As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Morning sickness = maybe pregnant? Help.

Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright so heres the deal. Me and my girlfreind started having sex a while ago, maybe 2 or 3 months, everythings cool. Except a few days ago, shes mentioned to me that shes been waking up really nauseous in the morning, consistantly for a few days, and almost every day since then. Like morning sickness. So of course we jump to the very rational, logical conclusion that she might be pregnant, and I act all calm and whatnot and reassure her that theres no reason to jump to such conclusions.

Secretly, I am freaking out.

So I just wanted to clarify a few things:

A) You would know if the condom broke, right? I could never feel anything break and always kind of checked it out afterwords. Would you definatly notice if it broke?

B) How logical is it for us to assume this? That since shes woken up nauseous the past few days or so (maybe 4 or 5?) that she might be pregnant? Is this a ridiculous conclusion to make?

C) I also told her not to freak out or anything, because her worrying and being stressed out will just make it late. She told me that this was a myth and just wasnt true, but I've heard much anecdotal evidence to the contrary. It is really just a myth?

D) I suggested a pregnancy test, so we wouldnt have to freak out for another week and a half (its due in a week or so), but she said that they only work at most two or three days before your missed period, so it would be pointless now. This sounded wrong to me, but I literally know nothing about those things. Is that true? Or could we maybe pick one up from the store tomarrow and check it out?

Thanks so much for anyone that took the time to read this or respond to anything. Seriously, I appreciate it.

Chop Logic on

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A) Not necessarily. Most of the time that it's happened to me, though, it's been pretty obvious. All it takes to ruin a condom, however, are a couple well-placed microtraumas; you can't really feel those.
    B) It's not really that logical, unless you test. Plenty of people who get nauseated regularly are not pregnant. Even women.
    C) It's mostly a myth, yes.
    D) Also a myth; she is absolutely, incontrovertibly wrong here. OTC pregnancy tests check for human chorionic gonadotropin, which should be present in urine, say, a week and a half after conception. As long as it's been a couple weeks, an OTC test will work.

naporeon on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    On the stress issue; this doesn't really help anyone in this thread, but:
    Stress does affect the menstrual cycle, but there is usually some confusion on the point because there is a difference between traumatic stress and general stress and normally only the first will affect hormone output.
    Unfortunately, the line between the two can be blurred by certain neurological conditions (OCD is one really obvious and severe one) and the individuals ability to cope with chronic stress...

In this case, I don't think it likely to affect her period unless she is already under stress from other sources...

On the topic of tests, I hear some early-detection progesterone tests are supposed to be sensitive enough to confirm a pregnancy three days after conception, though I have never looked into whether they mean fertilisation or implantation, which could be as much as 48hrs apart...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ever notice how when you're sick, you're sicker in the morning than you are the rest of the day?

Yeah. It's probably just that. No reason to freak out.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KrysanthemumKrysanthemum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Pregnancy tests are effective 10 days after conception (although check the box of the particular pregnancy test, some are shorter or longer than that), according to the packet of the pregnancy test I took last time I had a freak-out.

Krysanthemum on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    naporeon wrote:
    A) Not necessarily. Most of the time that it's happened to me, though, it's been pretty obvious. All it takes to ruin a condom, however, are a couple well-placed microtraumas; you can't really feel those.

What do you mean about microtraumas? I've never experinced this, every time a condom has bust for me it's obviously bust. I thought that was just the way it is, like how when you prick a balloon you always get a big bust in the rubber, not a little pin hole. So I stopped worrying about tiny inperceptable holes.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I throw up many mornings, I and doctors do not know why. it comes and goes, I am certain I am not pregnet (the penis is a dead giveaway).

Seriously if she's that worried, take her to the doctors for a blood test, rather than an at home one, I mean if she's throwing up most mornigns she should see the doctor anyway right?

Blake T on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Chop Logic wrote:

C) I also told her not to freak out or anything, because her worrying and being stressed out will just make it late. She told me that this was a myth and just wasnt true, but I've heard much anecdotal evidence to the contrary. It is really just a myth?

Red for absolute bullshit. It isn't a myth. It has happened to me and many other people here.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wait a second, maybe our experience was atypical but when the missus was pregnant with our boy the morning sickness didn't start until long after it was very obvious she was pregnant (no period for a couple months is a bit of a giveaway, among other signs).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PoyndexterPoyndexter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wait a second, maybe our experience was atypical but when the missus was pregnant with our boy the morning sickness didn't start until long after it was very obvious she was pregnant (no period for a couple months is a bit of a giveaway, among other signs).

It's completely different for each woman. My mother started gettign sick the week I was conceived. My wife on the other hand never really got sick with either one of our children.

Poyndexter on
    ‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
  • Options
    Teh ErickaTeh Ericka Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I can only really comment on issue C.), because I have no experience elsewhere but...

C.) Stress absolutely impacts the menstrual cycle, just like the hormones of your friends/relatives can. There are a lot of factors here that make basing the "is she pregnant?" question on her period problematic. how old is she? a woman's cycle can be irregular up until her late 20's.

At any rate, I would say that she needs to take a pregnancy test. the results measure hormone levels, and can be effective very early on (there are even pregnancy tests formulated specifically for this purpose.)

Teh Ericka on
  • Options
    Werewolf GamerWerewolf Gamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I didn't get sick until I was 8 weeks pregnant. And even then I was just nauseated but never threw up. Although for me I was sick day and night (not really morning sickness).

We were trying for a child at the time so I didn't even know I was pregnant until I was 6 weeks along. (I just realized one day hey! I'm 2 weeks late on my period!)

However another sign to look for is sore nipples. When I was pregnant with my daughter my nipples got extremely sensitive and even wearing clothes over my breasts would hurt.

I would still try to relax. You guys can do a home pregnancy test or go see a doctor to confirm.

On a side note I have caught a stomach bug that lasted for a full week! I lost 10 pounds that week too. So it could also be a really nasty tummy bug too.

Werewolf Gamer on
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Damn I love this place. Thanks a lot guys. The last two mornings shes woken up fine so we figured it was probobly nothing so we'l just going to wait another few days or so to see what happens with her period.

Thanks a lot though for all your help.

Chop Logic on