As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The LGBT Thread

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Nah, it isn't a rainbow ghost. So it's an LGBT buster pin.

Yeah, it's the circle-slash that's rainbow. It's keeping out the white man in the sheet!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Nah, it isn't a rainbow ghost. So it's an LGBT buster pin.

Yeah, it's the circle-slash that's rainbow. It's keeping out the white man in the sheet!

holy crap it is

klan busters

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    As long as you're not one of the gay white dudes who pulls up the ladder on trans people and other groups now that you're more accepted, I think you're helping to make things better.

I don't know, that seems like literally the LEAST I can do. Like that should be expected behavior and it certainly fucking isn't. But then that means I'd have to work with gay white guys to show them how selfish our community is and seriously why would I spend my time on that

Yeah, it's certainly not extra credit, but the sad thing is that what should be "expected behaviour" generally isn't for most sections of society.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This will be the third year my book club will celebrate Pride in Seattle.

We're a majority LGBTQ and generally have a good time.

Last year we turned a tavern into a dance-club and I made-out with a young twenty-something dude & a mid-fifties lady at a gay club.

Which is to say I am a big fan of Pride celebrations.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Philly Pride overlaps with the last weekend of Philly Beer Week. To be honest, I prefer the events of Beer Week way more than Pride, but I may stop by to watch some of the parade if I'm in the area.

• replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, before I clicked on this thread, I definitely thought it was about the actual concept of pride.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'll be honest, before I clicked on this thread, I definitely thought it was about the actual concept of pride.

It's not about a large family group of lesbian, gay, bi, and/or trans lions?

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

To be fair I've changed it back and forth a couple times because I couldn't decide if it was clear enough without LGBT in the title but I guess it wasn't!

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Whats even more fucking rad are the comments on the update on facebook are all super fucking positive

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

I want to be friends with that human on the far left and more than friends with that human on the far right. If only they spoke an actual language.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    This is how you keep a game relevant 2 years later.

• replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

To be fair I've changed it back and forth a couple times because I couldn't decide if it was clear enough without LGBT in the title but I guess it wasn't!

I would guess that it was probably plenty clear to everyone except me, but thanks I guess!

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I think NC's biggest pride events are actually generally held like in the early fall. (Because it gets fucking hot here. And not in the good way.) And besides you're not going to get pride events in eastern NC except maybe in Greeneville or Wilmington? (College towns.)

edit: like the earliest big event I'm seeing is in Charlotte and it's in August

Gundi on
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Obama's final Pride Declaration:
    BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

Since our founding, America has advanced on an unending path toward becoming a more perfect Union. This journey, led by forward-thinking individuals who have set their sights on reaching for a brighter tomorrow, has never been easy or smooth. The fight for dignity and equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people is reflected in the tireless dedication of advocates and allies who strive to forge a more inclusive society. They have spurred sweeping progress by changing hearts and minds and by demanding equal treatment -- under our laws, from our courts, and in our politics. This month, we recognize all they have done to bring us to this point, and we recommit to bending the arc of our Nation toward justice.

Last year's landmark Supreme Court decision guaranteeing marriage equality in all 50 States was a historic victory for LGBT Americans, ensuring dignity for same-sex couples and greater equality across State lines. For every partnership that was not previously recognized under the law and for every American who was denied their basic civil rights, this monumental ruling instilled newfound hope, affirming the belief that we are all more free when we are treated as equals.

LGBT individuals deserve to know their country stands beside them. That is why my Administration is striving to better understand the needs of LGBT adults and to provide affordable, welcoming, and supportive housing to aging LGBT Americans. It is also why we oppose subjecting minors to the harmful practice of conversion therapy, and why we are continuing to promote equality and foster safe and supportive learning environments for all students. We remain committed to addressing health disparities in the LGBT community -- gay and bisexual men and transgender women of color are at a particularly high risk for HIV, and we have worked to strengthen our National HIV/AIDS Strategy to reduce new infections, increase access to care, and improve health outcomes for people living with HIV.

Despite the extraordinary progress of the past few years, LGBT Americans still face discrimination simply for being who they are. I signed an Executive Order in 2014 that prohibits discrimination against Federal employees and contractors on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. I urge the Congress to enact legislation that builds upon the progress we have made, because no one should live in fear of losing their job simply because of who they are or who they love. And our commitment to combatting discrimination against the LGBT community does not stop at our borders: Advancing the fair treatment of all people has long been a cornerstone of American diplomacy, and we have made defending and promoting the human rights of LGBT individuals a priority in our engagement across the globe. In line with America's commitment to the notion that all people should be treated fairly and with respect, champions of this cause at home and abroad are upholding the simple truth that LGBT rights are human rights.

There remains much work to do to extend the promise of our country to every American, but because of the acts of courage of the millions who came out and spoke out to demand justice and of those who quietly toiled and pushed for progress, our Nation has made great strides in recognizing what these brave individuals long knew to be true in their hearts -- that love is love and that no person should be judged by anything but the content of their character. During Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month, as Americans wave their flags of pride high and march boldly forward in parades and demonstrations, let us celebrate how far we have come and reaffirm our steadfast belief in the equal dignity of all Americans.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2016 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon the people of the United States to eliminate prejudice everywhere it exists, and to celebrate the great diversity of the American people.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirty-first day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.

I'm gonna miss him.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    ghosted*

Xehalus on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Those last two paragraphs read like Obama is a wizard.

Which is how I want to remember him.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Officers in one area of Greater Manchester have had extra training to increase their understanding of the different needs of people who find themselves in domestic abuse situations and they will now be able to record the incident with a specific code if the relationship is between members of the LGBT community.

No other police force in the UK has recorded this information before and GMP hopes that its introduction will add to their current work to capture trends and patterns, ultimately leading them to tackle the issue in the most effective way.
    http://www.gmp.police.uk/content/WebsitePages/C032C26B84511D9480257FC70031A0F7

I love my city.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    This will be the third year my book club will celebrate Pride in Seattle.

We're a majority LGBTQ and generally have a good time.

Last year we turned a tavern into a dance-club and I made-out with a young twenty-something dude & a mid-fifties lady at a gay club.

Which is to say I am a big fan of Pride celebrations.

The Bowie is strong with this one.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Aw, man, Bowie and Prince both died this year saddest Pride ever :(

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Those last two paragraphs read like Obama is a wizard.

Which is how I want to remember him.

I read that in his voice.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What is that last flag in the OP?

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    That would be the bisexual pride flag.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Like hanky codes, there are too many flags to fit in one post.

Those three do a pretty good job of capturing all of the intended people, anyway. All of the other flags are subsets within them.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    the kentuckiana pride festival is in two weeks and I am contemplating making a big ole cape out of the bi flag to wear to it

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I'm ecstatic about the patch changes for the Sims. I was kind of feeling that the Sims franchise was starting to slide behind, (They were one of the first games to have same sex relationships as a normal option, but there were still gender restrictions on clothes) but EA/Maxis has really upped their game.

• aStoryAboutYouaStoryAboutYou Registered User regular
    today in Austin there's this big alt-pride event called QueerBomb! have heard rave reviews from people I trust, but it'll be my first, so I'm currently a combo of excited and anxious 8-)

oWv6S12.gif
    I'm guessing "alternative lifestyles"?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Or, more frequently, "I'm not going to regular Pride this year because it's sponsored by Coke and there's nothing even remotely radical about it anymore"

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Or, more frequently, "I'm not going to regular Pride this year because it's sponsored by Coke and there's nothing even remotely radical about it anymore"

Yeah alt-Pride is basically for the people who still feel marginalised by regular Pride

Which nowadays is basically anyone who isn't middle-class white gay people, usually with kids.

Pride, in a lot of major cities, has basically become gentrified as major corporations have become sponsors and white gay dudes have pulled up the ladder on less... easily palatable queer people.

So now there's alt-Pride.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    y'know, it's funny

when I was a teenager, I was a shit-head (that's not the funny part, because that is not really shocking, we were all shit-heads when we were teenagers)

I was a privileged queer youth, a white male who was able to be out and loud about it with little repercussion i wasn't able to handle (in a way that i tightly and violently controlled oh and also i wasn't out to my family and oh and also...)

and a lot of the way I saw my success in being out was by being as cisheteronormatively male as possible. that the reason straights had such a hard time accepting "us" was we were being so fuckin' "queer" about this whole thing, and if we just tried to be more "normal" about it, they'd be more accepting.

so I had a big umbrage with how Pride was back in the day, how radical and showy and naked and sexual it was

I felt it would be better if people toned it down, made it more family friendly, made it more palatable for straight people, it would be more successful

I even counter-protested Pride a couple years when i was young.

I outgrew these notions eventually, fortunately

but the funny part is, what I wanted Pride to be? That's what it has eventually become in many places, thanks to gay white cis males basically agreeing with that viewpoint and realizing they can get ahead by throwing the rest of the queer rainbow under the bus to do it.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    but the funny part is, what I wanted Pride to be? That's what it has eventually become in many places, thanks to gay white cis males basically agreeing with that viewpoint and realizing they can get ahead by throwing the rest of the queer rainbow under the bus to do it.

A beautiful illustration of the danger of making wishes :/

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I know several trans women who specifically don't identify as queer because of how trans folk have been used and ignored.

Worse than the corporations in Pride events, IMO, is the open acceptance of the police - ignoring the abuses they continue to openly leverage against trans folk, and people of color

I do not feel safe around cops

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    today in Austin there's this big alt-pride event called QueerBomb! have heard rave reviews from people I trust, but it'll be my first, so I'm currently a combo of excited and anxious 8-)
    my boyfriend snagged a copy of this week's Chronicle to act as an umbrella before last night's rain, and because he "thought [i'd] be interested in the cover story." he's a good 'un. maybe i'll head down, as my friends have also enthused about it...

lfchwLd.jpg
    I have a question, which I'm afraid will make me sound like a bigot, but what is with the portrayal of the 'gay accent'? At first, I thought it was a media stereotype, but as I began to meet more and more gay men in real life, a good chunk had the accent. I will admit that most of the gentlemen I met came from the same socioeconomic background (white, middle class) but they were from all over North America, and all mixed their local accent with the 'common' one.

I hope I'm not coming across as homophobic, I'm just curious from a lauguage standpoint.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Well, that sorta depends

What do you mean, specifically, when you say "accent"

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I have a question, which I'm afraid will make me sound like a bigot, but what is with the portrayal of the 'gay accent'? At first, I thought it was a media stereotype, but as I began to meet more and more gay men in real life, a good chunk had the accent. I will admit that most of the gentlemen I met came from the same socioeconomic background (white, middle class) but they were from all over North America, and all mixed their local accent with the 'common' one.

I hope I'm not coming across as homophobic, I'm just curious from a lauguage standpoint.

It's an accent that originated near/around San Francisco and became associated with the openly gay movement there going through the 60s. In time it became less of a San Francisco thing and picked up as a trend with other openly gay men in America. For some men it's another way of signifying that you're "out" or living an openly gay lifestyle, but it also got picked up as an easy sterotype for gay men as well and a way to make them seem more effeminate or strange.

edited June 2016
    I'm not even sure it qualifies as an accent, but it's the toned down version of extremely problematic sitcom gay voice.

I guess a lot of people refer to it as 'Flambloyant'

Muzzmuzz on
This discussion has been closed.