As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of Saints, Souls, and [Steam]

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Risen 2: Dark Waters Gold Edition:

Loading...?

Hey, thanks! I was always curious about this game.

Steam: offday
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm always amused when I put something on my wishlist because it looks cool and then forget about it, then months or years later get gifted it and when I check it out, I'm like, "Oh man, this looks awesome!"

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    So a couple of quick visual novels out of the way today:

Aozora Meikyuu: Step into the shoes of a heartbroken shut-in whose rare foray into the outside world is interrupted by a naked girl falling out of the sky and landing on him. Now, I've been outside a LOT in my life, and I've even spent quite a few months wandering around Japan, but having naked girls falling on you is, I feel, drastically over-represented in anime and visual novels as I have never had anyone fall on me, clothed or not.

Anyway, you're much less interested in her and more interested in playing computer games, but you do eventually wind up having lots of sexy times (none of them graphic, nor graphically described.) Alternately, you get stabbed, or have a sign fall on you, or, well, there are a lot of ways to die in what looks like a lighthearted romp of a story. It will take you about an hour to see every possibility and probably about as long for your eyes to return to their normal position from all of the rolling you probably put them through during the process.

Sakura Beach 2: In the first Sakura Beach, you play a slightly-emotionally-broken chap whose childhood friends get tired of how utterly dense he is and drag him to the beach so you can finally decide which of them he's going to date. There are three possible endings, but as so often happens the sequel just assumes that you took the harem ending because what red-blooded lad wouldn't?

Anyway, it was actually a little serious and touching at times even if it could have used another proofreading pass or two, so when a sequel came out I naturally had to... well, wait on it until I could pick it up for pennies in a bundle.

So, in Sakura Beach 2, you're dating both of your childhood friends but the relationship hasn't even gotten to the first kiss stage, so they drag you back to the beach where Yet Another Girl Comes Along To Make Things Complicated.

There are four endings and a bunch of branching paths that don't seem to make much difference but offer some funny moments. Also lots and lots of life and hometown.

Both are Win/Mac/Linux. Aozora Meikyuu was a little dodgy on the Mac (if you try to go into full screen, it will initially not work until you minimize and then restore it), so I played Sakura Beach 2 on my Ubuntu box TO DEMONSTRATE MY COMMITMENT TO FREEEEEEEDOM and also because OS X wanted to run updates and it was taking forever.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Okay, who entered into the Sakura giveaways.

I did.

• ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    harvest wrote: »
    Grats on finishing DS1, have fun in Drangleic.

Is it anything like Blighttown? Because Blighttown is the worst.

Don't worry, it would be a huuuuuuuge dick move if From Software put another Blighttown in Dark Souls 2. Fans would throw them in the gutter if they did something so poisonous to the Dark Souls community.

Pretty sure folks also learned a bit about how to watch their step from the first one and there is no shitty poking you from afar nonstop while having to watch your step.

Han:
    Get some kind of range, any kind of range.

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    yNImRz2.png

All I did was log in to chat, look around for destroyah, and decide it was safe.

Dammit @Stabbity Style!

Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • GoldenbarqsGoldenbarqs Registered User regular
    I am quite happy that people are becoming exposed to Space Food Truck.
    jclast wrote: »

I like Stolen Memory a lot. It's just that Shadowbroker is (I think) plot critical, and Overlord is some of the best storytelling in ME across all three games. I own every bit of DLC released for ME2. Making an ordered list of must-haves was stupidly difficult.

That's fair. I just know I usually saw people talking shit about it, although I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else. It is kind of interesting though how much they assume you played the ME2 DLC for plot elements in the third one.

steam_sig.png
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I seem to have dropped a thing!

signature.png
    Only a few more hours!

steam_sig.png
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular

Don't worry, it would be a huuuuuuuge dick move if From Software put another Blighttown in Dark Souls 2. Fans would throw them in the gutter if they did something so poisonous to the Dark Souls community.

I feel like your lying to me...

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• jclastjclast Registered User regular

signature.png
    Only a few more hours!

It's happening. There are new games coming out that I don't meet the minimum for. I mean, I wasn't going to play DooM anyway because I'm a giant baby, but it's still a bummer to see that I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Also, you're awesome @PierceNeck - I hope whoever wins is very happy with their Martian hellscape. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular

Bloodrayne related:

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Jesus christ, Destroyah. did you win the lottery or something? God. it makes a shitty day much better by seeing ridiculous gifts like that.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

signature.png
    Only a few more hours!

This game is great, jump on this!

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Looking through my games I saw Starbound and realized I haven't checked that game out in forever. Do people still play it? What's going on with the development?

Steam: offday
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Starbounds development is slow, and they've redone the intro and weapon balance like twice. They're still working on it though.

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    You're all nuts.

steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

signature.png
    Only a few more hours!

It's happening. There are new games coming out that I don't meet the minimum for. I mean, I wasn't going to play DooM anyway because I'm a giant baby, but it's still a bummer to see that I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Also, you're awesome @PierceNeck - I hope whoever wins is very happy with their Martian hellscape. :)

Don't look at it as a bummer, look at it as a sign you should work on your backlog and start buying early nineties titles.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    ! Holy crap, thanks @Firebird for Rocket League! Scoring goals with cars should be a lot of fun :D Can't wait to give it a spin!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    ! Holy crap, thanks @Firebird for Rocket League! Scoring goals with cars should be a lot of fun :D Can't wait to give it a spin!

@Stabbity Style

Only because you shot me first!! Ya' Bastard!
    With Insurgency, no less....

Also came to show my respects to the thread and show my living, sensual self is alright as I have been absent from the thread

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Aparrrently Stabs is moping up the last of resistance....err insurgency....

There was a clever joke here, but it boils down to thanks @Stabbity Style for Insurgency!

• jclastjclast Registered User regular

signature.png
    Only a few more hours!

Don't look at it as a bummer, look at it as a sign you should work on your backlog and start buying early nineties titles.

Oh I've got plenty to play. I don't ever _need_ a newer computer than this one. I just thought I had more time before the new hotness was beyond my reach.

camo_sig2.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    And here I thought just sitting back and not saying anything would get me out of this mess...

dc5ulu6pe6bo.png

Thanks to @Stabbity Style - guess I know what we're doing for, uh, Sunday Afternoon Gaming?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular

I feel like your lying to me...

Come now. Stacks would never do something so rotten.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    @Stabbity Style slipped in while I was occupied with Xenoverse, which I'm slowly getting the hang of, and tossed a copy of Insurgency!

YP0fA5f.png

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    @EvmaAlsar sends Stellaris, Thank you! I hear good things.
    016ffd9yvftn.jpg

@Gear Girl thank you also for the gift of Stellaris, but Evma sent it first. So I must politely decline.
    3q2phgwemx4q.jpg

And only after I make it back home do I see that @Stabbity Style got me in the Insurgency spree.
    5l9zodslmqc0.jpg
    Thank you!

Oh and before I forget, @Karoz also politely declined Stellaris, as he'd tried it before and found it not for him. So here's this.
    signature.png
    Open to G&T Adventure team until 5/30 11am cst.

steam_sig.png
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Okay, who entered into the Sakura giveaways.

I did.

Fuck it, I'll throw my name in the hat. I like anime bewbs and I cannot lie... :whistle:

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Thanks for Insurgency, @Stabbity Style! I'll flounder around and feed the opposition in your honour heh

steam_sig.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Some people get bombed with seven titles, and here I am moving my backlog in the right direction. That makes, what seven games off mine?

In the future, an alien invasion overwhelms the planet Earth, pushing humanity to the brink of extinction. The Centurion invasion has humanity pretty much up against the wall, until from out of nowhere, comes this mystical spaceship that manages to save what is left of humanity and then spirit them away, complete with seven Angels wielding Ki power. The ship, named Alpha, brings humanity to a new planet, simply allowing them to make a new life... but as fate would have it, we manage to fuck it up again. On side wants to live with nature, the other side wants to power up and research tech until humanity is strong enough to kick the Centurions off Earth and take it back. The cusp of their research is the Kimorian, a human implanted with a ki crystal at birth, making them stronger and granting access to special powers... but as things heat up between both sides, a young kimorian by the name of Rick finds himself growing disillusioned with the while thing... and so begins Alpha Kimori: Chapter 1.

The game was actually developed in Malaysia, and is built in the style of those old 80s adventure cartoons that used to be everywhere, though Alpha Kimori is your run-of-the-mill turn-based RPG, and I'm actually fine with that. Gameply is much the same- you run around, beating the snot out of anything that attacks you like a pack of ki-powered murderhobos until you level up and get stronger to finish each episode of the game. But treating this like any old RPG kind of shortchanges it, I would think.

The characters are fun- you get your troubled student soldier Rick, his neighbor and girlfriend Vanessa... half the fun is watching the drama between the characters play out. And yes, I am holding out on a few of them by not naming them, but I don't want to spoil things if you want to play the game.

The controls are really good- it supports both controller and KBAM input, but I had a lot more fun with a controller. The controls are responsive enough to move you around well enough and to select items and abilities. I didn't have any problems with selecting things to choose. The graphics are actually okay- but expect sixteen-bit style graphics both in and out of battle. You won't find anything that really pushes the engine, though. The music's about the same- though I really love the title track, the same one that plays for episode boss encounters- that I'd drop a buck for the soundtrack just for it.

But... the game's got some problems, too. First off, every character seems to feel the exact same- apart from the fact that each character gets one damage move, one healing move (either self or selectable) and then a smattering of other abilities- maybe a ki-replenisher, or a revive, or another damaging move. About the only thing this game really doesn't have is a way to heal everyone at once- but ki healing also massively outclasses any kind of healing item- if you have to dip into your inventory, for anything other than a revive, you might be doing it wrong. Some of the abilities also need to be rebalanced- when your ki reaches about 1900 and the strongest ability you have only runs maybe 25 points to cast, it's pretty much just a nuke-till-dead approach when it comes to bosses. As long as you keep your equipment up to date and not run from fights, you might just have to do one grind near then end to get your health high enough for the episode boss.

Episode bosses are really the only big threats of the game- the third one is especially nasty and mean and might take you a few tries.

The game's shortness might be a problem, too- it's only three episodes long, and while I think there are two more chapters out there currently, neither two or three are out on Steam as of yet, if they ever will be. I hate the fact that they're not on there, because it would strengthen the appeal of this one- because how many people want to buy something that was never finished? I suppose that also makes it just like the old 80s adventure cartoons-not many of them were ever finished, either.

Steam wants ten bucks for it- while I kind of enjoyed it, I don't think it's a ten-dollar game. I'd pay five for it, though.

I wish more of it was out on Steam, because there's a great story here, and it would really help if there were two chapters for fifteen, because that would sell this game in a heartbeat. I'd call it completely average, but I'd look forward to part 2 if it ever made it to Steam.

TL;DR - An average RPG with a fun gimmick to it. Still average in every other way, though. 5/10.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    Things are crazy in here, and that's awesome. @destroyah87 doing his best Oprah impression: "And you get a Steam game, and you get a Steam game! Everyone gets a steam game!"

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Some people learn their lesson and let sleeping dogs lie when a gift doesn't quit match. Not destroyah:

7h141zikgqzk.jpg

Thanks @destroyah87 for Gremlins Inc.!

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    @Gear Girl seems to follow my (bad) example
    37ndshqrdl4i.jpg
    Thank you for Jotun, Impossible Creatures, and Seraph!

steam_sig.png
    XCOM interceptor is a beast to play and control and I think I may just give up.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I never could get Interceptor to run reliably. Just tons of CTDs.

Deadpool always crashes when I get up in the chopper for me. If I had one wish it would be to end the world and everyone would know I did it, but if I had two wishes my second would be for me to be able to start and finish this.

Sorry Isy, 2013, but I always remember.

steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Scratchy wrote: »
    Deadpool always crashes when I get up in the chopper for me. If I had one wish it would be to end the world and everyone would know I did it, but if I had two wishes my second would be for me to be able to start and finish this.

Awww, that stinks mate :(
    Genuinely enjoyed that game, it did the Deadpool humour well. And talking of gifting stuff, it's been a while since I bought anything on Steam at all. Pretty sure it's like 4 months now.

edited May 2016
    @Big Classy No, why? Why would you do this!
    avta7dop6k8u.jpg
    Thank you!

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    Hmmm, I'm struggling a bit to get passionate about playing Undertale. It will come in time, but its a struggle at the moment.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    So I'm just sitting here watching an RPG speedrun with a cat on my lap and something just bounces off the roof.

n2NVr8f.jpg

Thanks to @Stabbity Style for Insurgency! Maybe it's time I get back into FPS games... I'll give it a look!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Scratchy wrote: »

Awww, that stinks mate :(
    Genuinely enjoyed that game, it did the Deadpool humour well. And talking of gifting stuff, it's been a while since I bought anything on Steam at all. Pretty sure it's like 4 months now.

I didn't even @ ya!

I have to go away for a bit and finish Hitman Absolution, Saints Row IV, and piss around a bit in Far Cry 3.
    All other things you gifted me you goddamn monster

steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Hahaha :lol:

I just finished work and was printing off some applications for visa stuff, the timing was perfect :cool:

Also, talking of Far Cry 3, I'm a good couple hours into Primal on PS4 and it does a fantastic job of feeling different enough from the mainline games. It's so much more brutal and heavy with the violence, I'm thoroughly enjoying it save for one thing; the fucking framerate just tanks after a while, no idea why. Could be my console, could be the game, who knows. But for the times it works smoothly, daaaaaaamn it's good.

This discussion has been closed.