As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

and now his [Overwatch Thread] is ended

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    [
    Gatsby wrote: »
    So I bought this and am installing it now on PC

Bnet tag is Gatsby#1290 for anyone interested.

I AM INTERESTED

But then one of you will have to play on laggy servers, and laggy FPS aint fun.

I'm so good it don't matter

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Help, I only meant to wake up to pee, I'm still super tired, I want to go back to bed, I have the day off I could totally go back to bed...

Hand, why are you logging into Overwatch? C'mon hand I'm tired...

Oh look we're in a match.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    McCree is now the only real character in the game that I wish I could play but I'm just not good with

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    my day 1 impressions of video game: i can't believe how strong every hero is if you know what you're doing. Junkrat is demo man on crack. Reinhardt is a god. Torbjorn is completely viable unless counter-picked

every person i touch its like "ok lets see how this goes" and it turns out they're both easy and good.

the only character i've played who isn't overtly amazing is Reaper but he has maybe the best ult in the universe so

the only way this game could be more perfect is if there was an addon to inject the SMNC commentators

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    McCree is now the only real character in the game that I wish I could play but I'm just not good with

Genji for me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

Listen, just, roll and fan the hammer a lot

You'll get there

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So...I tried genji last night. gotta ask.

Is his robotic body made of friggin 1-ply toilet paper?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So...I tried genji last night. gotta ask.

Is his robotic body made of friggin 1-ply toilet paper?

His survival is on speed and his damage reflect. With practice he is insanely good. You have to use wall climb a lot. Strike, flee, strike, flee, etc.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Good bunch of games tonight, Aus folks!

• Options
    I wish Reaper's voice changed with the Origins skin

At least take the post-processing off of it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    so about the party chat in this game

im not sure if it's the same on pc, but on ps4 you and a friend can join a game together but if one (or both) of you drop out of the game (even after its properly ended, not a ragequit) it kicks both people out of the party and the party has to be remade again

am i just dumb and doing it wrong? cause i had to switch to the psn party mode for team talk so that when i dropped out of a game to try to play with other people i at least wouldn't lose my group chat

still had to remake the party though

I had the same problem last night, I don't think there's a way around it, which is weird

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Hi.. hi.. hi

also, reaper is awesome. You can wraith form to safety and it stops mei from freezing you

And teleport is underrated, you can often bypass a sniper's lane and catch them off guard.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I thought Reaper was just ok until I had a 56 elimination game with him on Nepal.

Now I've turned to the die side

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Despite terrible lag, had a fun first few games with Vivixenne and Anzekay and I've already found a fave with Reinhardt

Yeah, definitely my fave so far too.

Play the brawl weekly mode and just charge everything and swing fire hammers constantly, it's a delight.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I kinda just don't like playing any support. I dunno, none of the 4 avaliable click with me.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I love Zenyatta, but he's just too squishy. A single Widowmaker means you're more or less forced to swap because she kills you like it's a joke, and Genji/Reaper walk all over you. Shame, cus he's a blast to play.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Noggin wrote: »
    Hi.. hi.. hi

also, reaper is awesome. You can wraith form to safety and it stops mei from freezing you

And teleport is underrated, you can often bypass a sniper's lane and catch them off guard.

Sorry...Sorry...Sorry....*follows your wraith, keeps spraying ice*

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »
    so about the party chat in this game

im not sure if it's the same on pc, but on ps4 you and a friend can join a game together but if one (or both) of you drop out of the game (even after its properly ended, not a ragequit) it kicks both people out of the party and the party has to be remade again

am i just dumb and doing it wrong? cause i had to switch to the psn party mode for team talk so that when i dropped out of a game to try to play with other people i at least wouldn't lose my group chat

still had to remake the party though

I had the same problem last night, I don't think there's a way around it, which is weird

It's super frustrating after playing a ton of Battlefront, which had an excellent party system

I assume they'll fix this sooner than later, though

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Been playing a bunch of Tracer, she's sooo fun, I need to get better at using detpack though it has a ridiculously small blast.... good for making Torbjorn sad at least.

Randomly had a game yesterday on Dorado where everyone immediately picked soldier 76, I did my civic duty and played Lucio and the cart never stopped. That's an unfair amount of healing.

• Options
    So somehow the only short I had not seen was the initial reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqnKB22pOC0

And this is the best one by far

If they were going for classic comic book superheroes, they completely nailed it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    My favorite overwatch shorts have been the ones that involve civilian kids, that one and the one with soldier 76

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    Hi.. hi.. hi

Similar thing happened with me. It was the Nepal map. Control of the point kept swinging back and forth, I switched to Reaper to try and get behind the other team when their Tracer throws her sticky bomb onto me. I'd already clicked the mouse and was surprised to see the bomb fall off when I disappeared.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    This is probably a stupid question

But having not watched any of the shorts why are the over watch people fighting each other

The intro cinematic makes it sound like they're supposed to be all uniting against something else? Like if you showed me the intro divorced from anything else I would assume the game was horde mode based

• Options

But having not watched any of the shorts why are the over watch people fighting each other

The intro cinematic makes it sound like they're supposed to be all uniting against something else? Like if you showed me the intro divorced from anything else I would assume the game was horde mode based

the 'threat' that winston says you need to band together against is insanely nebulous

I don't know if there has been more lore released as background but I have no idea what that is supposed to be about

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think the roster is meant to be split between good guys and bad/grey area guys

Like Reaper, Widowmaker, Junkrat, Roadhog, etc. and Winston, Tracer, 76, Pharah, and so on.

The game just doesn't enforce the different sides for obvious reasons

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

When I was first reading the character biographies I wondered if you had ever considered doing something like in Counter-Strike where you have Terrorists vs Counter-Terrorists. Maybe having Overwatch vs Talon?

[Michael Chu, Senior Game Designer at Blizzard:] In terms of the gameplay?

Yes – maybe having some heroes associated with one side and the others on the other – only picking from your faction in relation to the objective?

MC: If you look at a game like World Of Warcraft, the Horde/Alliance split is such a big deal and such a defining aspect of the game. But Overwatch, pretty much from the start, we didn’t want to restrict ourselves that way. Because the game is so much about having the flexibility to play all these heroes and finding all the ways they play well together or against each other. Because of that we decided that the gameplay of the Overwatch universe wouldn’t be bound by that.

Our story justification – what I usually tell people – is that I think of it as, it’s clearly not canonical, but I think of it as how in comic book stories sometimes Iron Man and Captain America fight each other. Maybe in this instance on this map they’re fighting – for some reason they have some ideological difference or something that’s bringing them against each other.

But I think ultimately it was important for the game that you were able to play whatever characters you want. Blizzard has this development philosophy which is ‘Gameplay first’ and this is definitely an example of where we’ve gone with that.

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It's like this game is just a mod for a fun 6v6 shoot em up based on a larger story based game. *crosses fingers*

• Options
    It's like this game is just a mod for a fun 6v6 shoot em up based on a larger story based game. *crosses fingers*

no this game is what they salvaged from a failed project that was a larger story based game

• Options
    I mean it is literally made from the remains of their scrapped superhero MMO

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Y'all are no fun.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well there is more than just Overwatch VS Talon
    Helix Security International
    Vishkar Corporation
    Junkers
    and I am sure they will flesh out the two corps since they both have good and bad to them

• Options

the 'threat' that winston says you need to band together against is insanely nebulous

I don't know if there has been more lore released as background but I have no idea what that is supposed to be about

Theres quite a bit of lore on the overwatch wiki site.

I think Winston is basically saying they need to show the world that heroes still exist. What i get is that nearly all of the 'heroes' use to be in overwatch, or the 'black' version of overwatch for dirty jobs 'blackwatch'. Overwatch was used during what they called the omec crisis, which from Pharah's comic suggests it was the advent of computer AI's becoming sentient, and several of them going insane. After destroying or at least entombing the AI's, Overwatch was disbanded and banned by the UN equivilent (It's a lot like Marvels Civil War movie)...Years later the world begins to destabilize further, nobody seems to be really doing anything about it and winston decides its time to at get them together again so they can try and symbolize fighting against the injustices of the world. Some of the overwatch members have gone rogue, become vigilianties or mercenaries..a few are on the other side of the fight...the bad guy equivilent of overwatch called Talon.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

When I was first reading the character biographies I wondered if you had ever considered doing something like in Counter-Strike where you have Terrorists vs Counter-Terrorists. Maybe having Overwatch vs Talon?

[Michael Chu, Senior Game Designer at Blizzard:] In terms of the gameplay?

Yes – maybe having some heroes associated with one side and the others on the other – only picking from your faction in relation to the objective?

MC: If you look at a game like World Of Warcraft, the Horde/Alliance split is such a big deal and such a defining aspect of the game. But Overwatch, pretty much from the start, we didn’t want to restrict ourselves that way. Because the game is so much about having the flexibility to play all these heroes and finding all the ways they play well together or against each other. Because of that we decided that the gameplay of the Overwatch universe wouldn’t be bound by that.

Our story justification – what I usually tell people – is that I think of it as, it’s clearly not canonical, but I think of it as how in comic book stories sometimes Iron Man and Captain America fight each other. Maybe in this instance on this map they’re fighting – for some reason they have some ideological difference or something that’s bringing them against each other.

But I think ultimately it was important for the game that you were able to play whatever characters you want. Blizzard has this development philosophy which is ‘Gameplay first’ and this is definitely an example of where we’ve gone with that.

Fair enough

I thought since the enemies were robots or something the idea was maybe that the enemy team was like robo clones of overwatchers but the explanation of "eh don't worry about it" suits me just fine

• Options
    Y'all are no fun.

I mean its fun to speculate about projects you'd like to see but in this case we explicitly know where this came from

a story based game is not forthcoming, at least not for years as they'd have to start over

• Options
    I really really want a good horde mode in this thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    As far as I can tell from the roster

Good Guys
    - Bastion (?)
    - D. Va
    - Hanzo
    - Lucio
    - Mei
    - Mercy
    - Pharah
    - Reinhardt
    - Tracer
    - Winston
    - Zarya
    - Zenyatta

Bad Guys
    - Genji (?)
    - Junkrat
    - Reaper
    - Roadhog
    - Widowmaker

Neutral?
    - McCree
    - Soldier 76
    - Symmetra
    - Torbjorn

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I mean in the Dragons short it flips the expectations on the whole Hanzo/Genji dynamic

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Genji is more of in the same side with Zenyatta or is free

This discussion has been closed.