As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Schoolism] Lighting for Story and Concept Art

13»

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    @f87 I'm having the same issue with my wrist. I'm on a cintiq and I think it's the steep angle that I'm drawing at.

Regarding your painting, I find the lighting scheme a little odd, I think the under lighting on her face is good, but blowing out her torso like that seems distracting.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    When I had an issue with my wrist in the past, it was definitely a combination of my Cintiq being at too acute an angle, and the fact that I was drawing lower on the screen (thereby extending my wrist even further, without realizing I was hurting myself).

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    also, EXACTLY the same issues with her face as we have discussed many times in your thread. I'm not going to reiterate, you can cross-check against there.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    You guys are right, good points. I honestly wanted to fix up the lighting and rework their faces with some reference (not that it excuses my recurring bad habits...) but I just can't paint because of the pain. It's incredibly frustrating to not be able to work.

I don't have a cintiq so I'm trying to fix up the ergonomics of my chair/desk/footrest. As well as go see the doctor, the tendon from my thumb is so swollen D: And since it may take a while to recover I decided to post it and start watching the next assignment videos while I can't draw.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Take the time to recover. Watching videos is a good way to stay active, so is gathering reference.

• Options
    LampLamp Registered User regular
    Ookay, after a long hiatus due to all sorts of personal craziness I'm back to my art routine and ready to seriously tackle these Schoolism assignments. I tried to go ahead and do a greyscale painting of this dragon, but I kind of hate rendering in values only... I sort of start to feel bored, and it seems hard for me to tell how far along the rendering is when it's in black and white. I always end up thinking things are much closer to finished than they really are. So this is about as far as I got with the values:

d71glp5cwyvj.jpg

Then I ran some color passes over it and liked how it looked so I polished it for a few days.

qz585aqbfr5u.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    You lost some of your hard edges, which makes it seem a bit too blurry in spots still. Overall, I think the light is pretty good. Your values only version seems to have forced you to get a better grip on your strokes and edges, which is actually pretty nice! When you commit to your forms, it makes a world of difference.

• Options
    The dragon's face is really good! Just try to watch out regarding your brightest brights - you don't want to go pure white in a painting almost ever, but if you do, it should generally only be at the very brightest and shiniest spots, and used only a small amount for impact. Additionally, using pure white can wash out the colors of your piece - I think the dragon's head is nice because it's got different hues as the form transitions from light to dark. Consider doing the same thing in the future... even if the light source is white, there will still be some hue changes along the form through light and shadow, rather than varying opacities of just white.

• Options
    ikis7ujgfyv0.png

I need to mess with the value more but figured I'd get something up, going into color after I get this how I want it, maybe push the stylization a bit and try to figure out what kind of story I'm trying to tell. Kinda going overboard with assignment 3, but I figure whynot.

• Options
    Beautiful! :)

• Options
    vbeb24zqcgae.png

Keeping this thread alive! Not sure what I'll do now, guess I'll watch the next lesson?

• Options
    Super gorgeous! :)