We're going to be adding some advertisements to the forums! If you notice any weirdness around this or spot bad/inappropriate ads, please make a thread in the bugs forum.

VidCard is artifacting(?) after power cut out

AutoScizAutoSciz Registered User
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a MSI NX6800GT, which I bought along with the rest of my computer around August 2005. I wake up yesterday in my apartment and notice that the power had gone off, not sure for how long. I turn my computer back on it sounds weird. Sounds sort of like: vrrrr vrrrr VRRRRRRR vrrrr, over and over. Everything seemed to be running fine and I leave it on. Later on in the day it crashes, all these weird little boxes cover the entire screen and I have to turn the computer off. This is artifacting correct? This has never happened before. So I open up my computer and take the video card out. Well there is a huge layer of dust seperating the heatsink and the fan. I'm thinking maybe that's where the noise was coming from (but why now)?

I give that a thorough cleaning and put it back in. I turn on the computer and check and make sure all the fans are running. They are and the crazy noise is gone. Not even 20min later the computer crashes again. So I've left it off for 10 some hours and just turned it on now. I'm just waiting for it to crash again...

Would the power cutting off screw up my video card? If so, what are my options?

EDIT: Also, I don't think swapping it out and putting another one in is an option. The only people I know have notebooks or old Dell/Emachines.

AutoSciz on

• robaalrobaal Registered User
    edited November 2006
    I don't remember if 6800GTs had temperature sensors, but I think so.

Download the free version of Everest and check the temperatures there. Look at the voltages also - they should be within 5% of their target value, +12V and +5V are most important.

The second time it crashed did it also show artefacts? Did it crash when the computer was idle or were you running some application that used 3D?

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• AutoScizAutoSciz Registered User
    edited November 2006
    First crash happened when I was playing TrackMania. The second crash (after I cleaned all the dust out) happened when I was using Firefox. Both times were artifacts.

Here's what Everest shows:
    everestsensor.jpg

Also, I've had the computer on for 2hrs 40min, which is promising right? Though I haven't played any games or anything.

AutoSciz on
  • robaalrobaal Registered User
    edited November 2006
    Well the temps look OK. Seeing as the card isn't even 2y old I suggest you stress-test the hell out of it and if it freezes the system use it as an excuse to return/RMA it (MSI has "3 year limited warranty (Two (2) years Parts & Labor, and the third Year Parts ONLY, shipping and handling fee will be required" starting from the manufacture date, so the warranty from the seller might be better).

I think the ATI Tool artifact scanner works also on nVidia hardware, so I suggest using that (it's surprisingly efficient at heating up the GPU). There are also 3Dmarks if it doesn't work or something - just run one of them on loop without the CPU and sound tests.

Loss of power shouldn't damage the hardware, but spikes or other power anomalies might; a decent UPS should be able to filter them out IIRC.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• AutoScizAutoSciz Registered User
    edited November 2006
    Ran the artifact scanner and it lasted for 11 seconds before it crashed (artifacted) and I had to turn the computer off.

I bought the card from NewEgg. I'll have to ask Santa for a UPS.

AutoSciz on