As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The LGBT Thread

KwoaruKwoaru Confident SmirkFlawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
edited August 2016 in Social Entropy++
IZsqoI9.jpg
It’s that time of year again! June is LGBT Pride Month in the United States, and that means that all month long the LGBT community will be pandered to by corporations celebrated and honored by the populace at large.

If you make up some part of the QUILTBAG (even if you don’t fit in that cute little acronym) then I hope this thread can be a place for you to feel comfortable talking about it!

Of course heterosexual cisgender folks are welcome as well just try and be considerate of the space, that’s all. Feel free to ask if you have any questions (though maybe try google first) or talk about stuff that falls under the purview of the thread, the important thing is don’t be jerk.

EKBBq79.jpg

Things worth keeping in mind:
  • If you ask a question then take some time to absorb the answer, even if it doesn’t make sense right away maybe let it percolate a little bit before arguing about it.
  • Don't misgender or deadname people (both your fellow forumers and people who don’t post here), if you aren’t sure what pronoun or name you should use then you can always say so!
  • Be respectful of whatever labels people self-apply. It is never ever up to you to decide that someone is not actually bi or not really a woman or anything like that. I don’t care what your reasoning is, you are wrong to do so and this is not the venue to argue semantics.

So let's talk about some gay shit! (and trans shit and bi shit and ace shit and every other kind)

tGqEJTsm.jpgpKJJQZYm.jpgqgaKfcIm.jpg

2x39jD4.jpg
Kwoaru on

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    thats a lotta fuckin rainbows

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    WOOP WOOP WHO WANTS MAKEOUTS HOP IN THE BUS

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    GODDAMNIT HEIMDALL STOP CROSSPOSTING

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm honestly worried about the the pride celebration in Seattle this year. Been here seven years, used to be people being really outwardly open about sexuality, gender, alt-lifestyle stuff. Since last June, almost all of the major new fancy apartment/condo projects are done. Now, instead of walking home from work and passing by groups of large bearded men in drag, complaining about their shoes hurting, it's young white dudes just getting off of the Microsoft shuttle bus talking about neighborhood growth opportunities and how to sell the branding of this neighborhood being, well, what it isn't anymore.

edit: Gentrification. Sorry for harshing the thread.

Weaver on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    A lot of the tech people are queer as fuck, they just aren't as obvious about it.

(mostly)

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    WOOP WOOP WHO WANTS MAKEOUTS HOP IN THE BUS

I would love to take a ride on a makeout bus

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Utah Pride events are weird as hell, and have a militant streak that I'm not a fan of. It's kind of funny - I spent most of my life being viciously angry at everyone and everything, for no really good reason, but now that I have some legitimate grievances, it feels more important to maintain my chill than to lash out at my oppressors. Like, I have some idea of my capacity to lose myself entirely in that kind of behavior, so I can't afford to even indulge a little bit. But back when I was still trying to be straight at any cost, there was no other fight I wouldn't pick.

Also the B in the local LGBT community still seems to stand for "But not you, assholes". It's easier to stand alone than to rally to "friends" who can be pretty reliably counted on to be much more shitty towards me than our supposed mutual enemies.

It's been a while since I put out any ads for my "Friendly and Inclusive" D&D nights though, so maybe it's a good time to fish for new recruits.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    guess I gotta wear my rainbow shoes all month long

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    guess I gotta wear my rainbow shoes all month long

I gotta pull out my rainbow He-man shirt. I love that shirt.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Trudeau

Canada gets the raddest PM ever while America has to suffer through Trump as the honest-to-god presidential candidate for one of the two major political parties. Shit's unfair yo.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I like the idea of celebrating diverse sexualities and genders

but Pride is too sharp of a reminder on who has benefited the most from "LGBT" legislation

queue white gay dudes asking why trans women seem to be so angry all the time

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I try to avoid the general party blocks when Pride in Toronto happens, particularly on Fri/Sat/Sun because it gets to be too crowded, but I appreciate that there are month long and daily events to actually represent every segment of the community, and it's not just about celebrities, hedonism, or corporate schilling. Plenty of family related events at theme parks and local attractions, small play and film debut screenings, history seminars and the like.

As I've gotten older since my first pride 14 years ago, I guess I can appreciate those sorts of events more and more. But hey, I can still appreciate people being carefree and walking around shirtless or fully naked during the main weekend, too.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

In DC the closest we get to full on hedonism is some people in their underwear (though last year there were some ladies who just had little black X's on they boobs instead of shirts)

I like that it's tame enough that families feel comfortable showing up with kids though, I think the trade off between what might be a little more fun and making things more open is a reasonable one

2x39jD4.jpg
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Trudeau

Canada gets the raddest PM ever while America has to suffer through Trump as the honest-to-god presidential candidate for one of the two major political parties. Shit's unfair yo.

Listen, we had to endure over ten years of a scheming autocratic racist while you got Obama. I think it's totally fair.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I'd like to go to a Pride event one day (I'm sure they happen even here in Perth???) but not this year, not til I'm publicly out.

On the other hand, I'm moving in with my boyfriend soon(ish) so that's kinda rad

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah dude there's Pride stuff in Perth. Not much, but it is there.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    So since this is a pride thread, hopefully I can ask a quick question. Please note: this is not Penny Arcade related in even the most tenuous way.

The question is: when a company (or government agency) has a "gender" field on a form, is the presentation of the answers:
    Male
    Female
    Transgender
    Other

A well thought out way of presenting this? I saw it today and it... I don't know, something strikes me as wrong but it's in my blind spot. Maybe because it feels like the "transgender" entry seems to exclude a transwoman from simply checking the equally correct, "female" box?

mildly cisgendered here but i gotta say that yea that sorta seem unneeded

Like, Male, Female, Other would be perfectly fine

I don't see the purpose of identifying specifically as transgender on something like that

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Well there could be some inclusionary hiring practises that would specifically look for transgendered people, a marketing agency I worked for did that because we had no trans perspectives.

edited June 2016
    I should have said I don't see any positive purpose of identifying specifically as transgender

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    It's a government agency so I'm sure they have some pretty strict guidelines in place. I was wondering if I should say something, but it's probably not my place.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    What bugs me (also cis, granted), about that, is that it implies that being transgender is a specific thing that is both separate from male and female but also homogenous. Like, transmen and transwomen are in no way the same gender, so it feels wrong to me to lump them together there. I feel like it should either have both transman and transwoman (with the other two binary options labeled cisman and ciswoman) as options, or just have "Male, Female, Other" and a separate "Cis, Trans" box.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    a lot of the time those things are optional, at least the race ones are. Like there's a paragraph saying you don't have to fill this out, but if you would like to identify as one or more of the following races then it can help our demographic analysis or whateverthefuck

gender is more relevant to some jobs, but I'd want to have that field be the same way. My instinct would be to have something like:

Optional: With which gender do you identify?
    [] Male
    [] Female
    [] Other (both, neither, NGB, etc.) _________
    Note: ________

I feel like putting the concept of gender identity in the question at least acknowledges transgender people, and not having a separate option implies that there's no difference on the form between a cisgender male and a transgender male. At the same time, I think it's good having a space to clarify if the person wants to do so - so if they want to distinguish themselves as trans then they can, but aren't forced to.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    In DC the closest we get to full on hedonism is some people in their underwear (though last year there were some ladies who just had little black X's on they boobs instead of shirts)

I like that it's tame enough that families feel comfortable showing up with kids though, I think the trade off between what might be a little more fun and making things more open is a reasonable one

Are you going again this year?

I'm really looking forward to it

Sassori wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Are you going again this year?

I'm really looking forward to it

Yeah I'm going to do both the parade and festival again, they were a lot of fun last year (even though it rained on the festival a bit)

If you're going this year we should meet up at some point, hopefully the weather finds a happy medium between torrential rain and scorched earth

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Phrasing the question that way pretty much assures I will nope out and refuse to answer if st all possible.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    People ask me where I get this lapel pin all the time. It seems appropriate to PRIDE month so here's a link if anyone here would like one:
    https://www.gbfans.com/shop/no-ghost-equality-lapel-pin/
    6AAZGtx.jpg

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Phrasing the question that way pretty much assures I will nope out and refuse to answer if st all possible.

how would you change it?

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    oh hey i was just wondering if we had a new thread yet

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    People ask me where I get this lapel pin all the time. It seems appropriate to PRIDE month so here's a link if anyone here would like one:
    https://www.gbfans.com/shop/no-ghost-equality-lapel-pin/
    6AAZGtx.jpg

this pin almost reads like, no gay ghosts?? or gay people hate ghosts???

why do you hate gay ghosts, man

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Nah, it isn't a rainbow ghost. So it's an LGBT buster pin.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2016
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

how would you change it?

A pretty simple way would be, depending on what they're asking (and if it's relevant, say Dr's office) having a subquestion after M/F asking if you're trans or whatnot.

You could also do a "check all that apply," though you'd probably get more mistakes than with other setups, or you could just have a line for comments (that one is pretty easy and works pretty well, because I can tick off F and then write "MTF trans" and everyone knows exactly what's what).

E: oh wait, I missed your post, because it's not even noon yet so clearly I'm not awake. Nevermind!

Shivahn on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I hate all ghosts equally

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I hate all ghosts equally

Then you're just a horrible misfantasmist.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I used to like pride a lot but lately it's been "gay white dudes are mainstream you don't belong here anymore".

and yeah we've made out like bandits with the acceptance in the last five years and most have spent very little time giving any of that back to the QUILTBAG community so part of me feels like i shouldn't even complain.

so we certainly don't belong in the straight group and we aren't wanted in the original group but the third group we'd make of just ourselves is full of a lot of assholes, quite frankly, and that would just make it worse.

I'm kind of at a loss as to how to make it better.

As long as you're not one of the gay white dudes who pulls up the ladder on trans people and other groups now that you're more accepted, I think you're helping to make things better.

Magic Pink wrote: »
    I used to like pride a lot but lately it's been "gay white dudes are mainstream you don't belong here anymore".

and yeah we've made out like bandits with the acceptance in the last five years and most have spent very little time giving any of that back to the QUILTBAG community so part of me feels like i shouldn't even complain.

so we certainly don't belong in the straight group and we aren't wanted in the original group but the third group we'd make of just ourselves is full of a lot of assholes, quite frankly, and that would just make it worse.

I'm kind of at a loss as to how to make it better.

I'd say just be there, try to be supportive of the causes that need the most attention, and do your best to be self-aware of when the white cis dude stuff might be drowning out people whose voices need a boost. At least, that's my approach to being an ally (even if I drop the ball sometimes on that last bit).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    As long as you're not one of the gay white dudes who pulls up the ladder on trans people and other groups now that you're more accepted, I think you're helping to make things better.

I don't know, that seems like literally the LEAST I can do. Like that should be expected behavior and it certainly fucking isn't. But then that means I'd have to work with gay white guys to show them how selfish our community is and seriously why would I spend my time on that

Magic Pink on
This discussion has been closed.