As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's the [Trans thread]!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    it's somewhat gratifying seeing them be whiny pissbabies about trans folk having a safe place to piss

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    That's the same state that just voted to have performing abortion a three year felony, right?

What the hell is going on in that state

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    That's the same state that just voted to have performing abortion a three year felony, right?

What the hell is going on in that state

Oklahoma is disappointed that Mississippi is so good at being the best at being the worst.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if the federal government's going to be able to save itself the money of funding schools in the entire south and midwest soon.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    these re-election gimmicks are getting old

Xehalus on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Some folks in Spokane have come up with a tool to help trans people find "friendly" businesses in the city as well as "unfriendly" businesses or areas.

It's based on the personal experiences of trans people, and various bits of information are taken into consideration, such as staff attitude and whether or not a business has a single occupancy restroom.

It's still pretty new so there doesn't seem to be a whoLe lot of data and it's mostly focused on the downtown area at the moment.

Anyway, feel free to check it out

http://spokanetransmap.org/

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Getting that app spread around to other cities would be an outstanding tool.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    It's very similar to 'The Green Book' which told black travellers what was safe/friendly, and what wasn't, during the 40s-60s.

It's fucked up that something like that needs to exist again, but here we are.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Some folks in Spokane have come up with a tool to help trans people find "friendly" businesses in the city as well as "unfriendly" businesses or areas.

It's based on the personal experiences of trans people, and various bits of information are taken into consideration, such as staff attitude and whether or not a business has a single occupancy restroom.

It's still pretty new so there doesn't seem to be a whoLe lot of data and it's mostly focused on the downtown area at the moment.

My gut reaction to it is "that's great, but also seems like a treasure map for assholes that want to harass transgender people"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

My gut reaction to it is "that's great, but also seems like a treasure map for assholes that want to harass transgender people"

It could also be used as a treasure map for people that want to harass trans haters, if that's their thing. Not sure if that evens the scales, though.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Ironically, Oklahoma lawmakers are kind of right about it being a state of emergency. It's just that they're also the source of it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

It could also be used as a treasure map for people that want to harass trans haters, if that's their thing. Not sure if that evens the scales, though.

Hopefully people aren't going to go to that kind of effort.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Maybe don't put it on the Play Store/App Store, just have it be able to be side-loaded; this way it's another barrier for casual mis-usage to occur.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    On the OK legislature thing, note they are in full derp "Don't give a shit if this will get overturned" mode. Like they just passed a bill to make performing abortion illegal, full stop. No way that holds on appeal, they just give no fucks about little things like Rule of Law at this point.

Doesn't help any for the folks dealing with this shit though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

The main problem is you gotta be in friggin' Spokane.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Tube wrote: »

People who hate trans people have been known to monitor trans women, and go to the spaces where those trans people are for the sole intention of harassing those trans people.

There are always a notable number of anti-trans people who will put in that kind of effort.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Yesterday, the House considered HR 4794, which is basically a military appropriations bill.

Sean Patrick Maloney (D-NY-18) offered an amendment to the bill which was, "An amendment to prohibit the use of funds to be used in contravention of Executive Order no. 13672 of July 21, 2014 ("Further Amendments to Executive Order 11478, Equal Employment Opportunity in the Federal Government, and Executive Order 11246, Equal Employment Opportunity")." essentially the idea was that you couldn't give government contracts to companies who discriminated against members of the LGBT community.

It was defeated 213-212. With five Democrats not voting. Of note is that several republicans did vote for the amendment, but apparently some were then convinced to change it before the final tally.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-erupts-into-chaos-after-lgbt-protection-amendment-narrowly-fails/
    The House floor erupted Thursday into a tense, chaotic situation after an amendment to protect members of the LGBT community failed several seconds after it looked like it had enough votes to pass.

The amendment from Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney, D-New York, would have barred federal contracts to companies that discriminate against LGBT employees. It was an attempt to undo a provision inside a major defense bill the House passed a night earlier that would reverse President Obama's executive order extending anti-discrimination protections to federal contractors' LGBT employees. Democrats warned the provision will allow any federal contractor to discriminate against gay, lesbian and transgender people.

Maloney's amendment narrowly failed Thursday 212-213 after it looked like it was going to pass 217-206 a few seconds earlier. Republican leaders held open the vote and Democrats say Republicans twisted arms, pressuring members of their conference to switch their votes so that it would fail.
    After it failed, House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer, D-Maryland, appeared visibly angry and spoke on the floor, pointing out he never saw any Republicans come to the front of the chamber to change their votes.

"I was standing in the well and no one came and no one had the courage to come into the well to change their vote, but notwithstanding that, the vote kept changing. Mr. Speaker, from a parliamentary perspective, how is that possible?" Hoyer said.

According to an aide to Hoyer, Republicans kept the vote open so that lawmakers could change their vote from their seats without approaching the front of the chamber.

Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, was already at his weekly press conference when the chaos erupted. He told reporters he didn't know whether GOP leaders whipped against the proposal.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, slammed her GOP colleagues, saying, "House Republicans are so committed to discriminating against LGBT Americans, that they broke regular order to force their Members to reverse their votes and support Republicans' bigotry."

Democrats immediately lashed out at Republicans on social media and many compared their colleagues to Donald Trump, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee.

FINAL VOTE RESULTS FOR ROLL CALL 226 (Note: Republicans in roman; Democrats in italic; Independents underlined)

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    On the OK legislature thing, note they are in full derp "Don't give a shit if this will get overturned" mode. Like they just passed a bill to make performing abortion illegal, full stop. No way that holds on appeal, they just give no fucks about little things like Rule of Law at this point.

Doesn't help any for the folks dealing with this shit though.

Re: the anti-abortion bill,“The governor will withhold comment on that bill, as she does on most bills, until she and her staff have had a chance to review it.”

"Since taking office in 2011, Fallin has signed more than a dozen bills restricting access to reproductive health care, the Center for Reproductive Rights, a nonprofit legal group, said Thursday."

Which is probably the same response for the trans bill. And really, if you're not coming right out to say you'll Veto it, then odds are good you won't.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I love the nice feeling the moment someone "misgenders" you (actually getting it right, though they don't know it), and then the crushing feeling when they correct themselves.

Fuzzytadpole on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    That's the story of my first day out.

"What can I get for you ladies?"
    *looks at me*
    "Oops, sorry"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I got that when I was picking up estrogen

"Here you go miss!"
    "Oh, thanks!"
    "OH SORRY SIR"

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I know someone at my local pharmacy and they still have not gotten it why I'm getting all this estrogen

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    God, that has got to be the absolute worst feeling in the world :(

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    A buddy of mine is a cis man who is dating a trans woman

Sometimes he picks up her stuff from the pharmacy.

He says sometimes he gets weird looks from some of the staff because he's a pretty muscular dude with a beard, and when they talk to him they talk very gently.

He asked his girlfriend if he should correct them and she's like nope

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    sometimes theres the urge to uh, take the blue pill

lets take brazil for instance

their still uh, horrible and very fluid coup still happening

dilma had instituted a executive order saying trans people//transvesti could use social names legally

that shit got repealed BUT apparently you can be trans//transvesti and be a cop now. so like, you can be part of this ghoulish jackboot

anytime ive seen this onrush of sentiment within western governments i get real fuckin nervous.

"like, hey. we dont have legal protections for you. but! we're always on the lookout for people to dole out punishment for abusing the law"

each day it sorta seems like the world is ending. not in terms of scope but whew, its really dire when you can compare the negro motorist green book and trans friendly maps and the shit isnt actually in bad taste. and the world keeps going on around you like nothing is wrong! yeesh

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    My best friend is a pharmacist and he's had some random customers correct him when he's used the right pronoun for a trans customer. At this point he just gives them a level stare and continues to use the right pronoun just to make a point to them.

He just finds it really gross that people feel the need to force their way into his interactions with a customer because they can't keep their bigotry to themselves. I hate to think what the customer themselves feels though D:

Anzekay on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Anzekay wrote: »
    My best friend is a pharmacist and he's had some random customers correct him when he's used the right pronoun for a trans customer. At this point he just gives them a level stare and continues to use the right pronoun just to make a point to them.

He just finds it really gross that people feel the need to force their way into his interactions with a customer because they can't keep their bigotry to themselves. I hate to think what the customer themselves feels though D:

Probably relieved that their pharmacist isn't being a gatekeeping goose.

MKR on
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    I understand it's their job and customer service requires dealing with difficult people and their shitty opinions but I would have a very hard time not simply telling the customer to get the hell out of the store and quit being a shitty human being. Then again, there is a reason I don't work retail/customer service.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I got that when I was picking up estrogen

"Here you go miss!"
    "Oh, thanks!"
    "OH SORRY SIR"
    Look, maybe you were picking it up for your sweet trans grandmother that you were named after.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I understand it's their job and customer service requires dealing with difficult people and their shitty opinions but I would have a very hard time not simply telling the customer to get the hell out of the store and quit being a shitty human being. Then again, there is a reason I don't work retail/customer service.

He finds it difficult to justify to management if the person isn't being overtly loud and awful. If someone were to get loud and angry about it he'd kick them out, but just saying something and nothing more, even if it's offensive, doesn't quite cut it sadly.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Getting that app spread around to other cities would be an outstanding tool.
    here's something that popped up in response to the NC law, not very much listed outside the state though

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The Shepard's Chapel plays at work at 5am on TV
    This morning he railed against Men using Women's bathrooms, lockerooms and other places because he felt it was morally wrong
    He also alluded to the end times with how unsafe the cities were and people's attitudes toward sexuality
    Then read from the bible about Sodom and Gomorrah
    :rotate:

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

ugh televangelists

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    This really is the definition of a moral panic. An invented, media-driven and politically-motivated societal anxiety based on a fictitious or at best overblown social ill, resulting in reactionary laws, movements, and responses that actually hurt people.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

People who hate trans people have been known to monitor trans women, and go to the spaces where those trans people are for the sole intention of harassing those trans people.

There are always a notable number of anti-trans people who will put in that kind of effort.

It must be nice to have that kind of free time and energy.

If I had, I'd help out at the local primary school.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    This really is the definition of a moral panic. An invented, media-driven and politically-motivated societal anxiety based on a fictitious or at best overblown social ill, resulting in reactionary laws, movements, and responses that actually hurt people.

It's literally going to be a textbook example by the end of the decade.

This discussion has been closed.