As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The USA Presidential Election Thread: Bad Hair Day

19495969798100»

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hillary isn't getting indicted. Good lord there were no laws broken, if she had the Derpghazi committee would have been screaming to high heaven about it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Ardent wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    Honestly? I'll be back on Tuesday to gloat.

so if you're wrong will you just not show up
    No, I am comfortable with the idea that I can be wrong.

But I also know I am not on this. The question isn't whether there will be grounds to indict. The question is whether the Attorney General will opt to indict after receiving the recommendation.

...on what grounds?
    What I do for a living.

Cool. I'm sure it's a one to one comparison.

Holy shit, the Secretary of State posts here!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man I'd hope John Kerry wouldn't post here, I said so many mean things, so many.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Zoel wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Well, there is also the problem that the Cold War was one of the dumbest foreign policoy paradigms humanity had ever seen, and then there was that bit later where we were actively terrible at it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the cold war was way better than the balance of powers prior to world war I.

The Cold War began as an understandable reaction to the Soviet Union's decision to keep Eastern Europe hostage against another European invasion. NATO needed to happen. We did good by the countries we occupied in the aftermath of World War II, and we thought that was a model that could be systematized and exported to every conflict.

The Cold War morphed into a deeply hypocritical war of attrition against people who were unhappy about being colonial subjects or having to abide by treaties negotiated at the point of a European gun in another era. The common thread in American foreign policy in that era is a series of stupid/evil/ignorant decisions rooted in an ideology that saw the world as a black and white confrontation.

Like, there's an alternative history where JFK's policy in the Suez Crisis became the template for American relations in the post-WWII era, and we are now beloved around the globe for peacefully and fairly overseeing the dismantling of colonialism. Cold War politics ensured that never happened.

I'm not saying the ideology of the cold war was perfect or heartwarming, but it is one of the least violent periods in human history.

Writing it off as one of the dumbest foreign policy paradigms humanity has ever seen is a hard sell.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Also, indicting the front runner for the democratic nomination as the culmination of a republican lead witch hunt would be absolutely fucking awful optics for the right. I doubt highly the American people would be falling all over themselves to vote for a party that would be seen as trying to rig a presidential election with minor legal technicalities.

It would be Obama's DOJ doing the indicting though

I don't think the GOP had much to do with the oversight investigation that put out the report this week

Obama can't really make the DOJ do or don't do anything when it comes to that sort of thing

just ask Nixon!

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
This discussion has been closed.