As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    They get around it by changing, "Do you want this to happen?" to, "Do you want to stop this from happening?"

Also: it is done.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea, agree that hitting the X should mean DO NOT DO THE UPGRADE.

Again, this could have been mostly avoided with simple, equal size yes and no buttons, and not the social engineering crap they did to try to get people to upgrade.

Windows 10 is fantastic, how Microsoft is forcing upgrades to Windows 10 is not.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If they wanted to make everyone upgrade, they never should have presented it as an option. It should have updated automatically and it should have forced people to go through the downgrade procedure if they wanted to go back. They never should have called it a free upgrade, but an automatic update.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    If they wanted to make everyone upgrade, they never should have presented it as an option. It should have updated automatically and it should have forced people to go through the downgrade procedure if they wanted to go back. They never should have called it a free upgrade, but an automatic update.

That already is how it works by default. If a user installs Windows 7 or 8 and proceeds to take no further actions in configuring their system, the automatic installation of Windows 10 is inevitable.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

That already is how it works by default. If a user installs Windows 7 or 8 and proceeds to take no further actions in configuring their system, the automatic installation of Windows 10 is inevitable.

I mean, they should have described it in their marketing as "In two weeks Windows 10 is being rolled out as an update." and not as "In two weeks you can upgrade to your free copy of windows 10!". It shouldn't have had a custom dialogue thing at all either, it should have been presented as just another available update the way SP1 was. People would be less up-in-arms about it if they had done it that way, especially now that people are fairly used to other devices like their phones and game consoles getting major updates distributed automatically.

I mean, they should have described it in their marketing as "In two weeks Windows 10 is being rolled out as an update." and not as "In two weeks you can upgrade to your free copy of windows 10!". It shouldn't have had a custom dialogue thing at all either, it should have been presented as just another available update the way SP1 was. People would be less up-in-arms about it if they had done it that way, especially now that people are fairly used to other devices like their phones and game consoles getting major updates distributed automatically.

They're also fairly used to deliberately choosing to not use the latest version of Windows.

Though the extreme hatred of 8 is kind of benefiting Microsoft in a way now, probably more than they deserve. People talk about 10 like it fixes everything wrong with 8, when really everything wrong with 8 was either fixed by Windows 8.1 Update 1, fixed by easily available third-party utilities, or will never be fixed by 10 any time soon. It feels insane to see people struggle over whether to install 7 or 10 on a new system, without even thinking about 8.1.

yea......I don't know how you think that could be better than the current situation. While mobile OS's and OS X have much higher upgrade rates than Windows has had, Neither apple or Google (or the various OEM's) makes those major version upgrades mandatory. If you want to run a 3 version old copy of OS X, you are more than welcome to.

People don't upgrade windows because for the entire history of windows until now it has been a paid upgrade, and a very messy process and caused more issues than it solved. Now, Microsoft has fixed that, but when you have over a billion Windows PC's in the world, that's not a ship you turn on a dime. People forget that it wasn't that long ago that upgrading an Apple computer was a pretty big deal, and things broke more often. Going to yearly releases meant that less changed year to year and as a result upgrades became more successful, and more acceptable.

You think the backlash has been bad the way Microsoft has done it, I can't even imagine what would have happened had they made it basically a regular required update.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I have a Win7 laptop. Back then, I upgraded it to w8, then 8.1, then 10 as soon as it was officially out.

That machine got very very janky, those were all incremental, not wipe-out installs. So I said fuck it and reverted to the "out of the box" installation of Win7 included in the hdd. The machine got pretty damn fine again.

Last night though, it got stuck on a "configuring updates" --> "Failure configuring Windows Updates, Reverting Changes" loop... Could be Win 10 creeping over and screwing up.

Fortunately I have Mint running on a second partition. I do hope I don't have to nuke and reinstall.

But yeah, these Win 10 sneaky upgrade shenanigans are a big headache.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I have a Win7 laptop. Back then, I upgraded it to w8, then 8.1, then 10 as soon as it was officially out.

That machine got very very janky, those were all incremental, not wipe-out installs. So I said fuck it and reverted to the "out of the box" installation of Win7 included in the hdd. The machine got pretty damn fine again.

Last night though, it got stuck on a "configuring updates" --> "Failure configuring Windows Updates, Reverting Changes" loop... Could be Win 10 creeping over and screwing up.

Fortunately I have Mint running on a second partition. I do hope I don't have to nuke and reinstall.

But yeah, these Win 10 sneaky upgrade shenanigans are a big headache.

if you're on windows 7 on a fresh install from the recovery partition there are no parts of windows 10 on it. Windows update on Windows 7 is just that broken sometimes. I deal with this almost every day and on a fresh windows 7 install windows update will just randomly break on windows 7 if you're more than a couple months behind on updates.

I would suggest trying to get it into safemode, or if you can boot into the windows 7 recovery enviornment do a system restore. I've seen that fix this issue in the past.

It's been on w7 and received a billion updates since the refresh, and up to the loop, so it could have been the sneak upgrade thing. But it's kinda irrelevant.

Anyways, how do i do a safe mode boot on win7 again?
    I forgot after so many different versions.

camo_sig2.png
    It's been on w7 and received a billion updates since the refresh, and up to the loop, so it could have been the sneak upgrade thing. But it's kinda irrelevant.

well, if you had gotten the windows 10 update, it wouldn't look like a windows 7 update, the screens are very different.

Safemode in anything Windows Vista and newer is F8, just keep mashing it as soon as the computer finishes posting.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    If you upgraded to Windows 10 I'd probably just make a Win 10 usb, erase the drive and install fresh from there.

wunderbar wrote: »

well, if you had gotten the windows 10 update, it wouldn't look like a windows 7 update, the screens are very different.

Safemode in anything Windows Vista and newer is F8, just keep mashing it as soon as the computer finishes posting.
    oh, cool, thanks.

camo_sig2.png
  • NijaNija Registered User regular
    Stolen from Slashdot: Windows 10 nagware: You can't click X. Make a date OR ELSE
    Microsoft’s Windows 10 nagware campaign has entered a new phase, with options to evade or escape an upgrade vanishing.

Recently, Microsoft’s policy had been to throw up a dialogue box asking you whether you wanted to install Windows 10. If you clicked the red “X” to close the box – the tried-and-tested way to make dialogue boxes disappear without agreeing to do anything – Microsoft took that as permission for the upgrade to go ahead.

Now Microsoft is changing gears.

It has eliminated the option to reschedule a chosen upgrade time once you’ve confirmed you want the update – while also removing the red “X” close option from the screen, preventing you from backing out after agreeing to the install.

One Reg reader grabbed the below screenshot from a relative's PC on Windows 7.
    win_10_nagware_no_way_out.jpg

That's not heavy-handed at all.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    False Alarm.

But still...glad that GWX Control Panel is holding up well. I'd have a heart attack if I saw the upgrade window. x.x

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Curious deeds afoot, checking my task manager, GWX is still running, but I don't have the tray icon. Not sure how long I haven't had the icon, only just noticed it. Makes me wonder if I'm gonna end up waking up to 10 or something.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Curious deeds afoot, checking my task manager, GWX is still running, but I don't have the tray icon. Not sure how long I haven't had the icon, only just noticed it. Makes me wonder if I'm gonna end up waking up to 10 or something.

Seriously people.. if you don't want Win 10, download GWX control panel already.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Mugsley wrote: »
    And so we've "officially" begun W10 testing at work. This should be fun, considering we have some systems in our test labs (gas chromatographs and whatnot) still run by early Pentium machines. Who knows how long this rollout is going to take.

I'm still trying to get word if I'm due for a computer refresh this year, or not.

We rolled it on a few machines for brave users, and in some cases our Surface Pros it came preinstalled. Last week we had to roll back because we had most of them bluescreening a few times a day with a pointer reference error. Quite the hassle.

Nosf on
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So I've got a bit of an issue with my start menu in windows 10.

Normally, in the past, i've been able to open where the start menu programs are, and make new folders to things. Well now, it's not letting me.

I guess i should say, it's letting me make the folders, but it's not populating to the "All Apps" list in the start menu. If i delete a folder i made in the past, it will stick around, and attempting to launch the application or browse to the file location just turns up an error. Restarting the computer doesn't seem to fix this.

Does anyone have any idea what i could try to get this fixed? It's super annoying and bugging the hell out of me. I haven't had any major issues running W10 for the past 5 or 6 months, and now this little annoyance pops up.

edit: It seems to be working now. I know there are 2 different locations for this, one for all users, and one for your user, but neither would work. Looks like my user is now showing up the folders. weird...

edit 2: after letting me make 1 folder, it seems to not like me renaming it now. it seems that maybe after an app is installed/uninstalled it might refresh the list? i dont know.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    7vtzkz6lhvoy.jpg

What really annoys me is how most of the features that everyone has been complaining about are handled in a slightly more consumer-friendly way by Mac systems. Apparently being slightly worse than Apple is the bar that they're aiming for now, rather than for being much better.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    What really annoys me is how most of the features that everyone has been complaining about are handled in a slightly more consumer-friendly way by Mac systems. Apparently being slightly worse than Apple is the bar that they're aiming for now, rather than for being much better.

It's really, really easy when Apple's support is often hilariously shitty in Asia (and vice versa for any peripheral device you're foolish enough to plug into a Mac). It's particularly hilarious in Taiwan, where all of Apple's stuff is made, and hasn't been used since 1996.

Not sure what the excuse in North America is, where Apple's support is at its peak. Aside from, "Remember those useless smiling crash message Mac OS X has had for years? We have those now too!"

Synthesis on
    a new insider build for PC just hit, and this is one we've been waiting for: no new features, only bugfixes. That will indicate that the Anniversary update should now be pretty much feature complete ahead of release next month.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Is there a changelog? There are a handful of bugs I'd love to see fixed like.. last month.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    After July 29th you have to pay to update.I just got the "last call" notice from the upgrade nagger. I think it said July 29th was the last day for the free upgrade.

and I think my OG softcover keyboard died. keyboard isnt responding. Perhaps it is time for a pro 4...

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    After July 29th you have to pay to update.I just got the "last call" notice from the upgrade nagger. I think it said July 29th was the last day for the free upgrade.

and I think my OG softcover keyboard died. keyboard isnt responding. Perhaps it is time for a pro 4...

You probably already know, but the new keyboards are compatible SP3 as well as SP4, if you're on that generation of device.

If I weren't saving my pennies for a EVGA GTX 1080, I'd seriously consider replacing my work SP3's keyboard.

Oh, I still have my OG Surface Pro...

Mugsley wrote: »

key detail:
    The Seattle Times reports that Teri Goldstein, of Sausalito, California, sued Microsoft after a failed Windows 10 upgrade left her system performing poorly, prone to crashing, and reportedly unusable for multiple days. Given the general issues associated with performing in-place upgrades, even successful ones, it’s not surprising that some users would run into problems. Goldstein reached out to Microsoft customer service to attempt to resolve her issues, but filed suit against the company once it failed to resolve her problems. Her $10,000 figure reflected estimated lost compensation as well as the cost of a new system.

Microsoft had appealed the initial judgment but dropped that appeal last month. A spokesperson for the company told the Seattle Times that it denied any wrongdoing and had dropped the appeal to avoid the additional expense of further litigation.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    On the one hand, the terribleness of underhanded Win10 updates is known and rightly derided.

But on the other, the cost of replacing the entire system? God damn I wish I could bilk Microsoft 10k everytime Windows broke and required a reinstall.

The source article says it was her work computer, that's where the money loss comes into play. Though I imagine she probably fell into the category of scheduling confusers or something:
    The update, which she says she didn’t authorize, failed. Instead, the computer she uses to run her Sausalito, Calif., travel-agency business slowed to a crawl. It would crash, she says, and be unusable for days at a time.

Especially given she said this:
    “I had never heard of Windows 10,” Goldstein said. “Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to update.”

It pretty much passive-yes asks you. I forget the actual name of the sales tactic that it uses wherein you don't give a person an opportunity to say no, so much as put it in their hand.

Source

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm surprised Microsoft didn't try to fight it on principle. They can easily absorb the "additional expense of further litigation" but instead they've let a precedent be set for people who want to sue them in the future.

I wonder if this will cause any changes to the current Borg-like attitude they have regarding upgrades.

I imagine they'll just update the EULA to preclude whatever circumstance allowed this person to win? :P

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i imagine it cost them more than $10k in corporate lawyer moneys just to file the appeal then drop it in a way that denied culpability

Well, it looks like the irrational public hate for 8.1 and love for 10 has finally started kicking me in the shin. I need to replace my desktop, but it looks like a ton of manufacturers don't even sell Windows 8.1 consumer systems any more. I was hoping they'd hang on for at least a few years like they did for 7.

i imagine it cost them more than $10k in corporate lawyer moneys just to file the appeal then drop it in a way that denied culpability

I imagine an army of $10,000-lawsuits (for the sake of argument) is a preferable price than having to deal with the fallout of both another Windows XP legacy support period and the escalated environment of security breaches from people unwilling or unable to purposefully upgrade.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    If you buy from the OEM business lines you can get a machine with Win 7 Pro via downgrade rights from Win 10. I'm not sure how you'd upgrade to Win 8/8.1 as the upgrade to Win 10 is live, but there's probably a way if you can get a legit iso? And if unexpected updates is a concern it'd be good to have Win 10 Pro for whenever you need to upgrade, so you can kill unexpected updates via local security policy.

I have an OEM Win 7 Pro install on one of my laptops. I thought that if I upgraded to Win 10 I'd lose that license? Would it go to Win 10 Pro or vanilla win 10?

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    If you buy from the OEM business lines you can get a machine with Win 7 Pro via downgrade rights from Win 10. I'm not sure how you'd upgrade to Win 8/8.1 as the upgrade to Win 10 is live, but there's probably a way if you can get a legit iso? And if unexpected updates is a concern it'd be good to have Win 10 Pro for whenever you need to upgrade, so you can kill unexpected updates via local security policy.

I have no idea why someone who is avoiding Win10 would want to use 8.1.

I have an OEM Win 7 Pro install on one of my laptops. I thought that if I upgraded to Win 10 I'd lose that license? Would it go to Win 10 Pro or vanilla win 10?

if you have a pro sku of windows when you do the upgrade you get the pro sku of 10. And as for the license after, if you for whatever reason wanted to go back to 7 on that computer, you could. but you can't have 10 on that computer and then use that Win7 key somewhere else.