As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Yard/Boot/Garage Sales and Buying Other People's Crap

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
So the summer has come to New England and with it comes the weekend yard sales and flea markets. It's already taken over my household for the year with the four of us getting up first thing Saturday mornings and scouring the town for awesome stuff. So far this year we've dragged home records, board games, toys, video games and books.

Are we the only addicts to pouring through other people's shit? Anybody else running around weekends hoping to find that SNES console with all the Square RPGs or the collection of Kiss vinyl in pristine condition?

Here are two of my favorite finds. First an oldie - judging by my son in the picture, I'm guess about 4 years ago. We bought a giant stuffed wiener. Turns out it was a store promotional item used for store openings from Oscar Mayer. It lives in our basement gameroom and gets used as a footstool or seating.

3lqr29z5879d.jpg

Second was this weekend, where I got a Millennium Falcon to go with my Star Wars collection. I had never been able to justify the cost for one before, but for $10 even with some missing guns I couldn't resist (it did come with roof panels and guns not in the picture, but it's definitely incomplete). Pardon the mess in the background as we're packing up the whole apartment to move in a month.

16q9ra7gjmnl.jpg

Let's share great finds or tales of getting into fist fights with a senior citizen over a used pair of shoes!

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    15-20 years ago I bought a colecovision and a milk crate full of games for ten dollars. It was awesome. My mother gave it to goodwill some years later.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    whoa. i had that millennium falcon playset and I have no idea where it is. there's a chance it's still in my closet somehow

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Millennium Falcon my brother and I shared as kids may still be at my parents' house. I won't visit till the holidays, but I will check for miscellaneous accessories if you remind me come late December.

I traded a (small) cap gun for a bike at a yard sale once.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm a flea market man, myself, and I've bought a lot of shit at 'em

I shopped my fair share of tag sales as well, I suppose, but the flea market was always such a delight, a beautiful way to spend a hot summer morning

I really miss 'em now, they're not really a thing in cities so much (and neither, really, are tag sales)

There was a neighborhood garage sale thing last weekend that got pretty close to being like, a weird back alley flea market

But nothing will beat the one of my chidhood

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    First, thanks for the offer to help complete my Falcon - it's no biggie since most of what's missing is landing gear and it won't need that hanging from my ceiling once my basement is finished :) As a bonus I found Jango Fett in a hidden compartment and a chrome Stormtrooper helmet in the cockpit.

Second, I'll share another of my tales from yard sales. Two years ago we hit a yard sale that was fairly obviously a doctor or nurse (or someone that dropped out of school in that field). They had all sorts of books and models and displays of parts of the body in formaldehyde or acrylic. No matter how much begging I tried, my wife would not let me buy the testicles.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    First, thanks for the offer to help complete my Falcon - it's no biggie since most of what's missing is landing gear and it won't need that hanging from my ceiling once my basement is finished :) As a bonus I found Jango Fett in a hidden compartment and a chrome Stormtrooper helmet in the cockpit.

Second, I'll share another of my tales from yard sales. Two years ago we hit a yard sale that was fairly obviously a doctor or nurse (or someone that dropped out of school in that field). They had all sorts of books and models and displays of parts of the body in formaldehyde or acrylic. No matter how much begging I tried, my wife would not let me buy the testicles.

I'm so jealous, I would have bought the hell out of those

Also, that reminds me

@Kochikens I was at my friendly neighborhood taxidermy store the other day, and I took some pictures to make you jealous

Spoilered for gross dead stuff
    Wide-ish shot (that's a human skeleton, I believe from a Freemasons ritual or something of its ilk, as well as the shelf full of animal skulls, which has a couple of coyote skulls I am enamored with):
    IMG_20160521_135754723_zps2g1qs8iy.jpg

Human bits:

IMG_20160521_135652657_zpslnru9swl.jpg

Their brand new, apparently authentic, two headed calf:

IMG_20160521_135631733_zpsod4atvwf.jpg

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love yard sales but I never find shit around here so I've lost interest.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    The regular flea markets around here are mostly garbage. One is just a bunch of vendors selling housewares and clothes that they bought wholesale in downtown. The other is a little better, but it's about 90% used hand tools.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's hard to find those super good finds nowadays when people can Google values.

Still fun though.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    The regular flea markets around here are mostly garbage. One is just a bunch of vendors selling housewares and clothes that they bought wholesale in downtown. The other is a little better, but it's about 90% used hand tools.

The Flea market here is the place to fence goods it seems as it's really that sense of wrong and sketchy people

I use ebay a lot to get items I cannot usually buy around here

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I buy almost exclusively flea market vinyl

I am addicted