As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP Muhammad Ali

Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
sCAb2EU.jpg

The boxing legend was hospitalized in Phoenix Thursday with a respiratory issue that was originally said to be mild, but his condition worsened overnight. Moments ago, NBC confirmed the unfortunate news of his passing. He was 74.

2016, man...

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    fuck

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I actually thought he died decades ago =(

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    damn, 2016's been a pretty shit year. . .

vEaRQgH.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    there are a lot of celebrity deaths here and there but man

this one hurts

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Fucking 2016

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Just got the news flash from my BBC app. *sigh*

My Dad absolutely adores Ali. He's going to be so upset.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Ali dies on my birthday

I can't deal with this year

Xehalus on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    :c
    some art from a friend

uc3ufTB.png
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Ali dies on my birthday

I can't deal with this year

Oh hey, happy birthday!

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hmm

You know, I actually don't really know much about Ali

The greatest, float like a butterfly, all that stuff

I've never actually seen him fight, or know much about him other than he converted to Islam and was considered maybe the best boxer of all time

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    2016 is the worst

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Fuck. He always seemed like a good guy, with a well-earned arrogance but someone who knew his goals.

My dad's 69 this year, and the docs are saying he has the classic syndromes of Parkinson's. So.. this hits a bit close to home.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Hmm

I've never actually seen him fight, or know much about him other than he converted to Islam and was considered maybe the best boxer of all time

The way to think about Muhammed Ali is he was a Character Action Game hero that somehow existed in real-life.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Ali had a home in southwest Michigan and my dad and grandpa were lucky enough to get the job to install new floor coverings in it. He was super cool and I guess he just sat and watched them, offered them drinks and food all the time, and then gave them a bunch of signed photographs when they were finished. One was hung above the bed that I slept in whenever I stayed the night over at my grandparent's house. It feels weird to know that he's gone now, even though that was the only connection I had to Ali.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Real footage of Ali's fights and antics should be posted here, but I am a huge fan of ERB and Key & Peele's work, and you can really see the love for Ali in this piece.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    Hmm

The way to think about Muhammed Ali is he was a Character Action Game hero that somehow existed in real-life.

edited June 2016
    Hmm

He won a gold medal in the Rome Olympics in 1960. He went into a diner when he returned home "feeling ten feet tall" and was told that they didn't serve "his kind." He threw his medal into a river that night.

He became involved with the Nation of Islam soon afterwards, eventually dropping his "slave name" of Cassius Clay to become Muhammad Ali. He campaigned for civil rights.

He turned professional boxer pretty much immediately after the Olympics and rose to fame in the run up to his fight with Liston, then an unbeaten professional. People tuned in to watch the kid who'd been bragging that he was going to destroy Liston get the snot beat out of him, only to watch him destroy Liston exactly as promised.

In 1967 he refused the draft to fight in Vietnam. It was a huge deal and was widely criticised at the time as anti-patriotic and un-American. He didn't fight again until his conviction for refusing the draft was overturned four years later.

He retired from boxing in 1981. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease a few years later. He lit the torch at the Olympic Games in Atlanta in 1996 - I can still remember the commentator getting choked up when he was revealed. He spoke on TV in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks about his faith and how no right thinking Muslim would ever agree with what had been done. He helped carry the Olympic flag at the opening ceremony of the 2012 Games in London.

That's all I can think of right now. Like I said, Dad's kind of obsessed with this guy.

Desktop Hippie on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I don't know what's weirder

How I feel about thinking he had already passed away, or noticing very quickly that I was not the only one in that boat

2016 sucks

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    Hmm

He won a gold medal in the Rome Olympics in 1960. He went into a diner when he returned home "feeling ten feet tall" and was told that they didn't serve his kind. He threw his medal into a river that night.

He became involved with the Nation of Islam soon afterwards, eventually dropping his "slave name" of Cassius Clay to become Muhammad Ali. He campaigned for civil rights.

He turned professional boxer pretty much immediately after the Olympics and rose to fame in the run up to his fight with Liston, then an unbeaten professional. People tuned in to watch the kid who'd been bragging that he was going to destroy Liston get the snot beat out of him, only to watch him destroy Liston exactly as promised.

In 1967 he refused the draft to fight in Vietnam. It was a huge deal and was widely criticised at the time as anti-patriotic and un-American. He didn't fight again until his conviction for refusing the draft was overturned four years later.

He retired from boxing in 1981. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease a few years later. He lit the torch at the Olympic Games in Atlanta in 1996 - I can still remember the commentator getting choked up when he was revealed. He spoke on TV in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks about his faith and how no right thinking Muslim would ever agree with what had been done. He helped carry the Olympic flag at the opening ceremony of the 2012 Games in London.

That's all I can think of right now. Like I said, Dad's kind of obsessed with this guy.

You missed the part between beating Liston and refusing the draft where he defended his world championship title like 6 times. He proceeded to be stripped of his title for refusing to enter the draft, was denied his passport and would not be licensed to box by any professional organization in the USA for 5 years, during which he was also convicted for draft evasion and sentenced to jail (though he didn't do 5 years in jail).

He gave up all of his professional success at the height of his career to oppose the draft and to protest for civil rights in an era which had legalized racism. I am surprised he was not in fact murdered for his very public stance and appearances.

By any definition and by any standard, his feats are heroic.

l_g wrote: »
    Hmm

He won a gold medal in the Rome Olympics in 1960. He went into a diner when he returned home "feeling ten feet tall" and was told that they didn't serve his kind. He threw his medal into a river that night.

You missed the part between beating Liston and refusing the draft where he defended his world championship title like 6 times. He proceeded to be stripped of his title for refusing to enter the draft, was denied his passport and would not be licensed to box by any professional organization in the USA for 5 years, during which he was also convicted for draft evasion and sentenced to jail (though he didn't do 5 years in jail).

He gave up all of his professional success at the height of his career to oppose the draft and to protest for civil rights in an era which had legalized racism. I am surprised he was not in fact murdered for his very public stance and appearances.

By any definition and by any standard, his feats are heroic.

I missed thousands of things but yeah, that one's a biggie.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i really have no words for this

let me just listen to this and be sad.

i knew he wasn't doing too hot these past few years, but man

https://youtu.be/rtZXgfdauBY

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• TamTam Registered User regular
    God damn it

• simosimo Registered User regular
    like it shouldn't matter how good of a boxer he was, his social contributions were so great

but he was one of the most dominant sports figures of all time while being unquestionably the most charismatic sports figure of all time as well as the most influential sports figure of all time

he was quite literally the greatest

bugss2.jpg
    Athenor wrote: »
    My dad's 69 this year, and the docs are saying he has the classic syndromes of Parkinson's. So.. this hits a bit close to home.

Damn, sorry to hear that.

• simosimo Registered User regular
    i still remember my dad describing the rope-a-dope to me

it was one of the most formative myths of my childhood, and really helped instill in me a love of sport and its possibility

i honestly can't think of a figure who seems BIGGER to me than muhammad ali

it's like hearing zeus died

bugss2.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I used to watch his matches with my grandfather on tv. Man...

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    simo wrote: »
    i still remember my dad describing the rope-a-dope to me

it was one of the most formative myths of my childhood, and really helped instill in me a love of sport and its possibility

i honestly can't think of a figure who seems BIGGER to me than muhammad ali

it's like hearing zeus died

Yeah, somehow it seems... unbelievable

He was a living legend in the most literal sense

They can't die

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Real footage of Ali's fights and antics should be posted here, but I am a huge fan of ERB and Key & Peele's work, and you can really see the love for Ali in this piece.

This is a great tribute.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Ali ended his second fight with Liston (undefeated before Ali beat him the first time) with a punch that took 4/100ths of a second to reach its target

It was so fast most people didn't even see him land it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited June 2016

Like I said, real-life Character Action Game hero. All of the charisma, too!

l_g on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'll always respect Muhammed Ali for beating Superman in a boxing match

(seriously, though, the guy seemed pretty frikkin' rad IRL)

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I read that he wasn't doing well earlier tonight and I had a bad feeling but i didn't expect it to happen that quickly.

Another sad, sad loss in 2016.