As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Schismatic

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Schismatic

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    GuyveroZGuyveroZ Registered User new member
    It's true for that to be false it should be assumed that Tycho actually cares about what Gabe thinks. Now if Tycho said Ironman then you should ask did he say that because he agrees with Ironman or did he say that to troll Gabe.

• Options
    NemrexNemrex Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Nemrex on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    "That's completely understandable, and a great way to live. I respect the hell out of it." Definitely getting used in a "is he being sarcastic?" sense during one of my team meetings today.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    I really like the coloring and style on this one.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Gabe's panel 2 face

so great

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This is a good comic and I enjoyed reading it. With my eyes.

• Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    I don't think I'll ever fully understand the use or non-use of question marks in PA dialogue.

• Options
    captainzorcaptainzor Registered User new member
    the text looks so great on the color coded bubbles!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I don't think I'll ever fully understand the use or non-use of question marks in PA dialogue.
    It's to indicate the tone of voice. So for instance the way Gabe says it, it's more directly accusatory than interrogatory. There's no rising tone at the end, just flatness.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It's to indicate the tone of voice. So for instance the way Gabe says it, it's more directly accusatory than interrogatory. There's no rising tone at the end, just flatness.

yeah like if I'm texting someone and they just said something weird, replying "what." is different from replying "what?"

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Waiting for my brother to come pick me up and were gonna go see the movie. Super excited! Im not on anyone's side yet, though. In the comic, i feel like neither side was completely right or wrong.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DrZettDrZett Registered User regular
    #TeamBlackPanther

Those who do not understand their opponent's arguments do not understand their own.
  • Options
    lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Fantastic movie. The only gripe I had was the shakey cam in the first sequence. That was really hard to follow in 3D.

• Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Okay, that makes sense.

It was a great movie. I've seen it in 3D and 2D now, and the one less D was a way better experience.

Finnish_Line on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I think the real question is what is Tycho reading?

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular

Okay, that makes sense.

It was a great movie. I've seen it in 3D and 2D now, and the one less D was a way better experience.

I decided this was true years ago, I think I have seen precisely one film in 3D that felt like it mattered: "Avatar".(I will admit that I didn't like the movie enough to buy it and see it in 2D though.)

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    GDT1985 wrote: »

Okay, that makes sense.

I decided this was true years ago, I think I have seen precisely one film in 3D that felt like it mattered: "Avatar".(I will admit that I didn't like the movie enough to buy it and see it in 2D though.)

Even Avatar felt somewhat compromised by its 3D. It looked great, but couldn't resist adding in a bunch of "look at this thing in 3D that exists only here to show off 3D". Plus that movie was dull as hell and got boring the moment it ran out of things to introduce.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Fantastic movie. The only gripe I had was the shakey cam in the first sequence. That was really hard to follow in 3D.
    It felt pretty shakey, jump-cutty, and confusing when Black Panther first ambushed Bucky as well, but at least that sequence was shorter. Once it got to the car chase it was easier to follow.

forty on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    This was a great strip.

Question: do I just read funny, or is the pacing of the text in the middle panel a bit off? When I read it initially, there were no real pauses, but I think that may have just been that I don't respect commas mentally all that much when reading.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    This was a great strip.

Question: do I just read funny, or is the pacing of the text in the middle panel a bit off? When I read it initially, there were no real pauses, but I think that may have just been that I don't respect commas mentally all that much when reading.

Well... a stronger way of telling people there's a beat between the "one, two, three" would be with ellipses? Or more bubbles, which would look silly in a 3 panel comic. But that's assuming he's actually pausing for a second between each count.

With the turn around motion and his facial expression, it seems like he's more anxiously rattling the numbers off. Or you just don't respect commas mentally all that much when reading and I've grossly overthought this. Or both.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    This was a great strip.

Well... a stronger way of telling people there's a beat between the "one, two, three" would be with ellipses? Or more bubbles, which would look silly in a 3 panel comic. But that's assuming he's actually pausing for a second between each count.

With the turn around motion and his facial expression, it seems like he's more anxiously rattling the numbers off. Or you just don't respect commas mentally all that much when reading and I've grossly overthought this. Or both.

Given Tycho's penchant for loving the written word, it would disappoint me greatly if he didn't respect how punctuation reflects intonation. I agree with you that Gabe's "One, two, three, Captain America, why didn't you say anything," in the middle panel is said all at once, maybe even in a single breath. In that way, I think the line might even be stronger if there were no commas at all.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Ok, after seeing the movie, i feel like Tony had the right of it here. He made some mistakes, but i feel like he was doing the right thing. Cap was kinda a douche.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    xwrestlingxwrestling Registered User new member
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Spoken by Benjamin Franklin, endorsed by Captain America. Cap takes the hard road, but he also takes the long view and winds up being right 99% of the time. Including this time.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    xwrestling wrote: »
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Spoken by Benjamin Franklin, endorsed by Captain America. Cap takes the hard road, but he also takes the long view and winds up being right 99% of the time. Including this time.

A good idea in theory but it's contingent on defining "people with earth shattering power can do literally whatever they want" as "essential liberty" which is...dubious, at best. It is unfortunate, but metahumans being what they are warrants special attention and probably oversight. What form that should take is a more productive and plausible conversation than whether they should have it at all.

Liberty is not without boundaries. Yelling fire in a crowded theatre is not okay. Your rights end where my nose begins, etc etc.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    GDT1985 wrote: »

Okay, that makes sense.

I'd add Coraline to that list, if only because it's the only movie where I felt that the 3D made an actual contribution to the narrative.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    Thanks for the spoilery comments, folks.

• Options
    Spoilery comments?

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Spoilery comments?

Nothing too much but just the comments on
    which team is in the right.

That's all I can find.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    theBrayntheBrayn Registered User regular
    Legacy wrote: »
    Spoilery comments?

Nothing too much but just the comments on
    which team is in the right.

That's all I can find.

You have to be living under a rock for any of this conversation that wasn't in spoiler tags to actually spoil anything. I mean, even the trailers make it pretty obvious which side Cap and Stark are on.

• Options
    Sharing your opinion on who you think is right spoils nothing in the movie, anyway. Just like the comic, there's no clear cut right or wrong. I do find it easier to side with Iron Man in the movie, though.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Sharing your opinion on who you think is right spoils nothing in the movie, anyway. Just like the comic, there's no clear cut right or wrong. I do find it easier to side with Iron Man in the movie, though.

When it's Tony, or after Tony's son starts wearing the armor?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

When it's Tony, or after Tony's son starts wearing the armor?
    Yeah, I was really surprised when Galactus showed up.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    What is Tycho reading?!?!?!