As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Love] is love is love is love

OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floofRegistered User regular
edited June 2016 in Social Entropy++
640px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

For too long has the thread of love labored under the tyranny of the Britons. It's time for a new sort of love thread. One that stands for freedom and liberty and no more incomprehensible slang. It's time for...

love_american_style_650x300.jpg

Which as we all know means never ever ever doing it until you're married because otherwise you'll make the baby Jesus cry.

Anyway this is a thread to talk about your various dating escapades, or lack thereof, as is often the case. Or if you're trying to work up the nerve get out there and start looking for love, and want some support--we're good at that. Or if you've found true love and want to gush about it, that's cool too. You can also talk about your love of frozen treats, preferably strong American brands like Dove bars.

But wait, if this is the American Love Thread, why is the title a Rolling Stones lyric? They're a British band.
Oh, well, you see, uh they rock and nothing's more American than a hard rocking British band from the 60's. Claiming the good parts of other cultures is a classic American manoeuvre.

Don't Americans spell it "maneuver?"
Wait, what are you implying? I assure you, I'm as American as hamburgers and chips.

French fries
What's happening here? This isn't right. This isn't right at all...

640px-Grand_Union_Flag.svg.png

cdci44qazyo3.gif

OmnipotentBagel on

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Well, there is no greater love than one has for 'MURICA.

sig.gif
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    What the balls.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    hmmmm playing both sides I see

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »

Says the Canadian.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Baseball.
    Apple Pie.
    Mom.

steam_sig.png
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Hey now...

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Why is there never a Canadian love thread? Is this why I'm single?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Liiya wrote: »
    What the balls.

Just another jolly old British Thread, Liiya.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    don't love-kiss your sister please

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

canada is just a myth

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

You are included in the warm embrace of the Commonwealth Cello!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • CelloCello Registered User regular

Oh well in that case

Down with the American love thread!

For Queen and country!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »

This post reminded me that I downloaded bumble for fun, and I saw there was an option to show dudes in addition to ladies

Since setting up my profile two days ago I've been matched with 3 guys and no gals, I'm kind of hoping I can get a date with a dude from bumble before even getting a match with a lady

2x39jD4.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

there is no love in canada

only cold, hard elbows

Oh well in that case

Down with the American love thread!

For Queen and country!

I try and build a bridge and you insist on tearing it down? If this was the War thread I'd have quoted the earlier parts of the song.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    If Canada's not just a myth, I'll eat my toque.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I mean the OP can have as many stars and stripes as you want

it's still top bants all the way down in this thread my son

z5e1c3O.jpg

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

only cold, hard elbows

hawt

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Wait, I think I just figured one out!
    Does 'ledge' mean legend?

chromdom wrote: »

No it's a narrow horizontal surface. Harry's calling Ron a cliff face.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

No it's a narrow horizontal surface. Harry's calling Ron a cliff face.

People really want to climb it?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    it's slang for legerdemain, cos, y'know, he's a wizard and all

uc3ufTB.png
    Words my youthful classmates have taught me:

- peng
    - ting
    - wavy
    - dead
    - long

I'm down with the kids.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

only cold, hard elbows

This is why I'm hoping to spark a sultry international romance when I go on vacation in a month! That, and my heart is a cold dead stone these days, but who cares about something like that?

- peng
    - ting
    - wavy
    - dead
    - long

I'm down with the kids.

You probably should have known at least half of those already.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Bam, oida, bum zua, fix oida

- peng
    - ting
    - wavy
    - dead
    - long

I'm down with the kids.

I'm certain those are technically words

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So, tell me whats wrong with this as an introduction on an online dating site.

Hello <x>,

My name is <Y>, and I have enjoyed learning about you from your profile. I'm a __ year old SWM, originally from ____, but have lived here in ____ for ____ years. I think we have some things in common and I would like to talk with you and see what other interests we share. <insert a few things about points of interest that we share>. I work in the _____ field, have no children, and have never been married. I'm looking to start a friendship, and hopefully something more later on. Not looking for a FWB or purely physical encounter, but a potential LTR.

Hope to hear back from you,
    <Y>

Cause I'm having like zero luck getting responses, and while the above may be a little simplistic, I'm just trying to see if someone wants to return my interest before composing a multi page pamphlet. Can't see whats wrong with the approach..

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    PiptheFair wrote: »

- peng
    - ting
    - wavy
    - dead
    - long

I'm down with the kids.

SLANG.

azith28 wrote: »

Hello <x>,

My name is <Y>, and I have enjoyed learning about you from your profile. I'm a __ year old SWM, originally from ____, but have lived here in ____ for ____ years. I think we have some things in common and I would like to talk with you and see what other interests we share. <insert a few things about points of interest that we share>. I work in the _____ field, have no children, and have never been married. I'm looking to start a friendship, and hopefully something more later on. Not looking for a FWB or purely physical encounter, but a potential LTR.

<Y>

Cause I'm having like zero luck getting responses, and while the above may be a little simplistic, I'm just trying to see if someone wants to return my interest before composing a multi page pamphlet. Can't see whats wrong with the approach..

Because it sounds like a job application. Be more casual.

- peng
    - ting
    - wavy
    - dead
    - long

I'm down with the kids.

You should also recognize at least half of these as words!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

- peng
    - ting
    - wavy
    - dead
    - long

I'm down with the kids.

SLANG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYwCmcB0XMw

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Hello <x>,

<Y>

What's wrong is that you are capable of doing this

Rainfall wrote: »

Hello <x>,

<Y>

But not too casual, or you end up with something like "help hotass I let me get stepped on in a non-intimate way..."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    They probably think you are some sort of cold calculation device because didn't immediately ask them for sex.

steam_sig.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Also, what dating site is this? A lot of the style stuff can depend on where you're at

Rainfall wrote: »

Hello <x>,

<Y>

But not too casual, or you end up with something like "help hotass I let me get stepped on in a non-intimate way..."

Yeah more something like: "Hey, I'm Azith, how's it going? You are pretty and we share a bunch of interests, would you like to chat over coffee this weekend?"

A wall of text stating your history, occupation, and long term intentions feels distinctly unnatural and robotic. It's nice info to know, but people want to learn that organically.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Is it a form letter that you send out, copy/pasting it with only a few changes each time?

Because that's what it reads like, and it's not appealing.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
This discussion has been closed.