As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Programming] Mirror, mirror, on the wall, show the git diff for them all

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Shiny is sarcastic I thought

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Sad news: while fucking around with a custom power cable for the pi, I accidentally toasted it :(
    Happy news: ordered a replacement which will be more powerful :D

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    That didn't take long...

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Patent it!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Patent it!

I'm not the first, unfortunately. But I'm certainly having fun.

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    Patent it!

I'm not the first, unfortunately. But I'm certainly having fun.
    First to file!

steam_sig.png
  • [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    Hah, the only two threads I read have very similar titles now

• SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Anyone have experience with Navigator.sendBeacon in Chrome? Every time I send a beacon, Chrome immediately cancels it. The request never even hits the server, according to the server logs. The method itself returns `true` indicating that the request was queued, but then the Chrome dev tools show the request with "(canceled)" status.

Chrome's net-internals log says this:
    t=3105 [st=0] +REQUEST_ALIVE  [dt=3]
    t=3105 [st=0]    URL_REQUEST_DELEGATE  [dt=0]
    t=3105 [st=0]   +URL_REQUEST_START_JOB  [dt=3]
                     --> load_flags = 33024 (MAYBE_USER_GESTURE | VERIFY_EV_CERT)
                     --> method = "POST"
                     --> priority = "IDLE"
                     --> upload_id = "0"
                     --> url = "https://myserverhere/"
    t=3106 [st=1]      URL_REQUEST_DELEGATE  [dt=0]
    t=3106 [st=1]      HTTP_CACHE_CALLER_REQUEST_HEADERS
                       --> Cache-Control: max-age=0
                           Origin: https://myserverhere/
                           X-DevTools-Emulate-Network-Conditions-Client-Id: 807BC040-BCD8-445E-86EE-E0CE9BD90DB5
                           User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.63 Safari/537.36
                           Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundaryIwWYc69UmwMt6BQ8
                           Accept: */*
                           DNT: 1
                           Referer: https://myserverhere/
                           Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
                           Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8
                           Cookie: [515 bytes were stripped]
                       --> line = ""
    t=3106 [st=1]      HTTP_CACHE_GET_BACKEND  [dt=0]
    t=3106 [st=1]      URL_REQUEST_DELEGATE  [dt=0]
    t=3106 [st=1]     +HTTP_STREAM_REQUEST  [dt=1]
    t=3106 [st=1]        HTTP_STREAM_REQUEST_STARTED_JOB
                         --> source_dependency = 181777 (HTTP_STREAM_JOB)
    t=3107 [st=2]        HTTP_STREAM_REQUEST_BOUND_TO_JOB
                         --> source_dependency = 181777 (HTTP_STREAM_JOB)
    t=3107 [st=2]     -HTTP_STREAM_REQUEST
    t=3108 [st=3]      CANCELLED
    t=3108 [st=3]   -URL_REQUEST_START_JOB
                     --> net_error = -3 (ERR_ABORTED)
    t=3108 [st=3]    URL_REQUEST_DELEGATE  [dt=0]
    t=3108 [st=3] -REQUEST_ALIVE

No apparent reason, just "CANCELLED". At first I thought it was my adblocker, but I disabled that and I get the same behaviour. I've tried with an empty request body (no second argument), with just a plain empty FormData, and with a FormData that has some values. Nothing works.

What the hell?

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
    True to standard programming thread form, I solved it almost immediately after posting that.

Apparently Chrome will refuse to send beacons over HTTPS if the certificate can't be verified, even if the user has already accepted the cert for that domain. My development server doesn't have a real certificate, so, there's the problem. It works fine if I test it on HTTP instead.

borb_sig.png
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Gave a talk about React at my local javascript meetup last night!

125+ people showed up and i talked for around 70 minutes, so i had a 5 minute break in there.

Id done plenty of business meeting room talks and pitches in my life, but that was the first time id ever done anything like that to a crowd so big.

If anyone is interested at all:

Part 1 https://youtu.be/0drHpUTL19Q
    Part 2 https://youtu.be/OshJulEq2jg

No one threw trash at me, so im happy with it.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm ever so slowly learning the ins and outs of this React code base.

Current task is to implement a textbox that filters shown items. Managed to get the actual filter bit working, now I just need to figure out how to tell everything but the filtered items to go hide in a bush.

edited May 2016
    probably some structure like
    <ParentComponent>
       <TextBoxInputComponent />
       <FilteredListComponent />
    </ParentComponent>

Maybe TextBoxInputComponent grabs the input, sends it up to ParentComponent, which then filters to get new list, which ParentComponent then sends the filtered list down as props to FilteredListComponent which renders however you want.

Dont think of it as hiding away stuff, think of it as rendering a new list based off the new list provided by the filter

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    What problem does the ParentComponent solve in the solution you propose?

Edit: Uuuh, that came out like....aggressive. So....that wasn't the intention. I am genuinely asking.

zeeny on
    ParentComponent may not be needed if using something like Redux or whatever. Though, even Redux suggests using Container components to wrap display components.

If you are using reacts setState on a component and want to use that state in some way to influence another component that isnt a child/grandchild/etc., you need to pass that state up to the nearest common parent. So then the parent can pass down to its children.

Redux/Flux/MobX let you sidestep this process, but i just wanted to show the simplest possible way without using external libs.

rotate.jpg
    It decouples the other two. That's the main benefit I can see.

borb_sig.png
    Nogs wrote: »
    ParentComponent may not be needed if using something like Redux or whatever. Though, even Redux suggests using Container components to wrap display components.

If you are using reacts setState on a component and want to use that state in some way to influence another component that isnt a child/grandchild/etc., you need to pass that state up to the nearest common parent. So then the parent can pass down to its children.

Redux/Flux/MobX let you sidestep this process, but i just wanted to show the simplest possible way without using external libs.

Thanks! I quiet agree with that!

I'll post some code when I get home, now it's almost weekend o'clock.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Also it makes you able to reuse the filter components if they receive a general list and filter to render.

That might be reused in say three different places in your data structure and you can use the container to bind to the specific one. You can use the container to transform the data into something compatible as well

OrokosPA.png
    Now that I'm not on the phone, let me try to illustrate. This is useful (and imo should be used) even with Redux, I'll show why I think that.

This is just off the top of my head so it's not necessarily complete code.
    class FilterInput extends React.Component {
      static propTypes = {
        onChange: PropTypes.func
      }
      render() {
        // show a text box and pass the value back up to the parent via the callback
      }
    }

class FilteredGridView extends React.Component {
      static propTypes = {
        filterText: PropTypes.string,
        fields: PropTypes.arrayOf(PropTypes.string),
        data: PropTypes.arrayOf(PropTypes.object))
      }
      render() {
        // show a grid view with the specified fields and extract those fields from the data list
        // data is an array of rows, each row is an object and columns are extracted from the keys based on fields prop
        // if filterText is not null, only show rows that have a column that string matches filterText
      }
    }

Two useful and reusable UI components. To use them, you make containers. Here's the redux way:
    @connect((state) => {
      return {
        users: state.users
      };
    })
    class UserList extends React.Component {
      render() {
        return <div>
          <FilterInput onChange={(filterText) => this.setState({filterText})}/>
          <FilteredGridView filterText={this.state.filterText} fields={['username', 'lastname', 'firstname', 'email']} data={this.props.users}/>
        </div>;
      }
    }

Now I can control the presentation of those of course in the container, as I might want to rearrange how they look to make a nice reusable filterable panel for my UI. The container can represent that or if it gets more complicated I can use more intermediate components. The container is responsible for the data bindings, so handling the filterText state and binding into the data source (redux connect here).

Need a new panel? No prob!
    @connect((state) => {
      return {
        logs: state.logs.latest.map((logtext) => ({text: logtext}))
      };
    })
    class LogEntries extends React.Component {
      render() {
        return <div>
          <FilterInput onChange={(filterText) => this.setState({filterText})}/>
          <FilteredGridView filterText={this.state.filterText} fields={['text']} data={this.props.logs}/>
        </div>;
      }
    }

If you have a common UI arrangement for the gridview and the input field, you could pull that out into another component so that you don't repeat yourself, separating the data part that the container is responsible for from the arrangement of the UI and holding of the state for the text filter.

A little contrived but this shows how you can have different sources of data in different kinds of formats (objects versus strings) and you can use the container to (a) specify the data source and (b) massage it into what you need.

OrokosPA.png
    Yeah, that's totally different to how it works here. :rotate: Good read though, saving that for future analysis and experimentation. Not entirely impossible that I'll get a chance to rewrite stuff to use that method instead.

Aww yiss, got it working! (it still needs translation strings and some styling)

ta0j0f4a0llg.png

And then I can filter items:

dnugxwe1vfhi.png

Needs some more work to maybe hide categories that don't have any items displayed and maybe a button to clear the filter, but hey, it works!

22eoywdcq3sx.png

blargh, Bootstrap.

Hmm, "NO_TRANSLATION_FOUND", eh? On that topic...

How do you folks in the modern JavaScript single-page app realm generally handle internationalization? Do you just put all of your translations in a big JSON file that gets bundled with the app? Do you use some other format? Do you serve the translations from a database? Do you have separate files per language? Do you leave them unbundled and then load only the one you need from the server? What do you use for keys in the map? Do you have a naming convention for those, or do you just use the literal English (or whatever native language) string as the key? Do you access the map as a plain object, or do you call a function to index it? What is your policy on translation reuse? If there's a "Confirm" button on two different dialogs, is that two different entries in the translation map, or are they shared? How do you work with your translators? Do you give them the location and context of each entry, or do they figure that out on their own? How do they contribute translations? Plain old email correspondence? Some kind of basic web interface? Direct source control access? When the user changes language preference, how do you handle that? Full page reload? If not, how do you enforce coding practices that avoid holding onto references to the previous language?

I have spent years trying to find the right answers to questions like these. Internationalization seems to be a seriously under-represented topic in web apps. I have found no one -- no blog post, no forum thread, no errant tweet -- willing to offer a comprehensive prescription of How It Should Be Done And Why.

borb_sig.png
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    We use Ember, and a homebrew framework, depending on which bits of code we're in. Ember has ember-i18n, which lets you do Ember.I18n.t("savedialog.title") sort of thing in code, and {{t "printscreen.blah.message"}} in templates, and it then looks those up in a big JSON file which maps string name to string value as appropriate, and it loads those up at runtime from JSON files that get built in.

Homebrew framework is different, we do FRAMEWORK.localize("English String Here") in code, and some sort of tagging I forget right now in HTML, and our framework then does the translation that way; again, one JSON file for each language, but this time the keys are the english strings. (so fallthrough is easier in the case where we don't have a translation yet).

(in both cases you need to do a page reload to switch languages; we get the user's preferred language as best we can, which is frustratingly inconsistent depending on OS/browser, it turns out -- IE needs server-side support to detect it properly, Chrome has its own settings which override the OS, Safari uses the OS's preferences, etc)

Now, where do the translations come from? The B+I folks have written scripts to extract the strings from code/HBS/HTML as necessary, the strings then get looked up against our corporate dictionary of Everything-We've-Ever-Had-Translated, and it then generates the appropriate dictionaries in the appropriate format at build time. (with gaps where we don't have a string translated yet).

Strings that aren't translated go into a list of things-to-be-translated, every so often those go to the translators and when they come back, get re-added into the master dictionaries, and then the next time a build happens the per-language dictionaries that ship with the apps are more filled out. (I don't know how that bit of things work, sorry; I think it depends on which translation company we're using. I do know that we're meant to give context for the strings, though. "Grade" can mean "grade 1" -vs- "grade 10", or "A grade" -vs- "E grade", or even "20% grade" (if it's a hill), so we need to provide extra info as the translation varies.

The other thing to remember is that if your UI has any sort of layout to think about, you need to remember to allow (roughly) twice as much room as you think you need, because English is a fairly concise language compared to others. In some cases it's worse -- in one particular bit of ui, "On" in English is best translated into Spanish as "Activado", which really did _not_ fit in the same space..

(is this How It Should Be Done? I don't know if it's the best answer, but it works out pretty well for us; but we also have an internal webapp we use to manage getting strings edited by the documentation folks to match our corporate style guide for capitalisation, email -vs- e-mail, that sort of thing, so we have a pipeline for UI strings already in place and translation just sits at the far end of that.)

djmitchella on
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Oh, and don't forget pluralization, which is its own exciting ball of fun; it's not just "1 cat" -vs- ">1 cats" as much as you might hope:

http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/supplemental/language_plural_rules.html

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    There's also languages with gendered articles too!
    "un gato" means one cat, but "una manzana" means one apple.

Do you guys want to do a fun exercise? You do a working js demo on as described in react, i do it in reagent. We compare code. I can pop in irc for that too;
    Saeris wrote: »
    Hmm, "NO_TRANSLATION_FOUND", eh? On that topic...

How do you folks in the modern JavaScript single-page app realm generally handle internationalization? Do you just put all of your translations in a big JSON file that gets bundled with the app? Do you use some other format? Do you serve the translations from a database? Do you have separate files per language? Do you leave them unbundled and then load only the one you need from the server? What do you use for keys in the map? Do you have a naming convention for those, or do you just use the literal English (or whatever native language) string as the key? Do you access the map as a plain object, or do you call a function to index it? What is your policy on translation reuse? If there's a "Confirm" button on two different dialogs, is that two different entries in the translation map, or are they shared? How do you work with your translators? Do you give them the location and context of each entry, or do they figure that out on their own? How do they contribute translations? Plain old email correspondence? Some kind of basic web interface? Direct source control access? When the user changes language preference, how do you handle that? Full page reload? If not, how do you enforce coding practices that avoid holding onto references to the previous language?

I have spent years trying to find the right answers to questions like these. Internationalization seems to be a seriously under-represented topic in web apps. I have found no one -- no blog post, no forum thread, no errant tweet -- willing to offer a comprehensive prescription of How It Should Be Done And Why.

You use gettext adapter for whatever is your framework of choice(yes, there is one). You bundle translations as json during build process, if translators are tech saavy, poedit -> weblate(or other) -> git hook. If not, build an interface that does the same. It's a couple of day's work.

edited May 2016
    Okay, now I have a weird one I don't understand.

I have a text input with onChange={this.onFilterChange}. I then did a debug log to check the input length, to see if the reset button should be enabled or not:
    onFilterChange: function(e) {
      var textFilter = e.target.value;
      console.log("filter length: " + textFilter.length);
      this.props.onChange(textFilter);
    }

It logs 1, 2, 3 etc when I type, and count down again when I hit backspace. But it seems to not fire when I reach zero characters in the input field, it never logs "length: 0". What's up with that, and how should I do it to properly check it so I can toggle the reset button state?

edit: further experimenting. Tried OnKeyPress/OnKeyDown, but then the counter is one step behind the state and shows 0 with one char in the field etc and doesn't fire at all on backspace.

Echo on
    Not entirely sure what I did, but I got it working now. I can probably still clean this up a bit.

I have the textFilter state in the component for ease of access, but it's actually this.props.internalState.searchState that gets set on the onChange call, and handles the actual filtering.
    var SidebarSearchField = React.createClass({
      getInitialState: function() {
        return ({textFilter: "", resetIsDisabled: true})
      },
      componentWillMount: function() {
        // Set searchState value from initial state so it's not undefined when mounting
        this.props.onChange(this.state.textFilter);
      },
        this.setState({textFilter: textFilter});

if (textFilter.length > 0) {
          this.setState({resetIsDisabled: false});
        } else {
          this.setState({resetIsDisabled: true});
        }

this.props.onChange(textFilter);
      },
      resetFilter: function() {
        this.setState({textFilter: "", resetIsDisabled: true});
        this.props.onChange("");
      },
      render: function() {
        return (
          <div className="group-tile sidebar-search-field input-group input-group-sm">
            <input type="text" className="form-control"
              placeholder={this.props.getTranslation("SidebarFilterPlaceholder")}
              value={this.state.textFilter}
              onChange={this.onFilterChange}/>
            <span className="input-group-btn">
              <button className="btn" type="button"
                onClick={this.resetFilter}
                disabled={this.state.resetIsDisabled}>
                <span className="glyphicon glyphicon-eye-open"></span>
              </button>
            </span>
          </div>
        )
      }
    });

edited May 2016
    I'm not sure how React maps the onChange callback to the native DOM, but generally you'd use the input event for exactly that purpose. It has the advantage of firing only when the input actually changes, not just on any key press.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
    edited May 2016
    React docs:
    For <input> and <textarea>, onChange supersedes — and should generally be used instead of — the DOM's built-in oninput event handler.

So that's what I went with.

edit: though I do call the prop "onChange" in the component as well, guess I'll rename that to avoid confusion.

Echo on
    onChange is the correct thing to use, it would fire on the final backspace.

You will have some problems though with your onFilterChange, since you call setState more than once in the tick. This can lead to lost updates since depending on ticks and the event loop, you'll overwrite/lose the change.

What you could do is make it like:
    this.setState({textFilter: textFilter, resetIsDisabled: textFilter.length === 0});

but what I would do is get rid of resetIsDisabled, because it is entirely derived from state you already have. Try to keep only the state that is necessary. You would just write this in your render:
    disabled={this.state.textFilter.length === 0}

OrokosPA.png
    :+1: for derived state.

borb_sig.png
    edited May 2016
    Infidel wrote: »
    You will have some problems though with your onFilterChange, since you call setState more than once in the tick. This can lead to lost updates since depending on ticks and the event loop, you'll overwrite/lose the change.

Yeah, I refactored that bit just before pushing it. Marvel at how jsbeautify formats ternaries!
        var isDisabled = (textFilter.length > 0)
          ? false
          : true;

this.setState({textFilter: textFilter, resetIsDisabled: isDisabled});
        this.props.onFilterChange(textFilter);
      },

Infidel wrote: »
    but what I would do is get rid of resetIsDisabled, because it is entirely derived from state you already have. Try to keep only the state that is necessary. You would just write this in your render:
    disabled={this.state.textFilter.length === 0}

Yeah, I like that. *fixes*

Echo on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I've picked up my static site generator project again. Doing some refactoring, finally got the MDL styles to look decent in my templates.

Writing a static site generator is fun, everyone should do it.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited May 2016
    Alright, more React stuff. I want to change a tooltip based on whether a different overlay is open or not. This was originally just the one OverlayTrigger on a button for a popover, so I stuck the tooltip OverlayTrigger inside that.

Does OverlayTrigger not have onEnter/Exit events? I'm trying to figure out where to detect if the popover is open or not. Or do I need a custom Overlay for that?

edit: I did this just to see when stuff fires. And... it all fires when the OverlayTrigger is mounting, and nothing whatsoever when toggling the actual overlay.
    <OverlayTrigger trigger="click" placement="bottom"
      onEnter={console.log("Enter")}
      onEntering={console.log("Entering")}
      onEntered={console.log("Entered")}
      onExit={console.log("Exit")}
      onExiting={console.log("Exiting")}
      onExited={console.log("Exited")}
      overlay={overlay}>
      <OverlayTrigger placement="top" overlay={tooltip}>
        {historyButton}
      </OverlayTrigger>
    </OverlayTrigger>

edit: and for whatever reason the events started firing properly now. :rotate:

Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Alright, more React stuff. I want to change a tooltip based on whether a different overlay is open or not. This was originally just the one OverlayTrigger on a button for a popover, so I stuck the tooltip OverlayTrigger inside that.

Does OverlayTrigger not have onEnter/Exit events? I'm trying to figure out where to detect if the popover is open or not. Or do I need a custom Overlay for that?

edit: I did this just to see when stuff fires. And... it all fires when the OverlayTrigger is mounting, and nothing whatsoever when toggling the actual overlay.
    <OverlayTrigger trigger="click" placement="bottom"
      onEnter={console.log("Enter")}
      onEntering={console.log("Entering")}
      onEntered={console.log("Entered")}
      onExit={console.log("Exit")}
      onExiting={console.log("Exiting")}
      onExited={console.log("Exited")}
      overlay={overlay}>
      <OverlayTrigger placement="top" overlay={tooltip}>
        {historyButton}
      </OverlayTrigger>
    </OverlayTrigger>

edit: and for whatever reason the events started firing properly now. :rotate:

When you have attr={expression} it is evaluating that expression and assigning it.

So if you call a function, it will do that while mounting, and use the result of that function as the assignment.

If you passed it just {console.log} then it would call it with whatever arguments, since the expression evaluates to a function.

What you want with your intention here is a wrapper function, {() => console.log('Enter')} and so on. That technically returns the result of console.log (which you don't care about) but the return doesn't do anything anyway.

OrokosPA.png
    Yeah, that's one of those JS things I just haven't quite gotten used to yet. Getting better at not tripping on it though.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    http://groups.csail.mit.edu/uid/mass-edit/

Ran across this site about half a week ago. Holy shit is it ever useful.

It feels weird to use anonymous types in C#, but damn if it isn't handy for making quick JSON objects.

This discussion has been closed.