As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Previews O' Plenty

• HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Basically, instead of allowing the Ultimate Universe to grow to the point where it becomes as complex as the regular universe and creates a kind of Earth-1 / Earth-2 situation, you could use the Ultimate imprint as a vehicle for literally any re-imagining of classic characters that a writer and artist can come up with, completely free of the constraints of continuity (unlike even the What If?s which usually followed continuity up until a point). These could last an issue, months, or even years depending upon how long it takes to tell a story and how long someone is willing to commit.

It's exactly like what DC does with Elseworlds, except on a monthly schedule.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why mess up a proven success? Nothing stops Marvel doing this, but why would they do it with Ultimates when it is already successful as is?

What you want is multiple issue What Ifs. What if... Superman landed in Russia? If Marvel do more of that I'd be thrilled, but there is room for both that AND the Ultimate line, they aren't mutually exclusive.

Ultimate Universe = ongoing, rebooted versions of classic characters for a new audience. Elseworlds = What If style miniseries. Same basic concept, entirely different purposes.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »
    If it were going to end, I'd rather each of the titles get happy endings with epilogues showing what happens to Peter/the mutants/the Ultimates in the years to come than watch everything go off in a universe-wide bang.

Also, I liked this a bit.
    If this is the case, then maybe my theory is correct- revamp the Ultimate Universe so therefore every time a new writer comes on board, they can create their own versions of certain characters. Spider-Man would be exempt, at least until Bendis leaves (on the day of the 12th of Never)
    It's only a matter of time before the Ultimate Universe becomes mired in its own continuity just like the 616 universe, thereby defeating part of its own reason for existing.

This idea, however, is perfectly sustainable and will never be subject to that fault.

The thing is, do you think serious readers (the ones who read for a long enough time to be able to deal with more than a year of continuity) are going to bother getting into the 2nd or 3rd Ultimate universes if it's all going to get wiped out and repeated every couple of years? Are we going to have to have origin stories for Spider-Man and all his villains every 5 years? Or will they skips origins and we'll just be getting wildly different versions of characters every now and then for no particular reason?

I don't think they can successfully run the Ultimate line on the basis of tons of new readers with a one-writer attention span.

All of this ground has more or less been covered by DC's Elseworlds line.

All the Elseworlds I've seen are basically one-shots, like Marvel's What Ifs. I don't really see a comparison to Ultimate, unless maybe the All Star books are taking place in the same universe.

You've never seen Kingdom Come or Red Son?
    Or Justice?

Yea, those are all short stories. They're not large universes spanning half a dozen different books, and going on for years at a time.

Unless I've somehow overlooked a Red Son series.

Scooter on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think I'd read an ongoing title that takes place in the Kingdom Come universe. In fact, I'd be really interested if DC did an Ultimate universe type thing. Being a newcomer to DC comics, it would be perfect for me, and it wouldn't be bogged down in the sometimes convoluted continuity of the main DC universe.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I could go for that too, I really dig the Ultimate books.

Of course, I could also continue reading DC books and just wiki something/ask Animal/post here if I feel like I'm missing a reference.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Comic Book Resources sat down with J. Michael Straczynski for a talk on The Twelve, Marvel's Golden-Age mini-series alternative to Avengers/Invaders. Had preview pages from the first three issues, a few along with the expanded first issue's cover posted below the link.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12252

TWELEVE001_cvr-06-tif.jpg
    Twelve-01-21.jpg
    Twelve-03-page-16.jpg
    TWELVE001005.jpg

Owenashi on
    edited November 2007
    Incidentally, if you bought the Marvel Previews book this month, there was a two page, fully lettered preview of The Twelve. That last colored page was one of them. Dude in the purple mask was narrating, and apparently he has no powers.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited November 2007
    This looks awesome. I'm always up for a look at forgotten characters.

And those costumes are outrageous.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    This looks awesome. I'm always up for a look at forgotten characters.

And those costumes are outrageous.

Yep, I think it'll be pretty good in an Annihilation-kind of way. As for who's who on the expanded cover..

The Black Widow - Spirit medium killed after cursing a family only to be brought back to life by the Devil to hook him up with the souls of evildoers. Sports mystical powers including a death-touch. Her secret identity was Claire Voyant. :)
    The Blue Blade - Horse-riding, blade-slinging musketeer who apparently enjoys a good breeze considering he only wears a musketeer cape, hat, gloves, boots and shorts.
    Captain Wonder - College professor turned patriotic anti-Axis hero with the strength of a dozen men thanks to a drug-spill. Had a sidekick called simply Tim.
    Dynamic Man - Android who's the closest thing to a Marvel-version of Superman when it comes to powers. After his creator died from the excitement of his birth, he decided to join the FBI under the guise of a human, fighting crime as an agent and a superhero.
    Electro - Super-robot capable of being summoned by either his creator or 11 other men his creator hired to help fight crime and evil. Called into action with special wireless phones given out to the operatives.
    Fiery Mask - Doctor turned pyro-based superhero thanks to a villain named the Zombie Master overloading a zombification ray on him. Called the closest thing to Green Lantern for Marvel.
    Laughing Mask - Tweaked-off District Attorney who decided to take the law into his own hands as well as a pair of .45s. Uses a glowing version of the smiling theatrical mask to hide his face though his eagerness to plug any criminal he goes after helps keeps the witness-count low too.
    Mastermind Excello - Spybuster/trenchcoat-type hero who's strong in mind and body thanks to his telepathy and super-strength. Uses an array of gadgets to keep things interesting such as a triple-propeller pistol and wall-scaling vacu-pads.
    Mister E - Rich (yet balding) sportsman who decides to fight crime with a typical caped-businessman suit, mask and fedora included. Could be seen as the elder-statesman of the twelve missing heroes due to how old he looks according to artwork for the mini-series.
    The Phantom Reporter - Hero with the same fashion sense as Mister E but with two separate civilian identities, a cub-reporter being one of them. Could be the Golden Age version of the Manhattan Guardian in that he probably uses his exploits as stories for the paper he works on.
    Rockman - Hulk/Namor-like hero who's civilian identity is being the leader of an underground civilization below the US. Has super-strength, super-endurance, and super-lack of air from not needing to breath.
    The Witness - Unusual hero with a sixth sense that alerts him to where and when crimes will take place before they happen but can only watch them occur and not act in any way to prevent them, no matter how bad it may b

Owenashi on
    edited November 2007
    I was wondering why two of them were wearing essentially the same costume.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Comic Book Resources sat down with J. Michael Straczynski for a talk on The Twelve, Marvel's Golden-Age mini-series alternative to Avengers/Invaders. Had preview pages from the first three issues, a few along with the expanded first issue's cover posted below the link.

How about he just gets Thor #4 out this year?

Crimsondude on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2007
    I'd be more than willing to bet that the Thor delay isn't his fault.

DJ Eebs on
    edited November 2007
    A fully-texted preview of NA: Illuminati #5 popped up on Wizard's site.

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/006249372.cfm
    newavnilu0051pt8.jpg
    newavnilu0053dk2.jpg
    newavnilu00545rq7.jpg
    newavnilu0056gd4.jpg
    newavnilu0058ks4.jpg
    newavnilu00510nr9.jpg

Owenashi on
  • lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That preview of NA 5 is glorious

lsukalel on
  • TankTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That looks awesome. I was unsure about this Illuminati stuff at first, but stuff like this really gets me excited over the series.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It looks like the Skrull thing will actually be written well, which is comforting.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2007
    Big thumbs up! Can't wait until it's all long over and I get to read about it in trade :lol:

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why is Namor asking if that body is Captain America's when he was fucking there when they buried him?

DarkPrimus on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Why is Namor asking if that body is Captain America's when he was fucking there when they buried him?

After all the shit Tony has pulled, I'd pretty much be asking "Did you dig up your best friend?"

The Muffin Man on
    edited November 2007

After all the shit Tony has pulled, I'd pretty much be asking "Did you dig up your best friend?"

Except that Namor was the one to help bury him at sea.

DarkPrimus on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is that supposed to mean Stark couldn't have exhumed the body, or what? You keep pointing that out as though it meant something beyond "they both know where the body is buried".

Nartwak on
    edited November 2007
    Nartwak wrote: »
    Is that supposed to mean Stark couldn't have exhumed the body, or what? You keep pointing that out as though it meant something beyond "they both know where the body is buried".

Because he was buried AT SEA with Namor IN THE FUCKING WATER, and NAMOR HIMSELF was like "As long as I'm alive, no one will disturb his rest" or whatever.

If Namor seriously thought that Stark had taken Cap's body out of the Arctic Ocean, he wouldn't be looking like that. He'd be already punching Tony's head off screaming "YOU TOOK CAPTAIN AMERICA'S BODY YOU FUCK".

DarkPrimus on
  • Rey Del AguilaRey Del Aguila __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Nartwak wrote: »

Because he was buried AT SEA with Namor IN THE FUCKING WATER, and NAMOR HIMSELF was like "As long as I'm alive, no one will disturb his rest" or whatever.

If Namor seriously thought that Stark had taken Cap's body out of the Arctic Ocean, he wouldn't be looking like that. He'd be already punching Tony's head off screaming "YOU TOOK CAPTAIN AMERICA'S BODY YOU FUCK".

You guys are awesome.

Rey Del Aguila on
    Because you know who SAID you know what with you know who, let's keep that between me and you.
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Stark already buried one LMD of Rogers. I think Namor is wisely not putting it past him to have buried another.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited November 2007
    Maybe Namor was confused about how the issue fit into continuity, and took a stab in the dark?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited November 2007
    wwtMask on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yay!

Crimsondude on
    edited November 2007
    Captain Marvel is so terrible. I hope he dies again soon.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But he's the most dynamic and sexy prison warden in comics!

Okay... mainstream comics.

august on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Captain Marvel is so terrible. I hope he dies again soon.
    I want him to stick around long enough to meet Teddy.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love the Aftersmash preview because the New Avengers are winning.
    "Hey wait, we're the fucking Avengers. Why is Thing 2, Red Bitch, Broody McNineties, and Mini Grey-Hulk winning?"

Then Ben raises his hand to make a point that he's not a New Avenger.
    He is promptly told to stop ruining Spidey's banter.

The Muffin Man on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So that Ultimates 3... I am saying no thank you right now. Maybe it will grow on me at some point in the future.

DouglasDanger on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    so when are we getting Thor 4? cause seriously that book has been awesome and I want more.

Also I'm not sure on Ultimates

smokmnky on
    edited November 2007
    The only problem with the art, off-center nipples aside, is that it's so far removed from the established Ultimates aesthetic. I myself don't have a problem with it so long as it suits the story.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    As long as it keeps a regular schedule and gets released as a trade in a decent amount of time I'm willing to forgive it a fair bit. That, and that the treatment of the characters fits the established ultimate versions more than the costume design does.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm only going to give it a chance if it... tells an interesting and compelling story?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Virral wrote: »
    As long as it keeps a regular schedule and gets released as a trade in a decent amount of time I'm willing to forgive it a fair bit. That, and that the treatment of the characters fits the established ultimate versions more than the costume design does.
    Well it looks like they aren't.

Thor is returning to his "Thee and Thou" speech although he never did it in the Ultimate Universe. There's a few more but I'm too lazy to look up the interview.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Virral wrote: »
    Well it looks like they aren't.

Thor is returning to his "Thee and Thou" speech although he never did it in the Ultimate Universe. There's a few more but I'm too lazy to look up the interview.

Actually, I remember reading a while back that the big focus of Ultimates 3 is all about action. Joe Mad is really good at drawing kinetic scenes and that's one of the big reasons he was chosen.

Regardless, I'm going to enjoy it a lot because Joe Mad is probably one of my favorite artists.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited November 2007
    Ultimate Black Panther looks fucking ripped. In fact, everyone looks huge.

wwtMask on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hawkeye's new look is retarded.

DouglasDanger on
This discussion has been closed.