As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plugging Small/Hidden hole in drywall

SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
So I have an old crappy house with an old crappy laundry room, and in getting a new washing machine, I can see that there's about a 2 by 3 inch hole in the sheetrock on the bottom left corner of the wall, where I can see the studs/framing. I would like to put in minimal effort, but also prevent rodents, bugs, and airflow through that hole.

Ideally I would cut more wall, square it up, do a california patch and put joint compound all over it. But this is behind a washing machine, and I'll never look at it. Is it a bad idea to get some sort of expanding foam and just squirt it inside the hole to create a seal? I don't know how hard it is to cut out that kind of foam if I wanted to fix this in the future if/when I sell the house.

PSN: Kurahoshi1

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    just buy a drywall patch, you can't tell the difference

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Bugs and rodents will chew right through that if they have a mind.

If you don't want to do a full patch right now, pack the hole tight with steel wool.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    This is a good job for wall Doctor. Pack the hole with wool like steel knitDan says and pop a wall Doctor patch over it. Take you 7 or 8 minutes. I've used them before, and they are good for patching areas you don't see. I don't like them for a living room, but for a laundry room I do.

zepherin on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    Steel wool? The stuff that is incredibly good at starting fires with a little bit of electricity or a spark? Someone is going to have to explain to me how this isn't one of the worst possible things to be stuffing into your walls.

handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    If you aren't putting it somewhere where it will be touching bare electrical wires, it will be fine. Rodents and bugs don't like to bite it (it's steel after all) and you won't have a problem with something chewing through the patch you just made.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Steel wool? The stuff that is incredibly good at starting fires with a little bit of electricity or a spark? Someone is going to have to explain to me how this isn't one of the worst possible things to be stuffing into your walls.
    It's something like this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaOzL2xaBmk

There isn't just rampant electricity running thru your walls, and if there is an electrical line where the hole is. He has bigger problems because rodents and bugs have likely chewed the shit out of it and it will need to be replaced and relocated.