As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

remote admin tools over the internet? [solved]

ReznikReznik Registered User regular
edited May 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm basically on call for family tech support, but I live in a different city from my parents. Also, they have Windows 10 and I do not. If I had access to their computer and could poke around I could fix things easily, but without Win 10 in front of me it's very difficult to direct them by phone (especially since they are not tech savvy to begin with).

Are there any good legit tools we could use so they can let me access their computer to fix things? That also would not leave them vulnerable to unauthorized access (or I guess not any more vulnerable than they already are). I have Win 7 on my main desktop if that makes a difference.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
Forget it...
Reznik on

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    A lot of folks recommend TeamViewer for what you're asking for. It shouldn't leave them vulnerable to others accessing the system unless they fall for a Microsoft scam call.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    A lot of folks recommend TeamViewer for what you're asking for. It shouldn't leave them vulnerable to others accessing the system unless they fall for a Microsoft scam call.

+1

I've been using it for a long time and it just works great. It's free for personal use and you need the PIN to connect.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I use LogMeIn for remote tech support for work.
    It isn't free, but it does provide a lot of functionality for remote administration (forcing restarts, the ability to move files directly from one machine to another, command line access, etc...). If you're only supporting one or two machines, the yearly license works out to about 13 dollars a month.

I do use Team Viewer occasionally, but I like the extra functionality I get through LogMeIn.

Third option, Join.Me. It's essentially screen sharing software, but you can take remote control over the system (with a user on that end's permission) to do what you need to do. It does have a free option for small users.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    All that sounds great, thanks guys!

I'll give TeamViewer a shot first and then look into the others if need be.

Forget it...
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    @Reznik Teamviewer was just in the news today for account security breaches, might want to keep an eye on that.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I just saw that. Luckily I haven't downloaded it yet so I guess I'll be moving on to one of the other suggested programs first. Thanks for the heads up.

Forget it...
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    FWIW the teamviewer hack might not be a hack at all, just a coordinated password guessing attack.

Assuming you don't leave the client running and you don't change the password from the random string you're probably fine.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    FWIW the teamviewer hack might not be a hack at all, just a coordinated password guessing attack.

Assuming you don't leave the client running and you don't change the password from the random string you're probably fine.

Yeah, the news has been around, but I haven't heard anything from security researchers yet.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Sounds like people with 2FA are getting hacked too.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Sounds like people with 2FA are getting hacked too.

yeah it's a gd mess, and we probably won't know what actually happened until it's all over

weirdly, the reason I like teamview is their quicksupport app, since all it does it accept a connection and shuts down when it's done, you don't have to install it or anything
    most of the other options remote support require installs on both ends which is a pain and doubles your exposure

and you can set the actual installed client to shutdown on close, too, which I would recommend to everyone

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies