie anyway.

Although

A movie version of the Massachusetts Academy (probably replacing Frost as headmaster with Mystique) could be really rad

The school setting in general would make for a cool movie. Superhero academy is a novel idea for a movie, and an underutilized part of the X-Men setting in the films.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Although

The school setting in general would make for a cool movie. Superhero academy is a novel idea for a movie, and an underutilized part of the X-Men setting in the films.

Yeah, I'd really love to see more of the actual school

I'm hoping the New Mutants movie that they've already planned will do something towards that

But I've always been into the school aesthetic of the X-Men, and I think it's something that gets ignored a lot (both by the movies and the comics, depending on when you're talking)

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think some version of The Morlocks and the Mutant Massacre would be really good for a 90s X-Men film

Really lean into the counter culture grunge bullshit of the era

The Morlocks and the Mutant Massacre sounds like a counter culture bullshit band or something from the 90s

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    90s movie should be Morlocks/Mutant Massacre, and bring Colossus back in from the fringes/Deadpool, as Magik is introduced in New Mutants. This leading up to Inferno as the 00s movie with Sinister as the big bad. That would also be the best time to bring in X-23 as she'd be around 20 by that point. Stinger for the 90s movie could be a 10 year old girl popping claws.

I have some pretty serious doubts about the movies being able to pull off Inferno.

Like, I love the idea in principle, but Inferno has a bunch of magic bullshit, and I worry a lot about superhero movies bringing in the magic bullshit of their source material.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Oh and in the grand tradition of misusing names of unrelated or barely related comic story arcs (I'm looking at you, Age of Ultron) they should subtitle it Fall of the Mutants, although that's really the story they're telling in the current movie (X-Factor's part of it, anyway)

Also if a 90s X-Men Morlocks movie doesn't include Storm shanking Callisto in a no-powers knife fight to save Kitty's life, I'm demanding a refund.

I have some pretty serious doubts about the movies being able to pull off Inferno.

Like, I love the idea in principle, but Inferno has a bunch of magic bullshit, and I worry a lot about superhero movies bringing in the magic bullshit of their source material.

Well, Magik is being introduced in New Mutants one way or another, so some form of magic bullshit is coming.

I think the bigger barrier to Inferno would be Madelyne Pryor actually.

Now I'm going to spend the next few days trying to figure out a way to combine Dark Phoenix and Inferno. You could probably have Sinister stand in for Mastermind in manipulating Jean, and get some good story beats for each without going full Space or Sorcery

Fearghaill wrote: »

Well, Magik is being introduced in New Mutants one way or another, so some form of magic bullshit is coming.

I mean, Limbo is just a pocket dimension, and if they wanted to, they could cut out all of the magic that she learns there and just have her defeat Belasco with regular old swordsmanship.

I think having her be a sorceress is rad, but there are definitely ways to work around it if they want to. I certainly hope they don't though, as magic is a pretty important part of pretty much the best New Mutants storyline, and I would love to see that adapted.

Fearghaill wrote: »
    I think the bigger barrier to Inferno would be Madelyne Pryor actually.

Now I'm going to spend the next few days trying to figure out a way to combine Dark Phoenix and Inferno. You could probably have Sinister stand in for Mastermind in manipulating Jean, and get some good story beats for each without going full Space or Sorcery

Yeah, in order to get to Madelyne Pryor you need to establish:

- Mister Sinister, and his obsession with the Summers/Grey family. As well as his generalized scientific prowess, but that's easy.
    - The Phoenix Force, and Jean Grey as the Phoenix.
    - The death of Jean Grey.

I think if you did a Mutant Massacre movie with Sinister as the puppeteer antagonist (as he was), you could have him become fascinated by Jean's potential during that movie. Tease some of his cloning abilities with clones of various morlocks or of dead X-Men for the final showdown.

Then you'd have to do a Phoenix Saga movie, in which Jean gains the Phoenix and subsequently flares out and dies.

And then you'd be able to introduce Madelyne Pryor in the next movie, but I worry launching straight to Inferno might be a bit too much if you don't want to start with her as a villain.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    So, which X-men movies do I watch? I only ever watched the original.

I'd watch those movies.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think some version of The Morlocks and the Mutant Massacre would be really good for a 90s X-Men film

Really lean into the counter culture grunge bullshit of the era

The Morlocks and the Mutant Massacre sounds like a counter culture bullshit band or something from the 90s

Morlock
    and
    The Mutant, Massacre

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    There's potenial for really long plans in these X-men movies.

Have a mister sinister tease here in apocalypse

Then two movies and 2 decades later...

First Class and Days of Future Past, I'd say

Days of Future Past is probably going to be the most essential, although if you haven't seen a bunch of other X-Movies it's gonna be kind of weird

Essentially, there was the Original X-Men Trilogy, X-Men, X2, and The Last Stand, the first two of which are still fairly well regarded. The Last Stand, however, was pretty widely hated, and killed off (most notably) Jean Grey.

Then there was the reboot series. It's a soft reboot, starting in the historical 1960s, as Xavier and Magneto get involved in the Cuban Missile Crisis. This is First Class.

Meanwhile, Wolverine got a solo movie, The Wolverine, dealing with the events of The Last Stand, in which he killed Jean Grey.

Days of Future Past was both a sequel to First Class and The Wolverine. In the future timeline in which all of the original trilogy took place, things have gone very, very wrong, and Wolverine is sent back in time to the 1970s to try to stop it, essentially. This turns the soft reboot into even more of a reboot, as changing history has some significant shockwave effects, so Apocalypse is (sort of) treading new ground for the series.

I think that pretty much covers it.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

X2, The Wolverine, First Class and Days of Future Past are all pretty good to varying degrees

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

Days of Future Past is probably going to be the most essential, although if you haven't seen a bunch of other X-Movies it's gonna be kind of weird

Essentially, there was the Original X-Men Trilogy, X-Men, X2, and The Last Stand, the first two of which are still fairly well regarded. The Last Stand, however, was pretty widely hated, and killed off (most notably) Jean Grey.

Then there was the reboot series. It's a soft reboot, starting in the historical 1960s, as Xavier and Magneto get involved in the Cuban Missile Crisis. This is First Class.

Meanwhile, Wolverine got a solo movie, The Wolverine, dealing with the events of The Last Stand, in which he killed Jean Grey.

Days of Future Past was both a sequel to First Class and The Wolverine. In the future timeline in which all of the original trilogy took place, things have gone very, very wrong, and Wolverine is sent back in time to the 1970s to try to stop it, essentially. This turns the soft reboot into even more of a reboot, as changing history has some significant shockwave effects, so Apocalypse is (sort of) treading new ground for the series.

You didn't mention X-Man Origins: Wolverine

I think you could also use Madelyne Pryor as a replacement for the Phoenix bait and switch - instead of Jean "dying" in the spaceship crash and being replaced by Phoenix, Sinister could replace Jean with a clone he had created, and the Dark Phoenix bit would be that clone's psyche breaking down, do a combination Dark Phoenix/Goblin Queen. The Inferno aspect could be a result of Sinister meddling with stuff from Limbo because his cloning process couldn't replicate Jean's mutant powers, so he powered his clone by other means.

You didn't mention X-Man Origins: Wolverine

Correct.

I like the casual Cyclops burn in both this statement and that movie.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I originally included Cyclops' death in that, because I love Scott.

But the movie didn't really kill him off, it just kind of moved the camera away at a dramatic moment. And honestly, listing everyone that that dumb movie killed off would have been a lot of work.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Watch the unrated cut of The Wolverine imho

But the movie didn't really kill him off, it just kind of moved the camera away at a dramatic moment. And honestly, listing everyone that that dumb movie killed off would have been a lot of work.

I'm no big Cyclops fan, but the way that movie handled him was awful. It was the most half-assed write-off, like showing up to work one morning and someone's already threw out all your stuff and deactivated your account.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Doing the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Saga seems like an obvious choice for a multi-film arc, and I'd love to see it if it's done well. I have mixed feelings on potentially bringing in all the space stuff.

But there are definitely other things they could do. I'd love to see Mr. Sinister. Ooh, they could lead from the Apocalypse thread and do something with Stryfe and the Legacy Virus.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I'm no big Cyclops fan, but the way that movie handled him was awful. It was the most half-assed write-off, like showing up to work one morning and someone's already threw out all your stuff and deactivated your account.

marsden picked his side

he knew what was comin to him

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Everything about X3 was handled poorly

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    To be fair to the writers, I have heard that they had to fight to even get him in the movie as much as he was, because supposedly execs at Fox didn't want him in it at all after he went with Singer to do Superman Returns.

Every time someone brings up something related to Brett Ratner I can only think of the AV Club's stock photo of him that Sean O'Neal always used for news articles:

http://www.avclub.com/article/brett-ratner-is-the-latest-director-rumored-to-dir-84457

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Ok thanks all
    I put First Class on my wishlist

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

I dunno about everything.

Kelsey Grammar as Hank was excellent casting.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I was really excited for that movie because of that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    until days of future past, all the x-men movies, even the last stand were pretty bad movies with cool scenes sprinkled about

like, the best magneto bit ever is in the last stand

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Also Ellen Page!

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Marathon wrote: »
    I'd prefer the Dark Phoenix saga as well. They would finally have a chance to do that iconic story right and even as a kid I couldn't give less of a shit about Mister Sinister.

If they actually develop the Phoenix to be the actual villain of an upcoming film, hell yeah.

I mean, it's Dark Phoenix.

She needs her own movie, not to play second fiddle to some other super villain.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular

The fact that he went through all the makeup again for a 3 second scene in DoFP is incredible.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

The fact that he went through all the makeup again for a 3 second scene in DoFP is incredible.

And he flew out from the set of whatever Transformers movie he was in to do it in secret and then fly back the same day or something crazy like that.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    is-wolverine-s-new-solo-movie-set-in-the-age-of-apocalypse-548928.jpg

this is what I was hoping the movie would be

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Well

It's not X-Men: Age of Apocalypse

CYpGAPn.png