As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's the [Trans thread]!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    UM EXCUSE ME ACTUALLY A MORAL PANIC IS THESE "FEMINISTS" SAYING THEY WANT TO HAVE GIRLS IN VIDEO GAMES

liEt3nH.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    UM EXCUSE ME ACTUALLY A MORAL PANIC IS THESE "FEMINISTS" SAYING THEY WANT TO HAVE GIRLS IN VIDEO GAMES

disgusting

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We got Rumble Roses and that's nothing but chicks, so that makes it all equal, right?

BLM - ACAB
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Some folks in Spokane have come up with a tool to help trans people find "friendly" businesses in the city as well as "unfriendly" businesses or areas.

It's based on the personal experiences of trans people, and various bits of information are taken into consideration, such as staff attitude and whether or not a business has a single occupancy restroom.

It's still pretty new so there doesn't seem to be a whoLe lot of data and it's mostly focused on the downtown area at the moment.

Anyway, feel free to check it out

http://spokanetransmap.org/

My gut reaction to it is "that's great, but also seems like a treasure map for assholes that want to harass transgender people"

It could also be used as a treasure map for people that want to harass trans haters, if that's their thing. Not sure if that evens the scales, though.

Hopefully people aren't going to go to that kind of effort.

People who hate trans people have been known to monitor trans women, and go to the spaces where those trans people are for the sole intention of harassing those trans people.

There are always a notable number of anti-trans people who will put in that kind of effort.

It must be nice to have that kind of free time and energy.

If I had, I'd help out at the local primary school.

I doubt people who do that are allowed near children

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'm convinced that no small part of why female action figures don't sell is that shitty parents refuse to buy them for their kids.

e: holy shit autocorrect what the hell

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I'm convinced that no small part of why female action figures don't sell is that bitch parents refuse to buy them for their kids.

No in fact they dont sell because they dont exist. Its based on sata from like the 60s.

When given a choice kids will buy their favorite characters. rarely does gender play a role in that

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    the games industry has similar patterns

where they base more recent 'proof' off of sales data for games that are poorly marketed and/or supported by their publishing company

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm convinced that no small part of why female action figures don't sell is that bitch parents refuse to buy them for their kids.

No in fact they dont sell because they dont exist. Its based on sata from like the 60s.

When given a choice kids will buy their favorite characters. rarely does gender play a role in that

Yes but what will shitty parents buy?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I'm convinced that no small part of why female action figures don't sell is that shitty parents refuse to buy them for their kids.

e: holy shit autocorrect what the hell

I said this on twitter a year or so ago, but when I was, like, 10 years old I think? I was looking at a Toys R Us ad and they had a Baywatch Barbie that came with a dolphin.

And at the time, I was super into marine life (and dolphins, especially) and was convinced I wanted to be a marine biologist. So I asked my mom if I could have that for my birthday.

But she said, "Oh no, you wouldn't want that. That's a Barbie."

Child me at the time thought, "Who cares? She comes with a sweet dolphin!" but I didn't want to argue.

IKknkhU.gif
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I'm not trans, but I had this unfortunate period of my life where I looked like a guy. A teenager with short hair (parents controlled hairstyle at the time), flat chest, a low pitched voice and a very....masculine face. Apparently it was very convincing, since I had so many people calling me sir, I started just letting it slide.

I imagine my teenage self trying to use a bathroom in NC right now. It wouldn't be pretty. And I'm going to assume that there are other cis people as well like that.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    So hypothetical scenario, I'm wondering what the shake-out would be if a cis woman is attacked for being insufficiently 'feminine' by security guards in an NC bathroom, but she has a gun...?

• ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    So hypothetical scenario, I'm wondering what the shake-out would be if a cis woman is attacked for being insufficiently 'feminine' by security guards in an NC bathroom, but she has a gun...?
    Probably less conflict than you'd expect, the immediate spin would be that she should expect to comply with a "reasonable request" by security guards, with media emphasising that `if you don't want people to think you're a man, don't dress like a man' overriding the gun issue (whether used or threatened)

When in doubt, always assume right-of-way to the thing that exerts the most control over women's bodies.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    What if it wasn't security but a 'concerned citizen' assaulting a non-compliant woman who feels threatened and 'defends herself'? I've thought about that mostly because I don't know how it would go down between the gun rights/personal liberty conservatives who describe exactly that sort of scenario when arguing for open carry and the institutionally anti-trans/anti-woman bigots who claim they are actually rational and aren't prejudiced.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    What if it wasn't security but a 'concerned citizen' assaulting a non-compliant woman who feels threatened and 'defends herself'? I've thought about that mostly because I don't know how it would go down between the gun rights/personal liberty conservatives who describe exactly that sort of scenario when arguing for open carry and the institutionally anti-trans/anti-woman bigots who claim they are actually rational and aren't prejudiced.

Token condemnation of the aggressor with a lamentation that if women just acted like women and men just acted like men we wouldn't have these kinds of problems, just one more sign that our society is doomed that even the good people can't tell one another apart from the bad

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Token condemnation of the aggressor with a lamentation that if women just acted like women and men just acted like men we wouldn't have these kinds of problems, just one more sign that our society is doomed that even the good people can't tell one another apart from the bad

That's the thing, though. Almost every bad person was a good person until they made one errant decision. There is no telling the difference between good people and bad people because we're all good and we're all bad.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I can imagine some members of the media being tempted to misinterpret my critique of the meme here. They may point to this essay and say, “See, Julia Serano said it’s okay for cis actors to play trans characters.” So let me be explicitly clear: I am not saying that — in fact, I am saying quite the opposite. I am saying that, if the *only* time you ever consider hiring a trans person or including trans voices in you project is when you’ve created a transgender character, or decided to do a special transgender-themed episode or issue, then you are *not* promoting trans-inclusion. You are merely pigeonholing us.

https://medium.com/gender-2-0/expanding-trans-media-representation-why-transgender-actors-should-be-cast-in-cisgender-roles-f880cb7bb36e#.6kubwg8a0

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's a good point. If Hollywood gives trans roles to cis people, they should do the same for cis roles. Better yet, give roles to great trans actors and never have the fact that they're trans be an issue.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    It'd depend on where it happened. And how it happened.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    We got Rumble Roses and that's nothing but chicks, so that makes it all equal, right?

Gal Fighter on the Neo Geo Pocket as well but it has Iori in women's clothing
    miss-x-iori.jpg

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    It's a good point. If Hollywood gives trans roles to cis people, they should do the same for cis roles. Better yet, give roles to great trans actors and never have the fact that they're trans be an issue.

In The Danish Girl had a trans actress play a cis nurse, and didn't make it an issue.

I don't think, anyways; the only time I saw it was when I was digging deep into the production of the movie.

(This is intended as an interesting fact, not a Mission Accomplished)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I heard that the landlady in Holmes is played by a transwoman and it's never brought up.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I heard that the landlady in Holmes is played by a transwoman and it's never brought up.

I think you mean Elementary.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I thought the Ms. Hudson in Elementary is a trans character herself. Or at least it looks that way from wiki. and they made that role not actually the landlady it seems?

Psykoma on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    God damn it.

B.C. woman sought as suspect in arson fire at Montreal clinic

The suspect in setting off an incendiary device at the montreal gender confirmation surgery clinic is a trans woman.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    God damn it.

The suspect in setting off an incendiary device at the montreal gender confirmation surgery clinic is a trans woman.

That's secretly good news though, right? Isn't it better that trans-hate isn't the motivation?

Yeah, it could just be an aggrieved or disturbed patient. Still a horrible event, but the motivation is important.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    that... doesn't actually rule that out

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    God damn it.

That's secretly good news though, right? Isn't it better that trans-hate isn't the motivation?

"getting gender confirmation surgery doesn't fix anything and makes you crazy"

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    There are plenty of self-hating or gatekeeping trans people. Truscum, for example, are trans people who are horrific gatekeepers, whose ethos primarily revolve around telling anyone who isn't medically diagnosed with gender dysphoria and isn't actively seeking SRS that they are "transtrenders" and not really trans. They engage in complete erasure of non-binary people, and are hostile towards trans people who don't want to fit directly into a cisnormative narrative.

(I don't like truscum and have an axe to grind against them in case that is not obvious)

Every single minority group is potentially vulnerable to the "crab mentality" (also called "crabs in the bucket"). There will always be people within that group tearing down anyone else in that group and trying to prevent them from succeeding, pretty much because they themselves can't or won't succeed on their own.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    eeuughh
    god damnit

well, in decentish news for transdudes and people who want peens

Surgeons Perform First Successful Penis Transplant in the United States

paving the way for medical advancements!

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    eeuughh
    god damnit

That's good news all around

It's good for trans men, it's good for non-binary people with penile dysphoria, and it's good for cis men who have lost their penises due to injury or disease.

My dad knew a guy, a cis man, who had to have his penis removed because of cancer. It fucked him up, mentally and emotionally, because so much of cis masculinity is penis-oriented and sex-driven. A year after the removal, the depression and stress of how he felt as a cis man with no penis drove him to suicide.

• ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    eeuughh
    god damnit

That's good news all around

It's good for trans men, it's good for non-binary people with penile dysphoria, and it's good for cis men who have lost their penises due to injury or disease.

My dad knew a guy, a cis man, who had to have his penis removed because of cancer. It fucked him up, mentally and emotionally, because so much of cis masculinity is penis-oriented and sex-driven. A year after the removal, the depression and stress of how he felt as a cis man with no penis drove him to suicide.

Im sure having no penis was definitely impacting him emotionally. But im sitting here thinking, "Good god the blue balls that guy must have had." If he didnt like anal then he would have had no way to get himself off. That cant be good for you.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Hi trans thread. I'm having a super bad day today.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    hey, so am I

high five

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Too bad, we love you anyway.

Do you love us? Put a check in the appropriate box:

[ ]Yes

[ ]Lots

[ ]You don't even know

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

Finally, the genital exchange program can begin.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular

[ ]Yes

[ ]Lots

[X ]You don't even know

Today my mind is filled with Trans Feels(tm); that lovely mix of dysphoria, anxiety, depression, and frustration.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

[ ]Yes

[ ]Lots

[X ]You don't even know

Today my mind is filled with Trans Feels(tm); that lovely mix of dysphoria, anxiety, depression, and frustration.

I have no idea about the first, but the rest I am plenty familiar with.

Checking the basics: you got somewhere to sleep, something to eat?

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Catching up with old internet internet friends is weird

Like, oh hey, you're dealing with gender feelings now too? High five!

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Catching up with old internet internet friends is weird

Like, oh hey, you're dealing with gender feelings now too? High five!

I found an old fourm I used to go to and half the people were trans.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
This discussion has been closed.