As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prospi's picks of the week.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    I've been posting a lot of exteriors lately, that's mainly because I've had some pretty cool homes to shoot this week. So that trend continues... however today I only shot exteriors. So I threw a couple extra in there.

nppwggysdv09.jpg
    Really liked the angles on this deck.

nzyv88qurndw.jpg

ci2crtmbxdjl.jpg

The last two are attempts at me getting better at framing buildings with surrounding trees, shrubbery, bushes, whatever's there.

Happy weekend everyone, make sure to enjoy it!

Trying to have some fun with Exteriors lately. Didn't think I really had a good one today until I came home to edit, I really liked how honest these condos were. It was basically, "Yeah, we're not updating any of the amenities... never have. This is what you get." But they had a lot of charm, so that's why I posted two for today (the pool and the condo front). We're in the monsoons of late spring Colorado so it's been fun to try and get a good exterior even in the muted gray light.

aufrdfeec4vs.jpg
    h1r6l9vphm9e.jpg
    26p7wqzq4xs0.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Love the roof over that pool. Those condos are like every apartment building I've ever seen in my life.

Yeah that pool roof was way too cool to be in that everyman apartment complex. That's why I think it's funny in a dry way, I guess really it was more the experience of "roll up to place I'm supposed to shoot in Boulder, think it's gonna be some cool new condo pad. Double check my appointment listing and think to myself oh it's one of these huh?" The tennis courts looked like something out of a Silent Hill or an early Resident Evil game... so that in mind I decided to have fun and go for that look.

v2pu768lq92x.jpg

alternate version
    g08q3ue905ok.jpg

Wow, that's a dirty tennis court! Man, I wish all the cars weren't there, I feel like the setting is really ripe for something creepy but its too populated. I like the brooding sky, though.

edited May 2016
    Ugh seriously, where's @NightDragon when you need a photo turned into post apocalyptic setting (ND if you want to paint over I can send you the raw file!).

Here are the rest of this week's photos, had another amazing sunrise shoot this week. Always nice when waking up at 3:30am to go take photos results in a decent photo!
    malald6ffuyz.jpg

uf3frvwyu6o9.jpg
    Definitely going to have to have a library wall whenever I own a home...

palpdmc7iqy3.jpg
    Really cool English tavern (I like to think of it as dungeon) style basement in this house.

x21dvass18b5.jpg
    This whole house was gawjuhs.

Prospicience on
    edited May 2016
    Weird forum double post thing!

A couple of those last ones had a little too much noise, not too bad considering I was editing them outside though...

Prospicience on
    Had a bit of a hiatus, both because I was finishing training new employees on top of my regular work day - and because... Overwatch this last weekend. But I'm back! Even though I've really felt like I've been in a slump, not sure if it's working too much (sure that's part of it) or what but haven't been super inspired in my work photos lately.

I feel bad bumping both this thread and the photo thread, but I'm one of the only people posting in the photo thread so for now I'm just going to post here I guess?

Crits welcome as usual.

4yrhu769jctv.jpg

st8zmhwhg2bz.jpg
    This little home in Boulder was nothing special, but I loved it. And the light coming from the skylight over the dining room created some wonderful mood lighting.

dqufzmadfq7u.jpg

pdsx8zj5j5su.jpg

3tydsirn96db.jpg

zkj22oh5khv0.jpg

jln3jh1oqq1t.jpg

Concierto photos:
    26815802263_339407de1a_c.jpgHomeboy Halo by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr
    This is one of my all time favorite concert photos...

26814213934_ff0367e528_c.jpgGive Back by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

26814210954_f5c2fedf04_c.jpgSuper Sonic by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Dont worry about bumping the photo thread, thanks for keeping it alive.

Whenever you make a new post I have to make a disgusted snort because they are so nice and I just fucking want to be in there. Even though they are probably way too grandiose for me. Like, who wants to dust all that shit. Those shots are all nice, though.

It maybe me but I sorta wish each concert shot just had the tiniest bit more brightness/contrast where details are. I do like the feel of them, they are sorta melting into the darkness.

edited June 2016
    Thanks @Iruka that means quite a lot, really :D
    I don't think it's just you by the way, I've gotten a decent amount of comments on the darkness of my photos before - and going to make an effort to bring out the details and features more in the future.

*snip* dirty laundry, don't need that here.

Prospicience on
    edited June 2016
    Alright alright, back at it. Large dump again, going to try to keep it updated more consistently.

First five are from the same home in Boulder. Extremely fun, some clear asian influences on the architecture. I got to do a dawn shoot of it one day and then the interiors a few days later (really excited I got to do both).
    biymzflhuyon.jpg
    bae4uccivfsp.jpg
    gqtbelt01cbr.jpg
    km547udgr3xi.jpg
    cty2vvmkf8lh.jpg

alw50kqvox4r.jpg

ap7r4gddu03v.jpg

0vidh3l0gfhr.jpg

g8eiy69c4pzi.jpg

Prospicience on
    edited June 2016
    I got to shoot this home again, this time in a more colorful time of year. What are your guys' thoughts on the saturation? Trying to figure out if I went a little too overboard.
    h1rd84rb8s1v.jpg
    Seriously though, I want to live in that house and I haven't even been inside.

Prospicience on
    edited June 2016
    egmqu4hvwnka.jpg
    This is an amazing house up in Boulder I took photos of the other day. It has views of both Denver and Boulder. Loved all the repeated arches and the white stone/marble accents and flooring throughout. The balcony in the photo above is particularly impressive in person.

elktqz6a3rdo.jpg
    Something almost the complete opposite of the last one. This condo unit was really cool, loved that I could capture all the repeated horizontal and vertical lines as well as give you a nice layout of the living space. The textured plastic for example, you can see that it doesn't go all the way to the ceiling, creates a more open feeling. I also got wide enough to show the high window of the great room in the upper right.

Prospicience on
    All my amazing homes seem to be in Boulder anymore.

The interior lights were supposed to be on for these first two, but there was some miscommunication and they didn't get turned on. Don't think they turned out too bad though. Having that full moon was a nice addition too.
    3gzn7yy4oxj9.jpg

65cveo9y23mb.jpg

Also in Boulder, this house looked like it was out of a Miyazaki film from the outside.
    nsrjla1h3592.jpg

This one was up in Evergreen, CO. it had some amazing lines going on.
    qbpdar1vlupg.jpg
    We don't usually shoot the backs of couches as they tend to block a lot of floorspace which would make the room look more open. However, I really loved how the couch had parallel lines coinciding with the room's. The couch also makes that left side of the room look sectioned off from the other areas - our goal with interiors is to basically showcase the floorplan of the home. So basically this was one of those "exception to the rule" situations.

Is that barn an actual barn or is it a living space?

I think I need to buy a farm and convert it into a studio.

edited June 2016
    Iruka wrote: »
    Is that barn an actual barn or is it a living space?

I think I need to buy a farm and convert it into a studio.

It was an actual barn, but it was converted into office space. It is still on 100 acres of mostly farmable land though. There were picnic tables about 50 yards away under trees next to a creek - talk about a place to take lunch for work.

However, I would personally be completely content with the husband's studio I took photos of at a home yesterday:
    xi1k59c31qcy.jpg
    9atxgjjming7.jpg
    ndkm5zhn9ymt.jpg

Or in a genius move, I've never seen this done before (except for maybe Deadmau5's studio) - This home had two bedrooms upstairs, a Master Bedroom and a normal bedroom. They converted the master bedroom into the wife's office, and converted the other bedroom into the "master" which was basically just a nice sized room to sleep in.
    5fnbzofefqu4.jpg

Prospicience on
    Kitchen times.
    y9x82vnm936o.jpg

I love that master bed room office, both a cool room and a nice shot. Good light and its cozily furnished.

That kitchen.... has a super weird layout. The stove is as far away as it could be from the sink and fridge. and you'd be cooking with your back to a entryway? How strange.

Yeah it was an interesting kitchen, I actually hadn't noticed the stove thing until you pointed it out. The homeowner designed the layout of the kitchen herself, not sure if she was an interior designer or what but I guess layout went to the wayside when she did. Unless, she were to have some sort of reasoning for laying it out that way.

Last week was pretty sparse as far as what I got to shoot. For the photo with the road going through it - I was just supposed to get photos of the property (15 acres) but it was so heavily wooded it made for not an easy time. I did however get one of my favorite dawn photos last Thursday at a beautiful home, which if I had $2 mill I would buy. One can dream right?...

8v9wy3u9s3yd.jpg

2ij5wiolbnqb.jpg

kav3f7nrtwy2.jpg

opqjkf08p9i2.jpg

Been a while since I've dumped in here, but going to start posting a couple times a week again.

32871167752_a08627cda9_c.jpgFeb 17th Sunrise 02 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

33026677915_2a13a98945_c.jpg2880 Juilliard Street Kitchen by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

32644648810_3f62d2d97d_c.jpg3210 S Monroe Street Study by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

When ever I see a room like the bottom one, all I hear is "welcome to my insanely uncomfortable sitting room, care to join me". I like that kitchen though.

I feel like it might be worthwhile to edit out the left pinebranch in the first one.

When ever I see a room like the bottom one, all I hear is "welcome to my insanely uncomfortable sitting room, care to join me". I like that kitchen though.

I feel like it might be worthwhile to edit out the left pinebranch in the first one.

Haha, yeah - I think it would have been a much better room if it was used as a study instead of another sitting room (the main living room was gorgeous as well). I more just liked the cabinetry woodwork.

On the pine branch - agreed, hadn't caught my eye much before you mentioned it. I did take a photo a little more straight on without the pine branch intruding. That home had a beautiful front which was mostly obscured by trees, I was trying to play on that a little bit. But, could have done that more effectively without having the branches intrude quite so much on the left. Thankee.

edited March 2017
    Wooo HOUSES (and views)!

This shot I more picked because the art pieces on the walls of this home were absolutely amazing. Lots of paintings over a hundred years old.
    33052840311_c281980756_c.jpgArt OH the art by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

This den is straight out of the 60's/70's. Looked like it was out of a TV sitcom, velvet painting, shag carpet and everything. The shag carpet was on top of linoleum too...
    32365410003_ac494b0bd5_c.jpgThey come in all shapes and sizes by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Pretty interesting home up in the mountains, it wasn't anything to brag about on the outside, but it was at the top of a peak and had some pretty wild views.
    33052840071_47ff5893e4_c.jpgEagle's Nest by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr
    32365409413_93a526efa6_c.jpgMountain view by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Another from Evergreen, really liked how open the main area of this house was with the support beams showing at the top. Had a "modern" cabin style from the 70's going on.
    32798350050_b49b81e7b9_c.jpgEverliving-room by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Lightroom's HDR merge has improved amazingly well, I'm really digging it lately. No weird shadowing, halo'ing or sharpening issues. They are killin' it right now. If I could batch process HDR in lightroom it'd be even more amazing.

Prospicience on
    Ech, that last one is like my ideal studio space, if you took out all the normal people stuff. Who needs "a nice place to eat"?

I also love that fucking wood paneling room. Sure, its outdated, but what great warm colors for a photo. Also I feel the urge to go sit down in it and kick my shoes off in ways that the house immediately above it cant begin to replicate. There's something about modern open houses that will for ever scream "model home!!" to me, they dont feel as lived in.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ech, that last one is like my ideal studio space, if you took out all the normal people stuff. Who needs "a nice place to eat"?

I also love that fucking wood paneling room. Sure, its outdated, but what great warm colors for a photo. Also I feel the urge to go sit down in it and kick my shoes off in ways that the house immediately above it cant begin to replicate. There's something about modern open houses that will for ever scream "model home!!" to me, they dont feel as lived in.

Everyone I know eats at their couch or desk.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I like that even when you HDR you don't over HDR, what is it about realtors/real estate photographers over HDRing the shit out of everything? (I used to work in the industry)

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I just read through this whole thread, super interesting and lots of beautiful shots. Thanks for taking the time to post and comment on all this!

edited March 2017
    bowen wrote: »

Everyone I know eats at their couch or desk.

Yeah I overheard a realtor mentioning that in new builds there's hardly ever a "dining room" because they're the least used rooms in homes. She mentioned a statistic as well (which I can't remember), but let's just say dining rooms are hardly used anymore aside from holidays.
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I like that even when you HDR you don't over HDR, what is it about realtors/real estate photographers over HDRing the shit out of everything? (I used to work in the industry)

Haha, when my boss mentioned we were going to start using HDR 6 years ago I cringed pretty hard as I was never a fan. We never really "over HDR'd" but I was never very happy with how our HDR looked until I was able to give input about a year and a half ago.

Red Raevyn wrote: »
    I just read through this whole thread, super interesting and lots of beautiful shots. Thanks for taking the time to post and comment on all this!

Thank you kindly Raevyn! I noticed last year when I kept up with this, my productivity and creativity went up in other areas of life. Otherwise I just stagnate in my living room watching the The Red Devil, aka Netflix.

Slim pickin's the rest of the week. However, the way things are going I'll probably have one dawn/twilight photo in each batch due to me getting to do some pretty rad homes lately.

Getting to this house was a nice 3 hour round trip
    33236075375_1b486c5d10_c.jpgLittle House on the High Prarie by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

This was a really cool house. Had an italian villa kinda look going on inside. The master bedroom was amazing but it made for a tough room to capture all in one photo, which meant I wasn't happy with one particular photo of the room.
    33194430836_554f09facd_c.jpgFunctional Foyer by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Going to update tomorrow with another couple photos of this home, since it was a great sunrise for photos.
    32421490833_de9b8ff6fd_c.jpgAtop a Mountain in Morning by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Extra one, you can see little deer in the trees.
    4rplohqpzm77.jpg

Prospicience on
    Alright, a few from this week.

Got a pretty good mix of different types of homes this week.

More modern, very open, very foothills of Colorado. Fun angles though.
    32970271280_3691a82043_c.jpgCastle P by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Really loved this old home, sun rooms are pretty much my favorite.
    32970271540_92158d5a64_c.jpgCherry on top by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr
    32970271760_a7e35edd07_c.jpgCherry on top 2 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Had to go back and reshoot this home since they re-staged it. Figured I'd just pick a different room this time.
    32970272110_2214639ca9_c.jpgLibrary by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

I had a laugh at this backyard. Lots of character for how small it is though. Suppose it's not a bad size for a condo in the city.
    32970272730_b80bd77efb_c.jpgHuge Back Yard by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Is the condo in denver, or boulder?

I'll never be a fan of wallpaper, though it was coming back into favor recently. I wonder if it's still trending that way? I think it makes any room look overly busy.

Is the condo in denver, or boulder?

I'll never be a fan of wallpaper, though it was coming back into favor recently. I wonder if it's still trending that way? I think it makes any room look overly busy.

That condo is in Denver. Actually a pretty fun condoinside, the couple that lived there owned one of the more popular cigar shops in Denver. He said they had no idea what they were going to do after the home sold. He mentioned throwing a mattress in the back of their VW bus and traveling for a while.

Nah, I'm right there with you on the wallpaper here. I've seen a few wallpapers which are extremely cool. But in the thousands of homes I've shot, I've only seen a few I liked. Usually something custom... I'll have to look out for it, so next time if I ever do come across some cool wallpaper I'll post it here. This particular house has a very old timey, old money thing going on. My guess is the next owners will either be older, or someone younger buys and just completely strips most the house.

Monday and Tuesday's from this week.

$1.3 Million home in Boulder O_o - Also the first time I've been able to get a full moon in one of my sunrise photos for work!
    32616368514_a025c8495a_c.jpgFlatiron Moonset/Sunrise by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

33076325990_79151f10c8_c.jpgGreat Room by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

That is... a really uninspired exterior for the money. Looks like a stellar view though.

Do you ever get a chance to shoot from angles that aren't "Shoot from the corner to try and get this full room in the shot"?

That is... a really uninspired exterior for the money. Looks like a stellar view though.
    Yeah, very uninspired. There's a lot of old homes in the area, a lot of them going for over a mill, that's boulder for you right now. Even a crappy property with good views in that neighborhood can go for $800k+
    Do you ever get a chance to shoot from angles that aren't "Shoot from the corner to try and get this full room in the shot"?

Sometimes yes, not as often as I'd like unfortunately. I was thinking about that quite a bit when I started the thread back up. Most of the priority is to show the room as large as we can which tends to end up being "yay shoot from the corner". Mayhaps I should just start posting alternate views I get to take when I take them as opposed to, picking one a day even if I don't get a particularly interesting home... I'll see what I can do about that. Thank you for pointing it out, as sometimes I need to hear things like that to push it a little more. Can be difficult when you do these so often it sometimes becomes formulaic.

Alright, so since my last post I've been trying to sneak in more detail oriented shots (Not as much shoot from a corner). I've also checked out a couple books and magazines for some more inspiration.

Seems as though I've gone from "shoot from this corner" to "shoot straight on" - I guess it's a start.
    These three are from the same home, amazing horse property, had a mexican villa/ranch style.
    33567071206_72aac5730b_c.jpgSedalia 1 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

33478685781_a098ab4879_c.jpgSedalia 2 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

32793839963_2d0462ffc1_c.jpgSedalia 3 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

This house was magical to say the least, the homeowner was a sculptor and had these hulking sculptures around her home, really beautiful and on a really beautiful sunrise nonetheless.
    33567119616_6b5cbd13a7_c.jpgA Sculptor's Dawn by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

A custom Boulder home built in the 90's, talk about huge...
    32765082494_9837437155_c.jpgCustom 1 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

33451182782_4efe01f02e_c.jpgCustom 2 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Wow that first house! What a dream that is.

The strait on shots are a nice little shake up, though. I hope you keep sneaking some new angles in.

also Jeez, someone give me a few million so I can live in boulder, please

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    @Prospicience you @ mentioned me in the photo thread and on the notification instead of clicking the thread link I accidentally clicked on your name and then this thread. I must say there is a lot of really awesome stuff in here and I'm sad I missed it as it was being posted. These days do you just use lightroom's built in HDR processing? I'm still using standalone LR 5.7 instead of whatever version creative cloud has.

I would love to see your process for HDRing these photos.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    @CommunistCow Damn man, my sincerest apologies. Really thought I'd responded to you and haven't visited this thread in months. Really appreciate your kind words on my photos, means a lot.

For almost all of the above - yes I use Lightroom's built in HDR processing. It still has the best HDR processing in my opinion - seemingly better than PS (which I'm guessing is due to the merged lightroom file still retaining the RAW data. I should compare the two again though. I'll see if I can create some sort of screen capture video of my process using OBS on my desktop PC. For work we are still using Photomatix because it's still the best option for batch processing that we're aware of.

Going to start picking at least a couple photos a week again. For the past few months I got stuck in my same old routine of just trying to get through the day shooting home to home as quick as I could. I've also had mostly - less than inspiring homes for some reason in the past few months. Been trying to save up the good ones here and there.
    7zm5e33zr80d.jpg

Dammit Boulder, why you gotta have such great homes. This one was built in 1889 and is going for $1.28 mill, new life goals? Said it before, but the old homes in Colorado are almost always my favorite. This one has some updates but all REALLY compliment the home.

3bjboqqc7hir.jpg

Little study nook in the Master Bedroom.
    njt2knusugnm.jpg

k5ffogoiy5y0.jpg

I'm excited for you posting again! I should do some studies of your interiors, you do a great job of capturing and emphasizing natural light.

That bathroom looks like heaven but I've almost killed myself several times on one of my relatives claw foot tubs, its a real slippery shit. Love that....study? vanity?

Do you ever find houses with nerdy stuff in them, or have we all not entered into home ownership in that way?