As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

100 Octane gas

For the FutureFor the Future ClubPA regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello guys, how can I go about finding 100% Octane gasoline in my area? I've looked online and found nothing, and the gas stations like shell and chevron don't seem to have any. I'm in South Florida.

For the Future on

• Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well, there's 100LL that's used as AvGas for general aviation.

I've heard of it being bought as street racing fuel, but I can't imagine that the lead could be good for your engine.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It's very rare to find 100 octane gasoline for sale at gas stations. I saw it once at one in Eastern Washington, and that's it. It was something ridiculous like $6/gallon.

Why do you want it, if I may ask? You'd have to have a very specialized and expensive car to get any benefit from fuel with that high an octane rating.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    After reading through this article I would think that it's either unavailable or ridiculously expensive.

I do not know where one could find such things. Racing enthusiast shop? The track? Try there.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The only place I know to get higher than 92 or whatever the gas stations have is to go to a raceway. Infineon in California has up to 120 octane I believe. I'd check for any raceways near you.

edit: and also what blincoln said, it's very expensive. I think it went up to $30/gallon.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Joseph StalinJoseph Stalin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Go to an airfield. IIRC avaiation fuel is 107 Octane, and you should be able to get them to pump it in your car. I know they will do it in San Diego, for example.

Joseph Stalin on
    Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Workingmen of all countries, unite!
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Some gas stations randomly sell it; there was one pump at a gas station near my house in suburbia (50 miles from any racetrack) that had 100 octane gas. No idea why. Call your local gas companies (Chevron, 76, whatever) and see if they have one nearby.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    thank you for your replies! I know some gas stations randomly sell high octane fuels but I have trouble finding these randomly. I know the gas is expensive but you generally do not fill the whole tank with it, you can mix it with the right amount of 93 octane and still get the same effect.

For the Future on
  • Options
    WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I know some gas stations near lakes keep it for jet boats or raceboat. They have 115 not too far from my house.

Walter on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    thank you for your replies! I know some gas stations randomly sell high octane fuels but I have trouble finding these randomly. I know the gas is expensive but you generally do not fill the whole tank with it, you can mix it with the right amount of 93 octane and still get the same effect.

I take it this is in america? Cause if it was Australia I'd point out that every third petrol station sells 98 Octane (all the BPs do). Otherwise yeah, I have no help for you.

Blake T on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    And what effect would that be? You're not going to gain any power.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    And what effect would that be? You're not going to gain any power.

And mixing them would result in some weird ~97 octane blend.

If you really want this, look at drag strips, or any place advertising 'race gas.' But prepare to pay through the nose.

And unless your engine is specifically tuned to run 100 octane gas, you won't see any benefit from using it, and in fact you may loose a bit of performance.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Go to an airfield. IIRC avaiation fuel is 107 Octane, and you should be able to get them to pump it in your car. I know they will do it in San Diego, for example.

Not 107, you have 80 or 100LL, then you move up into jet fuel which will fuck your car to pieces.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How about Octane booster? The best grade gas + some octane booster might do it. I don't actually know, I just thought it might be something worth checking out.

Orestes on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Orestes wrote:
    How about Octane booster? The best grade gas + some octane booster might do it. I don't actually know, I just thought it might be something worth checking out.
    As-seen-on-TV bullshit. Steer clear.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Orestes wrote:

Only raise octane by 1/10th.

Engine is tuned for high octane.

For the Future on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Blaket wrote:

I take it this is in america? Cause if it was Australia I'd point out that every third petrol station sells 98 Octane (all the BPs do). Otherwise yeah, I have no help for you.

The 98 Octane in Australia would probably be equivalent to the 91 Octane in the States because they use a different measurement system for determining the rating. Here in Korea they have 100 Octane gasoline which behaves similarly to 91 Octane gasoline in the US. The use of ethanol mixed gasolines are more prevalent here resulting in the weird Octane ratings.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    krapst78 wrote:
    Blaket wrote:

The 98 Octane in Australia would probably be equivalent to the 91 Octane in the States because they use a different measurement system for determining the rating. Here in Korea they have 100 Octane gasoline which behaves similarly to 91 Octane gasoline in the US. The use of ethanol mixed gasolines are more prevalent here resulting in the weird Octane ratings.

We don't use ethanol in australia, tis illegal, the petrol we have in australia is miles better than those whacky americans, it's why imports need to be retuned as they are designed to run on dirtier fuel.

Blake T on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nucsh wrote:

Not 107, you have 80 or 100LL, then you move up into jet fuel which will fuck your car to pieces.

Your car won't run on jetfuel, period. It's far too dense - it's much closer to diesel, and even a diesel engine wouldn't likely run it.

As a point of interest, 100LL would probably do little for your car unless it's incredibly-highly tuned. The extra octane over a 92-rating mogas would be wasted. There's no reason to need such an anti-knock capability in an engine unless you're doing drag-racing.

As well, using 100LL in anything other than aviation is very much illegal. There's way too much lead in it. 100 low lead still has 3 or 4 times as much lead in it as the old LEADED mogas. Not only would be spewing lead out your tailpipe to no end, but there's a good chance all that lead would foul any modern engine not built with a high-lead gas in mind.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Man you must be building a high compression, high boost engine. How about some details? :)

wmelon on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You didn't say where in Florida you are, but;

Volusia County Speedway
    1500 E Highway 40
    DeLeon Springs, FL 32130
    (904) 985-4402

Speedway SuperAmerica Store #8380
    1920 Harden Blvd
    Lakeland, FL
    CAM2

Speedway SuperAmerica Store #8355
    4600 W New Haven
    Melbourne, FL 32094
    (321) 724-9616
    CAM2

Racing Fuels of Daytona
    108 Roble Lane
    Ormond Beach, FL 32174
    (904) 255-4501

Moroso Motorsports Park
    SR 710 Beeline Hwy
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
    (561) 622-1400

Speedway SuperAmerica Store #84
    3953 Bee Ridge Rd
    Sarasota, FL 34233
    (914) 922-5322

They're supposed to have 100 at their pumps, but I'm not sure how many stations keep them in stock still. If you have no luck with them then call your local dragstrip or track.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Orestes wrote:

What kind of engine is it? 93 should be MORE than enough for any street car.

//Fuck CA and its 91 octane pea soup

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    SabreSabre Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Blaket wrote:
    krapst78 wrote:
    Blaket wrote:

We don't use ethanol in australia, tis illegal, the petrol we have in australia is miles better than those whacky americans, it's why imports need to be retuned as they are designed to run on dirtier fuel.

It's not that the gas is better, per se, it's that the octane rating is measured in a different way than in North America. Now, whether or not the gas is cleaner, I don't know, but it looks like that krapst78 was merely referring to the octane rating.

Sabre on
    PAsig.jpg
    SteamID : Harbinger EVE-O: Jarek Dryayen
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    You didn't say where in Florida you are, but;

Volusia County Speedway
    1500 E Highway 40
    DeLeon Springs, FL 32130
    (904) 985-4402

Racing Fuels of Daytona
    108 Roble Lane
    Ormond Beach, FL 32174
    (904) 255-4501

They're supposed to have 100 at their pumps, but I'm not sure how many stations keep them in stock still. If you have no luck with them then call your local dragstrip or track.

There are a couple of Shell stations that carry it durring bike week/bike'toberfest/race week(s) in the daytona area.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nitsuj82 wrote:
    Orestes wrote:

What kind of engine is it? 93 should be MORE than enough for any street car.

//Fuck CA and its 91 octane pea soup

Yeah, what do you own? A McLaren F1?

Comahawk on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Cycophant wrote:
    Your car won't run on jetfuel, period.
    batmobile-512.jpg

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Or possibly:

060606tfa.jpg

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Cycophant wrote:
    Your car won't run on jetfuel, period.
    batmobile-512.jpg
    blincoln wrote:
    Or possibly:

060606tfa.jpg

Touché.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Don't forget...

300px-M1-A1_Abrams_1.jpg

On a serious note, there's very little reason for a street-legal car to need this, which is probably why people are reacting this way. If this is a car you used to drive around town, and it's tuned such that it requires this kind of fuel, maybe you ought to consider....re-tuning it?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Or maybe he doesn't have 2 cars and uses his DD (daily driver) for his track car also. It wouldn't be unreasonable to run 100 octane in an RB26DETT

clsCorwin on