As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

1585960616264»

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    LCDXX wrote: »
    templewulf - the squad command view got dropped at the last minute. All you have is the D-pad squad commands now. And you can't do squad commands in "pause" anymore.

Edit: nor can you command units individually - they run around as a pair when given a squad command with the d-pad.
    God damn it. I was really looking forward to that part. What do you think the chances are of it being patched back in through DLC?

As was clarified above, while you can't give move orders or tell them exactly what targets to attack with their standard weapons individually, the ability to pause and tell them what powers to use on what targets is still there. So it's not like you can only give them orders outside of the pause menu and can only tell them where to move.

The problem is that I can't always get them to move where I want. In one instance, I was fighting the
    Geth Armature boss fight at the dig station whatever
    , and somehow some Geth got to our flanks. I knew what I wanted Wrex to do, but I couldn't point to it to order him to move there. I couldn't move out of cover momentarily to issue the order, because
    The Geth Armature kills you in one shot

You can also tell them what enemy to attack (right on the dpad), but you can't assign different targets for each squadmate. In general, I have them target the closest enemy while I snipe away on the stronger brutes in the back.

It's not a dealbreaker, since you still get more control than you get from R6:Vegas, which I loved. I just thought it would be great if they gave you the option.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Great success!

HAHA.jpg

Location and Store, or GTFO.

Also, Congrats! :D

Houn on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Copypasta:

West Palm Beach, Florida

K-Mart

Slightly smelly, overweight cashier named fredy (with teenstache)

didn't even mention the "DO NOT FUCKING SELL THIS, JESUS!" sticker

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Why oh why do the KMarts on the West Coast not sell this, while the East Coast KMarts are STILL effing up?

Just lift the street date already. It's over.

Houn on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I need to say that after Mass Effect, everything else is dull and pales in comparison. It's like going from color to black and white. I beat it and I have no will to play anything other than Mass Effect again.

I think my character this time will be female. I made her but haven't played much of her yet, since I've been debating her or carrying over my previous character to get him maxed out to 60. I think I'll go with Jane, though, with her scars and black haired tied back.

You can make a really evil looking male character, but the voice just doesn't fit for me. When I hear the voice, I picture default Shepard. The only thing is, the male Shepard's Renegade voice choices don't sound evil enough, at least not compared to the female version's. The female Shepard sounds believably pissed off with the Renegade choices, while male Shepard sounds tamer.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone who lives in SoCal around the Long Beach area ATTEENTNTINOPN ATTENTION EATNTTNENTION
    I FOUND A PLACE BREAKING RELEASE TOMORROW. PM ME FOR DETAILS HOLY CRAP! it isnt a major retailer.

Smashism on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    Man, I need to say that after Mass Effect, everything else is dull and pales in comparison. It's like going from color to black and white. I beat it and I have no will to play anything other than Mass Effect again.

I think my character this time will be female. I made her but haven't played much of her yet, since I've been debating her or carrying over my previous character to get him maxed out to 60. I think I'll go with Jane, though, with her scars and black haired tied back.

You can make a really evil looking male character, but the voice just doesn't fit for me. When I hear the voice, I picture default Shepard. The only thing is, the male Shepard's Renegade voice choices don't sound evil enough, at least not compared to the female version's. The female Shepard sounds believably pissed off with the Renegade choices, while male Shepard sounds tamer.

That's because Jennifer Hale is a Goddess, while whats-his-face doesn't matter to anyone but himself.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just for the record, this thread is spreading a whole lot of joy around the Edmonton area right now. After the long hours and hard decisions and working for three days to fix one damn texture bug only to have that entire hallway cut anyway, hearing people say that they like the game is really really kickass.

takyris on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    takyris wrote: »
    Just for the record, this thread is spreading a whole lot of joy around the Edmonton area right now. After the long hours and hard decisions and working for three days to fix one damn texture bug only to have that entire hallway cut anyway, hearing people say that they like the game is really really kickass.

I have yet to receive a copy of the game, but I am so very much looking forward to playing it. It's really looks to be a fantastic experience that few companies are interested in producing nowadays. Hats off.

devoir on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

You realize there are so many people that want to have sex with bioware team right

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Well, Bioware does their job as well or better than anyone in the business, and are role models. I had no real doubt that the game would be good... Though it'll be some time before I get to play it myself.

They deserve props anyway.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

You realize there are so many people that want to have sex with bioware team right

Hey I'd go gay for Chris.

And you can tell him that. So gay.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    re: Not having games yet: No shit. We don't have the games yet. The last time I got to play it was in June, before my wife went into labor. When I came back, I wasn't needed any longer (I'm a writer, and by mid-July, the writers were free to move on), and I got tossed over to a different project (and didn't get to take my devkit with me). So, person who liked the Hostile Takeover plot? Yeah, you're playing that before the guy who wrote it got to play it. (I really want to put a smiley there, but I have no frelling idea what smiley to use. How do you convey congratulatory rage?)

Also, I passed word to the guy who wrote "I Remember Me". He needed a pick-me-up, and I think you just made his day. :)

takyris on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »

Hey I'd go gay for Chris.

And you can tell him that. So gay.

I might give a handjob to Dave Gaider.

But then we would pretend it never happened and go to a football game.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

That sucks, man. But you can take solace in the fact that you're making a lot of people very happy this month, right? That's an awesome thing to have done.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    THF13THF13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Going to try searching for a copy tomorrow, hoping they got some over the weekend and have it stocked on tuesday. Trying k-marts, targets, toys r us and best buy. Anywhere else people know of that are selling it?

THF13 on
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was told today by a kmart employee the game comes out on the 12th....guess where I am going first thing tomorrow.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was told today by a kmart employee the game comes out on the 12th....guess where I am going first thing tomorrow.

Location needed.

NOW.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    re: Not having games yet: No shit. We don't have the games yet. The last time I got to play it was in June, before my wife went into labor. When I came back, I wasn't needed any longer (I'm a writer, and by mid-July, the writers were free to move on), and I got tossed over to a different project (and didn't get to take my devkit with me). So, person who liked the Hostile Takeover plot? Yeah, you're playing that before the guy who wrote it got to play it. (I really want to put a smiley there, but I have no frelling idea what smiley to use. How do you convey congratulatory rage?)

Also, I passed word to the guy who wrote "I Remember Me". He needed a pick-me-up, and I think you just made his day. :)

Tell him, from me, that I now have the Completionist achievement, as well as Quarian and Soldier Ally, meaning I've played through a crapload of the game, and "I Remember Me" still stands out as not only the best-written of the sidequests, but goddamn gut-wrenching when you fail (even if you canreload and try again).

Hostile Takeover is among my favorites because Helena Blake is just a damn interesting character in her own way. Really enjoyed that one and the multitude of options involved at the end. Reloaded and tried all kinds of different endings to see the dialogue.

My third favorite is probably the one I just finished. Don't remember the title offhand but I went to negotiate with some interstellar Warlord and he spent the whole time talking down to me. My options were either kiss his ass or blow his head off. I went the route that involved the most gunfire.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's getting awfully spoilerish in here...

C'mon, guys, tag EVERYTHING that has to do with the plot, no matter how vague. Not all of us live in states with average IQs lower than earthworms.

Houn on
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Location needed.

NOW.

Its in the middle of Iowa. PM me if thats anywhere near you.

EDIT--He said the 13th....not the 12th

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Tell him, from me, that I now have the Completionist achievement, as well as Quarian and Soldier Ally, meaning I've played through a crapload of the game, and "I Remember Me" still stands out as:
    not only the best-written of the sidequests, but goddamn gut-wrenching when you fail (even if you canreload and try again).

Kickass. Will do:
    Gut-wrenching was what he was going for.
    Hostile Takeover is among my favorites because:
    Helena Blake is just a damn interesting character in her own way. Really enjoyed that one and the multitude of options involved at the end. Reloaded and tried all kinds of different endings to see the dialogue.

I enjoyed writing that one:
    The writers were kicking around ideas for one of your basic "crimelord who sends you after other crimelords" plots, and we were trying to figure out how to make it unique, and then one of us said, "Hey, what if you were sent to kill those people and then the original quest giver doesn't betray you?" We all looked at each other and went, "Yeah, wouldn't expect that from one of our games."

And while I can't say this about everything, that plot is just fucking made by the voice actor. I wrote "refined British-type woman" and hoped it would turn out well, and she just nailed it.

(Unlike other stuff I wrote. Did you play the plot with the pregnant woman arguing with her brother in law?
    Man, I loved that plot. I was like, "Yeah, this is a sensitive and gentle portrayal of people in turmoil, and it raises important issues!", and then the voice actor sort of went to 11 on the emo and it reads like bad soap opera. Um. I should probably be diplomatically not saying that, but really... I'm new to BioWare (this is my first shipped game), and I might have botched the VO comments.
    My third favorite is probably the one I just finished. Shepard Unleashed:
    Don't remember the title offhand but I went to negotiate with some interstellar Warlord and he spent the whole time talking down to me. My options were either kiss his ass or blow his head off. I went the route that involved the most gunfire.

Playing Renegade, huh? :)
    I wrote that one, too. (You've just pinged about half the stuff I wrote for the game. I was a writer on another project, and I came in to kind of pinch-hit when one of the main writers threw his back out and was out of work for two months. So every romance, every major world, the critpath... yeah, none of that is me. I got to write the tiny stuff, and there's a way in which that was fantastic, because once you get over the ego-bruising of not having a planet of your very own, you realize that those dinky plots have a lot of freedom, and you can get away with stuff you'd never be able to do in the critpath.)

That plot unlocks when you hit a certain Renegade level. As I recall, the lead writer gave me very specific instructions on that plot. I was asked to do my damnedest to write a plot in which it was technically possible to get out of it without violence, no persuades necessary, no special skill... but which nobody would ever get through without gunning the guy down. The tech designer who implemented that plot told me over lunch that even when he was playtesting it specifically to make sure that the peaceful ending worked, he gave in and killed the guy the first time he tried to test it. I think it was when the warlord asked him to say "Please."

Anyway, glad you're liking it. I can't wait to see how combat feels. (After playing it at 5 FPS with crashes every time you activated a biotic power, I'm pretty sure that anything is gonna be an improvement, but I'm still curious...)

takyris on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm seriously hoping that I see some boxes come into my TRU tonight, I'm pretty sure my boss will let me take one home if that's the case.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    could somebody lock this please

we have a new thread

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=41240

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Whoops, totally thought this was the other thread

(However it wasn't me that necro'd!)

Zenitram on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Takyris, I'm coming over to visit you tonight. Let's go for drinks at the Lion's Head.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just saw the lesbian sex video and...there's nothing. It's less explicit than Fable's "lovemaking" scene.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
This discussion has been closed.