As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Awesome. My mom got "voluntarily upgraded" overnight. Because tech support via text message is exactly what I want to do at work on a Friday morning. Who knew!?!?!!

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Aw jeez. Are people at risk of an automatic upgrade to 10 even if they have GWX control panel??

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    If they have automatically installing recommended updates turned on, yes, they are.

steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, I got upgraded the other night. I was pretty grumpy about. I sent them a sternly worded 1star review when they asked how my upgrade experience was.

I mean, the upgrade itself was fine. It's just I got the "Hey, wanna upgrade to Windows 10?" popup like I always do, closed it like I always do, played some Stellaris, then left to go catch up on Agents of Shield.
    When I got back it was in the middle of the upgrade.

steam_sig.png
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    A quick update on my whole Chrome irretrievabley fucking with my Win 10 install. I think I've narrowed it down, and I believe it was the extension uBlock Origin, which is odd, because it's such a widely used extension. But, even since I removed it, I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood).

How do I tell Win10 to stop telling me that they replaced my MSE with Windows Defender every time I log in?

steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Awesome. My mom got "voluntarily upgraded" overnight. Because tech support via text message is exactly what I want to do at work on a Friday morning. Who knew!?!?!!

As a side tip - If you have family members who like to use you as long distance tech support on a regular basis your life will become a thousand times easier once you install some form of remote access software onto their PCs.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Do you still have Live Essentials installed? As long as you're not using Live Mail, you can get rid of it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    And so we've "officially" begun W10 testing at work. This should be fun, considering we have some systems in our test labs (gas chromatographs and whatnot) still run by early Pentium machines. Who knows how long this rollout is going to take.

I'm still trying to get word if I'm due for a computer refresh this year, or not.

I just started tinkering with it as well at work. Built a basic group policy and updated our WSUS server to push out W10 updates. If it's anything like when we went to Win7 We'll get everything built up infrastructure and security wise (going to have to build a Group Policy that does a CIS hardening benchmark and I get the impression that there are even more unneeded junk that will need to be turned off) but our programmers will be their absolute slowest to test applications. I swear some of our users are more Windows saavy than our developers.

Need to build a new WinPE boot disk one of these days too. What sucks is that I've got to divide my time between this and dealing with security audits.

Yeah I'm not in the IT field at work, but since I'm an enthusiast at home, I know enough to be dangerous. I just worry about how long it's going to take and what stumbling blocks will show up.

I'm one of the guys in an office that shows people Excel shortcuts or how to remember network share folders. So I'm not looking forward to those kinds of questions.

like...do you know the difference between 32 and 64 bit? Then you've got a leg up on our developers. We still have a bunch of old 16 bit apps, and long before Win 7 64 bit was a thing, we warned them for years that 16 bit was eventually going to get cut off. We go to Win7 64 bit and they're shocked that they actually have to start migrating old legacy apps. The whining and complaining! Infrastructure is always pushing forward and we drag them kicking and screaming into the modern world.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    donavannj wrote: »
    If they have automatically installing recommended updates turned on, yes, they are.

They shouldn't be, one of the flags that GWX sets blocks upgrades from appearing in Windows Update.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

As a side tip - If you have family members who like to use you as long distance tech support on a regular basis your life will become a thousand times easier once you install some form of remote access software onto their PCs.

My mother's (surprisingly) happy with Windows 10, and still want to do this. Do you have a free or at least cheap alternative you recommend.

So according to Howtogeek's Twitter account, closing the Windows 10 upgrade box now *accepts* the update. So take that with a grain of salt; I can't substantiate it right now. Either way, WTF Microsoft?

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So according to Howtogeek's Twitter account, closing the Windows 10 upgrade box now *accepts* the update. So take that with a grain of salt; I can't substantiate it right now. Either way, WTF Microsoft?

Damn. I did that this morning and restarted my PC--so that didn't trigger it, unless it's waiting on countdown.

VoodooV wrote: »
    like...do you know the difference between 32 and 64 bit? Then you've got a leg up on our developers. We still have a bunch of old 16 bit apps, and long before Win 7 64 bit was a thing, we warned them for years that 16 bit was eventually going to get cut off. We go to Win7 64 bit and they're shocked that they actually have to start migrating old legacy apps. The whining and complaining! Infrastructure is always pushing forward and we drag them kicking and screaming into the modern world.

I don't even understand how it's possible to still be developing 16-bit applications unless they're working with some really specific embedded systems.
    Have they not updated their compilers in the last 2 decades?

steam_sig.png
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

My mother's (surprisingly) happy with Windows 10, and still want to do this. Do you have a free or at least cheap alternative you recommend.

I just use TeamViewer now. Having my parents read me a 9 digit number, and then another 4 digit number to temporarily get total access to the PC for this kind of thing is really handy.

Damn. I did that this morning and restarted my PC--so that didn't trigger it, unless it's waiting on countdown.

Here's a little bit more info:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3070460/windows-pcs/microsoft-makes-final-aggressive-windows-10-upgrade-push.html

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

I just use TeamViewer now. Having my parents read me a 9 digit number, and then another 4 digit number to temporarily get total access to the PC for this kind of thing is really handy.

second-d.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar

I don't even understand how it's possible to still be developing 16-bit applications unless they're working with some really specific embedded systems.

They're not developing them anymore. But our devs have a serious case of "build it and forget about it" There were at least one or two apps they genuinely didn't know users were still using. History is starting to repeat itself again. Almost all of our servers are 64 bit now, so I sent out an email letting them know this and that they can migrate to 64 bit whenever they want to in order to get ahead of the eventual day that 32 bit gets cut off. I'm sure nothing will happen and when that day does come, there will be much gnashing of the teeth.

In their defense, they are severely understaffed....but christ.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

They're not developing them anymore. But our devs have a serious case of "build it and forget about it" There were at least one or two apps they genuinely didn't know users were still using. History is starting to repeat itself again. Almost all of our servers are 64 bit now, so I sent out an email letting them know this and that they can migrate to 64 bit whenever they want to in order to get ahead of the eventual day that 32 bit gets cut off. I'm sure nothing will happen and when that day does come, there will be much gnashing of the teeth.

In their defense, they are severely understaffed....but christ.

Is 32 bit actually ever going to be cut off before the move to 128 bit?

edit: Thinking about it, it's going to be a bit of a mess in general, at least for Windows. We're probably not getting a win128, but winrt isn't cut out to fully replace it and probably never will be.

jothki on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Ugh I need to opt out of insider preview builds. Apparently the latest build removed my ability to disable Cortana and again changed several of my settings.

EH28YFo.jpg
    So it looks like Microsoft has recently changed the behavior of the windows 10 upgrade dialogue box. Recently as in within the past week.

Now, if you see the prompt and you hit the giant red X at the top right of the window.....that now apparently means "yes go ahead and upgrade"

Windows 10 is awesome, how Microsoft is doing this is not. It is f-ing infuriating.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    I saw that in the article Mugsley posted. That's good info to have, and explains why I've had so many clients lately get upgraded without approving it.

Yeah, that's exactly the thing that happened to me.

steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    How the hell is that even legal?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I got a panicked call from my parents this morning. Apparently it started the upgrade/install in the middle of my Dad watching the news through a website. He thought there was a virus/malware of some sort and turned off the power bar. The install resumed as soon as he powered it back on. It looks like I'm going to have to remotely talk them through a revert back to Windows 8.1. I really didn't need this, since I had everything set up to run with minimal input and the minimum of opportunities for my parents to mess something up.

From a computer security perspective, this is also horrible for teaching low knowledge users the types of software behaviour to be careful around. When the provider of the operating system has their program function in the same way as most malware/scareware it really destroys a lot of hard work spent on education.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The Windows Upgrade on our lone old pc at work can't go through because the pc's old intergrated video card has "not been made ready for Windows 10 by the manufacturer." Instead it's like "hey uh, here's some links to buy a new computer... ?" I almost feel bad for it.

august on
    august wrote: »
    The Windows Upgrade on our lone old pc at work can't go through because the pc's old intergrated video card has "not been made ready for Windows 10 by the manufacturer." Instead it's like "hey uh, here's some links to buy a new computer... ?" I almost feel bad for it.

At least it prevents it on that computer. We've had more than a few with devices that had no driver available, and no amount of forcing Win7/8.1/Vista drivers would fix the problem.

I was lucky, the only driver issue I had on two machines that I took from 7 to 10 was the switchable graphics driver on my laptop, so now if I want to switch between the ancient HD3470 and the godawful GMA 4500 I have to reboot and do it in BIOS.

As a result I just leave it on discrete all of the time because I would rather have the horsepower available at the expense of slightly reduced battery life.

Well, I pushed the "Upgrade" button last night. I told it to install this morning. Hopefully my house is still standing when I get home

I was lucky, the only driver issue I had on two machines that I took from 7 to 10 was the switchable graphics driver on my laptop, so now if I want to switch between the ancient HD3470 and the godawful GMA 4500 I have to reboot and do it in BIOS.

As a result I just leave it on discrete all of the time because I would rather have the horsepower available at the expense of slightly reduced battery life.

"horsepower" of the 3470 :rotate:

Well, I pushed the "Upgrade" button last night. I told it to install this morning. Hopefully my house is still standing when I get home

All your belongings are where you left them.

steam_sig.png
    wunderbar wrote: »

"horsepower" of the 3470 :rotate:

It's even worse considering it's the mobility version.

That should give you some idea at just how truly awful the GMA 4500MHD is.

But you won't be able to pick them up.

You no longer have permission.

Shadowfire wrote: »

But you won't be able to pick them up.

You no longer have permission.

Also several of your appliances have been destroyed because they are no longer functional in your new home.

So to elaborate on my earlier post - I do not understand how Microsoft's lastest push to make people upgrade to Windows 10 isn't flagrantly illegal under the CFAA.
    18 USC 1030:
    (a) Whoever—
    (2) intentionally accesses a computer without authorization or exceeds authorized access, and thereby obtains—
    (C) information from any protected computer;
    (5)
    (B) intentionally accesses a protected computer without authorization, and as a result of such conduct, recklessly causes damage; or
    (C) intentionally accesses a protected computer without authorization, and as a result of such conduct, causes damage and loss.

Basically, by clicking a button that should be (and by all indications is) a dismiss button and then taking that to mean installing new software, I don't see how it doesn't fit "without authorization or exceeds authorized access", at which point the law is pretty fucking broad ("protected computer" is basically "any computer" iirc). Since Windows 10 gathers more information than prior versions, that seems to satisfy one branch. If it causes anything to not work right at all, that satisfies another.

I do not understand how the hell legal signed off on that. You can't take a UI that 99% of the world thinks means "no" and say it means "yes". There isn't a judge in the world who'd buy that.

I mean, this is partly because the CFAA is really broad (I mean, look at 2C, which could presumably be satisfied just by getting a directory listing), but even so. I just don't get how abusing the OS permissions to then go that far doesn't cross a line legally.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So to elaborate on my earlier post - I do not understand how Microsoft's lastest push to make people upgrade to Windows 10 isn't flagrantly illegal under the CFAA.
    18 USC 1030:
    (a) Whoever—
    (2) intentionally accesses a computer without authorization or exceeds authorized access, and thereby obtains—
    (5)
    (B) intentionally accesses a protected computer without authorization, and as a result of such conduct, recklessly causes damage; or
    (C) intentionally accesses a protected computer without authorization, and as a result of such conduct, causes damage and loss.

Basically, by clicking a button that should be (and by all indications is) a dismiss button and then taking that to mean installing new software, I don't see how it doesn't fit "without authorization or exceeds authorized access", at which point the law is pretty fucking broad ("protected computer" is basically "any computer" iirc). Since Windows 10 gathers more information than prior versions, that seems to satisfy one branch. If it causes anything to not work right at all, that satisfies another.

I do not understand how the hell legal signed off on that. You can't take a UI that 99% of the world thinks means "no" and say it means "yes". There isn't a judge in the world who'd buy that.

I mean, this is partly because the CFAA is really broad (I mean, look at 2C, which could presumably be satisfied just by getting a directory listing), but even so. I just don't get how abusing the OS permissions to then go that far doesn't cross a line legally.

Even if Windows 10 installs itself automatically, you have to accept the new EULA that has the new data collection terms before the computer is usable. If you decline it automatically reverts the install.

As to the "without authorization" bit, you've authorized microsoft to update the computer by agreeing to the EULA in windows 7 which authorizes automatic updates and whatnot and has always had provisions for limiting their liability if the updates cause damage.

LD50 on
    Basically what will happen is that in 2018 a class action suit will be seen in court and anyone who installed Windows 10 and fills out a form to notify the court within a specified period of time will get a settlement check in late 2019 for $8.17 plus a code for 15% off a one time purchase on the Windows Store and the law firm who represented the class will receive four million dollars in payment.

LD50 wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    18 USC 1030:
    (a) Whoever—
    (5)

Even if Windows 10 installs itself automatically, you have to accept the new EULA that has the new data collection terms before the computer is usable. If you decline it automatically reverts the install.

As to the "without authorization" bit, you've authorized microsoft to update the computer by agreeing to the EULA in windows 7 which authorizes automatic updates and whatnot and has always had provisions for limiting their liability if the updates cause damage.

But in theory hitting the X is explicitly saying "no" to the upgrade. At that point doing the upgrade anyways exceeds what you've authorized. And they can't hide behind the EULA because you can turn updates off normally anyways.