As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I have a quickfire xt, would recommend

solidly built and mine has held up well (the keys have worn after years of use but that's pretty unavoidable.) It's not long on features but I didn't really want most of the common high-end keyboard features anyway. My only complaint is that the media shortcuts are a bit hard to reach (right modifier key + F5-8), but that's a minor gripe and something you can fix yourself if you really wanna

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Thoughts on the Strafe RGB MX Silent currently on sale at Best Buy? My main concern is that the switches will be too sensitive for normal desktop use (i.e. phantom key presses). I was originally targeting a K70 with MX Browns as my entry mechanical, but this seems like a great deal.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-strafe-rgb-mx-silent-gaming-keyboard-black/4370907.p?id=1219738782240&skuId=4370907

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Thoughts on the Strafe RGB MX Silent currently on sale at Best Buy? My main concern is that the switches will be too sensitive for normal desktop use (i.e. phantom key presses). I was originally targeting a K70 with MX Browns as my entry mechanical, but this seems like a great deal.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-strafe-rgb-mx-silent-gaming-keyboard-black/4370907.p?id=1219738782240&skuId=4370907

You can get an cm quick fire xt for 89.99 and Newegg has a 10 rebate. That has Browns on it.

camo_sig.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

I like it.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Ended up with the quickfire xt with Browns. Installed some silicon o-rings on them also. So far I like it. It is not quite as burly feeling as my ducky zero but it'll do. And my wife likes it even if she thought It was dumb I didn't just buy a quiet keyboard to start with

camo_sig.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, nothing worse then having these badass mastercraft level keyboards only to have to use the shittiest shitfest keyboards at work.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Man, nothing worse then having these badass mastercraft level keyboards only to have to use the shittiest shitfest keyboards at work.

I'm on a bottom-of-the-barrel Logitech G105 and using the keyboards at work are like torture.

Those luxurious, large keys with their nice soft yet tactile response and glorious matte finish.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I type a lot. I'm a programmer, I like to game on PC, I like to talk on forums and such. Luckily I get to use a mech for all of that typing. Sometimes though, I get to help people cure their digital chlamydia, or I get stuck typing up something on a computer that isn't mine, and man does my typing go to shit on a rubber dome keyboard now. I use reds normally, and I'm just not pressing the keys all the way down or anywhere near hard enough to make them work. I feel like my fingers turned into noodles. Laptop keyboards are not great feeling, but at least the shorter travel distance means my keypresses register.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I had to get used to typing on reds (brush a key and it registers it feels like), but once I did it's so nice.

If anyone wants a cheaper mechanical with most of the bells and whistles (backlighting, headphone/mic/usb ports, media keys and volume roller) I'd recommend the GSKILL KM780 MX. Even have an RGB version, but of course ups the price some.

Xeddicus on
    Cloud of boobs.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I have a mechanical with reds at home, but the PCs at work have those godawful generic Dell budget box rubberdomes.

I took my laptop (an old Thinkpad T400) to work the other day to work on a project and even going back and forth between the Dells and the keys on my laptop was like night and day. I wish I could talk my boss into clearing the expense for some decent replacement keyboards but it's not critical so it likely won't happen.

I work for [unnamed government agency] so it's pretty much impossible for me to get anything other than this shitty Dell rubber-dome. Even if I ask for a replacement, it won't be any better.

I've actually decided to hold off buying a mechanical until later in the year. June and July will have a large amount of work travel and vacation, so anything I buy now will sit idly at home 90% of the next two months (wait....how is that different from normal?).

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    A while back I took an old keyboard of my own to my work. After a couple people saw it, used it a little, in a couple weeks suddenly the whole office had clickity sounds emanating from every office. It's such a quality of life upgrade in a typing heavy environment that it really shouldn't be overlooked.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Does anyone know much about Kailh Red Mechanical Key Switches or Kailh switches in general? There's a dirt cheap mechanical keyboard going on Ebuyer today, but I'm hesitant as I've never heard of these guys.

Quick googling seems to show that their specs are pretty much the same as Cherry's, but I'm still sceptical...

They are cherry knockoff switches manufactured in China. My understanding is that they're not terrible, but there are some questions about their quality control and long term durability.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    When I bought my Ducky Shine 3, I also bought one for my older sister to take to work. She guards it with fire and siege weaponry in her office - she gets lots of questions about it and has no misconceptions about how quickly it would disappear if the opportunity came up.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    A while back I took an old keyboard of my own to my work. After a couple people saw it, used it a little, in a couple weeks suddenly the whole office had clickity sounds emanating from every office. It's such a quality of life upgrade in a typing heavy environment that it really shouldn't be overlooked.

I was planning on doing this. As good as the equipment at my prospective job is, the keyboards are the ass-stock Dell's we *all* know.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Corsair Gaming STRAFE with cherry browns for $75 on Newegg ($25 off with promo code STRAFEMX25 through 6/30).

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Corsair Gaming STRAFE with cherry browns for $75 on Newegg ($25 off with promo code STRAFEMX25 through 6/30).

They've changed the pricing for the browns to $120 now, so now it's "only" $95. The cherry red and cherry blue version are still at that price, however.

Really tempting....

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Is there a good, reliable mech KB maker that offers custom color selections for individual keys? I like the ESC and Break keys being red, for instance.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    There are others out there, but this one just launched a Kickstarter:

[there is a kickstarter out there if you look for one under Das Keyboard]

Icemopper on
    That is one fancy keyboard.

I want it, of course. But I do not remotely need it. Not the tiniest little bit.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I went nuts and kickstarted the Wooting One, who's campaign recently ended.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wooting/the-analog-mechanical-keyboard-for-precise-movemen/description
    Analog keys that registers itself as both a regular keyboard and as an XBox controller, simulating true analog joysticks and triggers via pressure sensitive keys.

iTNdmYl.png
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Just a heads up @Icemopper , I'm pretty sure direct linking to an active kickstarter is verboten

That 5Q gimmick seems so....gimmicky. Instead of a billion notices, you have a billion blinking keys you're supposed to remember what each color where is for. Yeah, good luck above 3 or 4.

Though I'd still take the early bird one. :P

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The thing that seems really weird is, we're all striving for touch-typing, right? The more time you spend looking at your keyboard, the less productive you actually are. And here they are pushing a product that wants you to look at your keyboard more. Yeah, they say that you can see the colors in the periphery of your vision, but I'm kinda not buying it.

Also, come on, any diagnostic programs I run on my computer are not going to be eating up massive resources. I have gigs of RAM and four CPU cores, I'm sure it'll be fine.

(And it's not like messages come in from the Internet and go into they keyboard for free; they need to be routed there somehow, and unless I plug the keyboard directly into the network card, I'm pretty sure the CPU will be involved.)

Like, I'm 100% fine with them pitching the keyboard as a cool novelty tech-toy. I'm annoyed that they're trying to pitch it as a revolutionary productivity device, because it absolutely is not that.

edited July 2016
    Is there a good, reliable mech KB maker that offers custom color selections for individual keys? I like the ESC and Break keys being red, for instance.

I'm sure the subreddits for mechanical keyboards (and possibly PCMR or similar) list retailers that sell keycaps in packages or individually. I know Ducky sells keycaps, but I'm not sure if they sell individual keys. I *know* I've seen custom keycap sets on PCMR but I can't for the life of me remember where the posters said they bought them.

Edit: Ah, here's a good start. http://www.daskeyboard.com/blog/custom-keycaps-what-they-are-where-to-find-them/

Mugsley on
    WASD Keyboards lets you customize the shit out of their designs! Sweet.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Just a heads up @Icemopper , I'm pretty sure direct linking to an active kickstarter is verboten

Thanks for the tip, didn't know. I haven't been active on the boards in a while, I need to read up.

edited July 2016
    Corsair STRAFE with cherry reds for $75 on Amazon.

EDIT: Fixed.

EDITx2: Except now the bloody deal is over. :sad:

EDITx3: Oh, there's the deal. Still available for $75 from Amazon, but estimated delivery is 1-3 months.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    @Iolo Your link is busted.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Delivery times are showing up normal now for me.

On a side note I have that very keyboard with reds and it's amazing.

SmokeStacks on
    Does anyone have experience with Kailh switches? Are Kailh Browns similar to Cherry Browns?

I'm debating between this and a K65 with Cherry Reds that someone is selling on Reddit.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/klictro-chameleon-rgb-mechanical-keyboard

Huh, anyone heard of TOMOKO?

$30 on Amazon for a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard with blues with code BHGVGT4X. KB is pretty well regarded by reviews with 4/5 stars from 176 reviews. (There's a tenkeywith version for $64. Not sure if the code works with it.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    CODE Keyboards with blue Kailh switches are currently up for $79.99 + s/h at Massdrop.

edited August 2016
    Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Ugh. Never had a mech, so I'm wavering between the reds and browns. Leaning toward the reds because I know more of what they feel like (thanks to BB displays).

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I picked up the STRAFE the last time Amazon had it on sale with the browns, and I couldn't be happier with it. The worst thing about it is that it makes me sad I don't have a second one for my work machine. :(

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Well, sounds like now's a good time to buy one!