As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You'll die again and again, again and again, and so on. Dark Souls

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Many thanks @Fearghaill
    Good times, good trades
    Also, thanks for the pro strat for Gun Deer

I made my quality character in pretty good time. It's hard to get blonde hair out of the character creator. I gave up.

Started as a knight.

DouglasDanger on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    knight is real good for quality. and the knight starting gear is real good too. get yourself a refined zwiehander and you can fight the world.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    On PC you can get blond hair if you crank up your settings

It seems the base texture is very dark but it gets lighter when different shaders are applied

edited May 2016
    you can get blonde on ps4 as well, it's jsut kind of a lot of guess work because the lighting int he character creator isn't good.

edit: example:

Melding on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah it's just all shifted towards black a lot, the whitest white hair you can get is still clearly grey

BahamutZERO.gif
    my favourite invasions i think are the ones where the host has multiple phantoms but it's a series of one on one fights.

These are extremely rare, but having an invasion be a series of duels with the end result being taking on the host is really fun. like a boss rush.

I'd like to finish the game with my pyromaniac before I do anything else with Gabrielle the warrior woman knight without a horse, but the high wall area is fun.

I don't really understand what's happening with the peak, and the enemies there just ruin me.

Can I finish the game's other levels, and come back to the peak before entering NG +? Or does fighting the last boss take you right into ng+?

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It will ask you if you want to start a new journey, just say no and you can go mess around until you're ready to move on.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    It will ask you if you want to start a new journey, just say no and you can go mess around until you're ready to move on.

Hmmm ok
    I think I'll wait for the peak
    Snake men don't give a fuck about my pyromancy

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    two hours of farming silver knights, got seven concords and finally hit rank 1...

that's pretty fucking good compared to some people's reports. only doing an hour or two a night definitely keeps you from going crazy if the rng doesn't go your way.

would anybody be interested in trading off killing each other for easy vertebra shackles? (ps4)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I have theories about why BlueCop/Darkmoon and Watchdog summons are so shit

for the former, I think there's just not enough people in Way of the Blue compared to the number of people in the bodyguard covenants. I feel like they need to give people a reason to equip the item, or have some way to make it a default behaviour unless you opt out or something.

As for Watchdogs vs. Aldritch Faithful - virtually everyone who enters Anor Londo for the first time does so embered because there's a boss right before the zone. To get to Road of Sacrifices you need to get past the Knight in the basement of the tower who will kill and de-ember a lot of players, and does not re-ember them when defeated, meaning the majority of players are not going to be embered when they arrive in the zone.

edited May 2016
    Fearghaill wrote: »

for the former, I think there's just not enough people in Way of the Blue compared to the number of people in the bodyguard covenants. I feel like they need to give people a reason to equip the item, or have some way to make it a default behaviour unless you opt out or something.

As for Watchdogs vs. Aldritch Faithful - virtually everyone who enters Anor Londo for the first time does so embered because there's a boss right before the zone. To get to Road of Sacrifices you need to get past the Knight in the basement of the tower who will kill and de-ember a lot of players, and does not re-ember them when defeated, meaning the majority of players are not going to be embered when they arrive in the zone.

those are solid theories, but the fact they work for some players and not others says there's something wrong with the matchmaking at a fundamental level as well. alternatively they should let you invade with darkmoon on and get concords for victories (this should work the same with any covenant item really. you get sun marks if you invade as a sunbro)

anicdotal evidence: last 6 hours in game time I've had blue cop on. zero summons. granted, I'm at sl119 now and +10, so the number of way of blue users are probably low at that bracket. I know there are people who password up and dry finger to try to get bluecop summons though.

its just frustrating when you see shit like this and you know that blue summons do work, but obviously something else is going on outside of the location mechanics. maybe blue summons should also work against farron & aldrich?

Naphtali on
    Are the players who get summoned for bluecops getting summoned repeatedly while others aren't being summoned at all? That would be some bullshit, sure

If it's just that very very few players get bluesummoned very very rarely, then to me that just indicates that there are orders of magnitude more people in the bluecops covenants than in way of the blue, and then the potential pool of blue summons is reduced further by the percentage of WotB players who are actually embered, and how many of those are actually being invaded. I agree that allowing bluecops to invade the guilty would go a long way to help, but failing that they need to find a way to increase the potential pool of summons. Honestly, I'd combine Way of the Blue and Sunbros the way DMB and BS are combined. Give people a sunlight medal for being saved by a bluecop and you'd get a ton of people taking part.

Are the players who get summoned for bluecops getting summoned repeatedly while others aren't being summoned at all? That would be some bullshit, sure

it appears that way. there's reports of people getting constantly summoned again and again, and obviously others who rarely/never get tapped. some people have gone so far as to make new steam accts and link them to their main, transfer over their game and play on that and reported auto-summons working for them*. so its possible there's some strange way accounts are being sorted/viewed for matchmaking that's creating artificial priority muckups

* some have reported this still doesn't work for them either

edited May 2016
    There's no reason to join way of the blue.
    When you're embered, you summon people at a bonfire. You usually summon two phantoms. And, unless you use a finger, your multi-player slots are full.
    So, then it looks like it's not working, and you take the covenant badge off.

DouglasDanger on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm one of the people who got constantly pulled in for Farron and Darkmoon and I don't know why it worked for me.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Anecdotal but I got summoned constantly for farron while I was very low level and then have had literally no summons since I got past level 40. Now I'm around level 90 I should be in the range for ng+ summons but I have not had a single summon in probably 30 hours of wearing the sigil since that low level rush.

There's no way to explain that except something being broken in the queueing system. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no queue and it's just always the most ideal match that is chosen

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Anecdotal but I got summoned constantly for farron while I was very low level and then have had literally no summons since I got past level 40. Now I'm around level 90 I should be in the range for ng+ summons but I have not had a single summon in probably 30 hours of wearing the sigil since that low level rush.

There's no way to explain that except something being broken in the queueing system. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no queue and it's just always the most ideal match that is chosen

I think summoning is based on your gear level and not your character level. Not 100 percent sure, though.

edited May 2016
    its both, actually. soul level and your highest upgraded weapon you've ever crafted (to prevent low level twinks with +10 weapons - twinks only get matched against twinks).

so in theory, if you wanted the optimum spot to farm auto-summons for concords, you'd want to stop at a +7 (weapons that only go to +5 count x2, so a +4 on that would be +8 overall) weapon (so you can be matched up against +5 up to +10 weapons) and SL90 (matched against SL80 up to SL120)

if you wanted to farm farron, SL20-30 with a +2 weapon would be good

Naphtali on
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    WoB is a really good covenant and people should be using it a lot more.

I usually go through my areas solo instead of summoning co-op helpers. There are several reasons for this. Summoning phantoms boosts enemy stats (at least HP, not sure about anything else), which makes the area harder if my help is bad. Summoned players tend to want to head straight for the boss to get the soul rewards and free ember, which discourages exploring for all the various treasures scattered around (sometimes you'll get a helpful guide that walks you to everything, but that's not the norm). Finally, summoning phantoms early means they go through their Estus early; they can't bonfire to refill them, and they're at 1/2 supply to begin with, which is bad odds when you're entering a boss area. Best to summon fresh phantoms for the boss.

WoB summons don't have these problems. They desummon after beating the enemy invader and getting their reward, leaving you free to summon a fresh phantom for the boss and not sticking you with a bunch of HP-boosted enemies to kill to get there. They summon next to you, so they're right where you need them to be if you got invaded. And they're usually outfit for PvP since they are explicitly looking for it, unlike many summoned phantoms who are outfit for the PvE area & boss.

Finally, WoB is the perfect "default" covenant. If you're Embered and looking to tackle your current PvE area, why would you equip anything other than WoB? Sunbro is best when you're getting yourself summoned instead, and literally every other covenant is for PvP. WoB is the only covenant that helps an Embered player in PvE.

No, it doesn't give specific rewards, but I don't see why it would need to. It is inherently a boon, and that distinguishes itself from every other covenant (which only gives rewards by collecting and turning in collectables for other treasures, of which there are only 2 per covenant and at least half of which are awful).

I'm WoB all the time in Ember mode, and it's been great helping the Darkmoons get their Concords. To date I haven't died once after having a Blade summoned to counter an invasion.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    I've thought about trying that, stopping at SL 90-something, but my pyro has a +10 flame, so I took my raw daisho to +10 too, so guess I'm taking him to SL 120.

Maybe I'll try the SL90 thing for my quality knight.

I've thought about trying that, stopping at SL 90-something, but my pyro has a +10 flame, so I took my raw daisho to +10 too, so guess I'm taking him to SL 120.

Maybe I'll try the SL90 thing for my quality knight.

i would argue for sl 100, depending on what you're planning to use in yoru quality build. ultra great swords for example basically require 40 of the stamina stat to overwhelm people (no one expect you to be able to do a fifth attack, but when you can they will get wrecked) but if you're planning for a smaller weapon then that's a smaller concern.Though having 40 and using a straight sword basically means you can just combo the hell and i've killed people using the lothric knight sword without running out of stamina before.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'll point out that on steam, you were actually less likely to get summoned the older your steam account was

the priority list for invasions was literally new accounts first

there could absolutely be more dumb shit for the sent covenants on ps4 and xbone

liEt3nH.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to be a Blade of the Darkmoon for roleplaying purposes in my NG+ games

I don't know that I'd ever actually get summoned for anything, though

dN0T6ur.png
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    smough and ornstein are...difficult

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Smough and Ornstein have the highest learning curve of any boss fight in the base game

You can kind of get one of them stuck behind a pillar at a time if you're careful, or at least get them to attack from the other side of a pillar, which lets you focus on punching the other one

dN0T6ur.png
    I'm pondering attunement slots. I have 21 ATT, 3 levels short of 4 slots. I'm all about Great Chaos Fire Orb, which takes 2 slots. Is that, plus another pyromancy good? Or should have a third?

Could I substitute fire paper for flame arc?

I see lots of Youtuber people using fire whip and fire surge in PvP, but I can't use those fast enough. I get hit before the animation finishes.

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    This game is a little too fond of having you get a boss down to zero health, only to have the fight not be over.

ZD98Zka.png
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I assume you're at max casting speed, so it's about proper spacing

Which can get a bit annoying when all people do is avoid you!

I'm at 25 DEX and I wear the sage ring.

that is five over max sped.

edited May 2016
    Ok but it works becuase of Onikiri and Ubadachi

Which is a quality weapon a Pyro has no business using

I've only got one more rebirth left

Ffffff

DouglasDanger on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Oh the final set of axes in sens fortess is a 2 and 2 not all 4 at once

couldn't see the gap in the middle

but hey I made the bonfire! then killed a bunch of stuff on the roof of the fortress

2x39jD4.jpg
    Hmmm

http://youtu.be/E1WOTfCc05E
    15 Dex and Sage ring might be the cap

Maybe hang up the daisho, pick up the uchigatana again

i read the cap was 50 speed wise, and the ring adds 30 dex so 20 dex is all you ever need on a caster if you're going to use that ring. but then the difference between 15 and 20 probably isn't going to be too much and points better spent in int. plsu the +1 version adds 35 and the plus +2 adds 40.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Super super late of me, but I picked up Dark Souls 1 and have been playing periodically over the course of a month or two. Just beat the Capra Demon tonight, which I imagine is a bit of a rite of passage for newbies.

I'm liking the game so far. It's very difficult, but you can do so many things in it to find what gives you an edge.

so, having invaded soemone named Knight Lunaaire, i was thinking of making a character Lunaire of Astora, and doing like a solaire of the moon, and i'm not 100% sure on how to sell the gimmick. right now i'm thinking either sirris' set or the brass set and the moonlight greatsword, but i feel there needs to be more to this.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Super super late of me, but I picked up Dark Souls 1 and have been playing periodically over the course of a month or two. Just beat the Capra Demon tonight, which I imagine is a bit of a rite of passage for newbies.

I'm liking the game so far. It's very difficult, but you can do so many things in it to find what gives you an edge.

I think there's actually four or five of us in SE going through it the first time right now

we should form a support group or something

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Also, you only trigger Watchdog Invasions when you walk into the water.

You can get to the Crystal Sage embered, without ever enabling a watchdog invasion.

There's no way around Aldritch faithful invasions, shy of dying and refusing to re-ember.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.