As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wasteland 2] 14 major areas to explore. One to press your balls against.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Phonehand wrote: »
    I don't care much for ideal party setups and stat distribution because I have way more fun with things like a manic depressive sniper who goes melancholy and can't shoot his rifle every turn

I thought that quirk would funny but it ended up just being really annoying. (IMO anyways)
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I have a feeling I'm going to want respecs in this game if I keep reading this thread and then looking what I did with my squad. Oh well! AG center went well enough I guess. Do need to give my off-healer surgeon though so thanks for that tip.

Yeah I am at the beginning as well and I am regretting not putting more in intelligence for some of my guys but I think I am going to ride it out.

If I was able to finish the game with how badly I royally fucked up spec'ing my squad, I'm sure you'll be fine. And on that note, I feel like the game is too long. I was basically ground out by the time I finished clearing out the God's militia stronghold, but then I had to slog through all the citadel stuff, which took forever and had more than its fair share of bullshit fights.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Huh, trying to use the skill book for toaster repair and it doesn't seem to work. Is it supposed to raise the skill and be consumed? Use on self closes inventory and nothing. Hotkeying it and clicking the portrait doesn't do anything either.

Hope someone writes some more in-depth/for idiots info for this modding support they just added. I can't work out how to modify the encumbrance status effect which I figured be easy. The example BleedOut.mson I can't work out where it got the file name from.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Huh, trying to use the skill book for toaster repair and it doesn't seem to work. Is it supposed to raise the skill and be consumed? Use on self closes inventory and nothing. Hotkeying it and clicking the portrait doesn't do anything either.

Hope someone writes some more in-depth/for idiots info for this modding support they just added. I can't work out how to modify the encumbrance status effect which I figured be easy. The example BleedOut.mson I can't work out where it got the file name from.

Yeah, that's odd; they're supposed to up the skill by one and then disappear. Does the character move, start the use animation or anything, or just nothing at all?

If possible, try and find another book and see if the same thing happens, or pass it between squaddies and have someone else try to use it. Here's a full list (minor location/quest spoilers); one of the easier ones to get is the demolitions book at the rail nomads' library car.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Found another book (Had found said demolitions one and quit); same shit. Use on self just closes the inventory and nothing else. Trying to use it off the hotbar gives "You can't use a book on that object.".

Sounds like it may be time for a character editor.

The mod-support patch today broke my mods (so that's not the book problem, mods are gone in case that was it). Not a good Wasteland 2 day!

Edit: Aha! Giving the book to someone else and using it on them it worked. Maybe this is related to the "You can't heal yourself" perk my healer has that's trying to use these.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I don't care much for ideal party setups and stat distribution because I have way more fun with things like a manic depressive sniper who goes melancholy and can't shoot his rifle every turn

If the game is forgiving enough to let you do that I'm happy, don't want to obsess over stats either. Some games, CRPGs in particular, punish you hard for not knowing the stat system inside and out.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

If the game is forgiving enough to let you do that I'm happy, don't want to obsess over stats either. Some games, CRPGs in particular, punish you hard for not knowing the stat system inside and out.

The thing about Wasteland 2 is that it's character creation system seems balanced around individual characters and not a party. So because you get up to 7 people, it's not particularly hard to cover for any shortcomings of your initial builds.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    The "AP is king and the only thing that matters" stat builds are horribly outdated and not even based around Wasteland 2 build logic. It's just remnants of Fallout in people's brains and they try to apply it to WL2. It doesn't even make sense given the way the combat system in this game works, but people still push it. Super weird.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It's still good to mouseover the tooltips and look for the stat breakpoints though. Like that 4 in int

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Yeah, definitely. All my normal character builds have 4 int just because it's such a good deal for one point over base.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    So has anyone played this on the One? I'm curious how well the interface works.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Oh bah! They rolled back the mod support update without telling anyone, that was the download after the patch. Damnit, that means my mods may not work again when they sort it out. Grumble grumble.

• Options
    The mods still work: Yay!

The AI walks into mines after they've been spotted: Boo!

• Options
    Weird question. I'm replaying this game and messed up with Vulture's Cry. Does anyone know if there is a console command to change to her alternate personality? Because that default one is awful.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    McHoger wrote: »
    Weird question. I'm replaying this game and messed up with Vulture's Cry. Does anyone know if there is a console command to change to her alternate personality? Because that default one is awful.

A quick search doesn't turn up anything useful about console commands, but it looks like it's possible to edit save files to the same end. Saves go in \Documents\my games\Wasteland2DC - character sheets in an easily edited .xml file, quest flags in a less easily edited .bin file.

Out of curiosity, I popped the .bin open with a hex editor and found a line about "AZ2_VulturesCry_Freed!AZ2_VulturesCry_DiscoveredRoutine". Didn't see anything else that could be it, and I need to compare this to a save where her schtick isn't revealed (which I don't currently have). It might be as simple as just replacing what's currently there with that flag, though it wouldn't surprise me if there's more to it. It's worth a try, but I'd back up the save before doing so.

I'm planning on doing a skillcheck guide for the game soon, so I'll play around with this some more and follow up if I can figure it out.

Stolls on
  • Options
    Stolls wrote: »

A quick search doesn't turn up anything useful about console commands, but it looks like it's possible to edit save files to the same end. Saves go in \Documents\my games\Wasteland2DC - character sheets in an easily edited .xml file, quest flags in a less easily edited .bin file.

Out of curiosity, I popped the .bin open with a hex editor and found a line about "AZ2_VulturesCry_Freed!AZ2_VulturesCry_DiscoveredRoutine". Didn't see anything else that could be it, and I need to compare this to a save where her schtick isn't revealed (which I don't currently have). It might be as simple as just replacing what's currently there with that flag, though it wouldn't surprise me if there's more to it. It's worth a try, but I'd back up the save before doing so.

I'm planning on doing a skillcheck guide for the game soon, so I'll play around with this some more and follow up if I can figure it out.

Thanks for looking. I had a leveling scheme I wanted to mess around with so I ended up restarting again anyway.

I'd be curious to see a skill check guide for this game. I've done that very early dialogue check against the raider guard with all three ass skills and it's ridiculous how much better the Kiss Ass one is. I wonder if there is big difference like that later in the game too.

• Options
    Stolls wrote: »

Thanks for looking. I had a leveling scheme I wanted to mess around with so I ended up restarting again anyway.

I'd be curious to see a skill check guide for this game. I've done that very early dialogue check against the raider guard with all three ass skills and it's ridiculous how much better the Kiss Ass one is. I wonder if there is big difference like that later in the game too.

There are a few that lead to different outcomes, or open up different tactical options. One off the top of my head is late in the game, where God's Militia priests are preparing to execute someone. You need to move quickly to intervene, but it's a tough fight if you don't prepare. The Hard Ass check, if I recall right, starts the fight early and puts your team at the start the move order, while Kiss Ass stalls the priest and gives you more time to get into safe positions. They're also often not evenly ranked, with one NPC having a higher SA requirement over HA or KA - the trade-off being a better outcome for the higher check.

Dead State sucked me back in, but I'll get to it before long. I'm curious to dig under the hood and see how each area is balanced.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Yessssssssssssss...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    The dialogue system looks neat the rest eh.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Patrolling the Arizona desert did make me wish for a nuclear winter.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I wonder if they will have buttoning up be a part of afv fighting.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Question. If I press my balls against this area, will they get stuck due to the cold?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Rangers.

Trudging through an icy hell.

Surrounded by mutants and bad guys.

We're the Polis Rangers now! Sparta!

Also, I never played W2, but I'm seriously considering picking up a backer level to get that game and this.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Someone please link a character creation guide for me so I can give this another go.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Assault rifles are the best, shotguns are meh.
    Take a medic, take a sniper, take a surgeon or two because you need at least 1 point in surgeon to revive people.

Try to set your stats to get what you want while maximising AP. You will gain 4-5 more attribute points over the game so plan ahead on where you would spend them to hit good break points.

Off the top of my head, my party was something like:

High intelligence medic skills/assault rifles/leadership/speech skills

High intelligence sniper with utility skills (lockpicking, safecracking, hacking etc.)

Moderate (+1 skill point from base) intelligence front line assault rifle/demolitions/weapon scavenging

Moderate intelligence close range pistols/fists (fists get pretty good later on) with brute force skill.

You'll be able to max out all skills on somebody eventually so it's more about when to upgrade to the next level rather than if. I pretty much just upgrade lockpicking and stuff when I reach a lock I can't pick.

I'd say baseline have 10ap on your characters, or at least 9 going to 10 with first new attribute point. Assault rifles are typically 5 or 6 per shot, and snipers usually 6 so you'll want 12 ap to fire twice per round (you won't get 12 at the start though).

One of the skills, I think tinkerer, unlocks a perk that gives extra AP when wearing light armour which I found extremely useful and worth levelling tinkering after your main skills just to get.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    The dialogue system looks neat the rest eh.

The dialogue system was my biggest complaint in the first one. It alienated me from caring about the plot. So, I'm definitely in now.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I think I used this guide to make my party. It's pretty comprehensive.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I've been dying for a Fallout game with a winter wasteland setting, I'll happily take this instead.

So happy to see they ditched the keyword system and are just going with actual conversations. I know what they were going for but just feels like it didn't work, atleast not the way they implemented it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Assault rifles are the best, shotguns are meh.
    Take a medic, take a sniper, take a surgeon or two because you need at least 1 point in surgeon to revive people.

Try to set your stats to get what you want while maximising AP. You will gain 4-5 more attribute points over the game so plan ahead on where you would spend them to hit good break points.

Off the top of my head, my party was something like:

High intelligence medic skills/assault rifles/leadership/speech skills

High intelligence sniper with utility skills (lockpicking, safecracking, hacking etc.)

Moderate (+1 skill point from base) intelligence front line assault rifle/demolitions/weapon scavenging

Moderate intelligence close range pistols/fists (fists get pretty good later on) with brute force skill.

You'll be able to max out all skills on somebody eventually so it's more about when to upgrade to the next level rather than if. I pretty much just upgrade lockpicking and stuff when I reach a lock I can't pick.

I'd say baseline have 10ap on your characters, or at least 9 going to 10 with first new attribute point. Assault rifles are typically 5 or 6 per shot, and snipers usually 6 so you'll want 12 ap to fire twice per round (you won't get 12 at the start though).

One of the skills, I think tinkerer, unlocks a perk that gives extra AP when wearing light armour which I found extremely useful and worth levelling tinkering after your main skills just to get.

I'll add that it's a good idea to have someone with at least one point in surgery besides the designated medic so that you can revive the medic if they go down.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    sooooo
    Wasteland 3 hits Friday, anybody here want to make a thread for it / convert this one?

this is really just a ploy for me to ask a question:
    I backed Wasteland 2 and just straight up never got a chance to play it. Than the director's cut came out, which I got a free upgrade to and again just... never got around to playing it.

Now Wasteland 3 is coming out and it's on gamepass, which I have. At this point should I even bother with 2 or just go straight to 3 since everything I've read about it makes it seem empirically to be much improved?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I tried Wasteland 2 DC and I just couldn't get into it. It was just a bit too old school for me. I'm interested to see reviews for Wasteland 3 to see how they've improved.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    sooooo
    Wasteland 3 hits Friday, anybody here want to make a thread for it / convert this one?

this is really just a ploy for me to ask a question:
    I backed Wasteland 2 and just straight up never got a chance to play it. Than the director's cut came out, which I got a free upgrade to and again just... never got around to playing it.

Now Wasteland 3 is coming out and it's on gamepass, which I have. At this point should I even bother with 2 or just go straight to 3 since everything I've read about it makes it seem empirically to be much improved?

I believe 3 follows a ranger team that was briefly mentioned as heading to Colorado in 2. But with 3 being set in a completely different region of the US, I don't see them having much direct interaction with 2's plot other than maybe including some cameos, though with the nature of the game if one does show up from 2 they could potentially be recruitable party members, or some background lore references.

I liked 2 well enough, but at this point I would say just play 3 now and if you like it enough, go back and play 2.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I tried Wasteland 2 DC and I just couldn't get into it. It was just a bit too old school for me. I'm interested to see reviews for Wasteland 3 to see how they've improved.
    Looking pretty good.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Wasteland 3 can now be preinstalled.

Or installed - I’m in the UK, so I’m not sure when it actually unlocks, stupid time zones.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Or installed - I’m in the UK, so I’m not sure when it actually unlocks, stupid time zones.

I already tried to play it since it's 28th here but it says I'm too early. :(

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

It's supposed to unlock today on gamepass and steam.

5pm pdt I think?

• Options
    It unlocks at 1 am here in the uk.

Annoyingly, it unlocks at midnight on the PlayStation.

Thanks, Microsoft !

• Options
    It unlocks at 1 am here in the uk.

Annoyingly, it unlocks at midnight on the PlayStation.

Thanks, Microsoft !

On the other hand, I’m playing it for free through Gamepass, so thanks Microsoft !

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Mirkel wrote: »

It's supposed to unlock today on gamepass and steam.

5pm pdt I think?

Now that I checked it Steam has the time shown, my Xbox app just says "release date 8/28". I guess it's 3am for me then, should be ready to play when I get back from work.

• Options
    Hopefully there's at least two places to press our balls against this time.